PDA

View Full Version : To be honest...

kdzb
06-28-2008, 07:57 PM
New England are making us a joke tonight.
Our offence is shite. We need goal scorers big time in this team.

TFC-Tyler
06-28-2008, 08:00 PM
The whole team is shite. Contenders need to be able to win on the road. It isnt even that we're losing, its how were losing. We're getting fucking embarassed every road game. Starting Edwards over Sutton was a shite management decision too.

Lenny Dikestra
06-28-2008, 08:01 PM
How hard would it be to bring in any young striker ..anybody just give someone a chance ..We have nothing..
The whole game sickens me ..

kdzb
06-28-2008, 08:08 PM
We are not going to contend this season with the kind of play we play on the road, Period.

James Oliphant
06-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Are you people kidding me?

We had the majority of possession and an equal number of scoring chances in the game. A couple of bad mistakes defensively and some bounces that just didn't go our way, and we're suddenly complete shit?

We lost, yes. Were we shit? Hell no. This was a good effort tonight which just didn't go our way. We need to be smarter defensively and find some breaks in the final third.

rocker
06-28-2008, 08:33 PM
We are not going to contend this season with the kind of play we play on the road, Period.

but we are contending, despite the shit road record. this is MLS afterall.

kdzb
Good effort without winning don't win championships my friend.
On paper we are better and deeper squad than New England but on the field and specially on the road we are shit indeed.

Detroit_TFC
Come on people. Losing does not automatically = shit team. This was probably one of our toughest opponents this year and we put good pressure on them, looked for mistakes and scored on one of them. Our second half effort was good, not great, but better than the first half. Last year we couldn't do fuck all in the second half.

Ossington Mental Youth
Our offense did look like shit, however they didnt out play us by any means. We defo need a proper striker and also some sort of shit to happen with our passing as they were chopping us up without any issues...

Ossington Mental Youth
06-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Yep, Detroit made another point i forgot to make myself.
We did relatively well against the top team in the league, we could have beaten them, we didnt, gotta learn from it and come back twice as hard (we will be playing them again).

TFC-Tyler
06-28-2008, 08:36 PM
We got outplayed. Our defense played like shit. We had no striker, our offence was our midfield. Edwards did his best, which wasnt good enough. We play like shite on the road.

James Oliphant
06-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Define outplayed, TFC-Tyler....because I don't think you know what it means.

camcamy
06-28-2008, 08:37 PM

We had the majority of possession and an equal number of scoring chances in the game. A couple of bad mistakes defensively and some bounces that just didn't go our way, and we're suddenly complete shit?

We lost, yes. Were we shit? Hell no. This was a good effort tonight which just didn't go our way. We need to be smarter defensively and find some breaks in the final third.

100% Correct! We cant just have this mentallity that if we lose on the road we can automatically say they played like shit. Good effort on the road against the #1 team. We played better and a draw would have been fair. Overall, disapointed with the loss, but very happy with the improvment on the road.

James Oliphant
06-28-2008, 08:41 PM
100% Correct! We cant just have this mentallity that if we lose on the road we can automatically say they played like shit. Good effort on the road against the #1 team. We played better and a draw would have been fair. Overall, disapointed with the loss, but very happy with the improvment on the road.

There are two things that made me extremely happy in this game...first that we came out playing a similar style to what we play at home (aggressive, attacking football, defending from the front) and second that we actually pushed for the equalizer...especially after the second goal (the first seemed to rattle us, and we turtled a bit).

This is a frustrating loss because we were in it the whole way.

Wighty
06-28-2008, 08:49 PM
This is a frustrating loss because we were in it the whole way.

I feel the same way. For some reason I'm more pissed off now, then after a blow out, because we should have gotten at least a point out of this game.

Bobo
06-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Man I wish I had some of you guys' optimism. I really didn't see a good team out there today. Not a single player impressed me today. Had NE been better themselves, we would have gotten creamed.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-28-2008, 08:51 PM

it was one of our better road games it quite a while and the header towards the end should have gone in...the defence needs to tighten up a bit more in a crucial game like this, maybe 5 defenders?? But this was out best effort in Boston, we will take them IN TO.

