PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Cooper Back in MLS

maninb
01-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Sources in Munich say he wants to come back and the team is looking to cut costs...Portland have dibs on him....He's certainly not worth DP cash but around $300K....

ginkster88
01-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Well done Portland.

BFin
01-06-2011, 01:00 PM
God damn Portland.

David_Oliveira
01-06-2011, 01:01 PM
They can pass. It's just they have the 1st spot. How does the list look right now? which spot do we have?

Ossington Mental Youth
01-06-2011, 01:02 PM
he might pass too and demand a trade, great signing tho

ginkster88
01-06-2011, 01:03 PM
I don't pass if I'm Portland, he had a pretty dirty strike rate for MLS (40 goals over 3 years, 90 appearances).

Yohan
01-06-2011, 01:04 PM
he might pass too and demand a trade, great signing tho
Imagine if he went back to Dallas. Ferreira/Cooper combo would be just as great as Cummings/Casey combo

trane
01-06-2011, 01:05 PM
I would pay DP money for him, particullalry for TFC, he is the kid of CF that could anchor a 4-3-3, playing with to quicker SS/AM/FW types on each side of him.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Imagine if he went back to Dallas. Ferreira/Cooper combo would be just as great as Cummings/Casey combo

and noone at their games to enjoy it

Roogsy
01-06-2011, 01:06 PM
I would pay DP money for him, particullalry for TFC, he is the kid of CF that could anchor a 4-3-3, playing with to quicker SS/AM/FW types on each side of him.

Yup. And if Toronto would want to attract him, that is exactly what they'd have to pay, a DP salary.

Yohan
01-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Yup. And if Toronto would want to attract him, that is exactly what they'd have to pay, a DP salary.
well, it was the source of Cooper's dispute with Dallas/MLS FO

Ossington Mental Youth
01-06-2011, 01:07 PM
id gladly pay dp for that dude, oh how we can dream

ginkster88
01-06-2011, 01:09 PM
I'd trade them Dero for his rights.

:D

trane
01-06-2011, 01:30 PM

I would like to see it happen. If we are going to play three forwards, we need more, he is as good as it gets in this league.

Roogsy
01-06-2011, 01:35 PM
I met him...he's imposing. Big guy.

I'd love to see him play a role like Danny.

Yohan
01-06-2011, 01:37 PM

he's big, but not really an aerial guy. likes to play the ball with his feet, running towards through balls. kinda plays like Henry/Villa, slashing from the flanks

ginkster88
01-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Haha Portland does have his rights... but if we managed to keep Dero happy a front three of

Santos - Cooper - Dero

looks nice in my head.

trane
01-06-2011, 01:40 PM

That is exaclty what I was thinking.

MartinUtd
01-06-2011, 01:42 PM
DeRo for Cooper!

Make it happen.

trane
01-06-2011, 01:42 PM
he's big, but not really an aerial guy. likes to play the ball with his feet, running towards through balls. kinda plays like Henry/Villa, slashing from the flanks

But from what I have seen he playes "big" physicaly, and uses stengh to make space to make space, turn and shot. Creates space for other players. Has quick powerfull shot.

Now I have only seen him against TFC, I have a limited picture.

Roogsy
01-06-2011, 01:44 PM
But from what I have seen he playes "big" physicaly, and uses stengh to make space to make space, turn and shot. Creates space for other players. Has quick powerfull shot.

He's got an incredible scoring rate against us.

I'd rather have him play for us than against us.

ag futbol
01-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Not only that, but he is very mobile for a big guy. He can pull the CB's all over the place.

I'd pay him DP money, without question.

J .
01-06-2011, 01:52 PM
He is my least hated player in MLS and hence my favourite non tfc player to ever play in MLS.

Cooper has all the attributes to be one of the best strikers in MLS history. Physical, strong, out muscle, out work opponents, can shoot off the turn, head the ball in and a draw double coverage in every situation. This guy is the complete MLS package. If we kept DeRo behind him that would be great. But id trade DeRo for Cooper straight up all day.

