PDA

View Full Version : TFC's biggest rival 2011 edition

Oldtimer
12-21-2010, 11:02 AM
who's it gonna be?

jabbronies
12-21-2010, 11:07 AM
If there ever was a fake, made up rival that is second to Columbus - it would be with Vancouver.

Just because they are Canadian, people assume they will be our rival. They live too far for us to hate them that much. We have never had a rivalry with them - NBA, NHL - why would we start now?

Montreal all the way IMO

Parkdale
12-21-2010, 11:12 AM
the Vancouver thing is so made up... but I do love their 'Red Patch Plastics' tifo with blowup dolls.

and for the win... Tic tac tabernack

uncle p
12-21-2010, 11:13 AM
I dont care enough about Vancouver to like or dislike them. I'll just wish em luck and send em on their way....Montreal and Cbus on the other hand i cant stand!!

I voted Montreal but i think i hate cbus more!!

Beach_Red
12-21-2010, 11:14 AM
I would like to see a two-way rivalry, one where the other team cares about it, too. We lost that in hockey but maybe it can happen with Montreal in soccer.

Suds
12-21-2010, 11:14 AM
In 2011 it will be Vancouver or Columbus ... manufactured or not, we don't like either of them and they feel that same about us. At the very least we would take great pleasure in beating both teams and seeing them crash and fall. That feeling is mutual.

But once Montreal is in the league all others will become secondary.

Ageroo
12-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Impact FTW........

sully
12-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Greatest rival in 2011 will be Montreal in the Canadian championship....

Yeoman
12-21-2010, 11:27 AM
never seen anybody every try and trumpet up when the grizzlies were still in vancity, why should i care about the whitecaps?

tfcleeds
12-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Other than Canadian MLS bragging rights this season, not much to the "rivalry" with Vancouver at all. Will always be Montreal.

TFC1154ever
12-21-2010, 11:50 AM
It will always be Montreal, but Vancouver people REALLY don't like us.

Voodooman
12-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Always Montreal!

deltox
12-21-2010, 12:00 PM
NYRB wernt the elimnators. we shouldnt have let it get to the last game of the season.

menefreghista
12-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Greatest rival in 2011 will be Montreal in the Canadian championship....

We might not even play Montreal next year.

Yohan
12-21-2010, 12:30 PM
It will always be Montreal, but Vancouver people REALLY don't like us.
yeah, but nobody really likes toronto outside of GTA...

vancouver 'rivalry'... lol.

i think i hate columbus more, but that's only because montreal girls are so hot, so it's hard for me to hate mtl as much ;)

__wowza
12-21-2010, 12:52 PM
are you kidding?
montreal helped us with the voyages cup.. twice!!

MartinUtd
12-21-2010, 01:32 PM
If there ever was a fake, made up rival that is second to Columbus - it would be with Vancouver.

Just because they are Canadian, people assume they will be our rival. They live too far for us to hate them that much. We have never had a rivalry with them - NBA, NHL - why would we start now?

Montreal all the way IMO

How about them chanting "never been to BMO" at TFC supporters in years past at Swangard? They seem to think that anyone out there that supports TFC is some trendy eastern wannabe. I don't see that as being manufactured by the league or FO (like C-bus).

jabbronies
12-21-2010, 02:00 PM
How about them chanting "never been to BMO" at TFC supporters in years past at Swangard? They seem to think that anyone out there that supports TFC is some trendy eastern wannabe. I don't see that as being manufactured by the league or FO (like C-bus).

C-bus is manufactured agreed. Vancity just doesn't exist.

Honestly, who really hates Vancouver from Toronto? There was never a rivalry in the NHL with the Canucks. There was never one in the NBA. Hell even in the NCC, the Montreal game was always seen as "The Big One"

As for the "never been to BMO" chant - is that really targeted toward TFC supporters or is it targeted to the wanna-be eastern posers?

Roogsy
12-21-2010, 02:10 PM
The Columbus rivalry WAS manufactured. But the asshole local police and security and the douchebag supporters certified it as a bonafide rivalry. I genuinely hate the team and it's fanbase.

Parkdale
12-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Columbus was manufactured, but it does exist now. After all, just look how much we hate them! Way more than a similar nowhere team like Kansas or Salt Lake.

but yeah.... Montreal and Toronto will be the biggest rivalry in the league. Portland and Seattle will come close, but not really. Vancouver will always be a 5th wheel.

Super
12-21-2010, 03:03 PM
#1 is Montreal. #2 is Columbus. Yes, sure, Columbus is a bit manufactored, but we've played them enough in our young history for me to see them as a rival. They're close to us, they hate us, we hate them, all of this adds up to a rivalry. However, not sure if they see us as much of a rival seeing as we can't beat them. I bet they love playing us: easy 3 points, or at least 1.

