PDA

View Full Version : Portland vs Vancouver

Smokecell
12-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Pretty simple, which team do you think is building better, which team do you think will be better,and who do you think will bring more to the MLS in terms of fan support...

jloome
12-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Vancouver's team looks better on paper so far but Portland will have the more dedicated fan base.

TFCRegina
12-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Dumb questions. I voted Van City off of the first, but Think Portland off of the second. Seperate them.

kodiakTFC
12-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Portland finally just got over the 10,000 seat hump for season tickets sold. I imagine come closer to the season that number will likely rise to 13-12k. Last I remember hearing is Vancouver was at around 16k. So in all likelihood Vancouver will get a much higher attendance (20000 atleast) while Portland will be around 16-18k.

However, I am 100% confident that Portland will have a much more vocal fan support and they'll really elevate the supporter atmosphere in MLS. Portland-Seattle derbys are going to be fantastic. Vancouver will be the lame little brother.

boban
12-14-2010, 03:58 AM
Portland finally just got over the 10,000 seat hump for season tickets sold. I imagine come closer to the season that number will likely rise to 13-12k. Last I remember hearing is Vancouver was at around 16k. So in all likelihood Vancouver will get a much higher attendance (20000 atleast) while Portland will be around 16-18k.

However, I am 100% confident that Portland will have a much more vocal fan support and they'll really elevate the supporter atmosphere in MLS. Portland-Seattle derbys are going to be fantastic. Vancouver will be the lame little brother.
You're talking out of your ass.
We only had about 8,000 late in January.
The season is yet months away.

denime
12-14-2010, 08:54 AM
moved

Ossington Mental Youth
12-14-2010, 09:12 AM
vancouver, seem to have a better more organized FO (even if they are being dicks to the 150 member supporters group), also look to hjave a better team on the field, not sure if theyll be able to pull out the fans int he stands tho

Cashcleaner
12-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Good poll!

I'm going to have to go with Vancouver because the established soccer crowd there is a bit larger and more organised. Hard to gauge who is more loyal or fanatic, but I think Vancouver has the numbers on their side.

Now, if the question is which team is marketing themselves better, I've have to say it's Portland. Their handling of the logo/identity revamp and shirt announcements has been excellent.

__wowza
12-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Dumb questions. I voted Van City off of the first, but Think Portland off of the second. Seperate them.

:facepalm: can't we get through one poll without someone dissecting the question and saying how flawed they think it is?

__wowza
12-14-2010, 09:57 AM
i'd say vancity shot themselves in the foot when the FO started jerking them around on ticket prices. they better bring in big enough names to justify it, or they're going to quickly end up like us.

Shway
12-14-2010, 10:25 AM

same VanC has a better Management, and they are building a good team, but who knows about the fan base...

where as I think portlands management isnt set up, or so to speak have the same structure as Van, but everyone knows portland has a good fan base

TFC/Everton
12-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Jay Demerit was a great singing. He'll bring experience and leadership to the Whitecaps ion their first season. If they sign Keane, they'll be a powerhouse in the pacific north west.

TFCRegina
12-14-2010, 12:15 PM
:facepalm: can't we get through one poll without someone dissecting the question and saying how flawed they think it is?

I'm sorry, I just don't feel like being Parti Quebecois'ed here.

"Do you agree that Québec should become sovereign after having made a formal offer to Canada for a new economic and political partnership within the scope of the bill respecting the future of Québec and of the agreement signed on June 12, 1995?"

kodiakTFC
12-14-2010, 01:58 PM

I laughed. Obscure political jokes are always funny to me though.

__wowza
12-14-2010, 02:06 PM

I laughed. Obscure political jokes are always funny to me though.

had a good laugh at that one too.
that wasn't directed towards you specifically, it's just that whenever there's a poll created, a couple of people always go off and start with the "this question doesn't make sense", "this poll is flawed", "you can't do A without B so i won't answer the thread at all and point out how stupid this is!". it's frustrating as fuck! at least you had a good remedy to it, pointing out how you didn't think it made sense and answered it how you thought it should've been worded.

Jeffro
12-14-2010, 03:38 PM
^Sorry man, but why post a poll with three distinctly different questions and only one answer.

Maybe I think Vancouver will be a better team, and Portland will have better support (for instance). It's not the wording that's flawed, it's the whole poll. You find it frustrating that people point out the polls are flawed, I find it frustrating that people post pointless flawed polls all the time.

prizby
12-14-2010, 03:48 PM
why post a poll when the team isn't even half full yet...i don't get it

shwade
12-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Poor thread starter

Smokecell
12-14-2010, 08:18 PM
^Sorry man, but why post a poll with three distinctly different questions and only one answer.

Maybe I think Vancouver will be a better team, and Portland will have better support (for instance). It's not the wording that's flawed, it's the whole poll. You find it frustrating that people point out the polls are flawed, I find it frustrating that people post pointless flawed polls all the time.

and as such that gives you 3 sepreate answers meaning at the very least one team gets 2 and the other 1...in turn giving you your poll selection. Who knew connecting the dots was so hard

rocker
12-14-2010, 09:20 PM
and as such that gives you 3 sepreate answers meaning at the very least one team gets 2 and the other 1...in turn giving you your poll selection. Who knew connecting the dots was so hard

that assumes no ties ;)

you biased the questions by indicating that one must be better than the other in each category (either/or). Classic survey bias.

Cashcleaner
12-15-2010, 09:12 AM
And another thing, these poll results should be hidden!

Sorry, it's the off-season. How else are we to waste time in here? :D

james
12-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Vancouver better on the field.....but then Portland got a much better stadium, good fan base probably bigger then Vancouver and Portland will possibly have the best atmosphere in the league next year. Ive seen them play in USL and there fans were very loud then....now in MLS it probably will be even bigger and louder!

ensco
12-20-2010, 12:32 AM
I still can't figure out what the heck happened in that expansion draft, with all that traffic in allocations and guys who have declared for Europe - that was a seriously bizarre day. Need to see what follows. Too soon to have an opinion.

twistedchinaman
12-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Hard to tell anything before a ball is kicked in anger.

Both seem to be building good teams so far (edge Vancouver with DeMerit, only slightly though); have good fanbases (edge Portland. Two words: Timber Joey. You figger out the rest); and ticket base is going good so far (edge Portland for not dicking around the Timbers Army).

I gave the edge to Portland, as being a Calgarian...Vancouver's a nice town, but it's sports teams? Nah.