He's the striker we always needed and never had.

J .
01-06-2011, 01:54 PM

I'd pay Cooper DP money. He's a guy to build your team around for the next five years.

Yohan
01-06-2011, 02:08 PM

yep. i meant to say he doesn't play like traditional CF a la Dichio. he moves around a lot and looks for space. can head the ball pretty well too

ginkster88
01-06-2011, 02:15 PM
He is my least hated player in MLS and hence my favourite non tfc player to ever play in MLS.

Cooper has all the attributes to be one of the best strikers in MLS history. Physical, strong, out muscle, out work opponents, can shoot off the turn, head the ball in and a draw double coverage in every situation. This guy is the complete MLS package. If we kept DeRo behind him that would be great. But id trade DeRo for Cooper straight up all day.

He's the striker we always needed and never had.

It's a trade that obviously won't happen though, Cooper has demonstrated that he can score at Dero's level or above, is six years younger and not (so far) in a major contract dispute with the club that owns his rights.

BeerBaron95
01-06-2011, 02:18 PM
It's a trade that obviously won't happen though, Cooper has demonstrated that he can score at Dero's level or above, is six years younger and not (so far) in a major contract dispute with the club that owns his rights.

Not straight up like that it wont.. so i agree with you there.

Now for some alloc $$ and/or draft pick combo, then sure.... would it not be feasible to lose that and get him into the fold here?

these are questions best left for more learned minds than mine :D

Pigfynn
01-06-2011, 02:22 PM
barrett for his rights.

Sounds like not enough, but if Cooper wants to work with Mariner again maybe the league could force it through.

Chad gets to go home and we get an awesome striker

ginkster88
01-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Man, I just went back for fun to look at Dero's stats to compare... for his MLS career he's averaging a .32 strike rate, BUT broken down to time spent with a particular organization, he's averaging:

SJ (5 seasons): 108 apps, 27 goals = .25
Houston (3 seasons): 78 apps, 24 goals = .31
TFC (2 seasons): 55 apps, 26 goals = .47

He's getting better with age! By the time he's 40 he should be up to a goal a game! We should lock him down long term.

Yohan
01-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Kenny Cooper goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfDpmUcdJwo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrJPYCIZTvo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9nsV3fnlmk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDsLLgfwmEs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn8Wx4ubvLU

trane
01-06-2011, 02:33 PM
This is one player, that I do not understand why he did not make it in europe, is such a prototypical euro CF. What is the deal?

This would be a dream signing, and we need both him and De Ro, for the new system, maybe we can give them Garcia???

Milky
01-06-2011, 02:35 PM
We have the Plymouth Argyle connection now so why not? Oh, and I don't think Garcia is a TFC player anymore.

trane
01-06-2011, 02:39 PM
^ That would make the deal even better.

Yohan
01-06-2011, 02:39 PM
We have the Plymouth Argyle connection now so why not?
his team in plymouth wasn't very positive. didn't do enough to warrant a transfer, though plymouth was a mess when cooper went for a loan

portland would be stupid to turn down a sure scorer in MLS. 18 goals in 08, 7 in 09 before mid summer move to 1860 Munich

trane
01-06-2011, 02:41 PM
^ DO you have to ruin a dream?

ginkster88
01-06-2011, 02:44 PM
portland would be stupid to turn down a sure scorer in MLS. 18 goals in 08, 7 in 09 before mid summer move to 1860 Munich

We have hope again, expect the whacko trade/signing suggestions to fly once more :D

Yohan
01-06-2011, 02:48 PM
^ DO you have to ruin a dream?
yes. i am 'that guy' :p

but no way Mariner would turn down Cooper playing in MLS

ag futbol
01-06-2011, 02:50 PM
That's right, our backseat GM work may have landed us some bad signings so far, but we can't screw this one up!

trane
01-06-2011, 02:53 PM
^ There will be no more backseat GM work. We have an man that knows footy.

jloome
01-06-2011, 02:54 PM
yep. i meant to say he doesn't play like traditional CF a la Dichio. he moves around a lot and looks for space. can head the ball pretty well too

No, you were closer the first time. He's not great in the air at all and he doesn't hold the ball up particularly well. He's a very good striker, but he's a cutter, takes angles and uses his strength to hold off centre halfs so he can get a shot away.

