PDA

View Full Version : Julian De Guzman appreciation Thread

aboveandbeyond
12-25-2010, 09:08 PM
This thread is not meant to be negative in anyway..

This a man who represents his country with pride and joy ,..
was smart enough to get a great contract with ml$e .

The man has great skills and is human .
first canadian to play in laliga

This year is for positivity .
this is a man worth getting behind..

toronto guy to boot .

razor787
12-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Is there any real point for this? Yea he is a good guy, but do we need a thread dedicated to him?

prizby
12-25-2010, 09:28 PM
im feeling a jeff cuntingham appreciation thread next

Waggy
12-25-2010, 09:29 PM
EDIT- Sorry Roogs. Sarcasm gone

Roogsy
12-25-2010, 09:30 PM
As is the policy with all appreciation threads, please take negative or sarcastic comments to other threads and leave this thread for posters who think similarly to the OP.

Stryker
12-25-2010, 09:33 PM
As is the policy with all appreciation threads, please take negative or sarcastic comments to other threads and leave this thread for posters who think similarly to the OP.
This will be a short lived thread. :p

Auzzy
12-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Best hair by far.

TFC1154ever
12-26-2010, 12:21 AM
Did show bits of brilliants... The Cruz Azul and Seattle game at home (in the rain). He showed he can dominate the pitch. Now if he could show that at least 3 to 4 out of 5 games, then we would have a huge asset. I really hope this guy pulls threw, cause when he's on, he my favorite player on the pitch.

DOMIN8R
12-26-2010, 08:11 AM
He has shown that he can play with the best of them. I hope this is the year that his flashes become common place. I'm behind JDG 100%. New year. New attitude.

aboveandbeyond
12-26-2010, 08:58 AM
He has shown that he can play with the best of them. I hope this is the year that his flashes become common place. I'm behind JDG 100%. New year. New attitude.

Love to hear ..

the players read these boards make no mistake .. It;s time to get behind guys ..especially hometown guys who could use the support .

cheers

Milky
12-26-2010, 09:02 AM
I know this is like beating a dead horse, but he would be much more effective for us if he played AM. I don't understand why he doesn't.

bigtfcfan
12-26-2010, 09:37 AM
JDG is my fav TFC player. His role is highly under appreciated. A few games without him and people will be begging to have him back.

Damien
12-26-2010, 10:24 AM
If every cloud has a silver lining, it's that JDG showed up late in 2009 and didn't gel in the little time he had... and 2010 was under Preki's brutal regime. Hopefully with a new coach and maybe a more open style of play we'll see JDG's flair come out.

ManUtd4ever
12-26-2010, 10:52 AM
If every cloud has a silver lining, it's that JDG showed up late in 2009 and didn't gel in the little time he had... and 2010 was under Preki's brutal regime. Hopefully with a new coach and maybe a more open style of play we'll see JDG's flair come out.

My thoughts as well. JDG demonstrated on a few occasions last season that he is still capable of dominating the midfield...

sweetlemon69
12-26-2010, 11:34 AM
I appreciate this thread. He's ripped on to much by people who don't understand the sport.

Pookie
12-26-2010, 02:25 PM
^ and he's defended too much by people who don't understand that he might not be the best use of the limited Designated Player slots (3) that are available to teams in the MLS.

SamK
12-26-2010, 02:27 PM
In my opinion best player on the team by far.

LesH
12-26-2010, 02:54 PM
^ and he's defended too much by people who don't understand that he might not be the best use of the limited Designated Player slots (3) that are available to teams in the MLS.

+1

He's a good player, maybe the best TFC ever had.
But it's a waste of a DP spot in the 1.5 years he's been with TFC.

aboveandbeyond
12-26-2010, 02:57 PM

well we have two more slots .. if we fill them wisely , we may be smart in having one in the jdg rle of D mid

prizby
12-26-2010, 02:58 PM
I know this is like beating a dead horse, but he would be much more effective for us if he played AM. I don't understand why he doesn't.

have you seen him take a long distance shot; not pretty.

I rather he play DM and you tell him something like, look, your job is to make sure when we play FC Dallas that David Ferraira doesn't touch the ball...when we play the Galaxy, Landycakes doesn't get the ball...when we play RSL, Morales doesn't get the ball...etc

aboveandbeyond
12-26-2010, 03:05 PM
have you seen him take a long distance shot; not pretty.

