PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Tuesday,Jan.04

denime
01-04-2011, 06:17 AM
Mornin'

Aron Winter set to become Toronto FC GM: report (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/01/03/sp-toronto-fc.html)

Toronto FC going Dutch? (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/the-worlds-game/toronto-fc-going-dutch/article1856020/)

New coach to bring new style to Toronto FC (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/new-coach-to-bring-new-style-to-toronto-fc/article1856088/)

Winter set to join TFC as technical director (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/01/03/toronto-winter-0/)

Aron Winter to helm Toronto FC (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2011/01/03/16739916.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Cashcleaner
01-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Best news I've heard in a long time!

Thanks, Denime.

Nuvinho
01-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Total Toronto Football

Mark in Ottawa
01-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Mornin and Thanks D.
I tried doing the news posting over the Christmas break and it wasn't as easy as you make it look :wink5:

mastermixer
01-04-2011, 08:47 AM
So is there any word on how/if Mariner will fit into this set-up yet?

Cashcleaner
01-04-2011, 08:53 AM
So is there any word on how/if Mariner will fit into this set-up yet?

As far as I can tell Mariner will be head coach, but I really think that his experience in MLS will prove more than a little handy and we'll see him and Winter forming a bit of a partnership and sharing a lot of responsibilities.

Oldtimer
01-04-2011, 09:05 AM
It would be a considerable change from the anti-football, defensive-leaning approach brought in last season by Preki, who was subsequently fired, along with Day One general manager Mo Johnston.

:party:

Ossington Mental Youth
01-04-2011, 09:07 AM
pretty sure Mariners going to be GM with Winter as Technical Director and Coach

TorontoGooner
01-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Here's hoping.

Darlofletch
01-04-2011, 09:12 AM
this seems very promising for the future, but will we do well enough in the short term to allow that future to happen, and who exactly is going to be in what position? (http://www.cruelgeography.com/2011/01/insert-generic-winter-pun-here.html)

Darlofletch
01-04-2011, 09:13 AM
pretty sure Mariners going to be GM with Winter as Technical Director and Coach

so would winter get to fire mariner if things go wrong, or would mariner get to fire winter? hope the official announcement isn't too far away to clear all this up.

trane
01-04-2011, 09:18 AM
This is good news. This is the type of hire I had hoped for, and the type of hire that i thought was needed. A completely new and fresh direction.

scooter
01-04-2011, 09:21 AM
mornin d

can't wait for all this to be confirmed --- maybe today anyone know anything

Ossington Mental Youth
01-04-2011, 09:23 AM
so would winter get to fire mariner if things go wrong, or would mariner get to fire winter? hope the official announcement isn't too far away to clear all this up.

id assume they are both under the power of MLSE and held accountable in different manners, neither one having more power than the other, more a team work thing

Technorgasm
01-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Can we hold off passing complete judgement until we see 5 games?

is that too much to ask. . (As I type this, I realize that it is. . )

I hope the folks that gave up their seasons realize what a horrible mistake it was. . once they see / remember what fun it is to be at BMO. . .

Cashcleaner
01-04-2011, 10:11 AM
^ You gotta admit though, this IS good news, right?

trane
01-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Can we hold off passing complete judgement until we see 5 games?

is that too much to ask. . (As I type this, I realize that it is. . )

I hope the folks that gave up their seasons realize what a horrible mistake it was. . once they see / remember what fun it is to be at BMO. . .

No had some of us not given up our seasons, we would never have had this, as in the mind of MLSE everythng would have bee A-OK.

Parkdale
01-04-2011, 10:29 AM
No had some of us not given up our seasons, we would never have had this, as in the mind of MLSE everythng would have bee A-OK.

but that's hard to prove.

they knew they were putting out a shit product. anyone could see that.

when people didn't renew, the team heard it, but it couldn't have been the only thing they were hearing.

Globetrotter
01-04-2011, 10:37 AM
We've had red, gray, white, and pink. Can we now have an alternate orange jersey? Maybe for a home game in early May for liberation day?

Also, as much as total football sounds amazing... this is MLS. We use the body, lots of banging, etc... not smooth poetic play. Our players come from NCAA and the rest of the Americas... none of which play total football. If you understand what that style is all about, it requires an incredibly brilliant mind, and world class physical abilities to do so. You won't find it at MLS level. We'd have to steal players from lower dutch leagues, or create them all ourselves. If we create that type of talent, wouldn't they just go to Europe?