If he adapted a little more to dishing the ball off when overloaded with defenders he'd be the perfect guy for the top of a 4-3-3. But given what we have to work with, that's probably a pretty small concern.

Yohan
01-06-2011, 02:59 PM
No, you were closer the first time. He's not great in the air at all and he doesn't hold the ball up particularly well. He's a very good striker, but he's a cutter, takes angles and uses his strength to hold off centre halfs so he can get a shot away.

If he adapted a little more to dishing the ball off when overloaded with defenders he'd be the perfect guy for the top of a 4-3-3. But given what we have to work with, that's probably a pretty small concern.
i think he's 'ok' in the air, though more to do with his 6'3" frame than real aerial ability

Pigfynn
01-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Mariner said that he is already working on getting the guys to fill the new system and the strangest thing happened as I watched the words come out of his mouth...

I believed him!

Wow, what weird feeling.

trane
01-06-2011, 03:03 PM
i think he's 'ok' in the air, though more to do with his 6'3" frame than real aerial ability

He plays well positionaly, you couple that with his height, he should be able to get some goals from headers.

Distribution is key for the CF in the system as Jloome states, but I am sure that can develop, he has good skills.

Roogsy
01-06-2011, 03:04 PM
After I think about it and after reading these discussions, I have come to realize that I don't particularly remember many (or any) of Cooper's goal coming off his head. So you're right...not exactly a Dichio type even though they have similar stature.

Very interesting. You'd think he'd try to capitalize on that advantage.

ginkster88
01-06-2011, 03:06 PM
After I think about it and after reading these discussions, I have come to realize that I don't particularly remember many (or any) of Cooper's goal coming off his head. So you're right...not exactly a Dichio type even though they have similar stature.

Very interesting. You'd think he'd try to capitalize on that advantage.

He probably dominated throughout high school without service of any kind so never developed that part of his game. Probably was a part of why he hasn't stuck in Europe; like a big man who can't rebound in the NBA (cough Andrea cough).

Yohan
01-06-2011, 03:08 PM
He probably dominated throughout high school without service of any kind so never developed that part of his game. Probably was a part of why he hasn't stuck in Europe; like a big man who can't rebound in the NBA (cough Andrea cough).
Cooper is a Man U youth academy product. well, more of reserve squad

ginkster88
01-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Cooper is a Man U youth academy product. well, more of reserve squad

After high school... he was on his way to Southern Methodist before he caught on with Man U reserves.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-06-2011, 03:17 PM
id be amazed if they took barrett, dero yes, barrett no, i like the guy but we would have swindled them and im certain barrett is happy here, you cant even compare the two (tho barrett works hard, i know, i know)

ag futbol
01-06-2011, 03:21 PM
It'd be hard to swing that deal without us taking some of Barrett's salary.

Assuming they are unwilling to pay Cooper DP money I think it's much harder for them to make a case to the league office that they should be getting huge compensation for a player they really have no commitment to.

Although we did drag that McBride thing out in dramatic fashion. Man that would really come back to bite us in the ass.

ginkster88
01-06-2011, 03:23 PM
It'd be hard to swing that deal without us taking some of Barrett's salary.

Assuming they are unwilling to pay Cooper DP money I think it's much harder for them to make a case to the league office that they should be getting huge compensation for a player they really have no commitment to.

Although we did drag that McBride thing out in dramatic fashion. Man that would really come back to bite us in the ass.

