PDA

View Full Version : Pablo Vitti signs with Universitario

Nestease
12-30-2010, 02:39 AM
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/104/vitti0.jpg

http://www.larepublica.pe/29-12-2010/pablo-vitti-me-gusta-esta-camiseta

Pablo Vitti is really impressing in Peru. He helped his (now former) team San Martin capture the league championship with the winning goal no less just two and a half weeks ago.

You can see his beautiful free kick here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2titfufaAQ#t=6s

His play this year caught the attention of the richest club in Peru. He's just signed within the last couple days for Club Universitario de Deportes which is the most successful and wealthiest club in the Peruvian League.

Pablo Vitti had a record year with 12 goals in 32 appearances. His stint in Toronto recorded 26 appearances and 2 goals.

Many websites have reported his salary at $30,000 a week/$600,000 a year/$1.8 million over 3 years.

CretanBull
12-30-2010, 03:10 AM
He was shit here, but I'm glad he's found success for himself somewhere.

DangerRed
12-30-2010, 03:24 AM
Oh Vitti. Never will forget when he thought he scored his first goal and ripped off his shirt, only to have the linesman rule him offside and have the ref show him a yellow.

CretanBull
12-30-2010, 05:13 AM
I'll never forget that time (ie every time) when he made that nice first move and then dribbled the ball into traffic, coughed up the ball and then stood there dumbfounded instead of tracking back.

Oblio2
12-30-2010, 08:03 AM

Spot on

prizby
12-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Pablo Vitti had as many goals as Conor Casey in his first year in the MLS...only difference is Casey was given time to adjust to the league and prove himself...Vitti wasn't

Parkdale
12-30-2010, 09:32 AM
wait.... am I the only one who thought the title said ' ... signs with UniversalStudios' ??

I need coffee

ensco
12-30-2010, 09:37 AM
wait.... am I the only one who thought the title said ' ... signs with UniversalStudios' ??

I need coffee

University of Ontario

Parkdale
12-30-2010, 09:42 AM
University of Ontario

ahh... Western. Go Mustangs! or... engineers.... I dunno.

Section 117
12-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Good on him, MLS isn't the league for him, to physical and not not enough time on the ball.

Good luck Vitti

CretanBull
12-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Pablo Vitti had as many goals as Conor Casey in his first year in the MLS...only difference is Casey was given time to adjust to the league and prove himself...Vitti wasn't

I don't think any amount of time would have turned Vitti into Casey in the MLS. Casey is a bull-dog, built for the MLS. Vitti got knocked off the ball by a defender's shadow.

I'm not saying that he's shit, but he was never, ever going to make it in this league.

__wowza
12-30-2010, 09:46 AM
i'm not goign to lie, i fucking loved vitti.
he and santos would've had the most creative attacks in the league.

Yohan
12-30-2010, 09:51 AM
I don't think any amount of time would have turned Vitti into Casey in the MLS. Casey is a bull-dog, built for the MLS. Vitti got knocked off the ball by a defender's shadow.

I'm not saying that he's shit, but he was never, ever going to make it in this league.
You could say Shitlicker also got knocked off the ball by a defender's shadow. lol.

Clearly Shitlicker has superior footy IQ, but generally, Argies that do make it in MLS takes about a season to adjust to the physical nature of the league.

I don't know if Vitti had the footy IQ to adjust to MLS, but who knows?
However, 300k on a gamble was too much of a risk at that time.

CretanBull
12-30-2010, 10:15 AM
It wasn't just that Vitti got knocked off the ball too easily, its that he consistently made bad decisions with the ball. Without knowing anything at all about the Peruvian league, based on the fact that Vittie has been successfull there I'm going to guess that its a league where players have more time and space with the ball (closer to Serie A than the Prem for example).

Here, he was able to make a nice first move because that's when he typically had the most time/space to opperate, but as soon as defenders pressured him and took away his space he was lost...he'd trying to break them down 1 v 1 and end up losing the ball while dribbling and/or making a bad pass under pressure.

Our league didn't suit his style of play and in the 30 or so games that he played here he didn't show that he was willing/able to change his style of play. It's not that he wasn't given a chance to adapt, its that he couldn't/didn't seem to want to adapt with the chances that he was given.

