PDA

View Full Version : 4-3-3 formation

Nuvinho
01-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Who fits and who doesn't from the current TFC roster?

They could also play the 4-2-3-1 with 2 wingers like the current dutch national team.

If you play with 2 defensive midfielders I see JDG with Sturgis. We need to address the 2 wing back positions, the 2 flanks, and year after year strikers :)

Ossington Mental Youth
01-07-2011, 09:15 AM
we still got a ton of players to come, im gonna wait til then, i wouldnt be surprised to see some of our current roster leave next season (ie peterson, Labrocca)

Nuvinho
01-07-2011, 09:17 AM
I keep saying this, like a broken record, Cronin would of been a player Aron Winter would of loved to have on his team.

maninb
01-07-2011, 09:27 AM
^Yup but Preki had it in for Cronin from day One, since Sam was seen as a potential leader, and Preki hates those type of players since it always has to be about himself...just look how he ran Robbo out of town...

ag futbol
01-07-2011, 09:27 AM
I keep saying this, like a broken record, Cronin would of been a player Aron Winter would of loved to have on his team.
*groan* so true. What an incredibly stupid short sighted move that was.

Players who fit the 4-3-3:

Lindsay, Gomez, JDG, and Santos for sure. Few other maybes in there, including Dero, Barrett (work rate would come in handy), and LaBrocca.

I think one of Cann and Attakora will be necessary but not both because neither is top level when it comes to distribution.

^Yup but Preki had it in for Cronin from day One, since Sam was seen as a potential leader, and Preki hates those type of players since it always has to be about himself...just look how he ran Robbo out of town...
I think it was more like Preki liked battering rams in the middle and Sam Cronin is closer to the Gilberto Silva "invisible wall" type.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Re: Cronin
man, im still not convinced of it, he was awful on the wings and capable in the mid, nothing special, definitely better than what we had (ie the croat-argie) but still nothing to write home about

JonO
01-07-2011, 09:39 AM
we still got a ton of players to come, im gonna wait til then, i wouldnt be surprised to see some of our current roster leave next season (ie peterson, Labrocca)
Not sure how labrocca will fit it, but I think Peterson will suprise many. There was a noticible improvement in his play when Daso took over from Preki last year. I think this style will suit his game. Only time till tell...

BeerBaron95
01-07-2011, 09:47 AM
man, im still not convinced of it, he was awful on the wings and capable in the mid, nothing special, definitely better than what we had (ie the croat-argie) but still nothing to write home about

Thank you!! I wish ppl on here would stop the man crush with Cronin and jump off his %&@# already

he wasnt that great for him to be missed that much

Also lets hold off on potential formations till we have a full squad and get an idea who will be on the field and who is riding the bench

Roogsy
01-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Thank you!! I wish ppl on here would stop the man crush with Cronin and jump off his %&@# already

he wasnt that great for him to be missed that much

Also lets hold off on potential formations till we have a full squad and get an idea who will be on the field and who is riding the bench

Actually, people liked Cronin because of his attitude, consistency, hard work and effectiveness relative to his very cheap contract. Even I can appreciate that and I'm the guy that defends DeRo! :lol: The man was making 70k and was taking our corners and free kicks. He was filling in for DM whenever we needed. He even played defense when we were short. He was such a useful player. And we shipped him out for what? Players like that aren't difficult to find no, but ones that want to be here and at his price? Most definitely.

BeerBaron95
01-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Actually, people liked Cronin because of his attitude, consistency, hard work and effectiveness relative to his very cheap contract. Even I can appreciate that and I'm the guy that defends DeRo! :lol: The man was making 70k and was taking our corners and free kicks. He was filling in for DM whenever we needed. He even played defense when we were short. He was such a useful player. And we shipped him out for what? Players like that aren't difficult to find no, but ones that want to be here and at his price? Most definitely.

Cmon man.... we can go in circles going back and forth comparing skill, attitude etc etc vs value.. and we would get nowhere.. direct you to Dero arguments over the past 2 months.

Did he come cheap, sure.. would he have continued his consistency here, debatable.

will ppl still ride his bandwagon if this season we find someone similar to him at an even cheaper price or around the same?

We need to stop living in the past and what could have been with certain players.. what good does that do anyways? we had buddle, casey, cunningham and the liost goes on. blah blah blah who gives a F.

New management team in place and i have reason to be excited... dont care who was here.. i wanna see who's coming.. pickin' up what im putting down?
:flare::flare::flare:

Ossington Mental Youth
01-07-2011, 10:12 AM
We need to stop living in the past and what could have been with certain players.. what good does that do anyways? we had buddle, casey, cunningham and the liost goes on. blah blah blah who gives a F.

New management team in place and i have reason to be excited... dont care who was here.. i wanna see who's coming.. pickin' up what im putting down?
:flare::flare::flare:

So key right here

Chewy Unikronik
01-07-2011, 10:20 AM
I thought they were looking at 3-4-3?

Detroit_TFC
01-07-2011, 10:25 AM
It's going to take an open mind and some real effort on the part of the current players to adopt a new approach. Some will and some won't. At least players coming in might have an idea what is expected of them instead of the fucking merry-go-round we've had over the last four years.

ag futbol
01-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Based on what we have/ has been rumored:

Ornoch----Santos-----Dero
Lindsay----JDG--------Barrett
Morgan?---Cann---Nana----Gargan?
-----------Frei----------------

Yikes ... we have a long way to go in order to make that competitive. Lots of places there we need to improve.

BeerBaron95
01-07-2011, 10:39 AM

Yikes ... we have a long way to go in order to make that competitive. Lots of places there we need to improve.

how can you even bother putting up this formation with only 16 players?? for all we know some of the guys you have up there now might not even start the year with TFC

Lets get a full squad and then go crazy to our hearts content playing with the formation and who will be where.

ag futbol
01-07-2011, 10:42 AM
It's all speculation, relax. If we weren't allowed to post anything suggestive on this board it would be rather boring no?

maninb
01-07-2011, 10:42 AM
^ Barrett is NOT a midfielder, and DeRo doesn't track back so your right side is awful...agreed we've got some major holes to fill...but having JK, PM, and Winter in place is gonna attract to a lot of players a lot of players to TFC IMO, something that we've NEVER had before...I'm optimistic for once...