It's likely going to come back to bite Dallas in the ass, since he grew up there and probably just wants to go home.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-06-2011, 03:24 PM
already did kinda with the no trade for will johnson thing

Oldtimer
01-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Man, I just went back for fun to look at Dero's stats to compare... for his MLS career he's averaging a .32 strike rate, BUT broken down to time spent with a particular organization, he's averaging:

SJ (5 seasons): 108 apps, 27 goals = .25
Houston (3 seasons): 78 apps, 24 goals = .31
TFC (2 seasons): 55 apps, 26 goals = .47

He's getting better with age! By the time he's 40 he should be up to a goal a game! We should lock him down long term.

hmmmm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2a/How_to_Lie_with_Statistics.jpg/350px-How_to_Lie_with_Statistics.jpg

ag futbol
01-06-2011, 03:37 PM
It's likely going to come back to bite Dallas in the ass, since he grew up there and probably just wants to go home.
I think he was fishing around Dallas for DP money before he left, but they declined. Slight possibility MLS meddled a bit in that as well, not wanting to set a precendent.

ag futbol
01-06-2011, 03:39 PM
already did kinda with the no trade for will johnson thing
Maybe the most retarded example (it's a pretty good contest actually) was Luis Gil saying he'd play for something like 3 teams to which MLS did some mental gymnastics to engineer a trade. In the end he goes to RSL which is already full with talent.

Maybe it's time to stop leaving people with the illusion we're all even and just let guys sign where they want.

wzhxvy
01-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Cooper would be an excellent addition for us. During the games I watched him play, he distinguished himself as a cut above the rest of the players on the field...acknowledging it was TFC and Dallas...

ginkster88
01-06-2011, 03:40 PM
hmmmm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2a/How_to_Lie_with_Statistics.jpg/350px-How_to_Lie_with_Statistics.jpg

Because I can't just post a smiley :D

P-NUTZ
01-06-2011, 04:04 PM
what if he gets wind we want him - and he prices himself out of reach for anyone but tfc?

possible?

ginkster88
01-06-2011, 04:08 PM
^ because he just so happens to want to come to toronto? No. He wants to go home, will expect a bump in pay due to have played in Europe. He'll probably get that in a deal to Dallas, or from Portland.

J .
01-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Barrett was on pace for 15-20 last year before he got hurt. Him and Cooper up top?

Best tandem in MLS on paper. Add DeRo and two wingers into the mix and thats awesome.

Too bad we will never have him in our lineup and likely wont have DeRo either.

Pachuco
01-06-2011, 04:18 PM
I agree with what seems to be the consensus. I would pay him DP money as well.

[NBF]
01-06-2011, 11:08 PM
L-O-L@ Portland Timbers giving up Kenny Cooper's signing rights. The only way Portland trades the right to sign him away is if he's hurt significantly, or he doesn't want to go to Portland, or they receive a trade that is equal or greater value for Cooper.

I can tell you right now, many teams in MLS have taken notes TFC's successes and failures and that includes the ridiculous trades they have made over the last four years.

We literally have nothing to offer Portland. Not even a "meaningless" 1st rounder in this year's draft.

Waggy
01-06-2011, 11:42 PM
;1196033']L-O-L@ Portland Timbers giving up Kenny Cooper's signing rights. The only way Portland trades the right to sign him away is if he's hurt significantly, or he doesn't want to go to Portland, or they receive a trade that is equal or greater value for Cooper.

I can tell you right now, many teams in MLS have taken notes TFC's successes and failures and that includes the ridiculous trades they have made over the last four years.

We literally have nothing to offer Portland. Not even a "meaningless" 1st rounder in this year's draft.