Laurignano
06-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Ok I understand people are trying to be postive about our performance. I notice our players dont make space for each other to pass around. NE had a lot of space for passes due to our defence, position, and obviously quality of their passes to begin with. The way they play makes it hard for any team to win, I am disapointed in the loss, but I mean how can I really complain when their side is quality?

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Ok I understand people are trying to be postive about our performance. I notice our players dont make space for each other to pass around. NE had a lot of space for passes due to our defence, position, and obviously quality of their passes to begin with. The way they play makes it hard for any team to win, I am disapointed in the loss, but I mean how can I really complain when their side is quality?

4 staright...and more likley 5 MLS cup finals....they are good, but we should have had a draw at least.

Batman
06-28-2008, 08:58 PM

QFT. Well said!

Bars92
06-28-2008, 09:01 PM
The footy IQ of some people on this board is piss poor. Toronto looked like the form team tonight and passed the ball around well, despite the loss. Sure, we need a little more help up front, but a 2-1 loss on the road against the top team is no call to start saying the team is shit. Wise up.

Laurignano
06-28-2008, 09:04 PM
The footy IQ of some people on this board is piss poor. Toronto looked like the form team tonight and passed the ball around well, despite the loss. Sure, we need a little more help up front, but a 2-1 loss on the road against the top team is no call to start saying the team is shit. Wise up.
I wouldn't exactly say we passed the ball around welll..we had a lot of Turn overs. I think TFC didn't make space for each other enough to give easy passes. I think if Sutton was in net he wouldve grabbed the cross off of the first goal. It looked like our biggest problem tonight was in the Midfield...obviously it must have been hard for Toronto's players to get the ball in the mid-field when NE have 5 players there, but I kind of wish Toronto put Guevera more in the middle of the field so he would be able to set up more plays, and possibily play only one Defensive Midfielder with two strikers.

VPjr
06-28-2008, 09:05 PM
We were far from good but we are equally far from shite in that game.

our D was really shaky. the Revs have more pace up front than almost anyone we've played thus far this season and it made it quite uncomfortable for our defenders, even Marvell (who had his worst game of the season IMO).

Our Midfield was not at its best. Ricketts played ok and swung a few nice crosses in, Edu got a goal and won a lot of challenges but gave the ball away too cheaply at times too, Robert sleepwalked through that game and Robinson was the same as always (ball winner, bad passer).

Danny D was ok but got caught offside too often. Guevara was invisible in the first half but very good in the last 25 minutes of the game.

Edwards was ok. not much he could do on either goal but I'd rather see Sutton back against Vancouver on Tuesday.

WE NEED A GOAL SCORER. We're still too easy to defend

zeelaw
06-28-2008, 09:07 PM
som ppl are forgetting about how ppl were writing off tfc this season until our away win in LA (this includes me)... then they turned ita round

Bars92
06-28-2008, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't exactly say we passed the ball around welll..we had a lot of Turn overs. I think TFC didn't make space for each other enough to give easy passes. I think if Sutton was in net he wouldve grabbed the cross off of the first goal. It looked like our biggest problem tonight was in the Midfield...obviously it must have been hard for Toronto's players to get the ball in the mid-field when NE have 5 players there, but I kind of wish Toronto put Guevera more in the middle of the field so he would be able to set up more plays, and possibily play only one Defensive Midfielder with two strikers.

We had an obscene number of offsides, I'd like to see two strikers as well.

Laurignano
06-28-2008, 09:09 PM
We were far from good but we are equally far from shite in that game.

our D was really shaky. the Revs have more pace up front than almost anyone we've played thus far this season and it made it quite uncomfortable for our defenders, even Marvell (who had his worst game of the season IMO).

Our Midfield was not at its best. Ricketts played ok and swung a few nice crosses in, Edu got a goal and won a lot of challenges but gave the ball away too cheaply at times too, Robert sleepwalked through that game and Robinson was the same as always (ball winner, bad passer).

