PDA

View Full Version : De Guzman sidelined with knee injury

dantdot
01-06-2011, 12:14 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/de-guzman-sidelined-with-knee-injury/article1859411/

Toronto FC’s off-season woes continued Wednesday, when star midfielder Julian de Guzman revealed he has a knee injury that will sideline him for an unspecified period.
“I had been playing on a damaged meniscus for two months until the last game of the season, it finally shredded and needed surgery,” the 29-year-old said from his home in Spain.

Shakes McQueen
01-06-2011, 12:23 AM
If it was damanged, why did he wait until it became critical to rehabilitate it?

- Scott

Auzzy
01-06-2011, 12:26 AM
I guess if he misses enough of the season, we get cap & roster relief?

Waggy
01-06-2011, 12:44 AM
From his home in Spain? I saw him driving down bathurst 3 weeks ago. You cant miss the H2 with the JDG plates

Chevy
01-06-2011, 12:55 AM
Yey! DeRo is the highest paid player again!

shwade
01-06-2011, 02:05 AM
He doesn't wanna go to Turkey and play with a chicken scratch team.

Roogsy
01-06-2011, 02:20 AM
If it was damanged, why did he wait until it became critical to rehabilitate it?

- Scott

My guess is that this was something that was done with consultation with the team. If he is back in Spain rehabbing, it's obvious that the surgery itself isn't something recent, just our knowing about it.

In fact, I vaguely rememeber someone telling me late in the season that JDG was playing hurt but I really didn't pay much attention to it.

Shakes McQueen
01-06-2011, 03:16 AM
My guess is that this was something that was done with consultation with the team. If he is back in Spain rehabbing, it's obvious that the surgery itself isn't something recent, just our knowing about it.

In fact, I vaguely rememeber someone telling me late in the season that JDG was playing hurt but I really didn't pay much attention to it.

In fairness, I didn't read the article, haha.

- Scott

DOMIN8R
01-06-2011, 05:56 AM
From his home in Spain? I saw him driving down bathurst 3 weeks ago. You cant miss the H2 with the JDG plates

MY understanding is that his wife and kids live in Spain and that's where his primary residence remains.

Oldtimer
01-06-2011, 07:30 AM
It takes a while, he may miss some of the pre-season, but he should be good-to-go before the regular season starts.

Wull
01-06-2011, 08:15 AM
MY understanding is that his wife and kids live in Spain and that's where his primary residence remains.

With any luck he'll lose his passport and have to stay with them

Nuvinho
01-06-2011, 08:30 AM
didn't he have surgery back in November? That's why the team allowed him to stay home and not show up at the MLS Cup?

Mikey
01-06-2011, 08:52 AM
It takes a while, he may miss some of the pre-season, but he should be good-to-go before the regular season starts.

Regular season starts in about ten weeks or so?

Pigfynn
01-06-2011, 09:03 AM

:facepalm:

How can this possibly be a good situation for a player to perform at his highest possible level?

To me this shows DeGuzman's amount of "commitment" to the TFC cause. Having your family on the other side of the ocean is a massive distraction and only goes to show that he saw a massive pay cheque available and bit without completely committing to Toronto.

drewski
01-06-2011, 09:16 AM
:facepalm:

How can this possibly be a good situation for a player to perform at his highest possible level?

To me this shows DeGuzman's amount of "commitment" to the TFC cause. Having your family on the other side of the ocean is a massive distraction and only goes to show that he saw a massive pay cheque available and bit without completely committing to Toronto.

mountain out of mole hill. there are ton of athletes who leave their families behind. It would make sense if his wife is European, especially if she's Spanish. God knows i'd rather winter in Spain if I had the chance.

Don't know what the Spanish school year is like but he could very well bring the family over during the season/summer.

rocker
01-06-2011, 09:17 AM
didn't he have surgery back in November? That's why the team allowed him to stay home and not show up at the MLS Cup?

ya i thought i heard that too... so he should be fine for training camp then.

The article is just very late I think. Not "new" news.

Pigfynn
01-06-2011, 09:20 AM
mountain out of mole hill. there are ton of athletes who leave their families behind. It would make sense if his wife is European, especially if she's Spanish. God knows i'd rather winter in Spain if I had the chance.

