PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Saturday,Jan.08

denime
01-08-2011, 06:29 AM
Mornin'

Reds Introduce New Regime (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/reds-introduce-new-regime)

De Rosario Expected Back This Month (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/de-rosario-expected-back-month)

Toronto FC targets Canadian striker Ornoch (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2011/01/07/16801706.html)

Winter to revamp Toronto FC's style (http://www.canada.com/sports/Winter+revamp+Toronto+style/4074873/story.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

razor787
01-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Morning D

I hope we don't get Ornach. He is the quality we need, but this is a gold cup year. We already have Cann Attakora DeRo and DeGuzman that we have to worry about leaving. Adding in more canadiens will either kill TFC in a few matches, and drop points, or leave a hole in the nats.

As much as I want to see Ornach in a red shirt, him being canadian has to force some debate on if it's worth sacrificing one team to make the other stronger.

sully
01-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Morning D

I hope we don't get Ornach. He is the quality we need, but this is a gold cup year. We already have Cann Attakora DeRo and DeGuzman that we have to worry about leaving. Adding in more canadiens will either kill TFC in a few matches, and drop points, or leave a hole in the nats.

As much as I want to see Ornach in a red shirt, him being canadian has to force some debate on if it's worth sacrificing one team to make the other stronger.

Agree with you absolutely, but wasn't there was a 2 week break for the World Cup....I would hope the same thing would be put in place for the gold cup..

lips
01-08-2011, 08:20 AM
mornin'

BS1327
01-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Agree with you absolutely, but wasn't there was a 2 week break for the World Cup....I would hope the same thing would be put in place for the gold cup..

I remember reading somewhere Garber said they wouldn't be breaking for the gold cup.

Razcle
01-08-2011, 09:48 AM
keep in mind Ornach only has like 3-5 caps for the nats. He is no where near automatic to be playing in the Gold cup. I am not doubting his ability considers a look however we have not seen him often enough to believe he will make this squad.

sully
01-08-2011, 09:59 AM
I remember reading somewhere Garber said they wouldn't be breaking for the gold cup.

I really hope not, but wouldn't be surprised. Why does MLS make it hard to like it...

denime
01-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Morning D

I hope we don't get Ornach.He is the quality we need, but this is a gold cup year. We already have Cann Attakora DeRo and DeGuzman that we have to worry about leaving. Adding in more canadiens will either kill TFC in a few matches, and drop points, or leave a hole in the nats.

Morning and I have to Disagree on this one.

Why give up on a good Canadian player because he might be called to play for NT,what about other good players who might get injured and miss more than 2 weeks?

I rather have a starting line up made up from NT players than line up with Garcia,Hscanovics,Mista,Usanov ..... ;)

Darlofletch
01-08-2011, 10:54 AM
My thoughts on the new regime. long term good, short term?
I'm very slow at this apparently, but hey check out my pun.

winterlicious (http://www.cruelgeography.com/2011/01/winterlicious.html)

:leaving:

Yeoman
01-08-2011, 10:57 AM

Why give up on a good Canadian player because he might be called to play for NT,what about other good players who might get injured and miss more than 2 weeks?

I rather have a starting line up made up from NT players than line up with Garcia,Hscanovics,Mista,Usanov ..... ;)

remember playing dallas in 08 and having to emergency sign players from scouting? did we not also someone from vanciteh as well?
i'd rather not field more canadians that are NT team players. i'd rather risk another nationality.

denime
01-08-2011, 11:16 AM
remember playing dallas in 08 and having to emergency sign players from scouting? did we not also someone from vanciteh as well?
i'd rather not field more canadians that are NT team players. i'd rather risk another nationality.

In that case we should get rid of our top Academy players too,since they are already U20 and U21 NT players and have a very good chance to be a CMNT players one day.

Why invest money into good Canadian players who might play for CMNT and miss a game or two over the year,lets sign and pay fortune for retirement ready international washout or an East European 2nd division average player who doesn't play for his NT.:facepalm:

It's very simple ,if we can sign good player who can improve our team,SIGN him,and on top of that Ornoch developed in Holland,so 4-3-3 is nothing new for him,something we can't say for the most of our tiny roster.

Pookie
01-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Funny. Don't sign a talented striker because he is Canadian but it's ok to re-up with a Canadian, give him a DP tag and expect him to bolt for national duty?

Sign players that are talented and can play in the system. Period.

The other little gem in that story is that Bas Ent is planning on being here.

Yeoman
01-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Funny. Don't sign a talented striker because he is Canadian but it's ok to re-up with a Canadian, give him a DP tag and expect him to bolt for national duty?

Sign players that are talented and can play in the system. Period.

