PDA

View Full Version : Who should be TFC's new Captain?

zooko62000
12-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Since Dwayne can not be Captain after all that's happenned. Who should it be, my vote is for Frei.

Carts
12-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Since Dwayne can not be Captain after all that's happenned. Who should it be, my vote is for Frei.

My vote is to not vote until we know who's on the roster...

ArmenJBX
12-29-2010, 08:50 PM
This isn't even a question:
Adrian Cann

TFC Bhoy
12-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Frei isn't a bad choice but I think I would go for Cann myself

TFC USA
12-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Jacob Peterson.

Suds
12-29-2010, 08:56 PM
the guy who in the beer garden who can pour two tall-boy beers simultaneously with a perfect head on each

Flipityflu
12-29-2010, 09:01 PM
a captain of what exactly?

don't we need a team first, or a manager for that matter?

poppamidnight
12-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Who voted Frei????

....Don't we want stability???

...Yea that's it - lets make the guy we've been eyeing a euro-transfer-fee (since drafted) for

He's still got eyes for europe - you realize that right?

NOTE: i voted Cann - but also believe Gargan would be a solid captain - those are the only 2 i'd even consider

zooko62000
12-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Who voted Frei????

....Don't we want stability???

...Yea that's it - lets make the guy we've been eyeing a euro-transfer-fee (since drafted) for

He's still got eyes for europe - you realize that right?

NOTE: i voted Cann - but also believe Gargan would be a solid captain - those are the only 2 i'd even consider

I voted for Frei because he has been our most consistent or stable player.

Roogsy
12-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Leaf fan syndrome all over again.

I love Adrian. Great guy. Solid player. Captain? Consistent?

Tell me, what happened to our defense once we stopped playing Preki-"11 players behind the halfline"-ball?

I am not even sure what people's criteria is for a "captain" anymore.

Flipityflu
12-29-2010, 09:23 PM
i nominate Roogsy

Roogsy
12-29-2010, 09:25 PM
:lol:

Have you ever seen fans invade the pitch to try to hurt a skipper?

You might.

Suds
12-29-2010, 09:35 PM
:lol:

Have you ever seen fans invade the pitch to try to hurt a skipper?

You might.

maybe that's what he was getting at :D

Yohan
12-29-2010, 09:37 PM
come back to us, Sam Cronin!

rocktml
12-29-2010, 09:39 PM
What a shoemakers thread! DERO!!!!!

TFC_PB
12-29-2010, 09:46 PM
come back to us, Sam Cronin!

Obviously, you are a person of refined taste and excellence. I applaud you, good sir.

Stryker
12-29-2010, 10:06 PM
How sad that nobody on the roster is even REMOTELY captain material.

Darlofletch
12-29-2010, 10:09 PM
I wanted a none of the above option. I'm hoping we'll get someone in whose impressive career stats, trophies and leadership stand out as an obvious captain.

as that wasn't an option, I chose Kocic.

Wull
12-29-2010, 10:19 PM
I went with Nana. Seems to choose his words carefully when dealing with the press, I prefer a defender or midfielder as captain as they generally can see more of what's happening on the field but if jdg were to live up to his reputation then he'd probably be the ideal candidate of those available

Roogsy
12-29-2010, 10:25 PM
I went with Nana. Seems to choose his words carefully when dealing with the press, I prefer a defender or midfielder as captain as they generally can see more of what's happening on the field but if jdg were to live up to his reputation then he'd probably be the ideal candidate of those available

I am really interested in what "captain material" is. Any insights? Because your posts seems to point to a requirement: "choose his words carefully when dealing with the press". Is that a major consideration? Any others?

TFCtoMUFC
12-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Nana or Gargan. Both are hard workers. Nana seems to lead by his play, and is a good speaker (from what I've seen). Gargan is a blue collar guy, puts his heart and soul in to the game and it shows, he also does whatever is asked of him and leads by example.

ArmenJBX
12-29-2010, 10:34 PM
RoogsyRosario, a captain is someone who is loyal to his club and doesn't go out of his way to leave.

Suds
12-29-2010, 10:35 PM
put any list of attributes you want about what it means to be a captain but the most important is only one attribute - the respect of the other players in the room and the desire to follow his lead

Darlofletch
12-29-2010, 10:37 PM
I am really interested in what "captain material" is. Any insights? Because your posts seems to point to a requirement: "choose his words carefully when dealing with the press". Is that a major consideration? Any others?

really, even after the last couple of days, you're still spoiling for another dero fight? I commend your endurance.

ag futbol
12-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Nana or Gargan. Both are hard workers. Nana seems to lead by his play, and is a good speaker (from what I've seen). Gargan is a blue collar guy, puts his heart and soul in to the game and it shows, he also does whatever is asked of him and leads by example.
Gargan gives us value for the money we pay him but he is not a world beater. I will gladly have him on TFC but the legend of Dan Gargan seems to be getting a lot larger than the actual performance Dan Gargan put on the field last year. At his best he had some decent games and worked hard. On the opposite end he was torched on more than a few occasions (RSL @ BMO field being a good example).

This is just like when Jimmy B was Captain. It was romanticized but it was ineffective because his level of play didn't lend itself to the role he was asked to play. Jimmy would yell at guys for being out of position, but he was always one of the worst when it came to that kind of thing.

