PDA

View Full Version : City of Baltimore Soccer Specific Stadium Study

Tim
12-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Some may find this report and its findings interesting. The stadium on page one looks oddly familiar:canada:

http://www.dcunited.com/sites/default/files/pdf/baltimore-soccer-stadium-study.pdf

ginkster88
12-23-2010, 09:35 AM
That's BMO with wraparound stands. That would be nice.

Alixir
12-23-2010, 09:45 AM
actually that is the exact same artist rendition of BMO froom when our stadium was being built...thats funny. exact.

Canada72
12-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Just looking at page 17 about team jersey sponsorship deals, I didn't realize 5 teams don't have sponsorship deals. I guess it's hard to get a company to pay $500,000 for a sponsorship in some cities. It would be nice to see a charity use the jersey space like Barcelona does with unicef.

Redcoe15
12-23-2010, 10:12 AM
What caught my eye was the fact that the link was from DC United's web site, and that the study seems to be a joint effort between the team and the city of Baltimore.

Makes one wonder if DCU already has one foot out of Washington and ready to move up the road to Baltimore.

mastermixer
12-23-2010, 10:19 AM
That stadium pic on the cover looks WAYYY too much like BMO. Is it just a stock picture or is that the stadium they are planning to build?

Alixir
12-23-2010, 10:23 AM
That stadium pic on the cover looks WAYYY too much like BMO. Is it just a stock picture or is that the stadium they are planning to build?http://www.cnearchives.com/v04.htm

mastermixer
12-23-2010, 10:31 AM
http://www.cnearchives.com/v04.htm

Haha nice...

billyfly
12-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Just looking at page 17 about team jersey sponsorship deals, I didn't realize 5 teams don't have sponsorship deals. I guess it's hard to get a company to pay $500,000 for a sponsorship in some cities. It would be nice to see a charity use the jersey space like Barcelona did with unicef.

They will be changing that stance.

Barcelona will end their refusal of corporate sponsorship in the 2011–2012 season, having signed a five-year €150m deal with the Qatar Foundation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_Foundation).

jaahuuu
12-23-2010, 10:43 AM
That stadium pic on the cover looks WAYYY too much like BMO. Is it just a stock picture or is that the stadium they are planning to build?
I'm guessing somebody did a GIS for a stadium design photo to stick on the cover, and the one of BMO was the first thing they found.

On page 2 it says "This analysis was prepared for the Maryland Stadium Authority, City of Baltimore and Baltimore Development Corporation for their consideration of plans for two proposed new soccer stadiums in downtown Baltimore." I quickly flipped through the entire thing and didn't see any stadium pics other than the one on the front page.

mastermixer
12-23-2010, 10:55 AM
I guess if you need a generic stadium pic then look up BMO Field. :)

billyfly
12-23-2010, 10:56 AM
BMO could be given certain touches to make it feel more unique and Toronto-ish but alas....

rocker
12-23-2010, 12:49 PM
WTF?????? The report says:

Past events at BMO Field have included an exhibition game by the CFL’s Toronto Argonauts, rugby events, and cricket events.

Detroit_TFC
12-23-2010, 01:09 PM
WTF?????? The report says:

Past events at BMO Field have included an exhibition game by the CFL’s Toronto Argonauts, rugby events, and cricket events.

LOL I also heard it's an alternate landing site for the space shuttle. I love it when people just make up shit, especially in long reports, figuring nobody would know any different.

deltox
12-23-2010, 01:36 PM
cricket? people would be hitting for 6 all the friggin time

Pookie
12-23-2010, 01:41 PM
LOL I also heard it's an alternate landing site for the space shuttle. I love it when people just make up shit, especially in long reports, figuring nobody would know any different.

Maybe they meant on the "site" of BMO. The Argos did play at the Ex.

Whoop
12-23-2010, 01:44 PM
BMO could be given certain touches to make it feel more unique and Toronto-ish but alas....