The other little gem in that story is that Bas Ent is planning on being here.

this is it.
too many people run around here thinking we need canadians, it just doesn't work at the size that we have it at right now.
right now we're small fish in this big world of soccer. who knows, with all that's happening right now? maybe in ten years time, we won't have to sweat it out so much about having four or five players that are for sure players for CMNT. but for now? we have to chatter our teeth about that.
there's a big difference of our players, playing on the academy, and getting called up. yes we've had two get called up, but they stuck out like sore thumbs when i've watched them play over their sheer talent compared to the rest of the players in the CSL.

TFCRegina
01-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Morning D

Ornoch probably won't get the call for the Gold Cup though. We have Occean, Friend, Jackson, Hume, Simpson and Ricketts who are all high level forwards. Ornoch is probably ahead of Ricketts but behind the other five in the depth chart.

boban
01-08-2011, 12:10 PM

Don't agree with much you have to say but this I do.

AL-MO
01-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Toronto FC targets Canadian striker Ornoch (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2011/01/07/16801706.html)

Heard about him possibly signing last week.

boban
01-08-2011, 12:15 PM
this is it.
too many people run around here thinking we need canadians, it just doesn't work at the size that we have it at right now.
right now we're small fish in this big world of soccer. who knows, with all that's happening right now? maybe in ten years time, we won't have to sweat it out so much about having four or five players that are for sure players for CMNT. but for now? we have to chatter our teeth about that.
there's a big difference of our players, playing on the academy, and getting called up. yes we've had two get called up, but they stuck out like sore thumbs when i've watched them play over their sheer talent compared to the rest of the players in the CSL.
But the long term goal of developing Canadian players should not be forgotten or abandoned. We have to set examples for your kids in this country to pursue their soccer dreams, and you could do it in this country.
Not signing him because he could bolt for the MNT is pure stupidity.
Thats more of an issue with MLS more than anything else.

TFCRegina
01-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Oh and i forgot one other player that is ahead of Ornoch in the CMNT depth chart: Ali Gerba, who remains Canada's most productive striker of the past 4 years at the international level.

Suds
01-08-2011, 12:21 PM
MLS Combine Gets Underway

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/mls-combine-gets-underway

TFC supporters can watch matches from the combine live on Saturday courtesy of MLSsoccer.com by clicking on the links below:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/?catid=1916&id=11030

http://www.mlssoccer.com/?catid=1916&id=11031

TFCRegina
01-08-2011, 12:24 PM
In that case we should get rid of our top Academy players too,since they are already U20 and U21 NT players and have a very good chance to be a CMNT players one day.

Why invest money into good Canadian players who might play for CMNT and miss a game or two over the year,lets sign and pay fortune for retirement ready international washout or an East European 2nd division average player who doesn't play for his NT.:facepalm:

It's very simple ,if we can sign good player who can improve our team,SIGN him,and on top of that Ornoch developed in Holland,so 4-3-3 is nothing new for him,something we can't say for the most of our tiny roster.

And, as I pointed out, no fewer than 5 to 6 players will receive CMNT call ups to the Gold Cup before Andrew Ornoch.

The reality is guys: TFC will not send many players to the 2011 Gold Cup. It will be our A+ squad.

It's almost 90% sure that De Ro will not be called up as he doesn't fit into Hart's 4-5-1.

Attakora will likely be called and will sit most of the time.

Cann won't receive a call up.

Lindsay may (depending on form) be called up for depth and capping purposes. It should be noted that Josh Simpson plays the left forward winger in the 4-5-1, so he definitely wouldn't start.

Henry won't be called.

Ashtone Morgan (a left back eligible for Jamaica) might receive a call to cap tie him, but it should be noted that Marcel De Jong and Klukowski both are ahead of Morgan in the leftback depth chart.

JDG will likely be called but his squad status as a first teamer is in question, due to Dunfield's performances (along with some of the European based youngsters performances) in the DM position and Atiba Hutchinson becoming the number 1 man in the Canadian squad (IE: The playmaker the squad is built around).

Basically we might lose 2-3 players, but probably only 1-2. And Ornoch won't be one of them barring several serious injuries.

Yeoman
01-08-2011, 01:18 PM
But the long term goal of developing Canadian players should not be forgotten or abandoned. We have to set examples for your kids in this country to pursue their soccer dreams, and you could do it in this country.
Not signing him because he could bolt for the MNT is pure stupidity.
Thats more of an issue with MLS more than anything else.

personally, i'd rather have him go to one of the other big three in the country
spreading it out, rather than having a chunk on the same team.

TFCRegina
01-08-2011, 01:20 PM
personally, i'd rather have him go to one of the other big three in the country
spreading it out, rather than having a chunk on the same team.