I rather he play DM and you tell him something like, look, your job is to make sure when we play FC Dallas that David Ferraira doesn't touch the ball...when we play the Galaxy, Landycakes doesn't get the ball...when we play RSL, Morales doesn't get the ball...etc

now there is a man with a mind for winning..
good f"n idea

Oldtimer
12-26-2010, 04:05 PM
well we have two more slots .. if we fill them wisely , we may be smart in having one in the jdg rle of D mid

exactly.

He's way more talented than many people on this board would believe.

He'd be stronger in a less physical league than MLS (he did very well against those Mexican sides). However, a good coach could still use him in MLS with the right formation/strategy and he'd be effective at a 2007 Robbo level, which is still quite good (although way below his ability in some other leagues). As long as we used another DP slot for a striker, we wouldn't lose by having a DM DP.

TFC/Everton
12-26-2010, 04:21 PM
This ship is sinking. We are a city of losers, born to lose, will always lose.

Carts
12-26-2010, 04:28 PM
This ship is sinking. We are a city of losers, born to lose, will always lose.

Being a Toronto sports fan really does feel like this...

The Leafs are a mess...
The Raptors can't attract talent or keep them...
The Jays are simply outmatched by the Yanks & Sox...

It is getting simply pathetic out there isn't it...

Our only legit shot at a Championship is in the 'B' level spots (Argos, Rock, TFC [and even TFC is a mess])...

Chevy
12-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Who let all the Debbie Downers in?

Carts
12-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Who let all the Debbie Downers in?

Over 40-years without a Stanley Cup - it unfortunately rubs off on all other teams in a way...

The good thing about footie, you can turn things around in one off-season (unlike other sports where rebuilding can take years).

That's the hope we have...

Carts...

Chevy
12-26-2010, 04:41 PM
That's a touch better....at least you mentioned "hope"

aboveandbeyond
12-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Over 40-years without a Stanley Cup - it unfortunately rubs off on all other teams in a way...

The good thing about footie, you can turn things around in one off-season (unlike other sports where rebuilding can take years).

That's the hope we have...

Carts...

agreed that the owners of TFC could in fact go down in history as one of the bigge$t sports franchises in history and the greatest losers of alltime ..

losing is contagious , that's why I say let support guys like DeGuzzy and Dero .. it may end up making a difference:scarf:

Pookie
12-27-2010, 07:55 AM
exactly.

He's way more talented than many people on this board would believe.

He'd be stronger in a less physical league than MLS (he did very well against those Mexican sides). However, a good coach could still use him in MLS with the right formation/strategy and he'd be effective at a 2007 Robbo level, which is still quite good (although way below his ability in some other leagues). As long as we used another DP slot for a striker, we wouldn't lose by having a DM DP.

So, in one sentence you suggest that he'd be effective at a 2007 Robbo level and then in another suggest that is a good use of the DP slot?

We need to aim higher than a 2007 Robbo level for the DP.

The other challenging thing that adds to the debate is that DeRo wants more money. He is just shy of the league max for non-DPs. To get the raise he wants, he would then get a DP tag.

So, our 2 DPs going into next year could conceivably be DeRo and JDG. The 2 wonder kids that have led us nowhere over 2 seasons. The supreme core of leadership and selfless play. Players willing to step up and answer the tough questions and inspire their teammates to greatness.

Again, we need to aim higher.

Mikey
12-27-2010, 08:41 AM

I think the difference in opinions comes from those who have followed his career and what has has done previously, and those who have just seen his contiributions to TFC.
I really hope you're right and that it's a factor of not being able to adapt to the Mo/Preki circus, and that for the 2011 season he earns his money.

Kyle_121
12-27-2010, 11:07 AM
I agree with the OP. We should get behind him and give him the boot.

Milky
12-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Even if he shoots wide from a distance from time to time, he'd still be more useful as an AM. He's got good ball skills and can be a tricky player. DM's are a dime-a-dozen and in the MLS you don't even have to be a particularly good DM to be effective. Guzi has played well when put into a more offensive role for Canada and I also hope that the new head coach will take a more positive approach to playing football.