Roogsy
12-21-2010, 03:05 PM
^ That's the one piece of evidence that does exist in putting Montreal above Columbus in terms of rivalry. Columbus has owned us. We've owned Montreal. Hence they have a hatred for us that makes for a good rivalry.

MartinUtd
12-21-2010, 03:33 PM
As for the "never been to BMO" chant - is that really targeted toward TFC supporters or is it targeted to the wanna-be eastern posers?

I don't think they differentiate. If there is a rivalry between Vancouver and Toronto then its real no matter how small. This has been the case before any suits decided to put a red shirt in their promo material which is what sets it apart from Columbus.

Me personally? I don't have any love for the city of Vancouver so I'm looking forward to getting into this one.

__wowza
12-21-2010, 03:54 PM
i suggest picking on a team that has absolutely nothing against anyone.
sporting kansas is for cunts!!

Yeoman
12-21-2010, 03:58 PM
We might not even play Montreal next year.

sure we do, just in the academy we do
there's what? two games right there.
HOME OR AWAY :flare:

Brooker
12-21-2010, 04:07 PM
that french team

ManUtd4ever
12-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Without question it is La Shite Province...

Joe Kool
12-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Montreal's rivalry with us has a long history and transcends all sports as it says in the poll. MLS is too new for anyone to care too much about those teams as rivalries and Vancouver is too far for anyone to care too deeply about that one but maybe if they start enough crap throughout the year with us we can learn to hate 'em.

Chevy
12-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Montreal's rivalry with us has a long history and transcends all sports as it says in the poll. MLS is too new for anyone to care too much about those teams as rivalries and Vancouver is too far for anyone to care too deeply about that one but maybe if they start enough crap throughout the year with us we can learn to hate 'em.

+1. To date, Columbus has been the only girl at the dance. When Montreal arrives in 2012 it will be like Meagan Fox walking in.

...and then we will punch her in the mouth.

TorCanSoc
12-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Just feels like Montreal.

Can we stop with the KKK and Columbus stuff. Or is this going to be drawn out forever, because of one idiot?

Ossington Mental Youth
12-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Man, ill call bullshit on made up rivalries gladly but i still to this day refuse to believe that rivalry with the krew is one of em (made up). I have absolutely nothing but disdain for them.

I dont think the rivalry with Vancouver is made up but i dont think its nearly as strong as the one with Montreal or Columbus. Mostly the rivalry exists because of the fact there are only 3 canadian teams. Id be amazed if they hated us more than they hate seattle or portland two teams with which they have deep histories. Kinda like we're their columbus.

The rivalry with Montreal need not be explained.

The new york thing? I dont even think we're on their radar, that to me seemed made up or even just jokes

scooterTFC
12-21-2010, 08:42 PM
No rivalry yet between TFC-Whitecaps. Could that change? For sure. If Vancouver beats us in both meatings next year you can bet that national media outlets that don't cover much soccer will have stoires talking about how Vancouver's expansion sides 'dominated' the fith year clubs from Toronto. Instant rivalry.

billyfly
12-21-2010, 08:50 PM
My opinion - KILL EVERYBODY.

Cashcleaner
12-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Our rivalry with Columbus didn't come about as a result of any deep-seated disrespect between our clubs and the cities they represent. It came about more as a result of irritation. By that I mean while the league declared Toronto and Columbus to be rival cities and we didn't give a fuck, Columbus in its infinite quest to be taken seriously hyped it up anyway. Columbus isn't so much a rival as it is a little annoying kid jumping around us and chirping until we swat them away.

We don't like them, but only because they really want us to hate them.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-21-2010, 10:13 PM
speak for yourself man, i hated columbus when bill archer starting spouting off his anticanadian nonsense, hated chicago for a while too for the same reason but that stopped, then after two trips that resulted in fiascos my deep seated hatred was cemented

Pookie
12-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Technically speaking, the rivalry with Montreal (as far as MLS goes) is made up too. There is no MLS history between the clubs, only Nutralite, a geography and a carryover from other sports.

Still, it is probably the best one we've got.

I wish that we had a MLS rivalry based on some on field happening that transcended geography. Sort of a like the hate on we had for the P.R. Islanders or Arabe Unido's tactics. Dislike for them was immediate and justified, from time wasting GKs to diving to officiating slanted in their direction to verbally abusing Ball Kids... there was a lot there from both of those home and away series.

Not many MLS teams generate that kind of immediate reaction. Lenhart and Conway in the Columbus game was close. JDG and Attakora vs the Houston player was another potential moment.

twistedchinaman
12-22-2010, 03:09 AM
We Calgarians (and Redmondumbians and Portlanders and Shittlelites) have the Vancouver hate on -- you guys just concentrate on hating Montreal.

