PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,Dec.16

denime
12-16-2010, 06:15 AM
Mornin'

Sturgis Arrives At BMO (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/12/sturgis-arrives-bmo)

Reds Pass On Re-Entry (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/12/reds-pass-re-entry)

TFC sits still, again (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/12/15/16569336.html)

Canadian women's soccer team draws Brazil (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/12/15/sp-cdn-bra.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Technorgasm
12-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Can this Sturgis offer us anything new?
What I mean is, we have plenty of players (1 too many if you ask me) as Center Mids..
will he be a WIDE player for us?
does he have the legs to be a winger?

"TIght spaces" technique we have in spades, its picking out a player 10-15 yards away that has consitently been our problem.

Technorgasm
12-16-2010, 07:38 AM
WE PASSED ON fucking An-Hell ?

If we cant see his value. . what the FUCK is going on ?

sidvan
12-16-2010, 07:55 AM
WE PASSED ON fucking An-Hell ?

If we cant see his value. . what the FUCK is going on ?

He wasn't there for us to pick...LA got him with 5th pick

TOBOR !
12-16-2010, 07:56 AM
SSG : high cheekbones, shapeless dress, Tom Brady, uncomfortable.

TOBOR !
12-16-2010, 07:59 AM
He wasn't there for us to pick...LA got him with 5th pick

because they moved up in the order by orchestrating a deal with Houston (?). It's a pity we couldn't have thought of that - what did it cost LA ? A 4th rounder ? Some allocation $$$ ?

In any case, this may amount to having more to do with the fact that we're waiting for our new management team to make all these decisions... which, if true, makes you wonder why we picked up Sturgis, for one thing.

scooter
12-16-2010, 08:05 AM
mornin d

way to go canadian ladies again

Parkdale
12-16-2010, 08:52 AM
http://www.thecrew.com/news/2010/12/crew-selects-jeff-cunningham-re-entry

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

The Columbus Crew today selected forward Jeff Cunningham in Stage 2 of the first-ever MLS Re-Entry Process, meaning that the prolific veteran forward could return to the club with which he spent the first seven seasons of his professional career. If a player selected is not under contract, as is the case with Cunningham, the drafting club will be required to make an offer to the player within seven days. In the event that an agreement cannot be reached between the drafting club and the out-of-contract player, the drafting club will hold the right of first refusal for that player in MLS.

Public Enemy #1

Cashcleaner
12-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Jeff Cunningham to the Crew?

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/06/nelson-haha.gif

DangerRed
12-16-2010, 09:38 AM
You know how silly you guys look laughing at Cunningham? I dislike him as much as the next guy, but he's a 14-goal scorer this season who's going to join a TFC rival that we have never ever beaten before.

If anyone should be laughing, it's Columbus.

Parkdale
12-16-2010, 09:41 AM
You know how silly you guys look laughing at Cunningham? I dislike him as much as the next guy, but he's a 14-goal scorer this season who's going to join a TFC rival that we have never ever beaten before.

he's not a consistent scorer (just look at his time here). We're laughing because Columbus is the most hated team around these parts, and Cunny is the most hated player too. Put them together, focus the hate into a white hot beam, and it's going to be nothing by laughs.

Wull
12-16-2010, 09:42 AM
ugh, pats fans :puke:

McBrace

I think he plays well infront of 5000 fans. When he comes to a place that actually cares about the team (Toronto) he can't play well under pressure... If he's such a talent why does he not play for his National team on a regular basis?

JonO
Also, with regard to JPA, it's entirely possible that he wanted to go to LA, rather than Toronto, to finish his career. Where would you go to have the best crack at winning for your final year or two?

Ossington Mental Youth
12-16-2010, 09:45 AM
also possible JPA isnt worth what he was demanding being an aging oft injured striker n all

DangerRed
12-16-2010, 09:51 AM
I think he plays well infront of 5000 fans. When he comes to a place that actually cares about the team (Toronto) he can't play well under pressure... If he's such a talent why does he not play for his National team on a regular basis?

And yet his team makes it to the final of the MLS Cup and he has about 140 career goals.

I don't know, dudes. I don't see us beating Shitlumbus anytime soon.

Pigfynn
12-16-2010, 09:57 AM

Agree 100% and there are lots of players exactly like that in this league. Mental toughness isn't something they teach in the US college system apparently lol.

We have had a ton of players with poor mental toughness on TFC in these past 4 yrs, which explains why they go somewhere else with lower expectations and do better. That and the fact we haven't had a real system for 4 yrs either hahaha!