[NBF]
01-07-2011, 10:45 AM
I've heard alot of things about the varying forms of 4-3-3, but I think it will depend on the pace of our players and the width of the fields being played on that will which variation will be used.

IMO, I like the fact that we could use all 3 of the midfielders in front of the defenders to close the open spaces. To me it would be 3 box-to-box midfielders that can move forward on the attack and move together defensively to stop the opposition attack.

IMO, this is our best option:
--------------GK---------------

RB------CB---------CB-------LB

----CM/DM--CB/DM--CM/DM-----

------------AM/SS------------

----RW/ST---------ST/LW-----

Pieces in place:

------------------Frei----------------

RB------Attakora------Cann--------LB

----DeGuzman--CB/DM--LaBrocca-----

--------------DeRosario---------------

-------Santos---------ST/LW---------

The (4-3-1-2) would be my choice, mainly because I dont think we can find a player that is a centre forward like Dichio, that could play the lone striker position, and dominate physically week after week.

The (4-3-2-1 or 4-3-3 with 2 wingers )would not be an option. No lone striker. A centre forward like Dichio to play the lone striker role would be hard to find. This role requires the player to be good technically and able to consistently hold off defenders and bring in other players. Not to mention he has to stay healthy. Way to easy to defend against.

The (4-2-1-3), personally I think this would put too much pressure on our questionable defense. This is the way Arsenal play, very attack minded but we don't have that kind of possession type of game. Arsenal IMO could benifit from a quality CF like Adebayor with Arshavin and Nasri on the secondary strikers near the sidelines.

BeerBaron95
01-07-2011, 10:45 AM
It's all speculation, relax. If we weren't allowed to post anything suggestive on this board it would be rather boring no?

im completely relaxed... (beer in hand)

True about posting.. its been a long night (work) so i guess im just lashing out in a tiny way. my bad!
:drinking::drinking:

BeerBaron95
01-07-2011, 10:46 AM
^ Barrett is NOT a midfielder, and DeRo doesn't track back so your right side is awful...agreed we've got some major holes to fill...but having JK, PM, and Winter in place is gonna attract to a lot of players a lot of players to TFC IMO, something that we've NEVER had before...I'm optimistic for once...

I kinda like the idea of barrett playing in the MF though. he's hard on tackles and fast as grease lightning.. why not see what he can do there if he were asked to try it.

agree 100% about MeRo though.

reggie
01-07-2011, 10:47 AM
listening to PM last night on the soccer show,he mentioned that they have a great network all ready in place and they already have the ball rolling in africa and SA for the type of players they need.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-07-2011, 10:51 AM
i dont mind the idea of barrett on the wing either, hes been effective there previously and has the potential to score. Its rare that i like to see a player played out of their natural position but hes one of em

ag futbol
01-07-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure how you'd really fit Dero in (same with Santos) unless you went with the 4-3-1-2 and put him as the Luis Figo type who plays just behind the two forwards.

That being said, I think there are probably a fair number of guys who could play that spot better.

ManUtd4ever
01-07-2011, 10:54 AM
listening to PM last night on the soccer show,he mentioned that they have a great network all ready in place and they already have the ball rolling in africa and SA for the type of players they need.

Paul Mariner's interview was very encouraging indeed. The news regarding incoming players should pick up steam in the next couple of weeks...

ag futbol
01-07-2011, 10:56 AM
I think it's encouraging that we've been linked with a fair number of people already. Shows that we've been active.

Unlike prior years where we are pulling our hair out waiting for Johnston to get off his ass.

TFCRegina
01-07-2011, 11:02 AM

Doubtful Ornoch will want to come over here. He was getting plenty of playing time (haven't been following his club lately) and he was doing fantastic.

Edit: Saw your post on the Vees forum. Cool beans.

Roogsy
01-07-2011, 11:09 AM

:lol:

So very true.

Roogsy
01-07-2011, 11:10 AM
i dont mind the idea of barrett on the wing either, hes been effective there previously and has the potential to score. Its rare that i like to see a player played out of their natural position but hes one of em

The only problem is he can't cross.

J .
01-07-2011, 11:13 AM

Neither has any of our other wingers :P

BeerBaron95
01-07-2011, 11:14 AM

says you chump!

trane
01-07-2011, 11:16 AM
The lack of "winger".

That is only a problem depending on what you expect the "winger" to do, from what I see, in most of the present 4-3-3 or at least the ones that I see the "winger" are not classic wingers, but AM/SS types, playing wider around the box, and not between the box and the touch line. That type of width and crossing is provided by the fullbacks. NOW as I wrote yesterday is were we continue to lack, in quality fullbacks that can defend, attack and CROSS. The russian was sperited but not always effective.

From what I see, and I mostly watch Serie A, followed by EPL, some Lique 1, Budesliga, and any euro game that I tend to come accross, there is fewer and fewer classic wingers, and the fullback are playing more like wingbacks, then fullbacks.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-07-2011, 11:17 AM

i tend to disagree with that, i mean i wouldnt say hes the best crosser, hes certainly one of the better ones on the team right now, i guess we can agree on that hes not consistent in crossing

ManUtd4ever
01-07-2011, 11:18 AM

I'm not sure if he's ready for a starting role but Nicholas Lindsay demonstrated an adept ability to put in an accurate cross in limited appearances towards the end of last season...

TFCRegina
01-07-2011, 11:19 AM

Nick Lindsay says stuff it :P

J .
01-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Nick Lindsay says stuff it :P

Two nice crosses doesnt make someone adept at crossing in very limited action.

menefreghista
01-07-2011, 11:33 AM
The lack of "winger".

That is only a problem depending on what you expect the "winger" to do, from what I see, in most of the present 4-3-3 or at least the ones that I see the "winger" are not classic wingers, but AM/SS types, playing wider around the box, and not between the box and the touch line. That type of width and crossing is provided by the fullbacks. NOW as I wrote yesterday is were we continue to lack, in quality fullbacks that can defend, attack and CROSS. The russian was sperited but not always effective.

From what I see, and I mostly watch Serie A, followed by EPL, some Lique 1, Budesliga, and any euro game that I tend to come accross, there is fewer and fewer classic wingers, and the fullback are playing more like wingbacks, then fullbacks.