Supporters' Gate-gate!

billyfly
12-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Outside of the gate even.

Oldtimer
12-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Makes one wonder if DCU already has one foot out of Washington and ready to move up the road to Baltimore.

It would be a sad thing, given that this club is as "storied" as any MLS club gets, and was the only MLS 1.0 club to have good support.

They will unfortunately lose most of those supporters, given that they will be moving over an hour away, no longer on public transit.

J .
12-23-2010, 02:23 PM
The story of DC united is a sad tale.

Heart of Stone
12-23-2010, 03:09 PM

They have had cricket at Rogers Centre ... India vs. Pakistan oldtimers game... and, yes, there were lots of sixes...

Toronto would benefit from a cricket-specific stadium considering cricket is the fastest growing sport in the GTA... hoping we can get a Twenty 20 North American league going within 10 years...

Heart of Stone
12-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Baltimore is a city in need. Period. They screwed up Camden Yards by allowing unchecked development nearby... basically ruined the charm of one baseball's best stadiums...

rocker
12-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Maybe they meant on the "site" of BMO. The Argos did play at the Ex.

maybe! of course the argos haven't played an exhibition game at the Ex site in probably 20+ years? LOL.

and i don't remember any cricket at the Ex... or BMO... rugby? Don't think any rugby has been played there although i did hear rumours of the sort for 2011. Who knows if rugby was played at the Ex.

Man, I need to get into consulting for sports teams... seems like easy money with nobody checking your accuracy.

Macksam
12-24-2010, 11:10 AM
They have had cricket at Rogers Centre ... India vs. Pakistan oldtimers game... and, yes, there were lots of sixes...

Toronto would benefit from a cricket-specific stadium considering cricket is the fastest growing sport in the GTA... hoping we can get a Twenty 20 North American league going within 10 years...
How?

I just checked out some videos on that game back in 2007 and the stadium was 20% full, and that's being generous on my part. Cricket will never fly as a spectator sport over here.

Waggy
12-24-2010, 11:54 AM
How?

I just checked out some videos on that game back in 2007 and the stadium was 20% full, and that's being generous on my part. Cricket will never fly as a spectator sport over here.

Disagree. I'm ethnically very Canadian and have had limited exposure to Cricket, but just based on the population trends and immigration patterns there's no doubt that in the coming years Canada has the potential to become a world power in Cricket. And if Canada were legitimately good at ANY sport that's considered 'global', it will get all the support it needs. Besides, they held some exhibition international basketball games in Toronto over the summer that only drew between 5-10 000 people. I think basketball's going to do OK in this city long term anyways.

Cashcleaner
12-24-2010, 12:07 PM
The story of DC united is a sad tale.

You know what? You're absolutely right on that. Before I have to admit I was fairly ambivalent toward DCU's issues with RFK Stadium, but now I'm a lot more supportive toward their fans and their predicament. Putting myself in their shoes, I know I really wouldn't be able to support TFC like I used to if they were to move further west (like say Oakville or Hamilton).

It's a shame that a deal can't be reached out between the club and any of the local universities down there in DC.

james
12-24-2010, 01:01 PM
i want DC to stay in Washington area!!! NOT BALTIMORE!

DC were probably the first team in MLS to start up a supporters group, and now they just want to move them to another city. SAD! :(

Macksam
12-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Disagree. I'm ethnically very Canadian and have had limited exposure to Cricket, but just based on the population trends and immigration patterns there's no doubt that in the coming years Canada has the potential to become a world power in Cricket. And if Canada were legitimately good at ANY sport that's considered 'global', it will get all the support it needs. Besides, they held some exhibition international basketball games in Toronto over the summer that only drew between 5-10 000 people. I think basketball's going to do OK in this city long term anyways.
I doubt it. If you think second generation Indian kids care about cricket, you're horribly mistaken.

Soccer will be the 'global' sport will legitimately become good at soon.

Oldtimer
12-25-2010, 07:07 PM
I doubt it. If you think second generation Indian kids care about cricket, you're horribly mistaken.

