PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Friday,Dec.17

denime
12-17-2010, 06:15 AM
Mornin'

TFC Youngsters Set For U.S. Duel (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/12/tfc-youngsters-set-us-duel)

Reds interim GM Cochrane: I make the decisions (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/reds-interim-gm-cochrane-i-make-decisions)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

CoachGT
12-17-2010, 06:44 AM
Thanks for doing this every day d! First stop of the day!

Chevy
12-17-2010, 08:02 AM
+1. The lost productivity resulting from your efforts must be in the millions of dollars by now (seriously).

Azerban
12-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Cochrane said that although he has not completely ruled out bringing Garcia back at a lower cap hit, he does not think it’s likely.

~*hammers air guitar like a motherfucker*~

menefreghista
12-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Reds interim GM Cochrane: I make the decisions (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/reds-interim-gm-cochrane-i-make-decisions)

LOL. Looks like Duane Rollins isn't wasting any time writing propaganda pieces for TFC.

No wonder he got the job as beat writer for the MLS site.

Cochrane can claim he has the authority to make decisions but all signs point to his role being neutered.

TFC is essentially standing still while the other MLS clubs are working on their rosters.

scooter
12-17-2010, 08:39 AM
mornin d

thank god earl c is not going to pull a mojo and bring in players just so the fans think something is happening better that they wait and bring in the players that we need at a price we can afford
hats off to earl and jimmy and danny and daso and trechiak good stewards

[NBF]
12-17-2010, 08:49 AM
SSG: :canada:hot canadian girl:hump:

Cochrane Article: Some stories are pretty much not worth reading past the headlines.

Unattached: :canada:
Derek Gaudet(FW)
Eddy Sidra(MF)
Richard Hastings(DF)
Pat Onstad(GK)
Adrian Serioux(DF)

[NBF]
12-17-2010, 09:01 AM
What do you guys think of Jamaican Khari Stephenson(MF) who last played for San Jose Earthquakes?

Worth a look, he definitely has size and solid frame, even just for that, he is valuable to our team with DeGuzman and LeBrocca on the same midfield.

bgnewf
12-17-2010, 11:14 AM
LOL. Looks like Duane Rollins isn't wasting any time writing propaganda pieces for TFC.

Cochrane can claim he has the authority to make decisions but all signs point to his role being neutered.

TFC is essentially standing still while the other MLS clubs are working on their rosters.

Perhaps with due respect you might want to add the following phrase to a post such as this one:

"...In my opinion..."

And you are basing your "neutered" position on the fact that TFC did not choose any of the players available in the re-entry draft? Give me a break.

TFC was not the only club that passed on the re-entry draft by the way.

I for one am willing to give Cochrane the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. One of the biggest knocks on Mo when he was in charge was the retarded way he managed the cap space and allocation money. The way you wrote your post infers that you want that style of management like a drunken sailor to continue.

If your position is that TFC should be spending more money on even more big risky contracts then that again is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I know Duane. He is a friend of mine. And it pisses me off when he gets slagged with this "MLSE shill" bullshit. It is wrong. Plain and simple. He got that job by the way because he deserves it.

menefreghista
12-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Perhaps with due respect you might want to add the following phrase to a post such as this one:

"...In my opinion..."

And you are basing your "neutered" position on the fact that TFC did not choose any of the players available in the re-entry draft? Give me a break.

TFC was not the only club that passed on the re-entry draft by the way.

I for one am willing to give Cochrane the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. One of the biggest knocks on Mo when he was in charge was the retarded way he managed the cap space and allocation money. The way you wrote your post infers that you want that style of management like a drunken sailor to continue.

If your position is that TFC should be spending more money on even more big risky contracts then that again is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I know Duane. He is a friend of mine. And it pisses me off when he gets slagged with this "MLSE shill" bullshit. It is wrong. Plain and simple. He got that job by the way because he deserves it.

LOL. I'm posting on a forum. It is implied that its 'my opinion'.

Maybe Rollins isn't a shill. But he has to be as close to an MLSE apologist as you can get.

I make the neutered statement based on the collection of what is happening. Not just the re-entry draft. Add to that Cochrane's own comments in a recent article.

The rest of your post is just bullshit. Where did I say I want another idiot like Johnston running this team?

I'm surprised you actually took some time out of spamming the Voyageurs board to actually post a real response though. Good for you.

bgnewf
12-17-2010, 11:28 AM
LOL. I'm posting on a forum. It is implied that its 'my opinion'.

Maybe Rollins isn't a shill. But he has to be as close to an MLSE apologist as you can get.

I make the neutered statement based on the collection of what is happening. Not just the re-entry draft. Add to that Cochrane's own comments in a recent article.

The rest of your post is just bullshit. Where did I say I want another idiot like Johnston running this team?

I'm surprised you took actually took some time out of spamming the Voyageurs board to actually post a real response though. Good for you.

stay classy.

menefreghista
12-17-2010, 11:31 AM
stay classy.

'With due respect' I'll do what I can.

By the way, don't you have another article to research by posting a question in a forum and having other people provide you with most of the background work?