When I think of the 4-3-3 formation, I get reminded of Lecce when they were managed by Zdenek Zeman. They were a fun team to watch, had a decent amount of upsets against the better teams in Serie A, but eventually the all out attack caught up with them and they did poorly. But their matches were always fun to watch. You need both of your outside backs to be like Marco Cassetti was for Lecce. I don't think we have the players for that at this moment. And Gargan definitely doesn't fit the mold. Marvell Wynne might have succeeded under a 4-3-3.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Wynne really couldnt cross tho, unfortunately, all dude had was speed

J .
01-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Wynne has been a good CB for the Rapids

menefreghista
01-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Wynne really couldnt cross tho, unfortunately, all dude had was speed

I agree. But I do recall him making the occasional good cross. And we do have to consider the limitations of this league. If Wynne was a better crosser he'd probably be in Europe.

But speed is a key attribute for right and left backs in a 4-3-3.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Wynne has been a good CB for the Rapids

hes been used well, still would prefer what we have right now to him

I agree. But I do recall him making the occasional good cross. And we do have to consider the limitations of this league. If Wynne was a better crosser he'd probably be in Europe.

But speed is a key attribute for right and left backs in a 4-3-3.

that and if he was better defensively, was far too prone to pushing if dude was faster than him

Juanito
01-07-2011, 11:50 AM
I love the 4-3-3, I like that Brazilian-Barça-style, sexy, attacking football. However, we don't have the footballers for that kind of system. The only guys that would work are:

De Rosario
Santos
Cann
Frei

De Rosario and Santos have the offensive know-how to sustain the attack and for my money Cann is the only capable fullback. For this system to work, you need your back four to be solid and we just don't have that right now.

Also, any 4-3-3 system will not work with De Guzmán. He is a holding midfielder and if he plays too deep in a 4-3-3, we will be exposed right down the middle.

ag futbol
01-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I think Lindsay (in limited time) has proven he can be an effective crosser of the ball. If memory serves, the stats on the TFC/MLS webpage are wrong and he actually tied the team lead for assists in the limited action he saw.

That being said, it's unclear if he's ready to start.

Juanito
01-07-2011, 11:54 AM
If we can get anyone, I would like us to go after Oguchi Onyewu. I like him as a full-back and I think he would complement Cann. We need to shore up the defense. He's not playing much in Europe, so he may be available on a loan or something.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-07-2011, 11:54 AM
yeah i really liked what i saw from him, hes still young and needs ot learn but is showing alot of promise, prob become one if not my fav player if he continues or gets better

trane
01-07-2011, 11:59 AM
When I think of the 4-3-3 formation, I get reminded of Lecce when they were managed by Zdenek Zeman. They were a fun team to watch, had a decent amount of upsets against the better teams in Serie A, but eventually the all out attack caught up with them and they did poorly. But their matches were always fun to watch. You need both of your outside backs to be like Marco Cassetti was for Lecce. I don't think we have the players for that at this moment. And Gargan definitely doesn't fit the mold. Marvell Wynne might have succeeded under a 4-3-3.

I do not think that a 4-3-3 has to be week defensively, BUT I think you need a quality defensive box, for a lack of a better word, two solid CBs, and two solid DMs. I think we are OK there for now. HOwever, De Guzman would not be one of them for me, for they need to be hard running ( not necesseraly supper fast but more mobile the De Guzman). Yesterday I was thinking him more of the a CM ( assuming we line up more like a 4-2-1-2-1), he can distribute well and help defensively, BUT idealy he should be able to come up and take the occasional shot at goal, that is one area that I have to agree that JDG is horrible at, seriously I have never seen a professional player with a worst shot, I have a better shot then him, I am not even kidding.

Juanito
01-07-2011, 12:01 PM
^^

Trane, you and I are kindred spirits. I 100% agree with you!!

trane
01-07-2011, 12:01 PM
If we can get anyone, I would like us to go after Oguchi Onyewu. I like him as a full-back and I think he would complement Cann. We need to shore up the defense. He's not playing much in Europe, so he may be available on a loan or something.

You (we) can have him, Milan is not ussing him at all, BUT he is no fullback, he is even slow for a CB, never mind a fullback. But he is not going to come to TFC on loan, unless he has completley given up on europe.

ag futbol
01-07-2011, 12:06 PM
I think we'd have to give up some serious coin to bring him back here. I'd also have concerns about pairing him with Cann (who seems likely to be back unlike Nana). We'd be slow, but they would be a pretty talented pair.

I thought the perfect fit would have been the Egyptian head-case who we looked to never seriously consider. He had mega ball skills and balances out the other more physical guy back there.

Juanito
01-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Send me to South America, I'll shake a tree with a stick and I'm sure I can find a complete squad who is more talented than ANYONE on this squad.

Why we're not scouting down there is beyond me. I volunteer myself, I can even speak a bit of Portuguese, so I'm good to go!

trane
01-07-2011, 12:09 PM
^ I think that that is also about to change.

J .
01-07-2011, 12:12 PM
hes been used well, still would prefer what we have right now to him

That I can agree with.

Oldtimer
01-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Doubtful Ornoch will want to come over here. He was getting plenty of playing time (haven't been following his club lately) and he was doing fantastic.

umm. look at the article I posted above. Dutch media has him linked to Toronto because he's home-sick.

ginkster88
01-07-2011, 12:31 PM
umm. look at the article I posted above. Dutch media has him linked to Toronto because he's home-sick.

He also hasn't been played regularly in three years.

Nuvinho
01-07-2011, 12:33 PM
His contract is up at the end of June 2011.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-07-2011, 12:50 PM
might release him early, as it suggests in the article

Detroit_TFC
01-07-2011, 01:04 PM
You (we) can have him, Milan is not ussing him at all, BUT he is no fullback, he is even slow for a CB, never mind a fullback. But he is not going to come to TFC on loan, unless he has completley given up on europe.

He is going to FC Twente on loan. He's likely to see some playing time there.

trane
01-07-2011, 01:07 PM
^ That makes sense. He is a good player, I liked what I saw of him, as obviously did Milan. Just slow, and not being used at all at Milan. I am not suprised that he it is a loan deal, Milan need to hold on to rights to CBs.

Pookie
01-07-2011, 01:43 PM
In the Dutch system, the roles are interchangeable on the pitch. For example, a midfield player may step up and play a striker when the situation warrants but the key is that they are replaced by someone who assumes their role as midfielder.