Cann or Frei, that's it. I would say Nana but he's young and unlikely to stick around, hard to gather respect in a captain spot under those circumstances. But overall i wouldn't consider who our captain is to be a game breaking decision. There's got to be leadership on multiple fronts regardless of who wears that stupid band.

Roogsy
12-29-2010, 10:47 PM
really, even after the last couple of days, you're still spoiling for another dero fight? I commend your endurance.

Thanks...the wife is thankful too. :D

Actually I was more interested in measuring whatever our next famed captain against these supposed qualifications as a captain because to be perfectly honest I have come through these last 3 months supremely confused as to what the Toronto soccer fans reasonably expects from their captain.

When I read statements that apparently point to a player being a nice guy or quiet with the media, I wonder what the point of a skipper is at all.

Beach_Red
12-29-2010, 10:51 PM
RoogsyRosario, a captain is someone who is loyal to his club and doesn't go out of his way to leave.

Loyal to his "franchise," we don't have clubs in MLS. And that is something that makes this tough. TFC has been accused more than once in the past of not respecting its players. Maybe those days are over, but in the past being captain of this team wasn't so straightforward.

Wull
12-29-2010, 11:05 PM

Good examples: Phil Neville, Carles Puyol, Javier Zanetti. Even Brennan had enough of the qualities I'd look for. Nana works hard on the pitch, seems to have the respect of the team and opponents, deals with the media well. Hasn't bitched in public about his piss-poor salary, came up through the club which is always a bonus. He lacks experience although I've seen it work elsewhere but, again, we don't have a great deal of candidates to choose from.
This is the bit where Garcia would have come in handy :picard:

It's not about being quiet or nice in the media, it's about representing the club well in all aspects of the role. On the field, in the changing room, in the media, link between players and front office, in the community etc.

Roogsy
12-29-2010, 11:09 PM
This is the point I am trying to get at.

4 seasons. Dozens of angry players that have left. Many accusations of the way this club deals with it's players. Players associate the "club" with the front office. To them, "TFC" is Mo, Earl, Tom, Paul, Cesar etc. It's not the fans. They all love the fans.

So when they have conflicts with the "club", it's actually with the FO. Why exactly do supporters feel like the players have betrayed them? The conflict, whether it's Ricketts, Robbo, Gerba, DeRo, Sutton or Esky, isn't with the fans. But somehow the fans feel like when these players point out the lack of "loyalty" from the FO, they are still bound by some weird sense of loyalty back to the club no matter how they are treated.

It's weird. I have no such demands of any player, DeRo or otherwise.

Roogsy
12-29-2010, 11:11 PM
It's not about being quiet or nice in the media, it's about representing the club well in all aspects of the role. On the field, in the changing room, in the media, link between players and front office, in the community etc.

This at least I can understand and sympathize. Then let's just break it down to the basic argument that the skipper need not be the best player on the team? Seems to be more of an ambassadorial role, one that star players usually cannot fulfill.

However, using that rationale...I don't see a single player in the OPs list that fits the bill. And that speaks to the quality of our club.

Whoop
12-29-2010, 11:12 PM
There is no one on this team that is captain material.

No one.

Suds
12-29-2010, 11:15 PM
http://rfg917.com/fhl/assets/yzerman_mug_getty_260.jpg

If this guy can kick a soccer ball I'd take him as our captain next year!

werewolf
12-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Conway, because he looks most like an Altintop, which we need more of, and seems like a great pub ambassador.

Whoop
12-29-2010, 11:19 PM
A captain is someone who picks up the team when they are down. A guy that players know plays for the team and not for himself. A guy that will defend his teammates even if he is at fault. A guy that can call others out in the dressing room, challenge his teammates, and be respected.

A guy that cares about the brothers in the room and not himself or anyone else.

Ideally you want a guy who is a star because a lot of stars are leaders. But it doesn't have to be a star. It can be a worker, a guy with determination, a no name guy.

I'll give you an example, be it a hockey example that I came across just a couple of weeks ago. A kid that was the captain of the team, but when the team wasn't doing well, he willing gave up the captaincy if he felt it was better for the team, if it would help the team. Keep your eye on #26 in maroon.

WedvOdw-eG8

I'm sure some of you could provide football examples. My first thought is Roy Keane. An asshole to play against, but always had his teammates' backs and never stabbed his teammates in the back.

Roogsy
12-29-2010, 11:21 PM

There are some professional athletes that exude that "je ne sais quois" that makes a captain. A natural leader. An inspiring figure. Stevie Y was undeniably one of those.

The Leafs have not had a captain like that since Dougie Gilmour's first tour with us (not his 2nd), the Jays haven't had it since Joe Carter. The Raptors have NEVER had it...and I dare say neither has Toronto FC.

So why are we so focused on it? Bring in the right players to play their roles and stop concentrating on the romanticized version of a captain because Stevie Y doesn't come around because you're looking for him...he simply shows up while you're busy building a proper team.

Whoop
12-29-2010, 11:23 PM
The best captain TFC had, or embodied leadership abilities, was Danny Dichio.

Wull
12-29-2010, 11:24 PM

I'd say Robbo was our best on the rare occasions Jimmy was unavailable

Whoop
12-29-2010, 11:24 PM
There are some professional athletes that exude that "je ne sais quois" that makes a captain. A natural leader. An inspiring figure. Stevie Y was undeniably one of those.