Parkdale
12-17-2010, 11:35 AM

I like Duane too, and respect his writing, but you must understand how people see the press that comes out of the TFC/MLS site. If they publish absolute fluff bullshit pieces (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/12/2011-season-seats-sold-out) one day, and then a critical article the next, it makes it hard to tell when the selling ends and the reporting beings.

The 4th Estate should be independent or it's useless. People will point that out, regardless of the content.

rocker
12-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Duane's article today is perfectly fine. It starts off with a negative, on behalf of the fans, and then gets Earl to comment on it. That's fair to both the fans and Earl.
Duane doesn't offer his own opinion on the matter.

ensco
12-17-2010, 11:44 AM
That Cochrane story is an MLSE hallmark. Guys opining on their own authority to the press, when rightfully it's their boss who is the only credible person who can/should speak to this.

Just in the last couple of months, Peddie's done it, Anselmi's done it and now Cochrane is doing it.

menefreghista
12-17-2010, 12:04 PM
That Cochrane story is an MLSE hallmark. Guys opining on their own authority to the press, when rightfully it's their boss who is the only credible person who can/should speak to this.

It actually would be interesting to know how that article came about.

The funny thing is that I didn't even really notice any fan restlessness over the re-entry draft. Some people lamented how LA managed to grab JPA, but that was about it. Unless I'm missing something.

It didn't even really seem there was much of a need for a piece like that. Unless you want to continually pound into the fans brains that Cochrane is indeed in charge.

Darlofletch
12-17-2010, 12:13 PM
“I absolutely have the ability to make decisions,” he told MLSsoccer.com. “But I do not think making those decisions in a vacuum is the best thing to do.”

interesting quote. I have the power to make decisions, but i think it's for the best that I don't make the decisions until I can confirm it with the new guy.

sounds fairly neutered to me. which i'm ok with. if he's done a lot of work and lined some guys up, ready to go, without actually committing the club to them if the new guy doesn't want them, then that would be a very good way of doing things.

Darlofletch
12-17-2010, 12:17 PM

he did get the job because he deserves it, absolutely. but he does now have that job. so he's got the access to the players and managers and he's now writing different types of articles. and good for him, as you say he deserves it.

hopefully he'll be able to continue with the other stuff he does for canadiansoccernews, I'd never have called him mlse shill for what he's done there, but these articles, for mlssoccer, those are very much part of the mls and mlse media machine.

edit: oops, sorry, didn't write "in my opinion"

Ossington Mental Youth
12-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Duane's article today is perfectly fine. It starts off with a negative, on behalf of the fans, and then gets Earl to comment on it. That's fair to both the fans and Earl.

yep, totally, people jump on everything around here

menefreghista
12-17-2010, 12:21 PM
sounds fairly neutered to me. which i'm ok with. if he's done a lot of work and lined some guys up, ready to go, without actually committing the club to them if the new guy doesn't want them, then that would be a very good way of doing things.

I agree with this.

What worries me is how long do perspective players wait for us to get our act together?

gracos
12-17-2010, 12:22 PM
When is the next piece of news, coming out of TFC; rumors, and random babbling not my cup of tea

Darlofletch
12-17-2010, 12:28 PM
talking of duane rollins, here's a non shilly article. he interviewed garcia, fluff piece on mlssoccer, and then this piece on csn.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?797-Not-enough-leaders-on-TFC-Nick-Garcia

garcia says the problem with tfc last year, or one of the problems, was a lack of leadership out there. can't say i disagree.

Fort York Redcoat
12-17-2010, 12:32 PM

The funny thing is that I didn't even really notice any fan restlessness over the re-entry draft. Some people lamented how LA managed to grab JPA, but that was about it. Unless I'm missing something.

It didn't even really seem there was much of a need for a piece like that. Unless you want to continually pound into the fans brains that Cochrane is indeed in charge.

You weren't concerned about a lack of moves from the team and Duane didn't ask you about it? Shocking.

I look for news on my team and the re-entry draft-while lame in principle- is a league event. I'm glad it was covered and written about.

It seems like todays one article was one too many for you. I remember when there were zero news articles on TFC every day.

menefreghista
12-17-2010, 12:34 PM
You weren't concerned about a lack of moves from the team and Duane didn't ask you about it? Shocking.

I look for news on my team and the re-entry draft-while lame in principle- is a league event. I'm glad it was covered and written about.

It seems like todays one article was one too much news for you. I remember when there were zero news articles on TFC every day.

Good work with the assumptive bullshit.

Never said anything that you are claiming there.

Somehow speculating that Cochrane doesn't have the power to make moves translates into not wanting to see any news about the team.

ensco
12-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Most of the teams made moves in the last two weeks, many major, and we didn't. So that is news, no question.

menefreghista (and I) were taking the topic somewhere else. Which is the question of how and why Cochrane came to be speaking about himself.

Maybe it's best for a separate thread.

Fort York Redcoat
12-17-2010, 12:47 PM
The funny thing is that I didn't even really notice any fan restlessness over the re-entry draft. Unless I'm missing something.

Good work with the assumptive bullshit.

Never said anything that you are claiming there.

Somehow speculating that Cochrane doesn't have the power to make moves translates into not wanting to see any news about the team.