It's a great idea, but in practice, shouldn't we just do it the MLS way? MLS/North America has it's own defined style (like team USA)... as unappealing as that is, it's likely the best long term approach.

bgnewf
01-04-2011, 10:46 AM
mornin d

can't wait for all this to be confirmed --- maybe today anyone know anything
I am hearing Thursday

ManUtd4ever
01-04-2011, 10:51 AM

While I feel somewhat vindicated now for renewing my seasons tickets, I think you make a fair comment. The lack of STH renewals early in the process undoubtedly put added pressure on MLSE to make drastic changes in the off season...

Oldtimer
01-04-2011, 10:52 AM
It's a great idea, but in practice, shouldn't we just do it the MLS way? MLS/North America has it's own defined style (like team USA)... as unappealing as that is, it's likely the best long term approach.

I coached an indoor team in 2008 for which we used a "total football" style. It can be taught quicker than you think, you just have to have bright players who have the flexibility to play more than one position and good positional awareness. You also need an on-field leader who knows the style well and is comfortable with it. I haven't had an indoor or outdoor team before or since that had the ability to do it... but it is possible. More commonly, I've found that most Canadian players can adjust to a 4-3-3, even if they can't do a "total football" type of play. If this is true at the amateur level, then the pros ought to be able to do it.

trane
01-04-2011, 10:52 AM

when people didn't renew, the team heard it, but it couldn't have been the only thing they were hearing.

True. They heard other things, but look at the timming of events, when did they call the town hall meetings? When did their media campaing to tell us that they are changing realy hit full gear, once they saw that renewals were a problem. Not the only thing I agree but a big thing for MLSE.

jabbronies
01-04-2011, 11:26 AM

There is defiantly an argument for this statement. Those who gave up their seats did help send a strong message to the club. It showed that we wern't bluffing.

Beach_Red
01-04-2011, 11:28 AM

But right up until renewal time, what were they doing about the fact they were putting out a shit product? When do you think they really started to hear and decided that something had to be done?

Anyway, it doesn't matter now. People demanded that they address the root problem - lack of front office structure (not simply the individuals in place) - and they have.

trane
01-04-2011, 12:05 PM
^ Agreed. Now I just got to figure out how to get my hands on some Prawn Brigade seats. Parkdale any idea?

Mark in Ottawa
01-04-2011, 01:55 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/01/04/cnk-lang-retires-0/

A sad day coming up for the Canadian National Womens Team if this is true :(

Roogsy
01-04-2011, 02:01 PM
But right up until renewal time, what were they doing about the fact they were putting out a shit product? When do you think they really started to hear and decided that something had to be done?

Anyway, it doesn't matter now. People demanded that they address the root problem - lack of front office structure (not simply the individuals in place) - and they have.

I agree. Moves have been made, that is what is important.

However, I don't believe we should minimize the impact that the fan/supporter outrage had on these efforts. I too believe that had not fans stood up and either protested, cancelled tickets or voiced their outrage at the townhalls, that we would not be seeing such hopeful messages coming from the FO.

Parkdale
01-04-2011, 02:12 PM
^ Agreed. Now I just got to figure out how to get my hands on some Prawn Brigade seats. Parkdale any idea?

there will be plenty of prawns available for the walk-up crowd this year. (I'm thinking)

J .
01-04-2011, 02:24 PM
It would be nice if TFC partnered with Ajax.

Huyton
01-04-2011, 03:15 PM
I coached an indoor team in 2008 for which we used a "total football" style. It can be taught quicker than you think, you just have to have bright players who have the flexibility to play more than one position and good positional awareness. You also need an on-field leader who knows the style well and is comfortable with it. I haven't had an indoor or outdoor team before or since that had the ability to do it... but it is possible. More commonly, I've found that most Canadian players can adjust to a 4-3-3, even if they can't do a "total football" type of play. If this is true at the amateur level, then the pros ought to be able to do it.

Good job Garcia has gone. He had trouble with anything other than a "Hoof the damn thing out of the park and try not to hit your goalie in the back" style of play.

trane
01-04-2011, 03:29 PM
there will be plenty of prawns available for the walk-up crowd this year. (I'm thinking)

good times. good times. I confess I love it up there away from the unwashed massess ( well excluding myslef offcourse).