PDA

View Full Version : Garcia threatens TFC return

DangerRed
12-17-2010, 01:19 PM
From mlssoccer.com:

Like all undrafted players, Garcia now has the opportunity to negotiate with any team in the league. He says that he’s personally reached out to a few teams already and is confident that he will find a club. He’s been working with a personal trainer four days a week in an effort to stay fit.

“I still think I have something to add to a team,” said Garcia, who said he has not ruled out a return to TFC. “Of course I’d like to have a starting role with a team, but I’m also willing to go somewhere in a reserve role. Wherever I end up it has to be the right fit."

He sounds pretty desperate.

ManUtd4ever
12-17-2010, 01:21 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_A-bXyPL07Ww/SZS211dRjBI/AAAAAAAAC9I/Obwuenj40f8/s400/beggars.jpg

DangerRed
12-17-2010, 01:25 PM
He also apparently gave an interview to Duane Rollins and says some things on leadership on the team:

Although he was not specific in placing blame he suggested that very few TFC players stepped up and made themselves heard when things started to get tough.

"It's the multi-billion dollar question -- what was wrong with TFC," he said. "I think it boils down to communication. There were not enough veteran guys on the field guiding and leading the team."

He says that he notices a change in attitude from when he was a young player to players breaking in to today. Young players don't seem to show any desire to be vocal.

"They seem to spend all their time text messaging or on Twitter. No one wants to speak up."

Darlofletch
12-17-2010, 01:27 PM
sounds like he's quite realistic about his situation.

the key is "Wherever I end up it has to be the right fit." which is true, he could be helpful for the right team, ie the way he was a decent full back within prekis defensive system. He no longer has the talent/skill to fit in anywhere, and he certainly shouldn't be being paid like he was like last year, and it seems like he knows that. best of luck to him.

rocker
12-17-2010, 01:28 PM
for his sake i hope he saved some of the nearly $700000 he made over the past 4 years.
And he can also console himself with his hot blond wife.

ensco
12-17-2010, 01:35 PM
It's not his fault that he's a 5'9" CB who has lost a step and can't tackle.

It could be that he'd be an excellent assistant somewhere. Not here, though, given his links to Mo.

Parkdale
12-17-2010, 01:38 PM
"They seem to spend all their time text messaging or on Twitter. No one wants to speak up."

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_abe0p86QmVA/R-OduOkPWaI/AAAAAAAAAqo/FUxV7uIMS3w/s400/grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

billyfly
12-17-2010, 02:05 PM
LOlL.."threatens"

scooter
12-17-2010, 02:09 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooh say it aint so

TFC Bhoy
12-17-2010, 02:12 PM
in the words of the great Antoine Dodson "hide your kids, hide your wife"

CretanBull
12-17-2010, 02:39 PM
He played "well" as a full back, he wasn't worth his salary but probably could be a quality roll player somewhere, but not here - its time for a change in scenery.

Suds
12-17-2010, 02:44 PM
He played "well" as a full back, he wasn't worth his salary but probably could be a quality roll player somewhere, but not here - its time for a change in scenery.

I felt Garcia played better when moved from the center back position ... or at least was less of a liability.

At a lower wage and and to add depth as a sub to the defense I'd have him back. If he was back as a starter that would tell me TFC did not address the holes we have in that part of our roster.

Chevy
12-17-2010, 02:57 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_A-bXyPL07Ww/SZS211dRjBI/AAAAAAAAC9I/Obwuenj40f8/s400/beggars.jpg

This dude isn't hurting that bad - new shoes, clean jeans and the rarely seen but totally rocking GNR shirt and flame tuque combo.

Maybe he is offering up his cup to Garcia?

Jeffro
12-17-2010, 03:28 PM
This dude isn't hurting that bad - new shoes, clean jeans and the rarely seen but totally rocking GNR shirt and flame tuque combo.

Maybe he is offering up his cup to Garcia?

LOL, I had that shirt at least 15 years ago, how is his in such good shape?

ginkster88
12-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Stock photo.

Milky
12-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Hey cool Jeffro, you sit right near me. I'm in 117 third row. I recognize you. :)

Anyways, Garcia would be a decent fullback at $60K, but it's a bit rich him talking about veterans not pulling their weight and rookies not speaking up. Wasn't it Sam Cronin who said that the team lacked "a winning mentality" and Chris Cummins who said that Garcia was a "bad apple" in the dressing room and that he hoped he never had to work with him again?