Azerban
12-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Even if he shoots wide from a distance from time to time

grass sometimes green

sky sometimes blue

man may have walked on moon

Batman
12-28-2010, 11:58 AM
hmmmm something positive heh?

OK, I got it.

JDG is the best cheque casher in TFC history.

Carts
12-28-2010, 12:05 PM

That sounds about right...

No not "about right", its 100% spot on...

Carts...

TFC1154ever
12-28-2010, 01:52 PM
He cashes his checks at my bank! :D

sampace
12-28-2010, 02:02 PM
With DeRosario gone maybe they can convert him to forward, at least he is not out trying to catch on with another team as far as Cochrane knows...abandoning a sinking ship!

Carts
12-28-2010, 02:29 PM
With DeRosario gone maybe they can convert him to forward, at least he is not out trying to catch on with another team as far as Cochrane knows...abandoning a sinking ship!

Please God NO, not a forward...

Have you seen him take a shot on goal from 18-yards out...? A couple of his attempts on goal went for throw-ins, not even goal kicks...

If he is to be on our roster, we need to play him, and play around him to his supposed strength of a defensive midfielder...

Personally, I would rather we cut him, but if not, we should work with his experience rather than try and turn him into something he's not..

Carts...

MartinUtd
12-28-2010, 03:07 PM
hmmmm something positive heh?

OK, I got it.

$ amounts aside, I still think that was Carlos Ruiz.

Juanito
12-29-2010, 01:28 AM
Ok boys, joking aside, De Guzmán is a talented footballer.

In my opinion, we have not seen the best out of him, not by a country mile. I watch the Spanish league in pretty regular fashion and I used to watch Deportivo La Coruńa when I could, so I have seen him play. He wasn't AMAZING but he was a decent player on a pretty successful squad.

I thought that he would become the playmaker we desperately needed, but it hasn't been the case. I'm not sure if we should blame the coaches for not getting the most out of him or the GM for not putting the proper players around him for him to play with, but you can't say he is not talented.

The better question is whether TFC will get the most out of him? I'm not sure, I would bet no because we have not shown that kind of planning. I hope that if we were to play with more width and he were on the bottom of a diamond 4-4-2, we would see the best out of him.

Then again "If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas!"

los sonadores
12-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Re: El Juan - He was amazing enough to have been Deportivo's player of the season not too long ago. And he's still in his 20's.

The league doesn't suit him well, but if he's here for the length of his contract then that is something Kinsmann has to sort out (if Kinsmann has any real involvement with the team.) We've not had a clear tactical direction for anything but short bits of time.

Carts
12-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Ok boys, joking aside, De Guzmán is a talented footballer.

post deleted...

end...

Roogsy
12-30-2010, 11:14 PM
This IS a JDG appreciation thread though Carts. It's better that we leave the JDG criticisms for the many threads that make it available. Come on bro.

Carts
12-30-2010, 11:21 PM
This IS a JDG appreciation thread though Carts. It's better that we leave the JDG criticisms for the many threads that make it available. Come on bro.

In that case, I will start a MO JOHNSTON APPRECIATION THREAD...

Carts...

Juanito
12-31-2010, 12:00 AM
post deleted...

end...

LOL!!!

brad
12-31-2010, 12:19 AM
In that case, I will start a MO JOHNSTON APPRECIATION THREAD...

Carts...

That would probably get you a lifetime ban :-)

I think JDG is good, serviceable but unspectacular player that most people over rate because he is Canadian. I think he could still do a job for a mid to lower table La Liga team, but he is not suited for this league. He doesn't get as much time on the ball here, and his team mates don't understand the concept of off the ball movement so he never has anybody to pass to. The intelligence of play is not at the level that a tactical DM is needed, or even helpful.

He filled the role in La Liga due to being able to read the game very well and shut of the supply and passing lanes in the final third. That's how he took guys like Zidane out of the game. MLS does not have that level of tactics and as such JDG had lost his biggest asset. What you need in this league is a physically strong ball winner like Sharlie Joseph.

JDG is the wrong type of player for this league.

Lots of people seemed to think (and apparently some still do) that because he was a good player in one position in a far superior league that he would be able to slot into a different role in an inferior league. That's just not how the game works.

ochos
12-31-2010, 12:33 AM
JDG is a wonderful talent that we've yet to see in this league. He's played like shit and is out of chances with the fans/the team, so if he gets another one it is his last. Anyone doubting his skill is a lunatic. It's appropriate to call him out on his weaknesses (ineffective DM in a physical league like MLS), but if you think he's a shit player you're out of your mind

Stryker
12-31-2010, 12:34 AM
I'd appreciate if he got himself a trial with Celtic.

