PDA

View Full Version : Glidden Withdraws As KKKrew Jersey Sponsor

Redcoe15
01-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Looks as if paint manufacturer Glidden has decided it's not worth it anymore to have their name on those piss stained kits of Columbus' :D

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/01/07/glidden-withdraws-as-jersey-sponsor.html?sid=101

Oldtimer
01-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Obviously, being a sponsor of a team that few residents have ever even heard of, in a city that no-one would want to be associated with, doesn't pay big dividends.

I guess they won't be springing for any new DPs soon.

Cashcleaner
01-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Perhaps the company didn't want to be painted with the same brush as all those racist Crew fans.

GET IT?!

Eastend
01-07-2011, 09:37 PM
From a league perspective that's too bad.

razor787
01-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Most jersey deals are 2-5million? Lets assume that ours is 2.5 mil. With that, they are already paying for out roster. No reason why TFC doesnt have a 3 DP's since they arent paying much (if any) of the teams salary.

DOMIN8R
01-07-2011, 09:49 PM
That team should be moved to a more viable market (Las Vegas, Miami, NY, other).

deltox
01-07-2011, 09:54 PM
the league pays the players salaries

Brooker
01-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Virgin to be the new sponsor?

Carts
01-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Fitting sponsor...

WASTE CO. GARBAGE SERVICES...

TIDY KATS KITTY LITTER...

STINKIES POOPER SCOOPER...

Waggy
01-07-2011, 11:11 PM
I wonder... if enough TFC fans donated could WE sponsor their jersey? We couldn't use KKK or TFC or anything, but we could just do TORONTO. Or some hilariously named real company (ie Beaver Cleaners). It'd be pretty funny

razor787
01-07-2011, 11:12 PM
We could... but that would also mean we are supporting their club. Our joke would end up back on us, as the idiots that supported their rival.

Waggy
01-08-2011, 12:03 AM
We could... but that would also mean we are supporting their club. Our joke would end up back on us, as the idiots that supported their rival.

At this stage of the MLS, someone will sponsor them. It's not like it was even 3 or 4 years ago where no company would pay to sponsor a soccer team. Some corporation'll pay. But ya it's still a good point.

__wowza
01-08-2011, 12:37 AM
http://f00.inventorspot.com/images/logo1.gif

you may now expand on this idea.

CretanBull
01-08-2011, 12:45 AM
Most jersey deals are 2-5million? Lets assume that ours is 2.5 mil. With that, they are already paying for out roster. No reason why TFC doesnt have a 3 DP's since they arent paying much (if any) of the teams salary.

TFC and BMO signed a contract extention this past summer that will make them our kit sponsors until 2015 at $4 million a year. It ranged between $1 and $1.5 million during the first four years.

razor787
01-08-2011, 01:25 AM
Ok, so MLSE can use that 4 million to sign a whole roster, and use the 1.3 thats left on a DP (DeGuzman). All MLSE has to put out is the money for the DP's. What the hell is stopping them?

Suds
01-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Ok, so MLSE can use that 4 million to sign a whole roster, and use the 1.3 thats left on a DP (DeGuzman). All MLSE has to put out is the money for the DP's. What the hell is stopping them?

well, they did just commit $17 million to a training facility so I guess we can say some of that cash is spoken for ... but I get your point

Batman
01-08-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm gettting tired of the KKK references.

As far as I'm aware the Crew have one xenophobic supporter, Bill Archer.

I know it's all supposedly "in fun" .. but still, can't we do better than this.

Suds
01-08-2011, 10:43 AM

I agree ...but that said, it's not true it's just one person. They were investigated by the MLS and their own team for racial slurs thrown at Rev's player during a game. It was clearly heard in videos posted online.

Brooker
01-08-2011, 02:57 PM
if they're getting a new sponsor they may as well get a new logo

EDIT: it was a cartoon of their logo with a KKKlansman in it. 150x150 for gods sake. Joke gone too far my ass, Cretan. Grow a pair.

Pigfynn
01-08-2011, 03:14 PM
^^You should probably take that down dude.