To that end, there is a high degree of fitness required.

I'm not sure that Barrett & Santos (from what I saw last year) are capable of playing consistently over the course of a demanding full 90. LaBrocca also seemed to be subbed for fitness related issues more often than not. Hopefully, this offseason brings about an improvement for them.

Dwayne, being 33 in May, is also a bit of a question mark for me. One thing to make a run, it's another to track back quickly and assume a defensive position when needed.

I think that some of the younger players might surprise quite a few in a system like this Peterson, Harden being 2 that come to mind.

Sullivan
01-07-2011, 01:49 PM
As a quick aside, Winter & de Klerk also come from a Pro Zone environment, so that information will also tell them something about who from the current roster would be adaptable to their plans.

Pro Zone info was also a prominent section of the package that Herr Klinsi's company put together not only to breakdown TFC as a squad, but to compile a very detailed report and profile of each individual player.

trane
01-07-2011, 01:58 PM
In the Dutch system, the roles are interchangeable on the pitch. For example, a midfield player may step up and play a striker when the situation warrants but the key is that they are replaced by someone who assumes their role as midfielder.

To that end, there is a high degree of fitness required.

I'm not sure that Barrett & Santos (from what I saw last year) are capable of playing consistently over the course of a demanding full 90. LaBrocca also seemed to be subbed for fitness related issues more often than not. Hopefully, this offseason brings about an improvement for them.

Dwayne, being 33 in May, is also a bit of a question mark for me. One thing to make a run, it's another to track back quickly and assume a defensive position when needed.

I think that some of the younger players might surprise quite a few in a system like this Peterson, Harden being 2 that come to mind.

Fitness is key. No doubt. De Ro comming back to play in the DMs slot is another.

Oldtimer
01-07-2011, 02:11 PM
I love 4-3-3, it's my favourite formation.

It's not that hard to teach players a 4-3-3. To move beyond that to "Total Football" will take more than 1 season however.

Agreed with Trane and Pookie about fitness being important for a 4-3-3.

Fitting in JDG will be a bit of a challenge, but he certainly has the footballing brain for it. Fortunately, he now has a coaching team that has more technical knowledge than the previous 5 coaches combined.

Aroundtheworld
01-07-2011, 02:31 PM
I do not think that a 4-3-3 has to be week defensively, BUT I think you need a quality defensive box, for a lack of a better word, two solid CBs, and two solid DMs. I think we are OK there for now. HOwever, De Guzman would not be one of them for me, for they need to be hard running ( not necesseraly supper fast but more mobile the De Guzman). Yesterday I was thinking him more of the a CM ( assuming we line up more like a 4-2-1-2-1), he can distribute well and help defensively, BUT idealy he should be able to come up and take the occasional shot at goal, that is one area that I have to agree that JDG is horrible at, seriously I have never seen a professional player with a worst shot, I have a better shot then him, I am not even kidding.

Jose Mourinho played with 4-3-3 at Chelsea. In 2004-2005 they allowed only 15 goals all season. http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/01/25/teams-of-the-decade-13-chelsea-2004-06/

4-3-3 can be very strong defensively if the wingers come back and defend (essentially make it a 4-5-1 on defense).

The big advantage I see for the 4-3-3 against MLS opposition is the extra man in the central midfield. Most MLS teams play 4-4-2 which only has two central midfielders compared to 3 in 4-3-3. This means that 4-3-3 can dominate the central midfield and hence dominate the game.

Elements needed:

Centre Forward who can hold up the ball. Should be large and physical (Drogba-mold) or very skilled (Van Persie-mold). Possible Players: Andrew Ornoch
Athletic Wingers who track back defensively and can quickly sprint forward on the counter. They should be good crossers and/or be a able to cut in and shoot. Possible Players: Chad Barrett.
Attacking Midfielder who makes late runs into the box. Must have a good shot outside the penalty area. (Lampard or Fabregas-mold). Possible Players: De Rosario
Destroying Midfielder who sits in front of the defense and wins the ball. Excellent tackler and decent passer. (Makelele-mold).
Linking Midfielder/Deep Lying Playmaker who connects the play. Excellent passer with excellent vision, (Deep Lying Playmakers: Xavi, Xabi Alonso) (Linking MidfielderS: Busquets, Denilson). Possible Players: Julian DeGuzman
Athletic Fullbacks who can join the attack and support the wingers (Dani Alves/Ashley Cole-mold). Good crossers of the ball and especially important with inverted wingers as the give the team width.

As you can see, there are already some key players that TFC already has that can fit into a 4-3-3. However, there are many holes missing, namely on the wings. The next few months should be interesting.

TFCRegina
01-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Jose Mourinho played with 4-3-3 at Chelsea. In 2004-2005 they allowed only 15 goals all season. http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/01/25/teams-of-the-decade-13-chelsea-2004-06/

4-3-3 can be very strong defensively if the wingers come back and defend (essentially make it a 4-5-1 on defense).

The big advantage I see for the 4-3-3 against MLS opposition is the extra man in the central midfield. Most MLS teams play 4-4-2 which only has two central midfielders compared to 3 in 4-3-3. This means that 4-3-3 can dominate the central midfield and hence dominate the game.

Elements needed:

Centre Forward who can hold up the ball. Should be large and physical (Drogba-mold) or very skilled (Van Persie-mold). Possible Players: Andrew Ornoch
Athletic Wingers who track back defensively and can quickly sprint forward on the counter. They should be good crossers and/or be a able to cut in and shoot. Possible Players: Chad Barrett.
Attacking Midfielder who makes late runs into the box. Must have a good shot outside the penalty area. (Lampard or Fabregas-mold). Possible Players: De Rosario
Destroying Midfielder who sits in front of the defense and wins the ball. Excellent tackler and decent passer. (Makelele-mold).
Linking Midfielder/Deep Lying Playmaker who connects the play. Excellent passer with excellent vision, (Deep Lying Playmakers: Xavi, Xabi Alonso) (Linking MidfielderS: Busquets, Denilson). Possible Players: Julian DeGuzman
Athletic Fullbacks who can join the attack and support the wingers (Dani Alves/Ashley Cole-mold). Good crossers of the ball and especially important with inverted wingers as the give the team width.

As you can see, there are already some key players that TFC already has that can fit into a 4-3-3. However, there are many holes missing, namely on the wings. The next few months should be interesting.

