PDA

View Full Version : Anelka considering US move in 2012

Juanito
12-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka could move to the United States when his current contract expires in 18 months, according to his agent.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/856538?cc=5901

Juanito
12-29-2010, 01:53 AM
Now THAT is worthy of a DP. I doubt TFC would be his preferred destination, but we should be talking to his agent on the possibility.

prizby
12-29-2010, 02:04 AM
L'impact?

DangerRed
12-29-2010, 02:31 AM
Dude, if we sign Anelka, I will promise to renew my season tickets for the next three years. But you know what? I'm willing to guarantee we won't. It's just the way we do things.

jloome
12-29-2010, 02:37 AM
He'll go to Montreal in 2012 or one of the bigger U.S. cities. Parisians and Europeans in general still have a highly romantic view of Montreal from the 60s and 70s heydays.

Menelaos
12-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Why Montreal? Why not the Red Bulls?

Assuming they keep Marquez (despite the America rumors that they will get him) and Henry, why wouldn't Anlka join his friend?

While I understand the possible French connection with Montreal, I would think the connection with Henry would be greater, and could you come with with better forwards in this league?

Sure, Anelka would would look nice in Red, but given the chance to play in New York, beside Henry, with Marquez controlling the mid, sure would look tempting. Oh yeah, and I have a feeling the endorcements (if any) would be better there than here.

Fort York Redcoat
12-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Yep. When these guys say they want to go to America they mean America. NY or LA is America to them. Montreal is french but is it french enough to overtake a NY or LA for bi city draw? These guys aren't coming here to be worshiped. They've already had that.

Detroit_TFC
12-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Why Montreal? Why not the Red Bulls?

Assuming they keep Marquez (despite the America rumors that they will get him) and Henry, why wouldn't Anlka join his friend?

While I understand the possible French connection with Montreal, I would think the connection with Henry would be greater, and could you come with with better forwards in this league?

Sure, Anelka would would look nice in Red, but given the chance to play in New York, beside Henry, with Marquez controlling the mid, sure would look tempting. Oh yeah, and I have a feeling the endorcements (if any) would be better there than here.

It's got to be the Henry connection. I would agree RB, not many others who could support the salary Anelka would get (could Joey S afford that, on top of everything else?). Let's see if RBNY keep that 3rd DP slot vacant this coming season, that might be a clue.