PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Wednesday,Jan.05

denime
01-05-2011, 06:15 AM
Mornin'

Adidas MLS Combine Rosters Released (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/adidas-mls-combine-rosters-released)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

pepher
01-05-2011, 08:16 AM
One Canadian? argh...

scooter
01-05-2011, 08:17 AM
mornin d

Ossington Mental Youth
01-05-2011, 08:23 AM
One Canadian? argh...

doesnt matter for several reasons, 1) its the draft, 2) canadian roster limits have been dropped 3) we are producing/signing our own canadian players and 4) we've only got late draft picks, so if this dude is any good we'd miss him anyways

Oldtimer
01-05-2011, 08:30 AM
doesnt matter for several reasons, 1) its the draft, 2) canadian roster limits have been dropped 3) we are producing/signing our own canadian players and 4) we've only got late draft picks, so if this dude is any good we'd miss him anyways

Not only that, this draft is considered the weakest since TFC came on the scene.

menefreghista
01-05-2011, 08:44 AM
canadian roster limits have been dropped

Speaking of this, has this been officially announced? I can't seem to remember. Just that they were still discussing it.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-05-2011, 08:50 AM
http://www.eightysixforever.com/2010/9/17/1694729/the-mls-canadian-quota-is-dead

one of many articles

Ossington Mental Youth
01-05-2011, 08:51 AM
i remember whats his face from the CSA having a snit about it

[NBF]
01-05-2011, 09:19 AM
I hope Aron Winter has some loyalty towards the Canadian players regardless of whether there is a quota or not.

menefreghista
01-05-2011, 09:19 AM
http://www.eightysixforever.com/2010/9/17/1694729/the-mls-canadian-quota-is-dead

one of many articles

That article is from September. As late as November we learned that the rule was up in the air. I haven't seen anything since and I usually at least glance at the headlines every day.

Dudebroguy
01-05-2011, 10:03 AM
TFC face Partizan Belgrade and Dinamo in Turkey.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/reds-face-partizan-dinamo

Oldtimer
01-05-2011, 10:12 AM
There will certainly be a lot of these:

:flare::flare::flare::flare::flare::flare::flare:

jabbronies
01-05-2011, 10:13 AM
;1194011']I hope Aron Winter has some loyalty towards the Canadian players regardless of whether there is a quota or not.

If they are good, I'm sure he won't care if they are canadian or not.

Roogsy
01-05-2011, 10:13 AM
That is a nice amount of training in preseason. I would have agreed with this healthy amount of training if I weren't so concerned with having half a squad in place as of right now.

Red Patch CA
01-05-2011, 10:18 AM
With respect to the domestic player rules, the last I heard was that Garber said there would be no changes for 2011 but perhaps in future. The speculated change would have been unfair in the extreme unless we were considered domestic in the US.

Roogsy
01-05-2011, 10:20 AM

I think you will see more of these...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42804000/jpg/_42804161_footy13.jpg

The Professor
01-05-2011, 10:29 AM

And who, in early February, will be playing for this empty shell we know as TFC????

mastermixer
01-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Anyone dare to make a trip to Turkey? Serbs and Croats are not your ordinary supporters lol.

Roogsy
01-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Let's send London and Al-Mo... :lol:

MrHawk
01-05-2011, 10:57 AM
I think you will see more of these...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42804000/jpg/_42804161_footy13.jpg

Agreed!

These friendlies are usually the chance for some Balkan clubs to send their younger players to get scouted across Europe. The field is usually nothing more than your local recreation football park with a swing set, and the matches are not televised.

Lots of really good young talent go here, from all ranks of the mid to lower tier leagues. 2nd division clubs and what not.

Usually, the clubs will announce to scouts "I have the next (insert nations football hero) right here."

MrHawk
01-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Oh also, please do not think that the entire support for the club goes out. Usually just a few fans on vacation, around 50 or so go, if that.

CretanBull
01-05-2011, 11:00 AM

If the Serbian & Croatian clubs send their full teams, we'll also see lots of these (on the faces of our players)

:o:(:shocked::frown5::ack2:

But I'd MUCH rather train against players that we can learn from rather than some community college kids from Tampa.

Parkdale
01-05-2011, 11:06 AM
But I'd MUCH rather train against players that we can learn from rather than some community college kids from Tampa.

but in the past, there was no guarantee that kids from Tampa wouldn't beat us.

:o:(:shocked::frown5::ack2:

Suds
01-05-2011, 11:15 AM
And who, in early February, will be playing for this empty shell we know as TFC????

DeRo?? :o

On a positive note, I think it's great TFC are taking the team to Europe to play against these types of clubs as part of their pre-season. It would be great if they had full team together though.

Yohan
01-05-2011, 11:15 AM
hello... SSG! rawr

Technorgasm
01-05-2011, 12:08 PM

awesome. . . .

Parkdale
01-05-2011, 12:13 PM
so let me get this clear..... Belgrade and Zagreb play each other in a preseaon tourney....