I can't believe you left out Santos and Lindsey. Both could play roles on the attack...

ManUtd4ever
01-07-2011, 02:50 PM

Elements needed:

Excellent analysis. I would submit that Maicon Santos could also serve as an effective CF in the 4-3-3 formation. Regarding the voids throughout the lineup, I'm confident that the combined resources of Klinsmann, Mariner, and Winter will enable the new management regime to recruit capable players in the next several weeks that will fit the system...

manic.street.preacher
01-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Not sure how labrocca will fit it, but I think Peterson will suprise many. There was a noticible improvement in his play when Daso took over from Preki last year. I think this style will suit his game. Only time till tell...
^this ... i thought i was the only one thinking this. maybe not part of the starting lineup, but a good bench player, and god knows that we've been missing depth these past seasons (well, since our inception really)

Oldtimer
01-07-2011, 03:08 PM

That's how DC United used to do it.

Milky
01-07-2011, 03:16 PM
The thing about the MLS is that it's a quick man's league. You can play possession football all you want but if you've got a young 20-something chasing after you the whole time then you're really going to have to be clever with your passes. 4-3-3 can work and I like the positive approach, but we are going to need a ton of athletic and skillful players to pull it off successfully. It will have to start at our Academy and then filter through the rest of the club. The good news is that I think we already have a lot of players who could flourish under this system: DeRo, Guzi, Cann, Attakora, Henry, Lindsay, Morgan, and Santos. That is a good base and surely Winter will add to it.

TheKing7
01-07-2011, 03:18 PM
This is what well see by the season's kickoff, fill in the blanks.

------------------???-----------------
Dero--------------------------Barrett/???
-----------------???------------------
-------JDG-------------Sturgis--------
???--------Cann--Attakora-------Gargan
---------------Frei---------------------

TFCRegina
01-07-2011, 03:23 PM
This is what well see by the season's kickoff, fill in the blanks.

------------------Santos/Ornoch?-----------------
Dero/Ornoch?--------------------------Barrett/Ornoch???
-----------------?/De Ro------------------
-------JDG/Gargan-------------Sturgis/Gargan--------
Morgan?/Sturgis--------Cann/Harden--Attakora/Harden-------Gage?/Gargan
---------------Frei/Conway---------------------

First name is first choice, second is backup or unsure of ability. Question mark indicates not with the first squad yet.

TheKing7
01-07-2011, 03:25 PM
I personally like Dero off on the left, the man lvoes to cut in and shoot (as we all know too well). I just took him out of the middle of the park because we need someone who can spray the ball around the park and deliver a cutting pass, *cough* AMADO. The only problem is Dero is aging and might not be able to keep up on the wing throughout a rigorous season.

TFC_PB
01-07-2011, 03:46 PM

Here's some photos of Cronin suiting up in Red yesterday:

http://bit.ly/dUUmjm

Not for TFC, though - the US Men's National Team.

Cronin's been holding down defensive mid for San Jose...and he sure is cheaper than JDG.

trane
01-07-2011, 03:56 PM

That is who Mou won the CL last year, and why you saw Eto'o come back so far.

Fullback is the only area that if the season started next week we would have a real problem, particulalrly now that we let Garcia go (JOKE).

Not that we have a perfect team, but we can start playing the system and learn and build.

fdasilva
01-07-2011, 05:53 PM
If we're gonna even attempt Total Football, then this 4-3-3 is gonna morph into a 2-3-2-3 formation when going forward (yeah you might think it's wishful thinking, but I believe it can be done with the right amount of decision-making).

----------------GK-------------------
---------CB------------CB-----------
--WB-----------DM-----------WB----
---------CM-----------CM-----------
----ST--------ST-----------ST------

The way I see it, JDG sits at DM, with a solely defensive duty (the odd ball upfield perhaps, but he should really only pass to his midfield partners) helping out the 2 CB's, with the WB's moving forward in attack (the wings are all theirs, they gotta be athletic). This allows the 3 strikers to move inside and explore channels that can be exploited by the midfielders. Sturgis can be that athletic midfielder that that can support the strikers, while the other CM (perhaps bring in a DP) who is creative and can pass. Up front, the central striker (another DP perhaps?) can be the aided by 2 slightly deeper forwards (guys like Maicon/Barrett), so that there isn't too much space between attack and midfield left open.

You can call it wishful thinking, but this is ideally the tactics (more or less) that we can hope are implemented. At least, I'm optimistic about this.

ochos
01-07-2011, 06:21 PM

Agreed. We definitely could have used him last year, but long-term I'm looking for someone a little more aggressive, skilled and the ability to get the through ball/quick pass to the wings.

TFCRegina
01-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Agreed. We definitely could have used him last year, but long-term I'm looking for someone a little more aggressive, skilled and the ability to get the through ball/quick pass to the wings.

Agreed.

NCAA ruins players. It's really sad.

Hopefully we can continue to raise the quality of Canucks through the use of our Academy.

ag futbol
01-07-2011, 06:28 PM
The thing about the MLS is that it's a quick man's league. You can play possession football all you want but if you've got a young 20-something chasing after you the whole time then you're really going to have to be clever with your passes. 4-3-3 can work and I like the positive approach, but we are going to need a ton of athletic and skillful players to pull it off successfully. It will have to start at our Academy and then filter through the rest of the club. The good news is that I think we already have a lot of players who could flourish under this system: DeRo, Guzi, Cann, Attakora, Henry, Lindsay, Morgan, and Santos. That is a good base and surely Winter will add to it.
I think that's true but there's always that 6-8 week stretch in the summer where the possession orientated teams dominate (and TFC usually dies) in the heat.

Fishnicker
01-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Wild Speculation

---------------------------Frei/Conway--------------------------

Schwartz/Henry-------Nana/Harden--Cann/Valeny-------Sturgis/?

--------Labrocca/Gargan------JDG/?--------Dero/Ornoch-----

----------Ent/CB----------------CB/Ornoch---------Santos/Dero

*bonus for getting the easter egg!

ArmenJBX
01-07-2011, 07:12 PM

MASTER LEAGUE :D

Aroundtheworld
01-07-2011, 08:26 PM
If we're gonna even attempt Total Football, then this 4-3-3 is gonna morph into a 2-3-2-3 formation when going forward (yeah you might think it's wishful thinking, but I believe it can be done with the right amount of decision-making).

