PDA

View Full Version : Why we need Huckerby - from the mouths...

jloome
06-29-2008, 02:25 AM
...of the fans at the team he's leaving. They're gutted he's going.

I know there are a few skeptical folks about, but he's coming for a visit next week, according to his local paper, and we need him badly. He's a true team leader and a great goal scorer.

Here are the comments from Norwich fans when they found out he wasn't being offered a new deal at Norwich. The common thread is that they think he was the best player in the history of the club, and a workaholic to boot.

There is one ominous reference about his bad hip getting better, and maybe thisis what Norwich wouldn't gamble on. But if not, I'm telling you folks he's absolutely the player we need:

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/sport/2008/Huckerby.aspx

noochie
06-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Isn't the rumor that he will be in town this week for the game on Tuesday. Bring our A-Game and show some Hucks love and he may never get on the plane to SJ :)

Roogsy
06-29-2008, 12:49 PM
After the display I saw last night...I am willing to gamble on Huckerby. Or anyone else who has proven to have killer instinct.

rocker
06-29-2008, 01:04 PM
how about Huckerby prorated at a half season contract non-DP (165K of a full season 330K deal) and then sign a DP striker for 200K against the cap for a half season? Then have a strike force of Huckerby and DP, with Huckerby able to play in midfield when needed, and Dichio as the backup striker and Cunny gone.

noochie
06-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Our offer would have to be compelling if we wanted him considering that SJ will probably offer more knowing that oodles of allocation money is on the way. We have to convince him to play here for the appeal of a great fan base with money being more secondary. I think it is gong to take a great sell job to land him here.

jloome
06-29-2008, 01:16 PM
We might have an advantage having two former Norwich players in our starting lineup; surely Jimmy B will be selling it like it's white bread at supper time.

rocker
06-29-2008, 01:20 PM
would SJ offer him the DP spot?

if not, there's really no advantage moneywise between the teams. TFC certainly has 165K in space... and if not, just trade cunny! ;)

everything is prorated for this season at least.....

oxygenatedbrain
06-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Who do you see taking Cunningham's contract...seriously?

June 30 is the date to open up that cap space...

noochie
06-29-2008, 01:36 PM
would SJ offer him the DP spot?

if not, there's really no advantage moneywise between the teams. TFC certainly has 165K in space... and if not, just trade cunny! ;)

everything is prorated for this season at least.....

I was agreeing with you... but yes, I could see SJ offering him DP for a 2 year deal and then we have no chance. Their situation up front is shockingly more dire than ours.

Marc"2L"
06-29-2008, 02:15 PM

June 30 is the date to open up that cap space...

USL?

rocker
06-29-2008, 02:44 PM

you can trade anybody in MLS for anything. Even if it's a draft pick.
You don't think somebody would take Cunny for a second round draft pick?
It's not like we have to get anything good in return, like a normal trade.

And if somebody takes cunny now, they get him at half price. $120K. heck, mo could even through in a portion of an allocation.

i also don't think other teams are watching cunny as closely as we are. we hate the guy, but that's the homefield bias. guys like Buddle, eskandarian, and cunny can always find a place based on rep alone.

Captain Croatia
06-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Can we just sign a DP(say Huckerby) for the rest of the season, and if he doesn't live up to expectations, let him go and find another DP right away?

TFC07
06-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Wow, you really love this guy, don't you?

Smenge
06-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Buddle is scoring goals by the bucket. Huckerby is not the solution. TFC needs pace and guile, and youth. Otherwise, we will have to settle with a team that has trouble making the playoffs.

Bars92
06-29-2008, 05:54 PM
I think this team just needs a bonifide striker to make a run for the cup.

Cashcleaner
06-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Call me cautious, but I don't think we need a 32 year-old forward with a dodgy hip as our DP.

Bars92
06-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Yeah, well obvioulsy Amoebi would be better. Anyone but Cunningham.

ExiledRed
06-29-2008, 07:11 PM
We might have an advantage having two former Norwich players in our starting lineup; surely Jimmy B will be selling it like it's white bread at supper time.