No. I didn't mention GM Cochrane. That wasn't the point I was making. That what you're focusing on. That and everyone's contribution but your own.

Fort York Redcoat
12-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Most of the teams made moves in the last two weeks, many major, and we didn't. So that is news, no question.

menefreghista (and I) were taking the topic somewhere else. Which is the question of how and why Cochrane came to be speaking about himself.

Maybe it's best for a separate thread.

Go for it.

menefreghista
12-17-2010, 12:48 PM
No. I didn't mention GM Cochrane. That wasn't the point I was making. That what you're focusing on. That and everyone's contribution but your own.

OK. If you say so.

rocker
12-17-2010, 12:52 PM

The funny thing is that I didn't even really notice any fan restlessness over the re-entry draft. Some people lamented how LA managed to grab JPA, but that was about it. Unless I'm missing something..

Reading Duane's article, I think the point was not that people were "restless over the re-entry draft" but that the constant reality of him doing nothing but cutting players, in light of the lack of hiring of a GM or coach yet, caused people to be restless once again.. And certainly after each round of the draft, people complained about this and questioned whether The Coch has the authority to do his job or not, or whether he should even bother to pick players without a coach and GM in place.

The fact that this criticism is even mentioned means he's not a shill. A shill wouldn't even mention criticism (see Communist China ;)

Beach_Red
12-17-2010, 01:42 PM
talking of duane rollins, here's a non shilly article. he interviewed garcia, fluff piece on mlssoccer, and then this piece on csn.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?797-Not-enough-leaders-on-TFC-Nick-Garcia

garcia says the problem with tfc last year, or one of the problems, was a lack of leadership out there. can't say i disagree.

Last year? That's been the problem from the very beginning. The MLSE guys admit they know nothing about the game, they hire a guy with no experience running a team and then they flounder for four years.

This is why people are pessimistic and negative, because it doesn't look like this central problem is being addressed. The same guys who didn't "lead" the team last year all seem to just be moving up one rung on the corporate ladder.

Of course, if an experienced leader takes over the whole TFC operation, and is given a proper mandate, it could work out fine.

In my opinion....

TFCRegina
12-17-2010, 01:47 PM

Sod off. You guys are so damn negative.

MLS writers on their websites have actually been fairly critical of the league and the teams.

But that's because MLS knows its demographic tends to be better educated than the other leagues and doesn't buy bullshit too well.

TFC07
12-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Mornin'

TFC Youngsters Set For U.S. Duel (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/12/tfc-youngsters-set-us-duel)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

A lot of Brampton kids on this Canada's U-20 roster. lol

Roogsy
12-17-2010, 01:53 PM
I like Duane too, and respect his writing, but you must understand how people see the press that comes out of the TFC/MLS site. If they publish absolute fluff bullshit pieces (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/12/2011-season-seats-sold-out)one day, and then a critical article the next, it makes it hard to tell when the selling ends and the reporting beings.

The 4th Estate should be independent or it's useless. People will point that out, regardless of the content.

These posts explain my sentiment on the matter.

Duane's article here is fine by me. I don't see a pro-MLSE bias to this particular article at all, simply Earl's response to the issue.

However, now that he is the "beat-writer" for TFC, his objectivity will be called even more in question than it was before, and I will readily admit I have been one of those that have questioned his position. He simply has to be prepared for it.

Roogsy
12-17-2010, 01:54 PM
A lot of Brampton kids on this Canada's U-20 roster. lol

Brampton is the next big hotbed of emerging Canadian talent. Soccer is huge in Brampton, probably the biggest sport in the city and it's promoted actively in the community. We are already seeing good players coming out of the system.

JonO
12-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Plus, it's Brampton. What else you gonna do?

TFC07
12-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Brampton is the next big hotbed of emerging Canadian talent. Soccer is huge in Brampton, probably the biggest sport in the city and it's promoted actively in the community. We are already seeing good players coming out of the system.

True, I notice Brampton is starting to produce some quality footballers and basketball players.

Roogsy
12-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Plus, it's Brampton. What else you gonna do?

At least it ain't Durham region. Brampton is great. 10 minutes from the airport, great food, very close to the Mississauga entertainment venues like theatres and clubs, great access to the beach and resort communities of Ontario and the best rippers joints in the GTA. :D

Ageroo
12-17-2010, 02:35 PM
No TFC or MLS news in this one......but Canada related.

Atiba Hutchinson named player of the year.
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=25782

Parkdale
12-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Brampton is great. 10 minutes from the airport....

which is great for getting out of Brampton ;)

but yeah, I really like the areas north of there. Klienberg, Caledon, even Bolton.

Kaz
12-17-2010, 09:09 PM
At least it ain't Durham region. Brampton is great. 10 minutes from the airport, great food, very close to the Mississauga entertainment venues like theatres and clubs, great access to the beach and resort communities of Ontario and the best rippers joints in the GTA. :D
There are clubs in Brampton? I've lived here a year, and the sprawling mess that this city is has prevented me from finding anything resembling a club. Dive bars, Yuppie wannabe bars, Ethnic bars, and a few dozen walk in clinics... but no clubs.