:crazy:

los sonadores
01-03-2011, 10:33 PM
if he is the coach (and he probably should be). The style anyway; I know he is relatively inexperienced. But the possibility of actual ball movement... through the middle (ie. De Guzmán). We need a few more (several, probably) players that can actually play with skill (even skill by MLS standards). Let's hope this puts an end, in a season or two, to all the crap football we've played.

Big Bruva
01-03-2011, 11:03 PM

Your being serious Sam?

Not sure why people seem to think Julian would make a huge difference if he played AM, that is not where he plays and is most affective as a DM/CM. If Julian played AM he would not have been playing in La Liga so you put him in the position that he is best.

Razcle
01-03-2011, 11:07 PM
I don't think anyone has stated that he only counts for $335,000 towards the $2,550,000 cap, which works out to be something like 13% of our cap space. He is a fantastic footballer and I hope that TFC can put players the system and players in place to allow everyone to see why he is worth the cap hit.

If not. Ship him back to Europe for the benefit of the Canadian National Team.

DOMIN8R
01-04-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm not a JDG fan. My wife on the other hand.....:facepalm:

I believe that he has been miscast in MLS.

I'm more than a little dissapointed that this thread has turned sour. Seasoned RPBs should show restraint rather than to pile on a TFC player in an appreciation thread.

Anyhoo - Julian may work well in a total football style of play, if AW brings that strategy to TFC. JDG has great spatial awareness and often anticipated teammates movement incorrectly - mostly because our players either lacked spatial awareness (i.e. closing channels, creating lanes, finding space & looking for space) or foresight/anticipating teammate movement.

Remember his comment last year when he said that "everything seems hectic/erratic" (paraphrase) in an interview? This implies to me that there is an element of unpredictability that he found difficult to adapt to.

Hopefully our new style of play will address this in a way that will magnify his contributions to the team.

Juanito
01-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Re: El Juan - He was amazing enough to have been Deportivo's player of the season not too long ago. And he's still in his 20's.

The league doesn't suit him well, but if he's here for the length of his contract then that is something Kinsmann has to sort out (if Kinsmann has any real involvement with the team.) We've not had a clear tactical direction for anything but short bits of time.

I thought I had said it on this thread, but I guess not, but De Guzmán's main problem is that he may be too smart for this league. Football-wise, he has a more evolved view of the game, definitely more than the other players and probably more than the coaches he had.

I guess you can blame him for not being able to adapt, but personally, I blame coaching more than anything.

If we bring in a coach that can set up a consistent system, then I think you will see the best out of him.

Oldtimer
01-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Anyhoo - Julian may work well in a total football style of play, if AW brings that strategy to TFC. JDG has great spatial awareness and often anticipated teammates movement incorrectly - mostly because our players either lacked spatial awareness (i.e. closing channels, creating lanes, finding space & looking for space) or foresight/anticipating teammate movement.

The DM is key in Total Football. For "kick and run" play, or anti-football, putting a DP in that position is a total waste and an idiotic move. For Total Football, a strong DM can shine, especially one with box-to-box skills like Julian has.

JDG is a fantastic player for a style that uses his strengths (like Depor plays). His talents are wasted in the styles that Toronto has used until now. He'll always have difficulty with the physicality of MLS, but paired with a solid Dutch midfielder, he could be quite a strong player for TFC if TFC plays the correct style.

If one based one's opinions on last year's play, one would say "dump Julian." If one looks at the future, the opposite opinion might form. No thanks to Mo, he could turn into a good signing. Here's hoping!

maninb
01-05-2011, 08:16 AM
If DeGuzman can't thrive under Winter (who himself was a GREAT DM), then there's little hope for him and he should be shipped out...we'll see by June...

Oldtimer
01-05-2011, 08:22 AM
If DeGuzman can't thrive under Winter (who himself was a GREAT DM), then there's little hope for him and he should be shipped out...we'll see by June...

Good point.