Yeoman, the reality of the situation is that Ornoch isn't a flight risk for the Gold Cup. There are no less than 6 people who receive calls before he will. He's a B/C squad player.

Yeoman
01-08-2011, 01:29 PM
he'll be in shape and on the continent. i won't be holding my breath on it

TFCRegina
01-08-2011, 01:32 PM
he'll be in shape and on the continent. i won't be holding my breath on it

And this is the Confed Cup Qualifiers. It isn't the 2013 Gold Cup, a nothing tournament. I doubt that Ornoch will be getting the call ahead of any one of those that I mentioned. Oh yeah, and there's Julian Uccello I forgot to add on that list.

Yeoman
01-08-2011, 01:39 PM
*shrug* you've got your way of seeing it, i've got mine i suppose eh?

TFCRegina
01-08-2011, 01:43 PM
*shrug* you've got your way of seeing it, i've got mine i suppose eh?

Fair enough.

Jeffro
01-08-2011, 01:57 PM

Yep, so we should only look at players from second rate soccer nations that don't qualify for major tournaments, and second rate players uncapped by Euro teams. :facepalm:

Don't build a squad that is capable of performing when two or three players are out for whatever reason.

TFCRegina
01-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Yep, so we should only look at players from second rate soccer nations that don't qualify for major tournaments, and second rate players uncapped by Euro teams. :facepalm:

Don't build a squad that is capable of performing when two or three players are out for whatever reason.

Because all of our capped Europeans have been fucking awesome...like Mista.

Jeffro
01-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Wow man, when's the last time Mista got called up by Spain? Get a grip.

Jeffro
01-08-2011, 02:25 PM
^that wasn't rhetorical, it was more than 5 years ago, and he was capped twice, and once for the u21s.

razor787
01-08-2011, 04:42 PM

the problem isn't signing someone Canadian exactly, it's signing too many people that will be away on the same days. I don't want another game where we lose 9 players to international callups.

I want us to be competitive week in and week out, and be a strong side even if we lose members to the nats. I know Ornach would be a great fit, but in my eyes, we either pass him by, or let go of a good Canadian we already have.

He may not be guaranteed to go, but he is a quality player and he may receive a callup or two. Attakora and Cann (even as subs) both have a shot of getting picked, same with DeRo and guzman. That's already 4 players. Plus there's the chance of a player from another nat team might get called up as well. Losses need to be kept in moderation.

Toronto Ruffrider
01-08-2011, 05:16 PM

Agreed wholeheartedly, denime. Yes, it sucks to lose one's best players to international duty, but what is better, having good players for most of the season or having shitty players for the entire season?

razor787
01-08-2011, 05:30 PM
There are players as good or better out there that wony have that problem

alex andrew
01-08-2011, 05:30 PM
as far as i know canada ranks behind cape verde islands , libya, uganda, saudi arabia.

always wondered why tfc wants all those de guzmans, deros, etc.

shhh, hey, they are superstars, they play the national team.

ok, ok, i understand, but cape verde islands ? dero ? de guzman ? half a million dollars ? one million dollars ?

for what exactly ?

i'd rather have a team of 30 football and career hungry 80k a year lads that know how to stop a ball and keep their heads up.

v00d00daddy
01-08-2011, 05:37 PM
I don't know anything about Ornoch but if what some are saying here is true (him being 5th or 6th on the depth chart for the CMNT)...then why the hell would we want him?

If the guy is good then TFC should give him a look.

If he's not good enough to crack the top 5 striker list of Canadian footballers then I don't know what to say or expect.

I may have missed it but I don't remember hearing any news about the Canadian team having a plethora of MLS calibre strikers.

TFCRegina
01-09-2011, 03:23 AM
I don't know anything about Ornoch but if what some are saying here is true (him being 5th or 6th on the depth chart for the CMNT)...then why the hell would we want him?

If he's not good enough to crack the top 5 striker list of Canadian footballers then I don't know what to say or expect.

I may have missed it but I don't remember hearing any news about the Canadian team having a plethora of MLS calibre strikers.

The reason why we'd want him is he's been playing in a very technical league with a similar style of play to that which we want to play, which is of a higher level than some of the guys on the depth chart (like Gerba). We'd also want him because he's young and fairly cheap to acquire. He also wants to be here.

seankeay
01-09-2011, 10:55 AM

30-man roster, we are looking for depth with this signing and he is a kid who wants to come home. Hes a target man, something we have lacked since Dichio left and could really shine as the front man in our 3 striker system.

While, it is up to debate on how good he is.. (I have only seen him a few times) You cannot judge every player we bring in like he is going to be a major part of our franchise.

We have 12 open roster spots at the moment, warm talented bodies are needed.