A lot do. Maybe not the same percentage as their parents. Some take up hockey or soccer, but quite a few play cricket.

Twenty 20 has the potential to be big in the GTA or Vancouver.

Heart of Stone
12-25-2010, 07:12 PM
^ Canada has qualified for the upcoming (Feb. - Apr.) ICC world cup... however, this is talk that this competition will go back down to 10 teams... thus making it a lot more difficult for Canada to qualify in future world cups...

I think by "immigration patterns" Waggy meant from Sri Lanka, Pakistan, and the West Indies and not so much the second generation "Indian kids" you reference who I'm sure would rather play soccer ... woot!!!

Stryker
12-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Cricket is bizzare. There I said it.

Waggy
12-25-2010, 08:08 PM
^ Canada has qualified for the upcoming (Feb. - Apr.) ICC world cup... however, this is talk that this competition will go back down to 10 teams... thus making it a lot more difficult for Canada to qualify in future world cups...

I think by "immigration patterns" Waggy meant from Sri Lanka, Pakistan, and the West Indies and not so much the second generation "Indian kids" you reference who I'm sure would rather play soccer ... woot!!!

Exactly. And while I doubt many 2nd generationers really watch cricket, I'm sure a LOT play when they are kids. And I'm sure if they're good there are places for them to go play/learn/improve. And if there aren't, then Cricket Canada (I assume such a thing exists?) should be shot and or pissed on.

Heart of Stone
12-25-2010, 08:29 PM
And the good news is that Ricky Ponting is out and Australia is just 58/4 to open the Melbourne Test!!

twistedchinaman
12-25-2010, 08:34 PM

+1. BMO is not a cricket venue, never will be, never can be. Too easy. Skydome maybe...someone clearly didn't do their research!!!

Cashcleaner
12-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Cricket is bizzare. There I said it.

It's crazy. I don't fully understand it. I don't think I ever will.

And yet, maybe it's just me, but it's still quite fun to watch.

sarsippius
12-26-2010, 08:56 AM
This Report, while having its Toronto sporting facts a smidgun on the wrong, appears to me to have good high level statistics surrounding it. Taking myself out of the context of a supporter, it would seem to me that the angle here is supportive of the venture of a stadium that favors an MLS Team in Baltimore.

Personally, I'd be sad to see United leave DC - they have history there and excellent support. Doesn't seem to me that there's enough local interest in keeping the club outside of the supporters groups.

Baltimore United, you say?

Macksam
12-26-2010, 12:40 PM
A lot do. Maybe not the same percentage as their parents. Some take up hockey or soccer, but quite a few play cricket.

Twenty 20 has the potential to be big in the GTA or Vancouver.
Yeah, I'm sure some do, but way more second generation Indian kids play soccer than cricket. This goes for both the GTA and Vancouver.

Yeah, I can agree to this. Cricket seems to transition well from first to second generation with Sri Lankian and especially West Indian people.

As for Indian kids rather playing soccer, thank God for that.:drinking:

Keystone FC
12-27-2010, 04:36 AM
This Report, while having its Toronto sporting facts a smidgun on the wrong, appears to me to have good high level statistics surrounding it. Taking myself out of the context of a supporter, it would seem to me that the angle here is supportive of the venture of a stadium that favors an MLS Team in Baltimore.

Personally, I'd be sad to see United leave DC - they have history there and excellent support. Doesn't seem to me that there's enough local interest in keeping the club outside of the supporters groups.

Baltimore United, you say?
I too would be somewhat sad to see DCU leave...well...DC...BUT a study such as this one does offer some hope for DCU fans in that the club would still be near by and there would still be the possibility for DC to get a MLS club if the powers-that-be would build a SSS an entice another MLS club (Columbus) to move there.
That fact that a study was done at all is proof that someone high up in Baltimore actually thinks DCU is worthy looking into building them a SSS in the Charm City.