The Leafs have not had a captain like that since Dougie Gilmour's first tour with us (not his 2nd), the Jays haven't had it since Joe Carter. The Raptors have NEVER had it...and I dare say neither has Toronto FC.

So why are we so focused on it? Bring in the right players to play their roles and stop concentrating on the romanticized version of a captain because Stevie Y doesn't come around because you're looking for him...he simply shows up while you're busy building a proper team.

Problem is everyone is fighting in TFC's dressing room amongst themselves.

The dressing room has been dysfunctional for a long time.

The best thing to do is clean house top to bottom.

Roogsy
12-29-2010, 11:26 PM

I would agree with this. But he was not made captain was he? No because while players respected him as a captain, the role was given to Brennan because of, shall we call it, political reasons?

Pointing to the weight of this issue. It's as useless as a third tit. This team does not fail because it has the wrong captain. It fails because it is not built on a solid foundation. Who is given the captaincy is a symptom of how the team is built. So worry about how the team is built FIRST and forget this nonsense about the captaincy. How a captain behaves should be exactly the same as how the lesser member of the team behaves and if we don't expect that, then our own standards are to be questioned.

Whoop
12-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Joe Carter?

The leaders on the Jays during the World Series years were in '92 Dave Winfield and in '93 Paul Molitor. It wasn't Joltin' Joe.

Whoop
12-29-2010, 11:28 PM
I would agree with this. But he was not made captain was he? No because while players respected him as a captain, the role was given to Brennan because of, shall we call it, political reasons?

Pointing to the weight of this issue. It's as useless as a third tit. This team does not fail because it has the wrong captain. It fails because it is not built on a solid foundation. Who is given the captaincy is a symptom of how the team is built. So worry about how the team is built FIRST and forget this nonsense about the captaincy. How a captain behaves should be exactly the same as how the lesser member of the team behaves and if we don't expect that, then our own standards are to be questioned.

Brennan was the captain mainly because he was the first signing... and he was Canadian.

Agreed all members should act accordingly.

But when your captain is a problem, so is the rest of the ship.

Darlofletch
12-29-2010, 11:32 PM

+1 though that is a ridiculously high standard that very few people in any sport would reach. the way he changed his game from flashy point scorer to defensively responsible player who doesn't get as many points or highlights, but helps the team win, and forced the rest of them to go along with him, that right there is a captain.

when preki was trying to introduce a more defensively responsible system last year, did his captain go along with that to set an example for the rest of the team to follow? nope, dero's more of a stevie g type than stevie y.

Roogsy
12-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Joe Carter?

The leaders on the Jays during the World Series years were in '92 Dave Winfield and in '93 Paul Molitor. It wasn't Joltin' Joe.

I think we can agree to disagree on this one. Both Winfield and Molitor were here to make last ditch efforts to secure World Series rings after failing to do so after spending their entire careers at their original clubs. Neither spent more than a year or two here. And while their experience and dedication were probably integral to the success of those seasons, Carter was the drive behind those teams, backed up by the sterling numbers put up by their "stars" like Alomar and Olerud.

In fact, I would say the Jays were a good example of what should have happened at TFC. We should have KEPT Robbo and his professionalism, not brought on and paid JDG a fortune. We should have brought on DeRo and paid him well but not made him captain. If anyone came on board that was going to be paid more than DeRo it should have been a DP striker from Europe. And we should have had a stable, competent manager. <<< This formula here would have brought us a playoff appearance and more, I believe it with every fibre of my body and we would not have seen a fraction of the problems we have had with TFC these past 2 years. Which is why in my opinion, our current state and drama has nothing to do with the "captaincy" but with how this team is run.

But when your captain is a problem, so is the rest of the ship.

That is a complete cop-out that releases people of their responsibility behind the cover of some out of date concept that is a skipper.

Wull
12-29-2010, 11:36 PM
This at least I can understand and sympathize. Then let's just break it down to the basic argument that the skipper need not be the best player on the team? Seems to be more of an ambassadorial role, one that star players usually cannot fulfill.

However, using that rationale...I don't see a single player in the OPs list that fits the bill. And that speaks to the quality of our club.

I was okay with Dero until the cheque-signing, even then I wanted him paid but the captaincy removed. Star players can make good captains if they are able to put the club and team as a whole ahead of themselves. I agree that we don't have a suitable candidate but we have to pick one on that list and unless jdg ups his game the rest are stronger in some areas but lacking in others.

With regard to others trying to get out of here,there's two ways to leave; you can leave the way Edu did where everything was done professionally, respectfully and everybody came out of it looking well or you can do it like the current gong show we have going. There is a clear difference

prizby
12-29-2010, 11:37 PM
lol milos kocic, 1 vote...not much a captain can do when they are sent on loan...

Nuvinho
12-29-2010, 11:41 PM
There is NO ONE currently on our team that is Captain material.

Whoop
12-29-2010, 11:45 PM
That is a complete cop-out that releases people of their responsibility behind the cover of some out of date concept that is a skipper.

How so?

The concept of a captain, while at times overblown ideally your team should be full of captains, is not out of date.

When you look at championship teams they have guys who are leaders, captains, guys who sacrifice themselves for the team not for themselves. Guys who bleed their teams' colours, even if it is for a short period of time.

Derek Jeter being a good example. Carles Puyol. Roy Keane. Guys who take young players under their wing, make new guys feel welcome, and show them how to act professionally.