Actually, Carl Robinson played for Norwich too.

Norwich is a great team and all, and I'd love huckerby in the squad BUT....

DP's don't come from second or third tier teams, I thought that was a given.

Cashcleaner
06-29-2008, 07:21 PM
^ Some seem to think otherwise. I think you and I were actually talking about this a while back and we agreed that the best option would be a much younger forward or mid who would be able to stay with the team and continue to develop.

noochie
06-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Buddle is scoring goals by the bucket. Huckerby is not the solution. TFC needs pace and guile, and youth. Otherwise, we will have to settle with a team that has trouble making the playoffs.

They need a quick fix... then they need what you are talking about.

Corpand
06-29-2008, 07:40 PM
I agree with Smenge, we do need abit of youth up front to shake things up abit. Granted Im not talking about 18 year olds but in their mid to late 20's. Then again, isnt that what everyone looks for? :S

ExiledRed
06-29-2008, 07:56 PM
I agree with Smenge, we do need abit of youth up front to shake things up abit. Granted Im not talking about 18 year olds but in their mid to late 20's. Then again, isnt that what everyone looks for? :S

We have a 17 year old striker named Abdus Ibrahim. I am of the opinion that he should start over Cunny, or at least sit on the bench.

a) because he cant be any worse.
b) He needs the experience right now, if he's any good, or he'll risk being mediocre later.
c) because he cant be any worse.

Derko
06-30-2008, 06:17 AM
I think that there are conditions with Ibrahim playing more than 6 games or something like that, TFC would have to pay special fees, maybe I am wrong, does anyone remember the conditions on his signing?

Shaughno
06-30-2008, 06:51 AM
We have a 17 year old striker named Abdus Ibrahim. I am of the opinion that he should start over Cunny, or at least sit on the bench.

a) because he cant be any worse.
b) He needs the experience right now, if he's any good, or he'll risk being mediocre later.
c) because he cant be any worse.

I would like to see what that kid has, but now is not the time IMO. Let him work up to it.

I think Huckerby could be a decent signing if we were to go through with it.

Why?

We need a proven goal scorer. Huckerby has been a fairly consistant scorer over the years.

We need energy up front. While Huck's isn't the youngest or paciest striker available, he'll hustle and give it his all. I still believe he has what it takes to trouble most MLS defenders.

We need a leader up front. Diciho, I love the guy... but he doesn't exactly spur the team on unless he scores a goal. Huckerby, going on from what I've seen him in the past, will get our players motivated.

We need a short term and long term solution at striker. If we can get this guy for Cunny money (ha funny) then we're only looking at a prorated salary of about $130k for the rest of the season. Huckerby doesn't have to be our long term solution, but I'm fairly confidant he can be our short term one.

Injury is my biggest concern. Though from the most recent video's of his play, it doesn't look like it affected him much in his last season.

Basically, I can't find a better reason at this point in time not to sign Huckerby.

ExiledRed
06-30-2008, 08:51 AM
^^In the absence of Huckerby or any other signing, I would start the kid over Cunny.

Shit, I would start Lombardo at this point.

Pigfynn
06-30-2008, 09:42 AM
^^Steady on!

jloome
06-30-2008, 01:47 PM
We need a goal scorer. Period. Huckerby has premier league skills but chose to stay with Norwich when they went down and became a legend at that club as a result; in fact, the reason he's even looking at coming here is because he vowed to never play for another English club other than Norwich again.

The only question is injuries. He's 32, not 36. We could quite conceivably get four years of goal scoring out of him before he retires, by which point Ibrahim will be 21 and, hopefully, formidable.

jimiv
06-30-2008, 02:07 PM

I think we should let Chicago have McBride if they take Cunningham as well.

GuelphStorm2007
06-30-2008, 04:51 PM
I do not know much about Huckerby injuries, I would personally rather TFC sign Amoebi, just because he is a little younger.

ExiledRed
06-30-2008, 04:54 PM
I think we should let Chicago have McBride if they take Cunningham as well.

I think we'd need to give them more than McBride, to convince them to take Cunny.