I have no hard feelings towards him, I honestly think that its great that he's found success for himself...I just don't see him as "the one that got away" because I don't think that he was ever going to do it here.

Chevy
12-30-2010, 10:16 AM
i'm not goign to lie, i fucking loved vitti.
he and santos would've had the most creative attacks in the league.

I guess I can come out of the closet as well. I would have liked him to stay here at least another season, just to see if he progressed (maybe at a little lower salary though).

__wowza
12-30-2010, 10:22 AM
i've been saying this for awhile..
what roogsy is to dero, i am to vitti.

i thought the man was creative on the ball and had a good first touch, but he really did need more time in the league.

Chevy
12-30-2010, 10:27 AM

i thought the man was creative on the ball and had a good first touch, but he really did need more time in the league.

You have 'I Love Pablo' tattood across your chest?

Yohan
12-30-2010, 10:28 AM
It wasn't just that Vitti got knocked off the ball too easily, its that he consistently made bad decisions with the ball. Without knowing anything at all about the Peruvian league, based on the fact that Vittie has been successfull there I'm going to guess that its a league where players have more time and space with the ball (closer to Serie A than the Prem for example).

Here, he was able to make a nice first move because that's when he typically had the most time/space to opperate, but as soon as defenders pressured him and took away his space he was lost...he'd trying to break them down 1 v 1 and end up losing the ball while dribbling and/or making a bad pass under pressure.

Our league didn't suit his style of play and in the 30 or so games that he played here he didn't show that he was willing/able to change his style of play. It's not that he wasn't given a chance to adapt, its that he couldn't/didn't seem to want to adapt with the chances that he was given.

I have no hard feelings towards him, I honestly think that its great that he's found success for himself...I just don't see him as "the one that got away" because I don't think that he was ever going to do it here.
i think Vitti would have succeeded in MLS, if he didn't played for a dysfunctional team that clearly had no idea what to do with him. both cummins and JC had no idea what to do with Vitti, as he kept shuffled around positions hoping that he sticks somewhere, and rarely in his natural AMC/2nd striker role

i think Vitti would be a hard fit in MLS, but I do think he would have done well in his natural role being able to play with some players who can hold the ball and create space for Vitti to his thing. he kept running into people because well, he got the ball a lot when the opposition was set when i think he's better on counters and during transitions when the opposition defence isn't set, and there are gaps for him to exploit.

in MLS today, I think Vitti would do well with NYRB or Seattle, both teams having good systems but could use Vitti's flair in offence

CretanBull
12-30-2010, 10:33 AM
^ that's possible, as a 2nd/withdrawn striker. I don't think he would have made it as a AM who had to carry the ball, but maybe he could have done something playing off a traditional center-forward who held up the ball for him, where he could focus on his first touch and firing on goal.

Yohan
12-30-2010, 10:44 AM
^ that's possible, as a 2nd/withdrawn striker. I don't think he would have made it as a AM who had to carry the ball, but maybe he could have done something playing off a traditional center-forward who held up the ball for him, where he could focus on his first touch and firing on goal.
or a team that has enough technical skill to play really fast one touch football

Darlofletch
12-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Many websites have reported his salary at $30,000 a week/$600,000 a year/$1.8 million over 3 years.

good for him, glad he's found a place where his style of play works.

I hope de ro doesn't notice his pay cheque.

jloome
12-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Oh Vitti. Never will forget when he thought he scored his first goal and ripped off his shirt, only to have the linesman rule him offside and have the ref show him a yellow.

A legit goal that probably kept his lack of self-confidence in full force. They call that a goal, which it was, and he scores 6-10 that season, changes the face of it.

Bold statement until you consider that he's a very flighty guy, just like Cunny. If he thinks he's gone to hell -- and since being dropped from the Argentine U-21 starting lineup, his national nickname has been "El Muerte", the dead -- he's not going to play well.

He got out of the spotlight and is succeeding again. Very talented guy but required too much patience for a 300K salary in MLS.

__wowza
12-30-2010, 11:50 AM
You have 'I Love Pablo' tattood across your chest?

:rolleyes: my chest?

:( i wish!!