Unless MLS 'nicely' ask them to, like they asked TFC to do with Mcbride. Doubt they'd do it, but it'd be nice. I'd pay Cooper whatever he wanted. One of very few MLSers outside of TFC I hold in high regard. Would be a great addition for any team

maninb
01-07-2011, 09:34 AM
I'd trade Dero to Portland, plus a draft choice, in a second if it meant getting Cooper...

ginkster88
01-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Unless MLS 'nicely' ask them to, like they asked TFC to do with Mcbride. Doubt they'd do it, but it'd be nice. I'd pay Cooper whatever he wanted. One of very few MLSers outside of TFC I hold in high regard. Would be a great addition for any team

MLS will "nicely" ask them, but it will be to send him home to Dallas. What reason is there for him to be in Toronto over any other city in the league?

ag futbol
01-07-2011, 09:45 AM
I still see a very low probability he ever makes it back to Dallas, especially now that the just gave David Ferreira the DP spot (if i remember correctly). He rode out of town and burned every connection he ever made down their.

Quote from his agent (and father):
"What message are you sending to the fans of Dallas, and the kids who come through the system, if after three years you say we're not going to pay him what they are worth, we're going to sell him?"

http://yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=4978

They raised a HUGE stink when they left about a number of things. FCD and the league were not happy.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-07-2011, 10:08 AM
they got every right to be unhappy about that

ag futbol
01-07-2011, 10:29 AM
they got every right to be unhappy about that
I dunno, some of the stuff MLS forces it's players to go through is ridiculous compared to the world standard.

I think we'd be better served by being a little less underhanded and gaining the reputation as a stable place players can come to play for low wages but amicable terms. I know "a contract is a contract" and all that crap but MLS seems to really ensnare people once they have them on paper. Sure, that might work for you in one case, but when future signings go to put pen to paper they are going to know your negotiating history and force you to compensate for the way you've treated past employees. Either that, or your just going to get worse quality signings.

For example: in the article they draw reference to insisting on pocketing the portion transfer fee which the player normally receives.

This is really cutting of your nose to spite your face stuff.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-07-2011, 10:35 AM
HAHA i meant Cooper et all, looks like i meant MLS.
I agree and i think the MLS is starting to realize that, i also think that as the old school mls way starts to die out we will see more of that come about

Pachuco
01-07-2011, 10:39 AM
;1196033']L-O-L@ Portland Timbers giving up Kenny Cooper's signing rights. The only way Portland trades the right to sign him away is if he's hurt significantly, or he doesn't want to go to Portland, or they receive a trade that is equal or greater value for Cooper.

I think a trade involving Dero could open Portland's eyes.

I also think a trade involving Frei would defintaley open their eyes. Who is this Troy Perkins goalkeeper they have? Don't know much about the guy.

Anyways, we definately have some assets that could get him over here if there is a deal to be made.

ag futbol
01-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Sorry man, i didn't realize you meant the league.

I know there are some guys who get greedy / ambitious and want to take more than their fair share, but MLS has legitimately screwed more than a few people who wanted to be out there on the transfer market.

Some stuff is just crazy. I think they wanted 10 million pounds for Sasha Klesjian and got left holding the bag when Celtic only offered 7, then he started playing poorly and the offers were majorly downsized.

J .
01-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Perkins is a decent keeper by MLS standards. I believe he was with DCU and was in Europe for a bit.

I wouldnt trade Frei as I think we are going to make some coin off him when we sell him overseas. DeRo Id do for sure and I think it would be a swap Portland would do.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-07-2011, 10:59 AM
HAHA no worries, i figured as much when i went and reread my post.
Yeah man, i think they are finally realizing they get flies with honey than with vinegar, business will expand when they bring in new talent and send out new talent hence the academies growing and encouraging a sort of freedom (in comparison to previously)

Waggy
01-07-2011, 11:11 AM
MLS will "nicely" ask them, but it will be to send him home to Dallas. What reason is there for him to be in Toronto over any other city in the league?