----------------GK-------------------
---------CB------------CB-----------
--WB-----------DM-----------WB----
---------CM-----------CM-----------
----ST--------ST-----------ST------

The way I see it, JDG sits at DM, with a solely defensive duty (the odd ball upfield perhaps, but he should really only pass to his midfield partners) helping out the 2 CB's, with the WB's moving forward in attack (the wings are all theirs, they gotta be athletic). This allows the 3 strikers to move inside and explore channels that can be exploited by the midfielders. Sturgis can be that athletic midfielder that that can support the strikers, while the other CM (perhaps bring in a DP) who is creative and can pass. Up front, the central striker (another DP perhaps?) can be the aided by 2 slightly deeper forwards (guys like Maicon/Barrett), so that there isn't too much space between attack and midfield left open.

You can call it wishful thinking, but this is ideally the tactics (more or less) that we can hope are implemented. At least, I'm optimistic about this.

I don't see JDG as primarily a defensive midfielder as he is not a good tackler or ball-winner. However, he is an excellent passer and I believe he could perform that linking midfielder role perfectly (see Sergio Busquets). He's certainly good playing deep, but for the midfield to work they need a ball winner.

Nuvinho
01-07-2011, 08:42 PM
=====================Frei====================
--------------------(Conway/Kosic)--------------------

Schwartz======Nana==========Cann===========????
(Gargan)------ (?????)------ (Henry/Harden)------ (Morgan)

==============JDG========Sturgis===============
---------------(Sanyang)----- (LaBrocca)-----------------

====================DeRo=====================
---------------------(Stinson/????/???)-------------------

????========================================????
(Ent/????)-------------------------------- (Peterson/Lindsay)

====================Oronch=====================
-------------------(Santos/Barrett/????)--------------------

DeRo could be moved to the wing, others could be moved to play difference positions. But I still think we need at least 2 starters in upfront (strikers/wingers) to be competitive. Maybe an AM/Winger as a DP?

Glenchen29
01-08-2011, 11:20 AM

This could be argued forever due to opions, personnally I think Cronin was great! He was young and on an Edu path with slightly less potential. With time he will emerge as a solid consistent franchise player!

Glenchen29
01-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Agreed.

NCAA ruins players. It's really sad.

Hopefully we can continue to raise the quality of Canucks through the use of our Academy.

I love Winters concept of using the Academy to bring players up! TFC have a great Academy staff and it is evident from last year this process is in a great state! Lets say we start finishing near the top of the table and our draft choices are less, I believe our Academy players will compensate for the lack of choosing first in this process, should that happen????

jloome
01-08-2011, 12:02 PM
This means that 4-3-3 can dominate the central midfield and hence dominate the game.

Unless the other team widens the field all game and plays a counter/opposite field offense.

There are lots of potential ways to counter any offense. You stick three central mids in, you're vulnerable wide. Exceptional fullbacks mitigate it somewhat, but anytime you congest one area of the pitch for tactical reasons, you pay somewhere else.

To me, the value of total football isn't the fact that it's currently exercised in a flexible 433, it's the fact that it teaches players to handle multiple responsibilities and fill each other's gaps going forward.

Our movement has been absolute shit for four years, and this is just about the best way of going about fixing it.

jloome
01-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Wild Speculation

---------------------------Frei/Conway--------------------------

Schwartz/Henry-------Nana/Harden--Cann/Valeny-------Sturgis/?

--------Labrocca/Gargan------JDG/?--------Dero/Ornoch-----

----------Ent/CB----------------CB/Ornoch---------Santos/Dero

Doneil Henry can't play full back in a 4-3-3

In a 433 your fullbacks have to be able to cover both ways, be very fast,good both offensively and defensively.

Additionally, Andrew Ornoch is a 6'3 target forward, and wouldn't be deployed as a central mid. In fact, neither would DeRo, in all likelihood.

The team we have right now isn't sufficient to play a 433. We have no ideal fullbacks (two-way), only Sturgis and DeGuzman in the middle. UP top we have options with DeRo, Barrett, Santos, Lindsay and Ornoch, if he signs.

Still like to see a DP striker who's guaranteed about 10, though.

Right now we need:

Two wingbacks
One winger/all-purpose mid, left footed
One central midfielder, two way
Left-footed striker, preferably who can play as a wide forward

trane
01-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Jloome, what I like about the formation is its flexibility and therefore adaptability to tactical needs. I agree that the players have to learn to adapt as well to different and shifint roles.

If it is played as a 4-2-1-2-1, it can start as

------------CB----------CB--------------------
FB--------------------------------------FB-----
-----------DM------------DM------------------
-------------------CM---------------------------
-WF/SS-----------------------------WF/SS------
--------------------CF------------------------------

Which is a fairly balanced formation that covers the field. If you what to apply great offensive pressure, you can look as attacking as this with the same players;

---------------CB--------------------CB----------------------------
---------------DM-------------------DM----------------------------
FB-----------------------CM---------------------------FB------------
-------SS----------------CF-------------SS------------------------------

Or as defensive be very defensive and look like a 4-5-1

FB------------CB-----------------CB-------------------FB------
-------DM-------------CM----------------DM-------------------
WF-------------------------------------------------------WF-----
---------------------------CF----------------------------------------

Or a look like a 4-4-1-1 (similar to what Inter did at times, last year);

FB----------CB--------------CB---------------FB
-------------DM-------------DM---------------
WF------------------CM---------------------------WF
-----------------------CF------------------------------

The thing is if people ask me what type of football I like I say old school defensive counterattacking Italian football, but the truth is that these ideas as to play, have permeated Italian football, well since Sachi and Milan’s great Dutch trio helped us dominate in Europe, the 4-1-2-1-2 is a fusion of the 4-3-3 and the 4-4-2. The reason they have permiated Italian football is because when you analyses the system they are fundamentally sound methods of play in the modern game. Barca clearly has also adopted “total football” ideas, and the 4-5-1 in general derives from that type of play as well.
For me this is a very sound methodology and system to build a wining organization around. it is not what I would have chosed, but clearly it is a good direction to take.

jloome
01-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Jloome, what I like about the formation is its flexibility and therefore adaptability to tactical needs. I agree that the players have to learn to adapt as well to different and shifint roles.

