PDA

View Full Version : Question about John Rooney being in the draft?

Red CB Toronto
01-05-2011, 11:16 PM
I have noticed a few European's are going to be at the combine including John Rooney, I am curious if anyone knows why he is being included in the draft having already been a pro in England. I thought the draft was just for US college players.

dantdot
01-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Quote from Ives' blog:

MLS also revealed the identities of five non-college foreign players who will also be available in the MLS Draft and will take part in the MLS Combine. John Rooney, brother of English star Wayne Rooney, Victor Estupinan (Ecuador), Paolo Cardozo (Honduras), Marlon Ganchozo (Ecuador) and Martin Rivas (Argentina) will take part in the Combine under a new MLS initiative approved by league owners this off-season.

drewski
01-06-2011, 08:53 AM
I have noticed a few European's are going to be at the combine including John Rooney, I am curious if anyone knows why he is being included in the draft having already been a pro in England. I thought the draft was just for US college players.

it's the MLS, what are rules when you can get a name (regardless of skill) into the league?

Oldtimer
01-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Rules?

In MLS, the Commissioner has the final say.

In fact, technically, under single entity the Commissioner can just arbitrarily move a player from one club to another without any compensation (it was done once under the previous commissioner, Doug Logan). Now Garber wouldn't be around too long if he abused his power like that (that was a factor in the replacing of Doug Logan), but some things are up to him.