To help save one of MLS's 2 or 3 major market teams? Lol. Didn't say it was likely, just that it'd be nice

trane
01-07-2011, 11:27 AM

If you offer Cooper the kind of money Toronto can pay, and Portland would not pay, then Cooper may be induced into not wanting to play for Portaland, forcing Protland to have to consider giving up his rights. That is what any big team would do, you have to machiavelian about it. If you want a player go out and force the issue.

maninb
01-07-2011, 04:00 PM
I think a trade involving Dero could open Portland's eyes.

I also think a trade involving Frei would defintaley open their eyes. Who is this Troy Perkins goalkeeper they have? Don't know much about the guy.

Anyways, we definately have some assets that could get him over here if there is a deal to be made.

NO WAY I'd give up Frei for Cooper.....he's one of the best keepers in the league and when he leaves for Europe we'll get AT LEAST Mo Edu money for him...

ensco
01-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Even with his injury history, it would take more than we got for the rights to McBride (Barrett and a number one pick) to get the rights to Cooper. Cooper is still young and was tremendous in MLS.

For any poster who thinks Frei is worth more than Cooper, pass the bong. The market in MLS for GKs that are internationals is very low, given the large pool of serviceable American keepers (where is Sam Reynolds anyway?) The market outside MLS is almost nil, Guzan is the only GK I can think of that was sold, and it was for a small fraction of what Edu brought.

DOMIN8R
01-07-2011, 10:03 PM
^ Looks who is back from Vegas..... we missed your Battleship hit and misses. LOL

Always good to have your input Euge!

Brooker
01-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Sources in Munich say he wants to come back and the team is looking to cut costs...Portland have dibs on him....He's certainly not worth DP cash but around $300K....

I would pay him that. I haven't read most of the thread but am I alone?

106-12
01-08-2011, 11:15 AM
kenny cooper was my in my opinion was the mvp the last season he played in the mls and i really like him not being scared to take ashot on goal any time he can , i would love to see him in red.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Ives is suggesting we are in with Dallas and NE for Kenny

Whoop
07-15-2011, 03:08 PM
How would he fit into the 4-3-3? LOL

ryan
07-15-2011, 03:10 PM
How would he fit into the 4-3-3? LOL

Gotta be as AM? Unless Santos is on his way out too?

ag futbol
07-15-2011, 03:13 PM
I know it doesn't fit our lineup exactly (especially now that we have Koevermans), but I will be majorly excited if we actually get this guy on our team.

Despite the lack of production with Portland I have some faith this guy still has it.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-15-2011, 03:13 PM
back up/competition

Whoop
07-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Cooper as a backup? Can't see that.

TFC07
07-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Oh man, a great player but not sure if he's right fit here. Can Cooper play as an AM or on the wing?

ag futbol
07-15-2011, 03:47 PM
You can pull him out wide as a FW type. If we get him I would think that's the intended usage.

prizby
07-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Ives is suggestion Danny can be our #10

TFC Cityboy
07-15-2011, 04:01 PM
our success with players who have been goal machines elsewhere in the league is less than stellar...Ruiz, cunningham...and if Cooper feels like he's admitting defeat in not making it in Europe his mentality may not be good. Excellent player, but I'd be surprised if this happened.

TOBOR !
07-15-2011, 04:04 PM
the thought is to put him ahead of DK. Think Christmas Tree.

I think Santos would have to go. We'd likely have to get something else out of it.

Madness.

yellowfellow
07-15-2011, 04:13 PM
How about 2 strikers? DK and Cooper up front and let them beat the shit out of all the CBs in the league.

pekduck
07-15-2011, 04:14 PM
How about 2 strikers? DK and Cooper up front and let them beat the shit out of all the CBs in the league.

Italian 4-4-2 now?

But, I like the sound of that. :rolleyes:

yellowfellow
07-15-2011, 04:18 PM
You like the sound of shit!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-15-2011, 04:58 PM
cooper and DK....up front...Ill book my flight to LA right now! :)

pekduck
07-15-2011, 05:48 PM
You like the sound of shit!

someone started drinking early, lol