J .
12-30-2010, 12:37 PM
He needed to play in Guevaras position or DeRos.

Simply too many cooks in the kitchen. He did have a horrible finish here and he had many, many chances to score.

Yohan
12-30-2010, 12:41 PM
He did have a horrible finish here and he had many, many chances to score.
many which were off only by a cunt hair. on an another day (or century lol) and a little bit of luck, would have hit the corner of the net

Mikey
12-30-2010, 12:45 PM
His pouty headshot on the giant screen during team call was one of the game highlights......

Oblio2
12-30-2010, 12:48 PM
He tried hard (sometimes) which is better than a lot of the douches that have played here but he was and is, complete crap

Yohan
12-30-2010, 12:50 PM
He tried hard (sometimes) which is better than a lot of the douches that have played here but he was and is, complete crap
lol. this comment is funny

__wowza
12-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Simply too many cooks in the kitchen. He did have a horrible finish here and he had many, many chances to score.

many which were off only by a cunt hair. on an another day (or century lol) and a little bit of luck, would have hit the corner of the net

it takes awhile to get settled. in his age above all else.
keep in mind we also said the same thing about one C. Barrett.

s2cazz
12-30-2010, 01:14 PM
You sure he was the one that was shit while he was here?

IMHO biggest waste of talent in TFC's short history. Under utilized and could have developed into something great. That said he was 300k of cap space wasted though. Not worth what he was getting paid.

I hope he does well...

Roogsy
12-30-2010, 01:17 PM
:rolleyes: my chest?

:( i wish!!

I have:

EXTREME DEROSARIO FAN AND LOVER FOREVER AND EVER

Tattooed on my cock in gothic font size 72 straight down the shaft.

On the other side I have

CHEVY HAS A SECRET OBSESSIVE CRUSH ON ROOGSY

By the way, I always liked Vitti. I thought he was the wrong fit here. His style did not fit with the style the team was playing and he needed similar players like him to succeed. But I never doubted his skill (which was undoubtedly better than most players here in Toronto). He's actually pretty happy in South America. He was having a tough time here as much as we tried to help him fit in.

prizby
12-30-2010, 01:23 PM

you can't judge him on something you haven't seen...with grass at BMO, things could have changed...like i said, if you judge everyone on 1 year of adapting to the league than you would never have had the conor casey's...he didn't start scoring a lot until september of year 2...by that time everyone (here) would have been screaming for his head to be axed

Derko
12-30-2010, 01:55 PM

Agreed,

Derko
12-30-2010, 02:03 PM
A legit goal that probably kept his lack of self-confidence in full force. They call that a goal, which it was, and he scores 6-10 that season, changes the face of it.

Bold statement until you consider that he's a very flighty guy, just like Cunny. If he thinks he's gone to hell -- and since being dropped from the Argentine U-21 starting lineup, his national nickname has been "El Muerte", the dead -- he's not going to play well.

He got out of the spotlight and is succeeding again. Very talented guy but required too much patience for a 300K salary in MLS.

I am in agreement with your comments, How much is too much patience for a talented guy like JDG to actually contribute to TFC at his salary

Chevy
12-30-2010, 02:13 PM
good for him, glad he's found a place where his style of play works.

I hope de ro doesn't notice his pay cheque.

Can you imagine? DeRo is a world a way shakin' his a$$ for dollar bills and finds out Pablo just got paid?

CretanBull
12-30-2010, 07:08 PM
you can't judge him on something you haven't seen...with grass at BMO, things could have changed...like i said, if you judge everyone on 1 year of adapting to the league than you would never have had the conor casey's...he didn't start scoring a lot until september of year 2...by that time everyone (here) would have been screaming for his head to be axed

I'm not sure why I can't judge him on what I haven't seen, yet you can say with certainty that grass would have changed everything for him ;)

When players struggle to adapt to a new league, you can atleast see the process...first trying to play their game in the new league, then realizing that their game isn't working in the new league, then making adjustments to their game to suit the new league, finally fitting in with the new league. We didn't see any of that process with Vitti...we saw a guy who just kept trying to play his game.