CretanBull
01-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Joke gone too far, we don't need pics of the KKK around here - not even in jest.

DavydMT
01-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Some numbers from 2008. And from what i understand team keeps money from the jersey deals as it is not part of the revenue sharing.

Los Angeles Galaxy – Herbalife – $4-5 million per year
Seattle Sounders FC – XBox 360 Live (Microsoft) – $4 million per year
DC United - Volkswagen – $3.1-3.7 million per year
Chicago Fire – Best Buy – $2-4 million per year
Chivas USA – Comex Group – $2 million per year
Houston Dynamo – Amigo Energy – $1.9 million per year
Toronto FC – Bank of Montreal – $1-1.5 million per year
Columbus Crew - Glidden – $1 million per year
Real Salt Lake – XanGo – $1 million per year
San Jose Earthquakes - Amway Global - $2-3 million per year

Putting your companies name on the stadium is one thing, but in my opinion jersey deal pays very little dividend for the sponsor.

Canada72
01-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Minimum deal allowed is $500,000
See Page 17
http://www.dcunited.com/sites/default/files/pdf/baltimore-soccer-stadium-study.pdf
It also says
"Toronto FC signed a multi-year renewal of its jersey partnership for approximately three times its initial jersey deal of $1 million to $1.5 million "
"Toronto FC Bank of Montreal (BMO) $4 million-plus"

canadian_bhoy
01-08-2011, 04:50 PM
A mile down the road, they can get 100,000 people to show up every other week for a football game. Yet this joke of a club can't gain more than 13-15k per game. I'm sure that choosing the colour of Ohio State's biggest rivals doesn't help, but at the end of the day, the Crew are a joke.

PS -- anyone else cringe when they saw Crew Stadium in the background of the Golden Voice Ted Williams video?

Oldtimer
01-08-2011, 04:50 PM

... however Bill Archer has many supporters in Columbus, unfortunately they hold to many of the same values.

Columbus actually has a very troubled history with race relations and the incidents at their stadium (there was actually more than one) just reflect some of that.

CretanBull
01-08-2011, 04:55 PM
if they're getting a new sponsor they may as well get a new logo

EDIT: it was a cartoon of their logo with a KKKlansman in it. 150x150 for gods sake. Joke gone too far my ass, Cretan. Grow a pair.

As a group we get judged by the things posted here. When people are giving us shit, it's not your phone that's ringing is it?

BeerBaron95
01-08-2011, 04:56 PM
As a group we get judged by the things posted here. When people are giving us shit, it's not your phone that's ringing is it?

is it yours?

CretanBull
01-08-2011, 05:04 PM
is it yours?

Our leaders have enough fires to put out that we don't need to be inviting more problems and negative attention. And yes, I do hear about it and have to personally deal with it.

Roogsy
01-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Our leaders have enough fires to put out that we don't need to be inviting more problems and negative attention. And yes, I do hear about it and have to personally deal with it.

I applaud Cretan Bull for stepping in and standing up for this group. It doesn't have to always be a mod or an exec that shuts things down. Isn't it better when we control each other as a group and we are all responsible for the image this group sends out to the public rather than having to have our "PR" people put out fires? We are all each individually responsible for the image of RPB and TFC fans in general. Otherwise, it could very well lead us down the road of "Crew" fans who have a horrible rep out of their own doing.

Thank you CB.

As for the joke, I think it's fine but we should keep it as limited as possible. Let's leave the good "material" for banners at Crew stadium. :D

Waggy
01-08-2011, 06:26 PM
[quote=Suds;1196841]
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor787 http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=1196806#post1196806)

well, they did just commit $17 million to a training facility so I guess we can say some of that cash is spoken for ... but I get your point [/quote=Suds; 1196841]

MLS pays all salaries outside of DP money. Any income like that I believe gets split between the league and the club, with the club required to put a large percentage back into the club. I believe that's the current set up anyways, it may have changed in the new CBA. So all they could use that for is Designated players and scouting/stadium upgrades. (For other clubs I suppose if they're losing money they don't have to spend it)

Brooker
01-08-2011, 06:48 PM

I see what your getting at... but honestly, that's nothing. do you look at other clubs message boards? jeez.