Danny D was ok but got caught offside too often. Guevara was invisible in the first half but very good in the last 25 minutes of the game.

Edwards was ok. not much he could do on either goal but I'd rather see Sutton back against Vancouver on Tuesday.

WE NEED A GOAL SCORER. We're still too easy to defend

The reason why Guevera was invisible b/c he was in a position which doesnt involve him enough in the game and when he got the ball he had no one really to pass out too. Once all the wingers were taken off Guevera dropped lower in the midfield and had more options and freedom, which IMO helped us play better.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-28-2008, 09:12 PM
We had an obscene number of offsides, I'd like to see two strikers as well.

the one where brennan laid off a pass attacking the revs end looked onside,?

Laurignano
06-28-2008, 09:13 PM
the one where brennan laid off a pass attacking the revs end looked onside,?

I know...but bad calls happen from time to time, even sometimes to benefit us.

VPjr
06-28-2008, 09:18 PM
The reason why Guevera was invisible b/c he was in a position which doesnt involve him enough in the game and when he got the ball he had no one really to pass out too. Once all the wingers were taken off Guevera dropped lower in the midfield and had more options and freedom, which IMO helped us play better.

I agree...I'm not sure I agree with where Carver lines up Guevara. I believe he'd be more effective in a 4-4-2 patrolling central midfield behind 2 strikers rather than in this 4-4-1-1. If that doesn't happen, we'll need a lot more runs from the flanks without the ball to create more passing lanes for Amado

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-28-2008, 09:24 PM
one positive is we finally scored in Boston so at leat that has been put to bed...next time a point or better should be the result.

TFC-Tyler
06-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Define outplayed, TFC-Tyler....because I don't think you know what it means.
I do actually, thanks for the smart ass comment though. We got outplayed tonight in my eyes. Sorry if I'm not a blind sheep like some people.

Laurignano
06-28-2008, 10:00 PM
one positive is we finally scored in Boston so at leat that has been put to bed...next time a point or better should be the result.
True. But we still need to fix our problems on the road.

GuelphStorm2007
06-28-2008, 10:01 PM
We played pretty good for a road game. We just did not get the breaks especially poor Jarrod Smith in the second half. But there were a lot offsides called on us.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-28-2008, 10:02 PM
True. But we still need to fix our problems on the road.

Chicago is next......points could be taken there,its a must now.

GuelphStorm2007
06-28-2008, 10:03 PM
I wonder if it is psycological thing they have going when they play on the road.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-28-2008, 10:05 PM
I wonder if it is psycological thing they have going when they play on the road.

the quicker they get a road win again, the better,we don't need this deagging the rest of the season....Chicago 3 point guarenteed!!:canada:

TFC-Tyler
06-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Chicago 3 point guarenteed!!:canada:
For Chicago.

Laurignano
06-28-2008, 10:08 PM
For Chicago.
I hope your wrong.

TFC-Tyler
06-28-2008, 10:12 PM
I hope your wrong.
I do too, but I cant say I'm optimistic.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-28-2008, 10:57 PM
I hope your wrong.

only TFC Tyler would pick chicago:(

TFC Cityboy
06-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Robert looks bored and disinterested again....no big surprise as the guy was a gamble.
If playing Guevara Robert and Ricketts away from home, Mo and Robbo need to play defensive Mid and stay back more to cover our defence.

Personally I felt we competed more in MF once Jimmy B was in on the left and JJ was in at LB.
NE played way too many thru balls to bypass the full backs tonight, and I'd be inclined to take Marvell out of the defence til he develops some basic positional sense. We could move Marco Velez to RB and play Bombscare (Tibily) with Marshall/JJ in the meantime.
I love Marvell but he costs us again and again at grounds like RFK and Foxboro and he needs to know that the RB slot is not his own.

Blazer
06-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Dumb thread. Go jump on the Devil Rays' band wagon. They made the Yankees look like shit the other night and are gonna win the world series. TFC is better off without ya!