It's not an out of date concept. Still exists and will always exist whenever you put a TEAM together.

Just because DeRo was/is a shitty captain doesn't mean the captaincy role isn't important.

prizby
12-29-2010, 11:53 PM
lets be honest nick garcia will be resigned and given the armband

Roogsy
12-30-2010, 12:06 AM
How so?

The concept of a captain, while at times overblown ideally your team should be full of captains, is not out of date.

When you look at championship teams they have guys who are leaders, captains, guys who sacrifice themselves for the team not for themselves. Guys who bleed their teams' colours, even if it is for a short period of time.

Derek Jeter being a good example. Carles Puyol. Roy Keane. Guys who take young players under their wing, make new guys feel welcome, and show them how to act professionally.

It's not an out of date concept. Still exists and will always exist whenever you put a TEAM together.

Just because DeRo was/is a shitty captain doesn't mean the captaincy role isn't important.

I never denied having leaders on a team is not necessary for success. But leader does not equal captain, especially when you consider some of the definitions of "captain" that people seem to be holding on this board. Therefore what you are describing is having a "leader" on the team and if that is what you mean, then yes you're right. They are necessary/important. That does not necessarily have to be your captain and it definitely does not have to be your "best" player.

And what does it say about this team when you look around and there is nobody else BUT DeRo to be a "leader"? If he is not the kind of leader that should be a captain, so be it. But isn't it a bigger problem and an indictiment of this organization and team that there is actually NOBODY on this team that can actually wear the armband that would play the role that you describe?

Our last captain debate ended similarly. To me giving DeRo the armband was a mistake. He should never have been given than responsibility after also carrying the scoring burden for this team as well. Everyone on this planet has their gift and ability and his was to create scoring opportunities. This is where we desperately missed Robbo. He didn't score. He wasn't flashy. But he could have marshalled this team. And if that is what you're looking for from a captain, then I agree. But all I am saying is that you don't have to wear the armband to exhibit those qualities as Robbo and Danny showed us time and again even when Jimmy was wearing it instead of them. And remember that this team shipped 2 (maybe 3) of those guys out in a less than respectable manner. Some "loyalty" to their leaders huh?

Whoop
12-30-2010, 12:12 AM
^^
That's why I said there is no one on this team that is a captain.

But I also wonder if DeRo wasn't named captain last year if he would have raised a stink? There are "captains" in professional sports who demand to be captain even if they aren't necessarily good leaders. Those guys diminish the value of a captaincy role.

Roogsy
12-30-2010, 12:16 AM
I will tell you that he did not demand it. I get the feeling it was arranged to try to appease his contract demands. Like somehow wearing the armband was going to get him more take-home money. It seems bit patronizing on the part of the team. And certainly shows you how much value they placed on the gesture and how much thought was put into the matter.

menefreghista
12-30-2010, 12:21 AM
I will tell you that he did not demand it. I get the feeling it was arranged to try to appease his contract demands. Like somehow wearing the armband was going to get him more take-home money. It seems bit patronizing on the part of the team. And certainly shows you how much value they placed on the gesture and how much thought was put into the matter.

And its not like there were really any other options. At the beginning of the 2010 season who was worthy of captain other than De Rosario? De Guzman maybe?

Its interesting that some people have this romantic view of Brennan as captain. As far as I could tell he was never captain anywhere else he played. And having watched him play for Canada I never pictured him as a captain.

Roogsy
12-30-2010, 12:29 AM
^ Which goes back to the issue that this team has not placed any value in leadership at all. They unceremoniously dumped 2 of the most "leader" like players they had and simply hand over the badge to the player who is scoring the most, easy peasy. Very similar to how they decided to give the armband to Jimmy. "Hey...you're experienced and Canadian, here you go!"

I think they should have called Vic and asked him to conduct a search. Much like they did with JK. Doesn't look like a lot of work and it's at least 6 figures in comp!

menefreghista
12-30-2010, 12:32 AM
I think they should have called Vic and asked him to conduct a search. Much like they did with JK. Doesn't look like a lot of work and it's at least 6 figures in comp!

Klinsmann has the best job in the world. Get paid by MLSE to find Mariner and Cochrane to run TFC. That is quality consulting right there.

Stryker
12-30-2010, 12:34 AM
I agree with Whoopee that there is nobody on the team currently that is captain material as well as that Dichio was the closest embodiment to that we've ever had.
I also agree with whomever is of the opinions that nethier Brennen nor DeRo were ever particularily good choices as captain.

Hustle
12-30-2010, 12:49 AM
DeGuzman is no captain. He doesn't want to be here either. He came for the payday and THATS IT and I can't blame him. Good work by his agent getting him all that $, but its easy to see that is the shitshow that started all this mess. As long as DeGuzman is making all that cash, were screwed. Can cochrane build a team in 75 days to utilize DeGuzman's strengths and make him worth his salary? NO. He's just not effective enough in this league and never will be to justify the money he makes. You can't build a real team in this situation.

Who should be captain? Right now there is no hope, so I can't wait for some good news.

As I said before, if anyone thought everything was going to get better within a few months of Mo being fired, its a dream. His legacy of poison is going to hurt us for at least another year and the proof is what's happening now.

Peace

shwade
12-30-2010, 01:21 AM
Half these guys shouldn't even be in the starting 11, let alone be captain.