If it is played as a 4-2-1-2-1, it can start as

------------CB----------CB--------------------
FB--------------------------------------FB-----
-----------DM------------DM------------------
-------------------CM---------------------------
-WF/SS-----------------------------WF/SS------
--------------------CF------------------------------

Which is a fairly balanced formation that covers the field. If you what to apply great offensive pressure, you can look as attacking as this with the same players;

---------------CB--------------------CB----------------------------
---------------DM-------------------DM----------------------------
FB-----------------------CM---------------------------FB------------
-------SS----------------CF-------------SS------------------------------

Or as defensive be very defensive and look like a 4-5-1

FB------------CB-----------------CB-------------------FB------
-------DM-------------CM----------------DM-------------------
WF-------------------------------------------------------WF-----
---------------------------CF----------------------------------------

Or a look like a 4-4-1-1 (similar to what Inter did at times, last year);

FB----------CB--------------CB---------------FB
-------------DM-------------DM---------------
WF------------------CM---------------------------WF
-----------------------CF------------------------------

The thing is if people ask me what type of football I like I say old school defensive counterattacking Italian football, but the truth is that these ideas as to play, have permeated Italian football, well since Sachi and Milan’s great Dutch trio helped us dominate in Europe, the 4-1-2-1-2 is a fusion of the 4-3-3 and the 4-4-2. The reason they have permiated Italian football is because when you analyses the system they are fundamentally sound methods of play in the modern game. Barca clearly has also adopted “total football” ideas, and the 4-5-1 in general derives from that type of play as well.
For me this is a very sound methodology and system to build a wining organization around. it is not what I would have chosed, but clearly it is a good direction to take.

It has a lot going for it. A lot depends on your wide forwards. If they're good two-way players then this is certainly very flexible. But again, I think the issue is always where the vulnerabilities lie, and they all have one.

For example, if you push wide in any system then leave three in the middle, you become vulnerable to a short passing inside counterattack, with the emphasis of your opponent on obstructing your centre forward from distributing. That means your "Total Football" club also needs a 'trequartista' style player.

Again, it's the most attractive and effective style, but by quite logical extension it also requires the most technically attractive and effective players to pull it off. Not likely to happen in their first year here.

Cristiano14
01-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Here's a pretty good assesment of TFC's current roster, might help us see how it'll fit into a 4-3-3
http://bttn.blogspot.com/2011/01/toronto-fc-roster-assessment-part-14.html

oxygenatedbrain
01-09-2011, 04:35 PM
If you do say so yourself...

Yohan
01-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Here's a pretty good assesment of TFC's current roster, might help us see how it'll fit into a 4-3-3
http://bttn.blogspot.com/2011/01/toronto-fc-roster-assessment-part-14.html
and Be Rycroft's assessment...

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?884-It-s-The-Tactics-Stupid-Total-Football-Club-%28Part-2%29

trane
01-10-2011, 10:19 AM
It has a lot going for it. A lot depends on your wide forwards. If they're good two-way players then this is certainly very flexible. But again, I think the issue is always where the vulnerabilities lie, and they all have one.

For example, if you push wide in any system then leave three in the middle, you become vulnerable to a short passing inside counterattack, with the emphasis of your opponent on obstructing your centre forward from distributing. That means your "Total Football" club also needs a 'trequartista' style player.

Again, it's the most attractive and effective style, but by quite logical extension it also requires the most technically attractive and effective players to pull it off. Not likely to happen in their first year here.

I cannot disagree. "trequartisti" who can and will track back efficiently are clearly needed. Plus a quality CF.

jloome
01-11-2011, 02:41 AM
It's too early really to predict what we'll look like, but I like the prospects for Nicholas Lindsay and Nathan Sturgis in this type of system. Boy do we ever need a couple of wingbacks, though.

19Barrett19
01-11-2011, 09:32 AM
:scarf:I would love to see TFC go after Daniel Opare for Standard Liege a versatile RWB who can also play the LWB postion. Great Wynne like speed but beter runs and crossing ability. For 1,500,000 transfer fee and a 180,000 salary he would be my choice over usanov or Ravis any day. Check out his youtube vid nice player for a 4-3-3 formation:scarf:and he is only 20 years old

19Barrett19
01-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Daniel Opare http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teBftD8i3QA

JonO
01-11-2011, 09:45 AM
For 1,500,000 transfer fee and a 180,000 salary he would be my choice over usanov or Ravis any day.
Ummm.. assuming an average contract length of about 3 years, that would make his cap hit approx. $680,000 - which means we'd need to make him a DP.

There's a reason few teams pay transfer fees in this league...

trane
01-11-2011, 09:47 AM
It's too early really to predict what we'll look like, but I like the prospects for Nicholas Lindsay and Nathan Sturgis in this type of system. Boy do we ever need a couple of wingbacks, though.

That is a given. That has been an ongoing area of concern.

ACSertL
01-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Mike Klukowski would be a great domestic option, and his contract with his Turkish team is over this summer, which would quash any transfer fee. Problem is, he's probably still a useful player for a European side and could command a fairly large salary.

trane
01-11-2011, 10:07 AM
^ Nice. That is the kind of player I though we would be brining back. Clearly the salary cap is problematic.

But I was excited thought you would tell us that Lahm was available and willing to come over.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-11-2011, 10:09 AM
hes got connections to the city, itd be a pretty good signing however i do suspect he'd command a chunk of change and itd be interesting to see how willing our FO would be to spend on him

ACSertL
01-11-2011, 10:09 AM
^ Nice. That is the kind of player I though we would be brining back. Clearly the salary cap is problematic.

But I was excited thought you would tell us that Lahm was available and willing to come over.

:lol: Philipp Lahm is signed until 2015, maybe then we can open negotiations ;)

trane
01-11-2011, 10:11 AM
^ he will be just the right age to consider MLS.

ACSertL
01-11-2011, 10:12 AM
To be honest, with the league structured the way it is we're definitely going to need to groom some TFC produced players to fit the system of play. Especially when it comes to a tricky position such as the full back.

trane
01-11-2011, 10:16 AM
^ Agreed. This is a long term build, and much of it based on the academy. I am prepared for it, as long as we are heading in the right direction.

