PDA

View Full Version : Mondragon to Philadelphia?

werewolf
12-13-2010, 06:58 PM
http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/startseite.html/545960/artikel_Mondragon-geht---nach-Philadelphia.html

Er war die Reizfigur der Hinrunde: Erst rutschte Faryd Mondragon (39) als Torhüter in die Krise. Nach schwachen Leistungen in Mainz und Freiburg, verlor er seinen Platz im FC-Kasten. Ein Wechsel, den der Kolumbianer selbst durch eine umstrittene Länderspielreise in die USA im Oktober forciert hatte.

Das Torwartproblem beim FC ist damit aber nicht behoben - ganz im Gegenteil: Mondragon wird den FC nach kicker-Informationen nach der Hinrunde definitiv verlassen. Sein Ziel: Die Major League Soccer (MLS) in den USA. Dort zieht es ihn allerdings nicht zu den New York Red Bulls, sondern etwas weiter südwestlich nach Philadelphia! Bei Philadelphia Union spielen auch Mondragons Landsleute Juan Diego Gonzalez und Roger Torres. Der Deal mit Philadelphia soll bereits fix sein, Mondragon pocht angeblich auf eine Absprache mit Ex-Manager Michael Meier, wonach er ablösefrei wechseln dürfe.

Koln are struggling this season. He's 39, but could still be very effective in this league for a few years anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faryd_Aly_Mondrag%C3%B3n

TOBOR !
12-13-2010, 09:22 PM
I remember Liverpool were interested in him... about 6 years ago.

TFCRegina
12-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Don't want him. Too old. No more retirement plan players. Let's grab some younger guys from Latin America and if they turn out to be an Impact player, sign them up for the big bucks.

JamboAl
12-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Mondragon is actually not a bad keeper. But he is getting up there and I think he's done at 1. FC Koeln anyways as he was dropped earlier in the season.

Yohan
12-14-2010, 12:40 PM
people said Donovan Ricketts was done too... though Mondragon is helluva a lot older, but more accomplished/experienced. or Kasey Keller for that matter

not that we need help at GK, but Gk is a position where age isn't that much of matter. (unless you're like 40 something lol)

Milky
12-14-2010, 03:59 PM
I had heard that he's gone from Köln starting in January, but I hadn't heard that he was USA-bound. I wouldn't worry too much about his age. Yes, 39 seems old, but this guy was standing on his head earlier in the Bundesliga season and could more than hold his own in the MLS. It's not a bad pick up if Philadelphia can get him, even if only for a few more seasons before he retires. Mondragon defies his age and is a quality keeper.

London
12-14-2010, 04:41 PM
39 is not too old for a keeper, got a couple seasons left in him for sure

TFC07
12-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Two words for people who are saying Mondragon (what a name btw...lol) is too old: Pat Onstad.

rocker
12-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Casey Keller entered MLS at 39, and is now 41. For keepers it's prob less of an issue.
Philly's goalkeeping was pathetic last year.. Seitz sucked. they need to bridge the gap until they groom a starter.

London
12-14-2010, 05:46 PM
\.
Philly's goalkeeping was pathetic last year.. Seitz sucked. they need to bridge the gap until they groom a starter.

SHITEZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

i bet if you asked him, he would remember me LOL

rocker
12-14-2010, 06:11 PM
SHITEZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

i bet if you asked him, he would remember me LOL

he let in a lot of howlers... including that trickler at BMO one night.

jloome
12-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Casey Keller entered MLS at 39, and is now 41. For keepers it's prob less of an issue.

Meh. Keller looked very old this year. I give him one more at most. Onstad has looked very old for several years. A well-organized defence and a lack of general need for the ability to come out strong (as breaking through the backline in MLS is rare) favour old keepers.

I wouldn't sign any of the three. Better options for less money, and they'll actually be around for a few years.

rocker
12-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Meh. Keller looked very old this year. I give him one more at most. Onstad has looked very old for several years. A well-organized defence and a lack of general need for the ability to come out strong (as breaking through the backline in MLS is rare) favour old keepers.

I wouldn't sign any of the three. Better options for less money, and they'll actually be around for a few years.

Keller looked awesome in his first year in MLS though. When he was out due to suspension, Seattle looked ordinary. This year he was worse, but not awful.

But I think that's the point of signing an old keeper like this -- get someone to bridge the expansion team's gap until they groom a keeper.

But anyone would be better than Seitz!

Milky
12-15-2010, 03:49 AM
Can someone remind me how old Edwin Van Der Sar is? Just sayin... ;)

London
12-15-2010, 04:15 AM
he let in a lot of howlers... including that trickler at BMO one night.

i stood right behind the net in an empty stadium in charleston and "chatted" with him for 90 mins.

at one point he turned and said " are you done yet?" but at that point, about 6-7 other hecklers had come down to my end and helped me razz him.

then all of a sudden , you were not allowed behind the net LOL

rocker
12-15-2010, 12:20 PM
i stood right behind the net in an empty stadium in charleston and "chatted" with him for 90 mins.

at one point he turned and said " are you done yet?" but at that point, about 6-7 other hecklers had come down to my end and helped me razz him.

so it's your fault he had such a bad season... you hurt his confidence in preseason...

Nodoubtguy
12-15-2010, 12:37 PM

ha......that was classic Pat. Was he the one in net for that FK???