James Oliphant
06-28-2008, 11:56 PM
I do actually, thanks for the smart ass comment though. We got outplayed tonight in my eyes. Sorry if I'm not a blind sheep like some people.

Here's another smartass comment: thanks for answering my question.

So in your eyes, more possession + more corners + equal shots on target = outplayed?

Or is it just outscored = outplayed?

Just curious.

Blazer
06-29-2008, 12:10 AM
I’ll trade possession, corners, and shots on target for a win any day, but I catch your drift. Kill the argument guys it’s getting you nowhere.

James Oliphant
06-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Not passion...possession.

Blazer
06-29-2008, 12:43 AM
I'd still trade it.

Jeff s
06-29-2008, 03:05 AM
What are you guys talking about? For an away game that wasn't bad. For all we know, the game probably should've been a tie with that disallowed goal. And we had equal amount of good chances.

Remember last season? We would head to NE and fucking get raped, completely different story this time.

Keystone FC
06-29-2008, 04:03 AM
We lost what we should have won. That's a gimme, but from last year to this year is a big step up for our guys. The only thing that really put my head in my hands is the goal that had our backline look like a bunch of cats looking at a laserbeam on a wall. That right there made me think of McBride and what we could get from Chicago. I really think we need more defense than a striker. We already have a well built mid field and if our backline was stronger than we would hold on to the ball longer and keep it out of our net. We have forwards and middies who can put the ball on net what they don't have is the ball and opprotunities that they need to get the ball past the keeper.

ExiledRed
06-29-2008, 08:16 AM
We lost but it wasnt a convincing defeat by any means, we deserved a draw, and could easily have won it, had Jimmy not been blown off-side when he wasn't.

(Officials have obviously modified the off-side rule so that if you are the last man back when you get the ball (not when it's played) you are off-side.)

Anybody who expected a win against the Revs at home is on crack. It would have been nice, and it definitely wasnt impossible, but I am impressed with how well we actually did anyway. We stayed upbeat for 90 minutes, we didnt give up, we scored a late goal and pushed for an equaliser, we kept exploring our chances but In the end we just dont have a finish and that's a fact.

TFC Cityboy
06-29-2008, 08:50 AM
^^^ all good points. Fact remains that we are unable to keep the opposition out for the critical 1st 20minutes time and again on the road and we create a mountain to climb. Watching us on TV away from home has become a depressing experience (LA excluded) tho we did play some nice football last night.

I'd shake things up in Chicago and play with a more defensive shield- replacing Wynne and Brennan at FB (too vulnerable to poor positioning/ thru-balls last night)

Sutton
Velez Tibily (if fit) Marshall James
Ricketts Edu Robinson Brennan
Guevara
Dichio

Blazer
06-29-2008, 08:58 AM
^^^ all good points. Fact remains that we are unable to keep the opposition out for the critical 1st 20minutes time and again on the road and we create a mountain to climb. Watching us on TV away from home has become a depressing experience (LA excluded) tho we did play some nice football last night.

I'd shake things up in Chicago and play with a more defensive shield- replacing Wynne and Brennan at FB (too vulnerable to poor positioning/ thru-balls last night)

Sutton
Velez Tibily (if fit) Marshall James
Ricketts Edu Robinson Brennan
Guevara
Dichio

With this lineup you’d be committing to a draw of nils. I don’t get the impression from Carver that he plays for single points. I think he keeps going with what has been working overall and tightens up in areas of concern - like the vulnerable back line you speak of.

Damien
06-29-2008, 09:28 AM
We looked MUCH worse against DC Utd that we did against the Revs.

Laziness cost us goals in New England.

Laurignano
06-29-2008, 09:42 AM
We looked MUCH worse against DC Utd that we did against the Revs.

Laziness cost us goals in New England.

Agreed. I say we play a 2 striker system so Guevera can drop back more and be the setup man for everything.

Blazer
06-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Unfortunately it appeared as though Guevara was diddling with the ball more than he needed to because our strikers were not creating opportunity for him. I thought the NE strikers worked really well while creating chances for their own middies. He isn't able to be his creative self when these strikers offer limited opportunity. Cunny runs aimlessly for homerun passes as gets caught offside more often than not because he has zero awareness.