19Barrett19
01-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Ummm.. assuming an average contract length of about 3 years, that would make his cap hit approx. $680,000 - which means we'd need to make him a DP.

There's a reason few teams pay transfer fees in this league...

Remember the guy is 20 years old runs 20km/h faster then Garcia did and has about the same salary per season that Our Beloved Nick did. So paying a transfer fee to bring in a player of that age would be a statement for the rest of the league who only seem to be bringing in players who should retire. TFC needs to make players and clubs realize that we are the best in north america when it comes to football and spending money ML$E has lots of it. START SPENDING $$$$$$$$$$$!!!

Yohan
01-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Remember the guy is 20 years old runs 20km/h faster then Garcia did and has about the same salary per season that Our Beloved Nick did. So paying a transfer fee to bring in a player of that age would be a statement for the rest of the league who only seem to be bringing in players who should retire. TFC needs to make players and clubs realize that we are the best in north america when it comes to football and spending money ML$E has lots of it. START SPENDING $$$$$$$$$$$!!!
transfer fees comes off salary cap and/or allocation for the year. there is a reason why most foreign players come to MLS on a free transfer

love it when people with little grasp of MLS rules just chimes in

19Barrett19
01-11-2011, 01:08 PM
I guess it makes a lot of sense... MLS for that reason alone is always going to be a weaker league.. Lets face it.

In Major League Soccer (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Major_League_Soccer), an allocation represents an amount of money teams can use to sign players and/or allocate to their salaries to get under the salary cap (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Salary_cap). Allocations are given to teams that have missed the playoffs the previous seasons, given to expansion teams, or awarded as compensation for players lost. This can be when a player is sold to a foreign club (Brian McBride (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Brian_McBride)), left on a free transfer (Clint Mathis (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Clint_Mathis)), or retired (Cobi Jones (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Cobi_Jones)). Allocations can be split and/or traded.
Whether the allocation is given, and its size is determined by MLS; the details are not disclosed to the general public. Citing this, some in the MLS community have accused the league of favoring major market teams, particularly the Los Angeles Galaxy (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Los_Angeles_Galaxy), in the use of allocations.

Look at the red YOU REDS!!! They gave the money to the Galaxy why not us!!!

JonO
01-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Remember the guy is 20 years old runs 20km/h faster then Garcia did and has about the same salary per season that Our Beloved Nick did. So paying a transfer fee to bring in a player of that age would be a statement for the rest of the league who only seem to be bringing in players who should retire.
You didn't read my post. The transfer fee counts against the cap, so even at $180k salary, he would count approx $680k against the cap. This would make him a DP. So you have to ask yourself if he is worth making a designated player - regardless of his salary.

19Barrett19
01-11-2011, 01:12 PM
You didn't read my post. The transfer fee counts against the cap, so even at $180k salary, he would count approx $680k against the cap. This would make him a DP. So you have to ask yourself if he is worth making a designated player - regardless of his salary.

At 680k maybe not.:flare:

Ossington Mental Youth
01-11-2011, 01:51 PM
interesting bit about the transfer bits, knew there were restrictions but didnt know thats how that ish was applied

trane
01-12-2011, 02:06 PM
http://www.uefa.com/trainingground/tactics/formations/video/videoid=1526919.html?autoplay=true

Short but good analyses of the 4-3-3 system.

Detroit_TFC
01-12-2011, 04:06 PM
http://www.uefa.com/trainingground/tactics/formations/video/videoid=1526919.html?autoplay=true

Thanks for posting that - didn't know about that part of the UEFA website, very cool!

trane
01-12-2011, 04:09 PM
^ I just found out today, someone, posted something about the Ajax academy, and I saw this.

jloome
01-12-2011, 05:56 PM
^ I just found out today, someone, posted something about the Ajax academy, and I saw this.

Reiterates what I was saying yesterday, that it's all about positional fluidity.

trane
01-12-2011, 06:41 PM
^ Agreed.

Juanito
01-12-2011, 10:20 PM
^ Agreed.

+1 :)

ag futbol
01-17-2011, 06:20 PM
I just read on SBI that Portland is looking at playing a 4-3-3 as well.

It'd be nice to see some clubs open up their play a bit rather than try to grind the other team into submisssion.

Damien
01-17-2011, 08:24 PM
I just read on SBI that Portland is looking at playing a 4-3-3 as well.

It'd be nice to see some clubs open up their play a bit rather than try to grind the other team into submisssion.

Dunno what John Spencer knows about the 4-3-3, but he did spend time with Houston during their championship years.

Oldtimer
01-17-2011, 11:00 PM

Good video. You can easily see how a player like JDG would fit into a system like Barca's.

Yohan
01-18-2011, 10:54 AM
on 2nd page of the vids, Roy Hodgson also talks about 4-3-3 which I thought had some interesting thoughts

Hodgson's thoughts on 4-4-2 I think is also excellent for those people who do not understand the basic concept of formations

ExiledRed
01-18-2011, 11:49 AM
on 2nd page of the vids, Roy Hodgson also talks about 4-3-3 which I thought had some interesting thoughts

Hodgson's thoughts on 4-4-2 I think is also excellent for those people who do not understand the basic concept of formations

hahaha, they didnt show the bit where he talks about 4-2-3-1 overlapping with 4-3-3, because his face went white, he sat down, put his head in his hands and started rubbing his face.

trane
01-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Good video. You can easily see how a player like JDG would fit into a system like Barca's.

He could realy shine. I hope he does.

trane
01-18-2011, 02:31 PM
hahaha, they didnt show the bit where he talks about 4-2-3-1 overlapping with 4-3-3, because his face went white, he sat down, put his head in his hands and started rubbing his face.

Hahhahah. I was kind of thinking along the same line. I was expecting him to say "see I like the 4-3-3 because you can hoof the ball up to 3 players not only 1 or 2."

Yohan
01-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Since I guess this is the default thread for formations and tactics, here's a pretty good article on new South Korea coach Cho Kwang Rae's tactics. He is also a proponent of fluid, attacking football.

http://www.footkorean.net/new-boss-cho-kwang-raes-football-efficiency-over-attacking

trane
01-19-2011, 09:50 AM
^ That is a formation I have always liked, 3 CB, ensure that the box is always covered, the two dms give cover to the CB and support the attack, take away attacking space in the midle. The only difference that I like the wingbacks to play behind the midline.