Technorgasm
12-30-2010, 09:34 AM
SHAUGNO

Chevy
12-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks...the wife is thankful too. :D

Actually I was more interested in measuring whatever our next famed captain against these supposed qualifications as a captain because to be perfectly honest I have come through these last 3 months supremely confused as to what the Toronto soccer fans reasonably expects from their captain.

When I read statements that apparently point to a player being a nice guy or quiet with the media, I wonder what the point of a skipper is at all.

You really, REALLY need not participate in this thread.

Parkdale
12-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Half these guys shouldn't even be in the starting 11, let alone be captain.

can I vote for this one?

Section 117
12-30-2010, 09:52 AM
A captain should have played a while so that he has been there and done that know how to handle almost any situation, be well spoken with the media as he is the player that the media wants to talk to 90% of the time, have respect from the players (usually due to experience not necessairly skill), quell issues of disconnect in the dressing room, be the go between coach and players, doesn't air grievences in public and one last thing will to fight to the end for the badge and be proud to wear it.

This is what I want as a captain on my team. There IMO were only two players who had these qualities ever to play for TFC: Danny Dichio and Carl Robinson. By the way there absolutely no one on this TFC that deserves the arm band. Even if Dero comes back he should be stripped of the band due to: Wheeler interview, Cheque siging, and now Celtic-gate

Just my 2 cents

Parkdale
12-30-2010, 09:55 AM
This is what I want as a captain on my team. There IMO were only two players who had these qualities ever to play for TFC: Danny Dichio and Carl Robinson.

I'd add Sam Cronin and Stephen Frei as 'one more year of experience and they could be there' captains.

Menelaos
12-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Cann for me.

Section 117
12-30-2010, 10:01 AM
I'd add Sam Cronin and Stephen Frei as 'one more year of experience and they could be there' captains.

IMO i think they both need at least a couple more years of experience. For Cronin who I think needs to play more to garner the ability to lead the team. Your captain needs to play 90% of the time

Chevy
12-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Just throwing this out there - Do you HAVE to have a captain? Is it a requirement in soccer?

I know some NHL teams have gone without one.

__wowza
12-30-2010, 10:24 AM
i nomintate jimmybald.

deacon
12-30-2010, 10:31 AM
I would not rule out a Cronin return to TFC. With Dero situation blowingup, and Yallop in SJE, and Super draft a few weeks away, this is very possible.

Yohan
12-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Just throwing this out there - Do you HAVE to have a captain? Is it a requirement in soccer?

I know some NHL teams have gone without one.
i think you do. someone has to be the motivator, the leader on the pitch when the manager can't influence the game as much

funny thing is, Nick Garcia has shown all the aspects of good captain on the pitch, except he sucked as player in Toronto and he's MoJo's boy

god I wish Dichio was few years younger. there would have been none of that locker room drama if he was the captain

Pookie
12-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Leaf fan syndrome all over again.

I love Adrian. Great guy. Solid player. Captain? Consistent?

Tell me, what happened to our defense once we stopped playing Preki-"11 players behind the halfline"-ball?

I am not even sure what people's criteria is for a "captain" anymore.

Man of the Year has to mean something doesn't it?

To me, Leaf fan syndrome are the guys giving it to curfew missing, would rather be in Europe but if you twist my arm I'll play here... Julian De Guzman. He should be captain because he is the highest paid and/or I at least recognize his name. That's Leaf fan syndrome right there.

TFC/Everton
12-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Julian. He has to be a leader!

__wowza
12-30-2010, 10:49 AM
^ he didnt work hard before, what makes you think that'll make him work harder?

Pookie
12-30-2010, 10:51 AM

Cronin got instant respect from me... as if that is worth something... when he came out to face the cameras, along with Edwards, after we lost 5-0 in NY.

Jimmy B and crew were no where to be found but there was Cronin answering the call.

Roogsy
12-30-2010, 11:06 AM

I am pretty tired of hearing about Frei as captain. Is he a great keeper? Yes! But again, I thought that there needed to be more than "great play"?

Not to mention, other than Casillas in Madrid, who here can thank of a "great" captain for any other team that is a keeper? There are inherent problems with being the keeper AND the skipper which is why most teams don't do it. But in our rush to find the idyllic captain, we throw up Frei. Seems we're no better at selecting a captain than TFC is.

Roogsy
12-30-2010, 11:09 AM
I would not rule out a Cronin return to TFC. With Dero situation blowingup, and Yallop in SJE, and Super draft a few weeks away, this is very possible.

He would be PISSED.

He was not happy about leaving but accepted it and moved on. He loved being here and was very upset that he was traded away...especially for a bag of balls.

Coming back, I am not sure we're going to have the same player in terms of dedication. The experience jaded him.

However, I do get the feeling that if there is a DeRo trade to San Jose on the table, TFC are going to try to get Sam back.

Yohan
12-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Oliver Kahn? isn't Kasey Keller Seattle's captain?

Parkdale
12-30-2010, 11:11 AM
There are inherent problems with being the keeper AND the skipper which is why most teams don't do it.

and yet there are dozens and dozens of teams around the world that DO make their keeper the captain. In fact, it happens all the time.

Roogsy
12-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Oliver Kahn? isn't Kasey Keller Seattle's captain?

I did not say teams don't do it. I said teams don't usually do it. In other words, there have to be exceptional circumstances and an exceptional player with an undeniable pedigree to carry that armband and be a keeper at the same time.