Don't know what the Spanish school year is like but he could very well bring the family over during the season/summer.

Ya there are, and it is a distraction to the player. The Carlos Tevez situation comes to mind.

I have small kids and I really can't imagine not seeing them for months at a time then being expected to be 100% focused on work.

Just my 2 cents

Batman
01-06-2011, 09:25 AM

I agree its no big deal... lots of athletes do this, but you have to admit it's a bit weird considering he plays in his home town.

That to me, is the strange part. I kind of shows, he didn't come here for any sense of being back home, purely for the dollars.

rocker
01-06-2011, 09:37 AM
is he married tho? I thought the lady was the mother of his child but they weren't actually married or a couple... of course you always want to see yer kid.

of course now I'm getting way too personal!

TFCREDNWHITE
01-06-2011, 09:41 AM
I dont care what he does, as long as he performs his duties that his position requires.

drewski
01-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Ya there are, and it is a distraction to the player. The Carlos Tevez situation comes to mind.

tevez also says he gets homesick easy. Not everyone is the same.

I have small kids and I really can't imagine not seeing them for months at a time then being expected to be 100% focused on work.

I agree its no big deal... lots of athletes do this, but you have to admit it's a bit weird considering he plays in his home town.

and as I said, he may bring the family over during the season, so it's hard to say

That to me, is the strange part. I kind of shows, he didn't come here for any sense of being back home, purely for the dollars.

personally, as much as I love TO, I'd winter in Spain too if I had the chance.

ag futbol
01-06-2011, 09:42 AM
^ He likes it over there apparently... who wouldn't? It's always possible to have more than one place you consider a connection to. I know that's the case for me personally.

I think I heard whispers of nagging injuries as well. Hope we have a backup plan for the DM spot.

Roogsy
01-06-2011, 09:43 AM

This is true.

JDG spent a good part of his adult life in Europe, particularly Spain and I do believe his wife is Spanish. It would not surprise me if he lives in Spain once he is retired.

Roogsy
01-06-2011, 09:45 AM

This is a concern that I hear repeatedly about many players but I often wonder: Really how many players are with TFC because they want to be in Toronto?

Funny enough, DeRo is the only player I have ever come across at TFC that directly asked to be traded here. Everyone else came here because they had to.

JDG is a bit of a different story. Mo persuaded him to come. We all know Europe was his first choice.

I don't care if players want to be here as long as they do their job.

phonzo
01-06-2011, 09:52 AM
if DeRo were DP he wouldn't get hurt

mastermixer
01-06-2011, 10:21 AM
This article concerns me in a couple of ways...

1)He is obviously aware of the critisism he received from the fans and the press last year. Could this article have been planted by himself or his agent to make an excuse for his poor performance? If so its a pretty lame move.
2)Could it be an excuse just to coast for an extra couple of months instead of training with half a team next month? Its not like they can have the full TFC medical team to prove anythign all the way in Spain? For some odd reason I wouldnt throw this past him at this point.

Pachuco
01-06-2011, 10:40 AM
This article concerns me in a couple of ways...

1)He is obviously aware of the critisism he received from the fans and the press last year. Could this article have been planted by himself or his agent to make an excuse for his poor performance? If so its a pretty lame move.
2)Could it be an excuse just to coast for an extra couple of months instead of training with half a team next month? Its not like they can have the full TFC medical team to prove anythign all the way in Spain? For some odd reason I wouldnt throw this past him at this point.

I thought about this as well. Referring to #1. But since he's been shit for 2 years, not 2 months, it's irrelevant to me :)

Suds
01-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Winter in Spain or winter in Toronto ... yeah, that's a hard one to decide.

Oldtimer
01-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Funny enough, DeRo is the only player I have ever come across at TFC that directly asked to be traded here. Everyone else came here because they had to.

Not this guy...

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=114&pictureid=2486

he came here of his own free will. Nobody trades Dichio!!

Yohan
01-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Not this guy...

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=114&pictureid=2486

he came here of his own free will. Nobody trades Dichio!!or couldn't get an US work permit ;)

TFCRegina
01-06-2011, 11:50 AM
^ He likes it over there apparently... who wouldn't? It's always possible to have more than one place you consider a connection to. I know that's the case for me personally.