ManUtd4ever
01-05-2011, 08:52 AM

I'm more than a little dissapointed that this thread has turned sour. Seasoned RPBs should show restraint rather than to pile on a TFC player in an appreciation thread.

Remember his comment last year when he said that "everything seems hectic/erratic" (paraphrase) in an interview? This implies to me that there is an element of unpredictability that he found difficult to adapt to.

Hopefully our new style of play will address this in a way that will magnify his contributions to the team.

Agreed. I'll go out on a limb and predict that JDG will have a far greater impact on the club this season under Aron Winter's tutelage...

P-NUTZ
01-05-2011, 10:10 AM
JDG has great potential in this league and for this team.

I am excited about that prospect.

ag futbol
01-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Good point.
Well if he does poorly i'd say we are stuck with him anyways, unless we decide to buy-out the remainder of his contract.

Roogsy
01-05-2011, 05:15 PM

I would agree that the new management team in place is about as good as it will get for JDG and more than he could have asked. Lord knows he was completely out of his element in Preki's anti-football. If Winter brings in a European flare to this team, JDG could indeed find his place.

jloome
01-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Your being serious Sam?

Not sure why people seem to think Julian would make a huge difference if he played AM, that is not where he plays and is most affective as a DM/CM. If Julian played AM he would not have been playing in La Liga so you put him in the position that he is best.

True. He started on the wing and was moved back at the beginning of his career because he was ineffective.

Julian's probably our best reader of the field and our most technically gifted player. His work rate has been shit about two-thirds of the time, and he sometimes overcompensates in the second half, making mistakes he wouldn't otherwise have made.

Work ethic's a tough thing. It can be a permanent character issue with some guys.

Pookie
01-05-2011, 06:32 PM
If Winter brings in a European flare to this team, JDG could indeed find his place.

Assuming he actually sees a place for himself in MLS.

Preki didn't make him miss curfew.

TFC didn't state "Toronto did come up with a very lucrative offer, but I haven't made a decision yet. Me, personally, I want to stay true to myself and I'm still leaning to Europe, preferably Spain."

Most of De Guzman's issues are a function of De Guzman and no one else.

Yohan
11-22-2011, 12:31 PM
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?2452-Q-A-with-Haedan-Turner

One of the biggest things that helped me when I was in France – and if I ever get the chance to thank him, I will – I sent an email to Julian de Guzman. I was lonely, and I thought, because he went to France when he was quite young as well, maybe he knows what you have to do. I sent him an email, didn’t really expect a response.

About a week later, he emailed me back. I still have that email now, I’ve got it printed out. It was a page long. He actually put effort into it. I was really touched. He just explained to me how football, it’s a lonely sport, and obviously they’re not going to accept you for being foreign.

He really helped me understand that you’ve got your own dreams and everybody else has dreams too, but you have to follow your own dreams. If I ever get the chance to meet Mr. de Guzman, I will thank him wholeheartedly.

class act

nxtmike
11-22-2011, 10:02 PM
....speaking of JDG,

Jonathan De Guzman scored today for Villarreal against Bayern today in some Champions League action.

Step 1: Sign him
Step 2: Get him to play for CMNT and ditch the Netherlands.

ag futbol
11-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Most of De Guzman's issues are a function of De Guzman and no one else.
Or his health potentially.

I don't know about you guys but he's never looked as fit as he did in gold cup 2007, and before near the end of this year he always looked like something was holding him back. I don't know if that was disinterest or injuries though...

DichioTFC
11-22-2011, 11:24 PM
We're a better team with JDG. Fact.

TFCREDNWHITE
11-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Thank You Julian for being a stand up Canadian. much love brother!

J .
11-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Expectations were massively high on a guy who is a DM and never had any wingers to pass laterally to. I never wanted him to come in as a DP at this point in his career as I never thought he would live up to expectations, sadly that was correct.

Very nice guy, one of the best Canadian midfielders ever and its a shame poor career moves stalled his progress. At one point he was one of the best midfielders in Spain and still could have a good career overseas.

Walms
11-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Great roll model for young Canadians. I'm a huge fan an I can't wait to watch him play this upcoming season Ina reds shirt

Keegan
11-25-2011, 04:40 PM
He is still a great player but it's clear to see from his national team performances over the years that he isn't the player he used to be... his injuries have really hurt his shooting ability imo.