PDA

View Full Version : Matt Stinson

DangerRed
12-20-2010, 11:07 AM
TFC highlighting a former Academy player, noting it has the rights to sign him ahead of the draft if he decides to go pro. I'm guessing we might get to see this guy in our lineup.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/12/stinson-earns-accolades

Ron Manager
12-20-2010, 07:31 PM
It is nice to see an Academy player doing well. Hopefully he continues to develop and can be a first team Red in the future. I have to say, I have been impressed whenever I see our Academy kids, we seem to be molding players who are mobile, smart and comfortable on the ball.
One does wonder though when the academy system will overtake the NCAA as the place to develop talent. I think a dedicated, pro academy has a bigger focus on player development versus the NCAA focus on winning. However, getting an education is still very important as players aren't so assured of a decent income through football here.

Dub Narcotic
12-21-2010, 02:18 PM
It is nice to see an Academy player doing well. Hopefully he continues to develop and can be a first team Red in the future. I have to say, I have been impressed whenever I see our Academy kids, we seem to be molding players who are mobile, smart and comfortable on the ball.
One does wonder though when the academy system will overtake the NCAA as the place to develop talent. I think a dedicated, pro academy has a bigger focus on player development versus the NCAA focus on winning. However, getting an education is still very important as players aren't so assured of a decent income through football here.

The time is here already. I think more than 15 players have been signed this year from academies, most of which are less than five years old. Once the programs get really established, the draft will become even more secondary.

Ron Manager
12-21-2010, 04:13 PM
I still believe alot of young players may feel pressured to go NCAA to have that education in their back pocket as football is not a secure career choice yet here. NCAA will be totally redundant if and when the league opens up salaries enough to pay the young kids properly.
Its a shame though, I really believe academies produce better players.