I think I heard whispers of nagging injuries as well. Hope we have a backup plan for the DM spot.

Nate Sturgis.

Technorgasm
01-06-2011, 12:00 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/de-guzman-sidelined-with-knee-injury/article1859411/

This is not fresh news.
I told you all about this the first wek in DEC.

He had orthoscopic Surgery on his knee, was in an ice-cast for 3 weeks.
He is already on teh mend and expects to be training soon.

I will say that his wife and kids live in Germany, but visit very often

Nuvinho
01-06-2011, 12:02 PM
^ That's what I remember - the knee surgery story came out Nov/Dec last year. Globe just reporting old news. I bet the reporter was on vacation in December, and is now gettign to the story ;)

Oldtimer
01-06-2011, 12:05 PM
or couldn't get an US work permit ;)

Yes, but he still had options in England. He wasn't "traded."

Pookie
01-06-2011, 12:16 PM

You mean where his "interest" remains ;)

This story is provoking the "something more going on" part of my brain.

While a surgery on a torn meniscus is never a sure thing and we don't know the nature of the surgery, common recovery time to get the patient back and performing activity is about 6 weeks.

From there to game shape is anyone's guess but to call it "an undisclosed" period of time is curious.

He's got 2 years left on his contract. His family and desire to play, assuming he still has one, remains in Europe.

I sniff "retirement" or "release"

Pookie
01-06-2011, 12:24 PM
^ That's what I remember - the knee surgery story came out Nov/Dec last year. Globe just reporting old news. I bet the reporter was on vacation in December, and is now gettign to the story ;)

Except that within the story the reporter chooses these words:

"off-season woes continued Wednesday, when star midfielder Julian de Guzman revealed he has a knee injury that will sideline him for an unspecified period."

"At this point, it is uncertain how long de Guzman will be out. TFC officials did not respond to requests for comment on Wednesday."

Recent Quote from JDG : “I’m not fit enough to play right now, I’m just doing rehab and spending my holidays with my family,” he said.

While he may have had surgery in December/late Nov, as of yesterday there was no timeframe for a return and JDG was not "fit enough to play"

That makes the story "curious" to me in not disclosing a timeframe or commenting on the situation from TFC FO.

Yohan
01-06-2011, 12:26 PM
MLS FO hoping to bury this story underneath the 'joy' of announcing new management today?

if JDG is looking to get out of TFC contract and go play in Europe, who'd take him? maybe someone in spanish 2nd division but will he be happy for playing those teams?

BS1327
01-06-2011, 12:27 PM
^^ I think he'd be happy to be back in Spain.

Oldtimer
01-06-2011, 12:30 PM
That makes the story "curious" to me in not disclosing a timeframe or commenting on the situation from TFC FO.

If he's not in Toronto, he can't be evaluated. How can they then comment? Only JDG can give an update.

MLS FO hoping to bury this story underneath the 'joy' of announcing new management today?

if JDG is looking to get out of TFC contract and go play in Europe, who'd take him? maybe someone in spanish 2nd division but will he be happy for playing those teams?:chillpill:

mastermixer
01-06-2011, 12:35 PM
What I would have liked to hear in this article:
"I am in rehab but focused on returning to play for TFC this year..."

but instead is focused on "enjoying his vacation".

Pookie
01-06-2011, 12:35 PM
If he's not in Toronto, he can't be evaluated. How can they then comment? Only JDG can give an update.

:chillpill:

He's not under team medical supervision? No reports are being given back to the team?

This is a $1.7M player/investment with insurance implications.

They know all the details of his injury, surgery and recovery time.

Oldtimer
01-06-2011, 12:48 PM
He's not under team medical supervision? No reports are being given back to the team?

This is a $1.7M player/investment with insurance implications.

They know all the details of his injury, surgery and recovery time.

If their physio staff is like the physio staff treating my knee, they all took the end of December off and are just now getting back to work.

Pookie
01-06-2011, 01:01 PM
^ sure but again though the surgery was supposedly 4 weeks ago. A Doctor has looked at it a few times by now. He would be on a rehab program under supervision by a club and/or insurance approved medical group.

A timeline is easy to establish and insurance would insist on it.

They are currently choosing to not disclose the timeframe. There may be nothing to it but if JDG and TFC are looking for "an out", this is one way to play it.