Vitti's 25th game for TFC was no different from his 5th game, he kept making the same, predictable mistakes over and over again. He had a good first touch, then fell apart when defenders closed in on him and over the course of the year he didn't show any signs of improvement in that regard.

That wasn't true of Casey (who scored the same number of goals...in about half the games). Casey looked more like Char Barrett, a work horse who always looked like he was on the verge of a break-out. His tenacity made him an effective player, even when he wasn't scoring..he stretched defenses, made space for his strike partner and wide players, he wore down the CBs that he was up against.

Vitti did none of those things. He got the ball, made a nice first move often beating the man covering him, then he'd dribble the ball into traffic or defenders would close in on him and he'd lose his composure time and time again and end up coughing up the ball or making a bad pass under pressure. He was a very easy player for defenders to isolate.

Pachuco
12-30-2010, 07:21 PM
i think Vitti would have succeeded in MLS, if he didn't played for a dysfunctional team that clearly had no idea what to do with him. both cummins and JC had no idea what to do with Vitti, as he kept shuffled around positions hoping that he sticks somewhere, and rarely in his natural AMC/2nd striker role

i think Vitti would be a hard fit in MLS, but I do think he would have done well in his natural role being able to play with some players who can hold the ball and create space for Vitti to his thing. he kept running into people because well, he got the ball a lot when the opposition was set when i think he's better on counters and during transitions when the opposition defence isn't set, and there are gaps for him to exploit.

in MLS today, I think Vitti would do well with NYRB or Seattle, both teams having good systems but could use Vitti's flair in offence

Very well said. Couldn't agree more with all of this.

Shakes McQueen
12-30-2010, 07:27 PM

Yep. I don't wish ill on him, and I'm glad he found success in another league. I still don't think he was any good with us, but it wasn't for lack of effort or heart.

- Scott

jloome
12-30-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm not sure why I can't judge him on what I haven't seen, yet you can say with certainty that grass would have changed everything for him ;)

When players struggle to adapt to a new league, you can atleast see the process...first trying to play their game in the new league, then realizing that their game isn't working in the new league, then making adjustments to their game to suit the new league, finally fitting in with the new league. We didn't see any of that process with Vitti...we saw a guy who just kept trying to play his game.

Vitti's 25th game for TFC was no different from his 5th game, he kept making the same, predictable mistakes over and over again. He had a good first touch, then fell apart when defenders closed in on him and over the course of the year he didn't show any signs of improvement in that regard.

That wasn't true of Casey (who scored the same number of goals...in about half the games). Casey looked more like Char Barrett, a work horse who always looked like he was on the verge of a break-out. His tenacity made him an effective player, even when he wasn't scoring..he stretched defenses, made space for his strike partner and wide players, he wore down the CBs that he was up against.

Vitti did none of those things. He got the ball, made a nice first move often beating the man covering him, then he'd dribble the ball into traffic or defenders would close in on him and he'd lose his composure time and time again and end up coughing up the ball or making a bad pass under pressure. He was a very easy player for defenders to isolate.

It's not a personal statement but I simply think your memory is almost entirely wrong. He very "fell apart" and lost the ball under pressure -- quite the contrary, he was the only guy on the team who actually seemed capable of hanging onto it.

More often, he dribbled right through pressure, had nowhere to go and no one to feed, and dished it to someone standing two feet away.

He wasn't "easily isolated", he was just "isolated," because our team movement was, is and has always been complete shit.

Revisionist history, to me anyway. He didn't, as someone here suggests, blow tons of chances. He hardly ever took a shot and was clearly terrified of the concept of playing as a striker, usually dropping back nearly to midifeld even when played up top.

I've never seen such an obvious case of lack of confidence. But it didn't play out the way you seem to remember it. At least, that's the way I seem to remember it.:D

jloome
12-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Yeah, you wish you could fit 72 pt. The letter "d", maybe.

I have:

EXTREME DEROSARIO FAN AND LOVER FOREVER AND EVER

Tattooed on my cock in gothic font size 72 straight down the shaft.

On the other side I have

CHEVY HAS A SECRET OBSESSIVE CRUSH ON ROOGSY

By the way, I always liked Vitti. I thought he was the wrong fit here. His style did not fit with the style the team was playing and he needed similar players like him to succeed. But I never doubted his skill (which was undoubtedly better than most players here in Toronto). He's actually pretty happy in South America. He was having a tough time here as much as we tried to help him fit in.