Personally, I'd rather a young kid like Ashtone Morgan play for TFC at $40K, but Garcia wouldn't be a bad squad player at a slightly higher price. He's got experience, at least, and he showed that he's a capable fullback.

rocker
12-17-2010, 05:49 PM
I don't think he played well at fullback. Sometimes he played OK at fullback... sometimes he sucked shit. The times he was OK were games in which the opposition didn't test him or he didn't screw up noticeably. But watching other teams' fullbacks, he looks even worse than them. To me he was nothing more than a space filler. Need a body? I guess throw him in.

My opinion: he's not an MLS starter for sure. He could be a backup in case of injury, only if at a very cheap price, doing the "player-assistant coach" thing too.

I too would rather give the spot to a kid like Morgan.

ArmenJBX
12-17-2010, 05:57 PM
I would take him for sure at 40-60k.

If anything, he fills in the roster, provides a good example of a hardworking player in training, and can teach the younger players (especially since we're a very young team) a lot.

Garcia may not be the greatest player but he has some benefits and if he's good in the locker room for morale, why not?

scooter
12-17-2010, 05:59 PM
garcia is a great guy but to shaky on defense cause he isnt quick enough for the forwards he has to play against and mark
maybe he could stick around and help the young players develop
i am sure he would be an asset to the club but as a trainer/coach not a player

TFCRegina
12-17-2010, 06:02 PM
I'd take him at a much lower salary 40-60k range. And I've said it before, and I'll re-iterate it. Let the man into the Academy as a coach when he retires. I think he has a lot to offer to club, even though he's been a goat here for so long.

TFCin110
12-17-2010, 06:48 PM
I thought he was a useful right back. At his height in his youthful days he could get away with playing CB but now that he has lost a step I think that the leap to RB has prolonged his career. I would take him at 40-60k as others have said.

prizby
12-17-2010, 08:37 PM
65k would be fair to me; he can't make more than nana and adrian, thats for sure

TFC USA
12-17-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm not willing to bank on Garcia being effective at any position so please don't take him.

Sopo
12-17-2010, 09:58 PM
I just feel bad for the guy.
Just in a tough position with the club that he will probably end up losing.

Also, some of the things he has said so far about other players not stepping up may not go over well if TFC takes him back. He wants to complain about communication, talking shit isn't helping.

Maybe if this old man would get on Twitter, his team would talk to him via the internet... haha

Stryker
12-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Anyone know what Garcia's housing situation was or if he's gone back to the states?

SweetOwnGoal
12-18-2010, 11:52 AM
He wasn't even remotely desperate.

- Duane

From mlssoccer.com:

Like all undrafted players, Garcia now has the opportunity to negotiate with any team in the league. He says that he’s personally reached out to a few teams already and is confident that he will find a club. He’s been working with a personal trainer four days a week in an effort to stay fit.

“I still think I have something to add to a team,” said Garcia, who said he has not ruled out a return to TFC. “Of course I’d like to have a starting role with a team, but I’m also willing to go somewhere in a reserve role. Wherever I end up it has to be the right fit."

He sounds pretty desperate.

DOMIN8R
12-18-2010, 12:15 PM
He wasn't even remotely desperate.

- Duane

I agree and I think that he still has something to contribute in the locker room and on the pitch. I just hope that we have better options.

David_Oliveira
12-18-2010, 12:16 PM
at 60-65k, he could be useful as a sub and for exhibition and reserve games. He definitely has experience in the MLS. This will help out the younger guys on this team. He seems to already know this is the role for him. He came off his best year with us. tbh, he was the 2nd best lb we've had (I think we've had 3; Brennan, Gala, and him). He could captain our reserve squad and help bring guys up.

Heart of Stone
12-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Anyone know what Garcia's housing situation was or if he's gone back to the states?

He owns a house in K.C... while playing for Toronto he was renting in the beaches w/ his wife and infant...

maninb
12-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Let's not forget he was Mo's and Preki's RAT/SNITCH in the dressing...Dichio, Robinson, DeRo, and DeGuz all hated the guy....Is that the "veteran" leadership anybody wants around your team? No thanks...not even if he played for free....

Beach_Red
12-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Let's not forget he was Mo's and Preki's RAT/SNITCH in the dressing...Dichio, Robinson, DeRo, and DeGuz all hated the guy....Is that the "veteran" leadership anybody wants around your team? No thanks...not even if he played for free....

If that's true, then Cochrane's talking about bringing him back shows how divided the management of the team still is. Who's running this show? What a job for the new guy to step into.

Well, we should know who it is this week - they said before Christmas, right? That should start to settle things down.

nascarguy
12-22-2010, 12:39 AM
it would be funny if he did come back but as our new gm but then MLSE would have to die .......lol