Are they expecting the Canadian team to wear light blue berets or something?

for some reason, I didn't think those teams got along. You know.

Carts
01-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Anyone dare to make a trip to Turkey? Serbs and Croats are not your ordinary supporters lol.

Maybe we should think about this...???

I mean, based on the size of our roster, if someone travels all the way from Toronto for the match might get some actual playing time on the pitch...

Carts... :D

CretanBull
01-05-2011, 12:24 PM
so let me get this clear..... Belgrade and Zagreb play each other in a preseaon tourney....

Are they expecting the Canadian team to wear light blue berets or something?

for some reason, I didn't think those teams got along. You know.

Nothing to worry about. The game is in Turkey, its not like they have a history of soccer related stabbing violence...oh, wait...

denime
01-05-2011, 12:27 PM
YIt's not a tournament,just friednlies.It is a winter season break for partizan and dinamo and they have spring preseason camp in Turkey.both clubs are there with their full rosters but they wont play against each other.

Parkdale
01-05-2011, 12:28 PM
It's not a tournament,just friednlies.It is a winter season break for partizan and dinamo and they have spring preseason camp in Turkey.both clubs are there with their full rosters.

so those teams play each other regularly, without incident?

I'm just asking because I've always been led to believe that the bad blood is very thick for those team.

mastermixer
01-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Seriously though, isnt this a little too soon and too intense of a competition for a team that doesnt even have half a squad, a GM or a coach yet?

denime
01-05-2011, 12:40 PM
so those teams play each other regularly, without incident?

I'm just asking because I've always been led to believe that the bad blood is very thick for those team.

They are not playing each other at all.teams are from different countries and only in UEFA leagues they might face each other.

Parkdale
01-05-2011, 01:01 PM
They are not playing each other at all.teams are from different countries and only in UEFA leagues they might face each other.

They are both playing TFC at the tourney in turkey. Are they not also playing each other?

Toronto FC will face top class European opposition during the first part of their 2011 training camp. The Reds have now confirmed two of the three matches they will play during their time in Antalya, Turkey.

The first match of pre-season will be on February 2 against Partizan Belgrade of Serbia who participated in the Group Stage of the UEFA Champions League in 2010. A second match will be played on February 6 with the opponent still to be confirmed.

Toronto’s trip to Turkey will conclude with a match against Croatia’s Dinamo Zagreb on February 10.

Following the team’s stay in Turkey, they will return to Toronto before heading to Orlando, Florida and then Charleston, South Carolina where they will wrap up preseason by participating in the Carolina Challenge Cup along with hosts Charleston Battery, and fellow MLS teams Chicago Fire and D.C. United.

boban
01-05-2011, 01:35 PM
They are both playing TFC at the tourney in turkey. Are they not also playing each other?
There is no mention of a tourney.
They are just a bunch of single games.

boban
01-05-2011, 01:38 PM
You think you know everything professor?
There is still a month to go until these games.
You make it sound like TFC will do nothing from today until then.
A draft is yet to come and 4 weeks to sign new players.
Thats in addition to the 17 already on the roster.
There is enough time to get about 25 guys out there and see what they can do.

Parkdale
01-05-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm laughing a bit at that one...

He didn't say there wont be players. He would be correct in saying that management had better hurry up and make some signings!

boban
01-05-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm laughing a bit at that one...

He didn't say there wont be players. He would be correct in saying that management had better hurry up and make some signings!
I never said he said there wouldn't be players.

Parkdale
01-05-2011, 01:48 PM
You make it sound like TFC will do nothing from today until then.

well whatever it is you are saying, you sure make it sound negative (despite actually being positive about the team improving).

how's that for confusing? I know I am.

boban
01-05-2011, 01:52 PM
well whatever it is you are saying, you sure make it sound negative (despite actually being positive about the team improving).

how's that for confusing? I know I am.
It's the prof's statement that is negative, not mine.
Things are going to pick up in player personal (numbers & quality).
TFC are not going to do nothing.

Nuvinho
01-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Presser tomorrow at 1pm

Suds
01-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Presser tomorrow at 1pm

can everyone please do as I did and message TFC, their twitter, communications people, TommyA, PB, GolTV, the janitor, and any known associates of TFC .. TO MIC THE F-KN' REPORTERS SO WE CAN HEAR THEIR QUESTIONS?!?!!

thank you :)

boban
01-05-2011, 02:16 PM
^^ Yeah fuck them and their presser at ACC.
Isn't where they play their games at the CNE not good enough?
I want major soccer anouncements made at the NSS where we start building some tradition and history. Not at a basketball arena.
> rant done.

TFCRegina
01-05-2011, 02:30 PM
can everyone please do as I did and message TFC, their twitter, communications people, TommyA, PB, GolTV, the janitor, and any known associates of TFC .. TO MIC THE F-KN' REPORTERS SO WE CAN HEAR THEIR QUESTIONS?!?!!

thank you :)

Yes, no fucking kidding. One thing TFC does terribly is have proper sound for the room. TFC TV is too quiet, even with my volume maxed out on my laptop.