Khan and Keller are bonafide internationals who played in the top tier and the top clubs in Europe and had long established their place at their club.

Frei is the same as these guys?

Yohan
12-30-2010, 11:19 AM
I did not say teams don't do it. I said teams don't usually do it. In other words, there have to be exceptional circumstances and an exceptional player with an undeniable pedigree to carry that armband and be a keeper at the same time.

Khan and Keller are bonafide internationals who played in the top tier and the top clubs in Europe and had long established their place at their club.

Frei is the same as these guys?
I think we can safely assumed that Frei has established his place at TFC. the question is, whether he has leadership qualities that his teammates respect him as a player and man. regardless whether he had good international pedigrees or not.

plenty of keepers are made captain, and those guys aren't international team materiel

Parkdale
12-30-2010, 11:22 AM
ps. buffon

Parkdale
12-30-2010, 11:23 AM
haha.... roogsy - you just said it never happens, then examples were given of it happening often, so you change the criteria. Is it vacation time yet?

Roogsy
12-30-2010, 11:25 AM
haha.... roogsy - you just said it never happens, then examples were given of it happening often, so you change the criteria. Is it vacation time yet?

LOL! Really?

There are inherent problems with being the keeper AND the skipper which is why most teams don't do it.

Did I say all teams dont do it?

Vacation time is soon. I am sure many people will be happy. :D

Parkdale
12-30-2010, 11:28 AM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/YSDAXGXGiEw/0.jpg

I just said that 'most' teams don't do it, not 'all' teams.

hahahaha.... but what's the definition of 'IS' ??

Roogsy
12-30-2010, 11:32 AM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/YSDAXGXGiEw/0.jpg

I just said that 'most' teams don't do it, not 'all' teams.

hahahaha.... but what's the definition of 'IS' ??

I've been doing this a long time my friend. :lol:

Suds
12-30-2010, 11:37 AM
who else voted Nate Sturgis?

__wowza
12-30-2010, 12:26 PM
i voted nicholas lindsey just to be a shit.

The K-Man!
12-30-2010, 01:23 PM
http://www.proof66.com/Images/Captain%20Morgan.gif

ginkster88
12-30-2010, 01:25 PM
After looking at that list... what a shit team...

Whoop
12-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Cronin got instant respect from me... as if that is worth something... when he came out to face the cameras, along with Edwards, after we lost 5-0 in NY.

Jimmy B and crew were no where to be found but there was Cronin answering the call.

Bingo.

Cronin showed signs of a future captain in the making.

And I lost a lot of respect for the vets on the team when they DIDN'T come out to face the music after the 5-0 loss.

You're the face. You take the good and the bad.

Roogsy
12-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Bingo.

Cronin showed signs of a future captain in the making.

And I lost a lot of respect for the vets on the team when they DIDN'T come out to face the music after the 5-0 loss.

You're the face. You take the good and the bad.

Cronin was outspoken after the debacle in NY. Very impressive. Is that what makes a captain? Isn't that the opposite of Nana who somebody submitted was quiet to the media as the reason he should be captain? (Quiet to the media including the debacle in NY as well...)

Whoop
12-30-2010, 02:02 PM
It's not about being outspoken. It's about facing the music.

Captains can be quiet types in the face of the media, not say much. Stevie Y was notorious for that. But Stevie Y had the respect of the dressing room. If he said something guys listened. If he stared at you guys listened. Instant respect. Stevie Y was the first guy to make rookies and newcomers to the team feel welcome. But he didn't say much in front of the camera.

I figure Nana, much like Frei and Cronin for example, aren't captain material only because of lack of experience. They haven't been around the block so to speak and haven't been in every situation.

I still stand by what I said. Dichio, in reality, was/is the only true captain this team had. Robbo was just a classy guy.

trane
12-30-2010, 02:07 PM
^ agree Dichio was the true Captain.

Wull
12-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Cronin was outspoken after the debacle in NY. Very impressive. Is that what makes a captain? Isn't that the opposite of Nana who somebody submitted was quiet to the media as the reason he should be captain? (Quiet to the media including the debacle in NY as well...)

I never said quiet, I said chooses his words carefully. There's a big difference

Pookie
12-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Nana Attakora is a very approachable player. Very dedicated to his development and the team's.

I do think he is a little too young to be a Captain. There is a lot of learning that must go on a Captain needs the trust of fellow players as someone who works hard but who has also been through some of the same experiences they may be facing.

100% respect for Attakora though.

Brooker
12-30-2010, 07:23 PM
http://www.modelresource.ca/Scene/Dec05/adrian_cann.jpg

Super Cereal
12-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Adrian Cann.

Chevy
12-30-2010, 07:28 PM
http://www.modelresource.ca/Scene/Dec05/adrian_cann.jpg

caption: "I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."

Pachuco
12-30-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm going with Nana on this one. this is obviously going to be a rebuilding year, more then likely with lots of youngsters on the team. Nana in my mind has the qualities to be the future captain of TFC and also of the CMNT. So why not give him the shot a little early and let him learn on the job. Within a couple of years time I believe we'll have one of the best defenders and captains in the MLS.

Brooker
12-30-2010, 11:23 PM
caption: "I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."

lmao!