Redcoe15
12-22-2010, 03:16 AM
For 2011, it will be Vancouver and the Shitecraps. For 2012 and infinity, it will be Montreal! :mad5:

stugautz
12-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Until we beat Columbus, they will be our rivals. We can all agree we hate the city, we hate the people and unless TFC is playing there we have no reason to be in the city. Can't say all that about Montreal.

james
12-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Always hate Montreal the most no matter what sport, we got long time grudges. Columbus are 2nd most hated i think mainly because of our away trips there. And Columbus have actually inproved the supporters atmosphere.

I never consider New York as are rivalry, they hate teams like DC United and Philly much more, as we hate Montreal and columbus much more.

Ive never been to Vancouver, but ive always herd people say how much people in Vancouver hate Toronto. Exspecially in Hockey, but truth is we got other teams to hate like Montreal or Ottawa or Buffalo or Detroit...or in soccer Columbus, Montreal, truth is Vancouver is just to far away from us to really give a fuck about them!!!

james
12-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Technically speaking, the rivalry with Montreal (as far as MLS goes) is made up too. There is no MLS history between the clubs, only Nutralite, a geography and a carryover from other sports.

Still, it is probably the best one we've got.

I wish that we had a MLS rivalry based on some on field happening that transcended geography. Sort of a like the hate on we had for the P.R. Islanders or Arabe Unido's tactics. Dislike for them was immediate and justified, from time wasting GKs to diving to officiating slanted in their direction to verbally abusing Ball Kids... there was a lot there from both of those home and away series.

Not many MLS teams generate that kind of immediate reaction. Lenhart and Conway in the Columbus game was close. JDG and Attakora vs the Houston player was another potential moment.

in Soccer rivalries is always created by the fans hatting other local fans grudges. Often its not about the on field, i mean you get teams like West Ham hatting Millwall yet on the field how fare is it?? Millwall is almost always a league or 2 lower then West Ham. But once the players see how much it means to the fans they try that much harder.

teams like like P.R islanders or Arabe Unido will never be a rivalry because they are so freaking far away.

Cashcleaner
12-22-2010, 09:46 AM
speak for yourself man, i hated columbus when bill archer starting spouting off his anticanadian nonsense, hated chicago for a while too for the same reason but that stopped, then after two trips that resulted in fiascos my deep seated hatred was cemented

I just hate Bill Archer. Mostly for being an incredible moron and being completely oblivious to his own intellectual inadequacies.

ginkster88
12-22-2010, 10:03 AM
We'll be Vancouver's favourite to beat, that's for sure. We don't care much about them, but they care a whole lot about us.

Oldtimer
12-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Can we stop with the KKK and Columbus stuff. Or is this going to be drawn out forever, because of one idiot?

It's more than just one idiot (although he's one of the worst). While there are many fine people in Columbus, Archer preaches to a choir who shares many of his same xenophobic values. That's why his blog is quite popular in his town.

Chevy
12-22-2010, 04:55 PM
+1. My only comfort regardng that d**k is that deep down he knows his faithful supporters are a bunch of half-witted sheep.

ArmenJBX
12-22-2010, 04:57 PM
I always thought of it like this:

Toronto - Vancouver is like Batman vs Superman
Toronto - Montreal is like Batman vs. Insert Generic Evil Villain here

BS1327
12-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Put in a highspeed train between Toronto-Montreal, allowing support to travel between, and Toronto-Montreal will become La Classico of Canada...in ALLL sports. I think TFC would create it, and Leafs-Canadiens/Argos-Als would follow suit.

Heart of Stone
12-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Has to be Columbus... does the Trillium Cup mean nothing to you people!?!

Yohan
12-22-2010, 10:01 PM
nope.

Cashcleaner
12-22-2010, 10:03 PM

Nada.

twistedchinaman
12-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Does the Trillium Cup mean nothing to you people!?!

Nada.

Redcoe15
12-23-2010, 02:09 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

__wowza
12-23-2010, 10:02 AM

i would also agree and say no.

MartinUtd
12-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Can't say I'm too enthused about 2 teams 1 cup

james
12-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Can't say I'm too enthused about 2 teams 1 cup

:lol::lol::lol:

TFC07
12-28-2010, 07:49 PM
I remember some of older TFC fans telling me something about how Vancouver fans rooted an American team over Toronto Blizzard during NASL cup final in Vancouver(?). Since then, Toronto soccer fans hated Vancouver.

As for hockey, I think there is some hate for Vancouver now from Leaf fans. You should see how rabid the crowd was in Vancouver during the Cannots-Leafs game.

Point is: there is some history between us and them. I personally can't wait to play against Vancouver.
:scarf:

Roogsy
12-28-2010, 07:49 PM
After today's developments I think the answer is obvious.

TFC is their own worst enemy.

denime
12-28-2010, 07:51 PM

AGREE 100%,

TFC FO is TFC enemy/rival #1!!

Suds
12-28-2010, 08:00 PM

Yep ... was thinking the same thing.