Shakes McQueen
12-30-2010, 07:42 PM
It's not a personal statement but I simply think your memory is almost entirely wrong. He very "fell apart" and lost the ball under pressure -- quite the contrary, he was the only guy on the team who actually seemed capable of hanging onto it.

More often, he dribbled right through pressure, had nowhere to go and no one to feed, and dished it to someone standing two feet away.

He wasn't "easily isolated", he was just "isolated," because our team movement was, is and has always been complete shit.

Revisionist history, to me anyway. He didn't, as someone here suggests, blow tons of chances. He hardly ever took a shot and was clearly terrified of the concept of playing as a striker, usually dropping back nearly to midifeld even when played up top.

I've never seen such an obvious case of lack of confidence. But it didn't play out the way you seem to remember it. At least, that's the way I seem to remember it.:D

CB's memory of Vitti mirror's my own account. Looked good with the ball at his feet, could usually beat the initial defender, and then would get closed down, or would make a lame pass a few feet away. And while some of that can clearly be pegged to the team around him, I don't think it absolves him of any and all guilt. I think a guy like Barrett, for all his faults, his shown more of an ability to interact with the guys around him than Vitti ever did.

I think Vitti was just an above-average footballer, in the wrong league. And he never could make the adjustment.

- Scott

los sonadores
12-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Re: Shakes McQueen: I'm afraid that "an above average footballer" would make Vitti above the level of our league. But whatever, certainly JLoome is correct that our movement has always been shit (including Barrett's, most of the time).

It's also true that the highest skilled and highest football IQ players have also been among the worst performing players on the club since the beginning. Robert, Vitti, Mista (though I'd say Vitti was not quite in the other two's class....but then he also performed better than these two despite his shortcomings. He worked hard on the pitch.)

I'm glad he's doing well in Peru, it's always depressing to see talent go to waste.

Shakes McQueen
12-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Re: Shakes McQueen: I'm afraid that "an above average footballer" would make Vitti above the level of our league.

Most likely, which is why I mentioned it in the context of saying he was in the wrong league. Different leagues, different styles of play. Some make the change beautifully, and some don't.

- Scott

los sonadores
12-30-2010, 09:49 PM
I'll add JDG to that list of skilled players not at all well used by TFC (for various reasons that include the low skill level and tactical incompetence of the team).

Vitti played well on occasion with Dichio. Probably because Dichio understood movement in a real way. And also Dichio wasn't already playing something like Vitti's natural position... or at least the position Viiti seemed to be wanting to play (ie, Guevera, De Rosario).

Roogsy
12-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Yeah, you wish you could fit 72 pt. The letter "d", maybe.

I failed to mention that this is in it's flacid state as well. :D

Stouffville_RPB
01-03-2011, 03:04 PM

Trying to steal my title wowza?

Yagbod
01-03-2011, 03:10 PM

I thought it said 'sings with Universitario'. Now that would be be entertaining...

bignickel
01-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Re: Shakes McQueen: I'm afraid that "an above average footballer" would make Vitti above the level of our league. But whatever, certainly JLoome is correct that our movement has always been shit (including Barrett's, most of the time).

It's also true that the highest skilled and highest football IQ players have also been among the worst performing players on the club since the beginning. Robert, Vitti, Mista (though I'd say Vitti was not quite in the other two's class....but then he also performed better than these two despite his shortcomings. He worked hard on the pitch.)

I'm glad he's doing well in Peru, it's always depressing to see talent go to waste.

peruvian national team manager (sergio markarian) is hoping they nationalize vitti as he wants him playing for him during world cup qualifiers. markarian has a pretty impressive resume and has coached top s.a talent for many years. looks like vitti is impressing the right people these days.

Juanito
01-03-2011, 05:33 PM
I liked Vitti. I don't think he was given a fair shake. He could have become a great goal-scorer if there was anything resembling chemistry on TFC. He was left alone and he did what he could, but to me, it showed that his football knowledge was way beyond most players on this team and they just didn't know what he was doing.