Anyways FUCK COLUMBUS.

MartinUtd
01-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Was going to make a joke about Stormfront being the new sponsor... I think I'll leave it up to your imaginations now.

Kevvv
01-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Lumping the crew in with the KKK is as offensive as calling them gays, or calling other supporters by their ethnicity.

CretanBull
01-08-2011, 07:04 PM
I see what your getting at... but honestly, that's nothing. do you look at other clubs message boards? jeez.

Anyways FUCK COLUMBUS.

I don't, but for some reason ours seems to be a lightening rod for controversy...and there's always someone (like out buddy bill archer) who's looking to turn a molehill into a mountain - especially if they can make us look bad.

But yes, fuck Columbus :D

madcow
01-08-2011, 08:11 PM
They could use this, it only has one K but the idea is clear.

http://www.coolmarketingthoughts.com/images/funnylogos-6.jpg

razor787
01-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Is it just me... or does that look like two stick people having sex?

Oldtimer
01-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah, it's probably time to kill the KKK jokes. As offensive as Bill Archer is (and he's plenty offensive), and as much as there seems a fair amount of xenophobia and sometimes racism associated with Columbus, it's not the Crew's fault. In fact, they've done what they can to eliminate it from the stadium, and they have no control over Big Sawker, where Bill preaches his message of hate.

So... we need a new dissing nickname for the team in one of the crappiest cities in America.

I'll start: maybe the Crew Cuts?

LesH
01-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Is it just me... or does that look like two stick people having sex?

+1 .

ManUtd4ever
01-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Yeah, it's probably time to kill the KKK jokes. As offensive as Bill Archer is (and he's plenty offensive), and as much as there seems a fair amount of xenophobia and sometimes racism associated with Columbus, it's not the Crew's fault. In fact, they've done what they can to eliminate it from the stadium, and they have no control over Big Sawker, where Bill preaches his message of hate.

So... we need a new dissing nickname for the team in one of the crappiest cities in America.

I'll start: maybe the Crew Cuts?

Isn't it bad enough that Crew supporters have to live in Columbus? A cruel nickname is just adding insult to injury...

Waggy
01-09-2011, 01:21 AM
I dunno how funny it'd be on the shirts, but the jokes and the videos would be awesome. We could even ship em a crate free! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbsSeVr5NSI

Brooker
01-09-2011, 02:04 AM

it is and will forever be the KKKrew. :)

Keystone FC
01-09-2011, 03:57 AM
A mile down the road, they can get 100,000 people to show up every other week for a football game. Yet this joke of a club can't gain more than 13-15k per game. I'm sure that choosing the colour of Ohio State's biggest rivals doesn't help, but at the end of the day, the Crew are a joke.
Iowa? Now if the Crew were Navy and Yellow then there would be some upset Ohio soccer fans...plus when you throw in the fact that TFC sports a colour scheme more in line with the Buckeye$ than the Crew does it can get a bit weird for some Ohioans.
This was also brought up when Columbus got their (sic, giggle) NHL club (I'm sorry but it still just seems wrong for CBus to have a NHL club) and called them the Blue Jackets many thought it might turn away fans for having the word BLUE in the team name.

PS -- anyone else cringe when they saw Crew Stadium in the background of the Golden Voice Ted Williams video?
No, it just reminded me that Crew stadium is in a shithole part of CBus and that there is pure talent a few yards away that the Crew never saw.

__wowza
01-09-2011, 05:46 PM
it is and will forever be the KKKrew. :)

agreed. :scarf:

Technorgasm
01-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Fitting sponsor...

WASTE CO. GARBAGE SERVICES...

TIDY KATS KITTY LITTER...

STINKIES POOPER SCOOPER...

oil dry / Johnny cat is headquartered in Columbus .. .
If I could get 4-8% of the deal I might put in a good word for them . . .