ExiledRed
06-29-2008, 09:59 AM
The Revs play a strong posession game, they use Josef really well to control the midfield and they have a dynamic counterattack.

They are a really difficult team, with an excellent coach and a track record to prove how good they are.

The fact that they didn't steamroll over us, is actually very encouraging.

The Revs take the east this year, but we'll be in the play offs with them, I'm confident.

Blazer
06-29-2008, 10:05 AM
The Revs play a strong posession game, they use Josef really well to control the midfield and they have a dynamic counterattack.

They are a really difficult team, with an excellent coach and a track record to prove how good they are.

The fact that they didn't steamroll over us, is actually very encouraging.

The Revs take the east this year, but we'll be in the play offs with them, I'm confident.

I tend to agree.

TFC-Tyler
06-29-2008, 12:05 PM
So in your eyes, more possession + more corners + equal shots on target = outplayed?

Or is it just outscored = outplayed?

Just curious.
So in your eyes, stats show who played better?

I actually watched the game, and saw TFC getting outplayed. We didnt play awful or anything, but we got outplayed. And oh look, I'm not the only one in this thread who thinks so.

I really dont give a rats ass what a dumb sheep like you thinks, post all the stats you want. If you really feel the need to argue over me simply saying we got outplayed, thats pretty damn sad.

Roogsy
06-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Cool it Tyler. You wanna disagree that's fine. But that's the second "sheep" comment you've made. Enough.

TFC-Tyler
06-29-2008, 01:05 PM
I wasnt aware sheep was a bannable word. Note that it takes two to tango.

James Oliphant
06-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Indeed, Roogsy. And he still didn't answer my question.

As for the "it takes two to tango"...when did I resort to personal insults?

ExiledRed
06-29-2008, 01:35 PM
what cunt called which fucker, a 'sheep'?

That's not appropriate fucking language for this messageboard.

James Oliphant
06-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Bqxnm6t3QMw

Benficachop20
06-29-2008, 01:48 PM
I thought we played pretty good, especially against a good NE side on the road. I felt we were unlucky not to get at least a point in this match and it was a better performance then our previous matches on the road, so hopefully this is an indication of improvement and maybe next time get some points.

TFC-Tyler
06-29-2008, 02:06 PM
what cunt called which fucker, a 'sheep'?

That's not appropriate fucking language for this messageboard.
:D

You still havent answered my question. Do stats prove who outplayed who? And why did you feel the need to start an arguement over me stating they got outplayed?

New England played better than Toronto, they used their possesion better, played better positionally etc. in my opinion. I'm not saying Toronto played like shite. Now go ahead, answer my questions.

James Oliphant
06-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Oh good...he answered my question. Only took 4 posts.

Now that unpleasantness is behind us, welcome to my ignore list, Tyler.

TFC-Tyler
06-29-2008, 02:25 PM
You could have just looked it up, rather than beg me to tell you. But whatever floats your boat.

Derko
06-30-2008, 06:44 AM
LA losing 4-1 is shite, TFC losing 2-1 is not shite, It was an improved road game than previous road games. The problem is C.U.N.N.I.N.G.H.A.M. until he scores his 100th goal he will be useless, very lazy,very selfish player. Bring in the new striker, please.

ThunderTundra
06-30-2008, 02:12 PM
I know I might get some heat for this. I Love Dichio as much as the next guy, I think he should stay, I'm not advocating him leaving or being benched, I think he should start. Ok now with that out of the way I just want to note that Dichio had 5 offsides during the Revs game, thats two more than the entire NE team and TFC all together had 8 throughout the whole game. Thats 8 squandered opportunities.
Sure offsides happen, its inevitable, but someone needs to teach our boys up front to look left and right before making a move. I honestly think thats a huge part of our situation. Even at home we are offside alot, we just play better at the Fortress.
Carver or somebody needs to work with them to correct this, I know at least 4 of those 8 offsides could have been prime scoring chances if they were only onside at the time of the pass.