Detroit_TFC
12-16-2010, 10:52 AM
And yet his team makes it to the final of the MLS Cup and he has about 140 career goals.

I don't know, dudes. I don't see us beating Shitlumbus anytime soon.

I disagree, Columbus is in disarray right now. Of course beating them would depend on us not being in disarray. I assume that we get our situation settled. Roster to roster right now, we can beat them.

Parkdale
12-16-2010, 10:53 AM
I disagree, Columbus is in disarray right now. Of course beating them would depend on us not being in disarray. I assume that we get our situation settled. Roster to roster right now, we can beat them.

yep. columbus is very far from their lineup of 2 years ago (which was a very solid team, even though I hate it)

DangerRed
12-16-2010, 11:01 AM
You guys, or maybe the statements you're making, are delusional.

Columbus finished second in our conference and fifth overall (on goal diff v. FCD) and they just added a goal machine to their lineup with Cunny.

Even with a settled roster, TFC is *miles* from their level of play.

I'm a diehard fan (and brand new) SSH, but sometimes you have to acknowledge when a team is better than you.

Alixir
12-16-2010, 11:05 AM
I disagree, Columbus is in disarray right now. Of course beating them would depend on us not being in disarray. I assume that we get our situation settled. Roster to roster right now, we can beat them.We are just as bad off as they are.
If I was a betting man I would have the crew finishing better off then us this year again.

maninb
12-16-2010, 11:09 AM
You guys, or maybe the statements you're making, are delusional.

Columbus finished second in our conference and fifth overall (on goal diff v. FCD) and they just added a goal machine to their lineup with Cunny.

Even with a settled roster, TFC is *miles* from their level of play.

I'm a diehard fan (and brand new) SSH, but sometimes you have to acknowledge when a team is better than you.

The Crew have lost 5 STARTERS already from last years team (with a few more possibly leaving for Europe)....on paper they are worse than TFC at the moment....

Derko
12-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Also, with regard to JPA, it's entirely possible that he wanted to go to LA, rather than Toronto, to finish his career. Where would you go to have the best crack at winning for your final year or two?

Agreed, Just look at year 1 with Casey, he didn't want to play at Toronto, I don't care for players who don't want to play for the team that has hired them, there will never be any commitment no matter how talented or not the player may be. My opinion and it is always a good opinion!!! :drinking:

Parkdale
12-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Agreed, Just look at year 1 with Casey, he didn't want to play at Toronto, I don't care for players who don't want to play for the team that has hired them, there will never be any commitment no matter how talented or not the player may be. My opinion and it is always a good opinion!!! :drinking:

yeah..... I doubt JPA would be interested in coming to a team with no known plan for the next season, no history of playing well, and zero trips to the playoffs. At a certain point in your career, you decide that you wont be playing unless you're playing for a contender.

plus it would be better for the 'JPA Brand' for him to be in a city with a big Spanish population. Why come here when he'd be under the microscope and criticized non-stop, when he could go to LA and be a star no matter what happens on the field?

Yagbod
12-16-2010, 11:43 AM
I think the Women's National Team has an excellent chance at winning the World Cup this summer in Germany. They are on a streak of 8 clean sheets. That is crazy. Too bad that more of there matches are not on TV.

rocker
12-16-2010, 11:50 AM
because they moved up in the order by orchestrating a deal with Houston (?). It's a pity we couldn't have thought of that - what did it cost LA ? A 4th rounder ? Some allocation $$$ ?.

Interestingly, AEG owns LAG and over half of the Houston Dynamo.

Basically they traded up with themselves.

MorrisGarage
12-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Man, I am really starting to get discouraged with the lack of activity from TFC. I am worried they will wait till the last possible minute to sign a coach/manager and they we will end up with a thrown together roster like last year. I hope the everything is worth the wait.

DangerRed
12-16-2010, 11:51 AM
The Crew have lost 5 STARTERS already from last years team (with a few more possibly leaving for Europe)....on paper they are worse than TFC at the moment....

Paper doesn't matter. Let's see how we stack up when the ball gets kicked for the first time next season. I expect we won't be as good as they are, even though I hope for the opposite. They're a better managed team with better talent and a good coach.

rocker
12-16-2010, 11:52 AM
yeah..... I doubt JPA would be interested in coming to a team with no known plan for the next season, no history of playing well, and zero trips to the playoffs.