David_Oliveira
12-31-2010, 01:15 AM
Adrian Cann. He seems to control the D, is a respectable guy on the field, and overall it at least SEEMS that he cares for the badge

LesH
12-31-2010, 04:33 AM
This is easy!
Cann.

MKR
12-31-2010, 08:25 AM
Chad Barrett.

Last year he really stepped it up. Stepped up while many of his own fans were trashing him and putting him down. I'd argue he was just as important to the team as Derosario skill wise and production wise. Also given the fact that he is a hard worker and gives it his all he is my logical choice.

Only thing holding him back is that he is a bit overly emotional. Maybe the captaincy would improve that aspect of his game.

All in all i think he deserves it the most.

razor787
12-31-2010, 08:38 AM
The one game he started with captaincy, he really acted the part. If he can act the way he acted that game, sure. Problem is, it is more likely because it was new. Put that on him every game, and I think he will end up just as emotional.

And whoever picked Cwonway, Harden, Peterson and Kocic, please tell me you're kidding. No way our 2nd choice keeper should get it, let alone 3rd choice. And harden/peterson? Harden is too lazy and doesn't listen, and Peterson isn't good enough to break the starting 11 anywhere else.

ManUtd4ever
12-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Nana Attakora. He is the best defender, most consistent player, and longest serving member of TFC...

CretanBull
12-31-2010, 12:24 PM
It seems unlikely that TFC would pass over JDG (deserving or not).

trane
12-31-2010, 12:24 PM
Roogsy.

CretanBull
12-31-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't understand the love affair and wild exaggeration of Cann's abilities. He's a good defender. I realize that we've had so many shit defenders that it probably makes him look great, but he isn't great.

trane
12-31-2010, 12:36 PM
^ I think he is a solid CB in a league were solid is as good as it gets at the position. I think having two solid CB puts as ahead in that position. However, I agree Cann is not a great defender, and in fact I fear that Attakora will stagnate in this league.

Beach_Red
12-31-2010, 12:39 PM
I don't understand the love affair and wild exaggeration of Cann's abilities. He's a good defender. I realize that we've had so many shit defenders that it probably makes him look great, but he isn't great.

Remember those couple of games with Tebily? That seems so long ago.....

trane
12-31-2010, 12:40 PM
^ I have to think of him every time we talk about CB, he was clearly a cut or two above what you get at the position in this league. He was big, strong mobile and could pass and read the game. Basic shit for a professional CB, but not so common in this league.

Carts
12-31-2010, 12:44 PM
IMO, Cann is two young and 'green' to be a captain...

Not enough officials know him well enough, so on the field discussions with the ref can be seen as a "kid bitching and moaning"...

With the level of officiating in the MLS, you can manipulate many refs while on the pitch...

This is also why I don't want Frei to wear the armband...

You need a captain who is involved in the play constantly, so he can be constantly working the official, and working for calls, without bitching and moaning...

Tough for a keeper to work a ref when he's at one end of the pitch for the entire game...

carts...

jloome
12-31-2010, 12:46 PM
I'd vote for Chad Barrett. He's got the most heart, he speaks his mind. He maybe young, but he's tough and fierce. He's injured a lot, so perhaps that weighs against it, but he has the right characteristics.

jazzy
12-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Chad Barrett.

Last year he really stepped it up. Stepped up while many of his own fans were trashing him and putting him down. I'd argue he was just as important to the team as Derosario skill wise and production wise. Also given the fact that he is a hard worker and gives it his all he is my logical choice.

Only thing holding him back is that he is a bit overly emotional. Maybe the captaincy would improve that aspect of his game.

All in all i think he deserves it the most.

Barrett
^after all my criticizing of him,....in the past, I am won over, he is an ox, solid and dedicated....he's been here almost the longest and if he stays ? ..(don't know how at his price), he is class....He told me at year end that he wants to devote himself to obviosly getting better but helping out the youth on the team and being a role model....I didn't even ask him this question....after all the years, he has earned my true respect.......yes he is not a striker.......winger to me (off-topic)

trane
12-31-2010, 12:52 PM
^ I have to admit that at looking at the list, due to his age, older then Attakora and Younger then Cann, time and dedication to the club, I would not be against him being a captain. IF he is playing on a regular basis. [ as a winger]

Section 117
12-31-2010, 12:58 PM
How about none of the above, no one on that list deserves to be teh captain period. Leave it vacant until either we bring in a player that derserves it or some player steps up

LesH
12-31-2010, 02:16 PM
IMO, Cann is two young and 'green' to be a captain...

You're joking, right?

Glenchen29
01-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Cann is the man!!!

I always think a team should vote on this! I wonder how the team would vote?

106-12
01-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Julian De Gusman i think should be the captain, he has to show that he is a leader on this team and he is worth the money and i really think once he is in charge and DERO is gone he will be the one to lead us .< my openion >

razor787
01-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Julian De Gusman i think should be the captain, he has to show that he is a leader on this team and he is worth the money and i really think once he is in charge and DERO is gone he will be the one to lead us .< my openion >

Giving Julian the armband may snap him into form, but I doubt it. And DeRo leaving isn't going to help him get to form. DeRo was the only player he could pass too constantly.

zeelaw
01-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Cann yells at me, gotta be him.

nfitz
01-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Not sure why we wouldn't just keep DeRo. No one else seems to have shown as much initiative to continue training during the Christmas break.

I'm back in the country after a vacation ... much happen while I was gone?

ensco
01-01-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm surprised to see 100+ posts with no one suggesting that TFC rotate the armband.

This isn't totally uncommon. Spurs have done it all year. I bet a quick search would come up with a bunch of examples.

Nuvinho
01-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Can people please vote for Harden, LaBrocca, and Gomez. I voted for Kocic. I hate to see players with zero votes. I will vote more seriously when we start getting players in who are captain worthy.

Suds
01-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Can people please vote for Harden, LaBrocca, and Gomez. I voted for Kocic. I hate to see players with zero votes. I will vote more seriously when we start getting players in who are captain worthy.

I've already voted ... we need someone to step up and get Gomez & Harden's back! :D

prizby
01-08-2011, 10:05 PM
I am pretty tired of hearing about Frei as captain. Is he a great keeper? Yes! But again, I thought that there needed to be more than "great play"?

Not to mention, other than Casillas in Madrid, who here can thank of a "great" captain for any other team that is a keeper? There are inherent problems with being the keeper AND the skipper which is why most teams don't do it. But in our rush to find the idyllic captain, we throw up Frei. Seems we're no better at selecting a captain than TFC is.

Claudio Bravo for Chile
Oliver Khan for Germany
Peter Schmeichel for Man United (when they won 1999 Champions League)
Buffon for Italy

thats just off the top of my head

jvanpeebles
01-09-2011, 11:03 AM
If you go by the newest info being released DeRo's trial with Celtic was only an issue because of possible insurance issues. All that aside if you are asking for peoples opinions on who they think should be the captain it would only seem reasonable to keep Dero's name on the list. Some people regradless of what has happened or not happened may still think he should be the captain. This thread actually does not allow for it so it seems to reflect that 100% of people do not think he is worthy of being captain. Just a though.

jloome
01-10-2011, 05:05 PM
If you go by the newest info being released DeRo's trial with Celtic was only an issue because of possible insurance issues. All that aside if you are asking for peoples opinions on who they think should be the captain it would only seem reasonable to keep Dero's name on the list. Some people regradless of what has happened or not happened may still think he should be the captain. This thread actually does not allow for it so it seems to reflect that 100% of people do not think he is worthy of being captain. Just a though.

We all promise not to so assume.

Problem solved.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Claudio Bravo for Chile
Oliver Khan for Germany
Peter Schmeichel for Man United (when they won 1999 Champions League)
Buffon for Italy

thats just off the top of my head

Chilavert for Paraguay

Red CB Toronto
01-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Why shall DeRo not be captain, athletes can do whatever they want that they deem to be in their best interest as long as no rules laws or rules were broken. Dwayne is a star in this league and should be treated like one, the check signing thing last year was all about how MLSE was not treating him, like a star.

Pookie
01-12-2011, 01:40 PM
^ Captains should be leaders and have the respect of the players.

He doesn't qualify.

Fort York Redcoat
01-13-2011, 08:26 AM
DeRo is at best an integral part of this team on the pitch when he's scoring. At worst he's not scoring. I agree that past his on field contribution he's a negative on this club.

He led by example on the pitch. We were not successful enough.

DeRo has proven rewarding him with captaincy does not help his game or the team. Next.

aboveandbeyond
01-13-2011, 11:07 AM
if itt is not dero which i hope it is .. Then jdg time .. he could use it ..and is a good canadian

Fort York Redcoat
01-13-2011, 12:16 PM
if itt is not dero which i hope it is .. Then jdg time .. he could use it ..and is a good canadian

Not the craziest idea. JDG seems too quiet and has been accused of low workmanship which isn't a magnificent example but the fact that he's our highest paid player in a position begging for a leadership role, I like to think it could improve JDG's attitude and output.

And it would piss DeRo off to no end.

jimiv
01-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Why shall DeRo not be captain, athletes can do whatever they want that they deem to be in their best interest as long as no rules laws or rules were broken. Dwayne is a star in this league and should be treated like one, the check signing thing last year was all about how MLSE was not treating him, like a star.

As a captain you don't bring your personal arguments with the team to the field. If he pulled that "cheque signing" thing on the field, and blasted management every chance he got in the media can just imagine the "positive" talk he brought to the locker room.

Just sayin'...

hrvat87
01-13-2011, 10:03 PM
DeRo.....whoooops hes in scotland,and wont be coming back,i'd give the Armband to Cann(since he is a garbage Cann)or DeGuzman,because hes the best player in the mls and of all canadian players..ahahha

J .
01-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Id pick a random fan out of the stands

nfitz
01-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Well it's official, according to Winter, De Rosario is captain (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/winter-reiterates-tfc-position).

Not sure why the obivous choice wasn't an option on the poll.

Fort York Redcoat
01-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Well it's official, according to Winter, De Rosario is captain (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/winter-reiterates-tfc-position).

Not sure why the obivous choice wasn't an option on the poll.

Then it wouldn't be the new captain. It would be the same captain so it's not a choice. And obvious? Last year maybe.

Oldtimer
01-14-2011, 11:11 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/toronto-say-no-de-rosarios-celtic-loan

“My preference is for Dwayne to start the season with Toronto FC right from training camp. We are making a fresh start and need a strong competitive camp. Dwayne is the captain and leader and needs to be part of building a new winning culture."

The purpose of this thread is now no longer applicable, so I'm closing this thread.