What??? you mean he would rather play with Beckham and Donovan, and his old coach buddy Arena, than JDG, De Ro and a coach yet to be identified!??!?!?!?! ;) ;)

MorrisGarage
12-16-2010, 12:04 PM
What??? you mean he would rather play with Beckham and Donovan, and his old coach buddy Arena, than JDG, De Ro and a coach yet to be identified!??!?!?!?! ;) ;)

Yes, I sure the thought of coming here was met with the same enthusiasm as when Sturgis found out he was signed by TFC

Pachuco
12-16-2010, 12:05 PM
What I mean is, we have plenty of players (1 too many if you ask me) as Center Mids..

"TIght spaces" technique we have in spades, its picking out a player 10-15 yards away that has consitently been our problem.

I don't know where you get this idea that we have 1 too many central midfielders. By my count we have De Guzman, Labrocca and Sturgis. Labrocca is even questionable as to whether he's a central midfield. He's an attacking midfielder while De Guzman and Sturgis are defensive midfielders. I get that we need wide players, but there are plenty of roster spots open to fill those positions with players who play there naturally. Even if Sturgis was brought in to play another position, then we'd be seriously short on central midfielders.

DangerRed
12-16-2010, 12:09 PM
I don't know where you get this idea that we have 1 too many central midfielders. By my count we have De Guzman, Labrocca and Sturgis. Labrocca is even questionable as to whether he's a central midfield. He's an attacking midfielder while De Guzman and Sturgis are defensive midfielders. I get that we need wide players, but there are plenty of roster spots open to fill those positions with players who play there naturally. Even if Sturgis was brought in to play another position, then we'd be seriously short on central midfielders.

What's more, the only thing Labrocca attacks is row 13 in the stands every time he whales on the ball -- unless the wind blows one of his crosses into the net.

Parkdale
12-16-2010, 12:15 PM

and let's not forget going to a city where people actually knows how to pronounce your name.

rocker
12-16-2010, 12:37 PM
What's more, the only thing Labrocca attacks is row 13 in the stands every time he whales on the ball -- unless the wind blows one of his crosses into the net.

it wasn't the wind!!! it was the breath of Dichio!!!

J .
12-16-2010, 12:39 PM

He's a middling 23 year old. He will play midfield or RB. Hes like a Gargan, LaBrocca level, style of player. He's ok. I dont think he's worth a first around pick though.

I dont think we will see many Strugis jerseys around BMO.

sidvan
12-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Sturgis as replacement for JDG during Gold Cup next year?

razor787
12-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Interestingly, AEG owns LAG and over half of the Houston Dynamo.

Basically they traded up with themselves.

That is bullshit. Teams shouldn't be able to do that. Doesn't matter if it was JPA or if it was Garcia. The owners shouldn't be allowed more then one team, for that reason. Especially since teams are allowed to pay half a players salary, and then ship him elsewhere. Houston COULD do that to help Galaxy.

denime
12-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Sturgis as replacement for JDG during Gold Cup next year?

Yeah that's one of the reasons.
I can believe someone at TFC was thinking a whole 8-9 months ahead and realized we have Gold Cup coming next summer.Impressive ;)

Yagbod
12-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Polish Ultra's at a U-12 game. This is unreal:

http://www.thescore.com/buzz/articles/95623-polish-ultras-love-the-kids

(sorry, I'd embed the video it if I had a clue as to how to do that)

TFCRegina
12-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Red Nation Online has an interview with former Vancouver Whitecaps player, and current Finnish Premier League defender Canadian Mason Trafford.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Rednation_Speaks_with_Mason_Trafford_december_16_1 0_feature.shtml

ensco
12-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Yeah that's one of the reasons.
I can believe someone at TFC was thinking a whole 8-9 months ahead and realized we have Gold Cup coming next summer.Impressive ;)

Wait. CM is LaBrocca's natural position. Finding replacements for Gold Cup callups is the least of our problems.

We have holes everywhere, but traded a first rounder so that we could have 3 CMs for most of the year. Doesn't sound so smart to me.

TFCRegina
12-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Wait. CM is LaBrocca's natural position. Finding replacements for Gold Cup callups is the least of our problems.

We have holes everywhere, but traded a first rounder so that we could have 3 CMs for most of the year. Doesn't sound so smart to me.

Disagree.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-16-2010, 06:21 PM
theres no certainty that a first round pick would be able to provide immediate help, where as with sturgis there is