PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Canadian Championship

TFCRegina
12-12-2010, 10:44 AM
FC Edmonton will also play in the Canadian Nutrilite Championship, where they will face Toronto FC in the opening round.

http://communities.canada.com/montrealgazette/blogs/goalposts/default.aspx

Looks like the tournament is switching to a knockout elimination format. TFC is the highest seed and will play low seed FC Edmonton.

Vancouver and Montreal will vie for the other spot in the cup final.

flatpicker
12-12-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm confused... maybe because it's Sunday morning.
So, the USL was North America's second tier soccer league...
Then, some teams break off and form the NASL.
Things went to shit, so they tried to blend the two leagues together.
But now, they have separated, and the NASL is the second tier league and USL is 3rd tier?

Anyway... it's nice having another club in the Canadian championship.
But I didn't see anything in the article that says it will be a knockout tournament like you mentioned.

TFCRegina
12-12-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm confused... maybe because it's Sunday morning.
So, the USL was North America's second tier soccer league...
Then, some teams break off and form the NASL.
Things went to shit, so they tried to blend the two leagues together.
But now, they have separated, and the NASL is the second tier league and USL is 3rd tier?

Anyway... it's nice having another club in the Canadian championship.
But I didn't see anything in the article that says it will be a knockout tournament like you mentioned.

FC Edmonton will also play in the Canadian Nutrilite Championship, where they will face Toronto FC in the opening round.

This essentially implies that FCE will not be playing Montreal or Vancouver in the opening round.

Which also implies there is an opening round.

As for USL: the weak teams dropped out of USL-1 to USL-2 (Div 3) and from NASL to USL-2. That is now the USL-Pro Division.

Razcle
12-12-2010, 11:18 AM
^ Hey TFCR - What you just described there could also mean that TFC faces FCE in the opening game (round/week/ect). I don't have any more news to say either way what is happening, however I haven't read anything of a knockout round either.

zeelaw
12-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Good for the league, it gives credibility atleast. They should have earlier rounds for every canadian semi-pro/pro club

Razcle
12-12-2010, 11:59 AM
US open cup style?

TFCRegina
12-12-2010, 01:32 PM
^ Hey TFCR - What you just described there could also mean that TFC faces FCE in the opening game (round/week/ect). I don't have any more news to say either way what is happening, however I haven't read anything of a knockout round either.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?752-Voyageurs-Cup-format-to-change

Darlofletch
12-12-2010, 01:52 PM
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?752-Voyageurs-Cup-format-to-change

that reads to me like he's just specualting based on that one sentence in the original article you posted, though I'm sure the canadiansoccernews people would have extra sources who could have confirmed it off the record.

Canada72
12-12-2010, 03:05 PM
TFC might not play Montreal in Montreal next year, Damn, that was going to be my first TFC road trip. O well, Montreal 2012 will be even better because of the wait.

Carts
12-12-2010, 04:03 PM
The Voyagers Cup should be an open tournament...

Toronto FC & Vancouver receive a pass through the early rounds as they play in the top tier league (Montreal would follow when they enter the MLS)...

Any sanctioned pro/minor pro clubs should be allowed to enter and have it out...

Nothing is better than small clubs making waves in these style of tournaments...

Carts...

ArmenJBX
12-12-2010, 06:33 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/format-nutrilite-canadian-championship-may-change

According to MLS website, we could be moving to a knockout scenario, with us playing Edmonton, and the possibility, therefore, arises where we could end up not playing Montreal.

What do you think? Would the tournament be the same without our rivalry with Montreal?

bgnewf
12-12-2010, 06:34 PM
I proposed something like this format in May with the difference being rather than one game each team plays each other home and away and then we have the final at BMO Field this year as we hold the trophy. (http://bit.ly/aTcd2B, shameless plug)...

Having TFC or Vancouver in particular try and squeeze in six games rather than four is tough considering that there are two additional MLS games that are to be played in 2011 so I get that they want to collectively keep the amount of matches manageable.

But I think they might have gone a bit too far with this. TFC v Edmonton home and away works, and Montreal v Vancouver home ans away for a trip to the final here in Toronto is the way to go. Three games is too little and no TFC trip to either Edmonton or Montreal is not ideal in my eyes.

billyfly
12-12-2010, 06:44 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=25720

Yohan
12-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Or a 3 game single table format, with each team playing other 3 teams once. Top two battle it out that 1st place finisher's stadium for the cup.

Darlofletch
12-12-2010, 09:05 PM
they could keep the same format and just have the mls games between canadian teams also count towards the v-cup. so this year, keep the same format, but tfc and vancouver still only have 4 extra games, and then next year with montreal in mls as well, it'd only be two extra games against edmonton. that way the mls clubs don't have too mnay fixtures to fit in early in the season, and edmonton, who could probably do with the extra, more high profile games, still gets to play them, build rivalries, promote themselves and all that.

before they changed the format after tfc came along, it used to be awarded to the side that had the best head to head record in usl games, so there's precedent to this, and it would certainly give those games an extra importance.

either that or just go with a straight knockout tournament fa cup/us open cup style, opened to basically any club in canada. have a few qualifying rounds regionally with any amateur club that wants to enter, then eventually add in the csl/pdl teams, then have the mls clubs join in at the last 8 or last 16 stage aagainst whoever's qualified.

Darlofletch
12-12-2010, 09:18 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/format-nutrilite-canadian-championship-may-change

bit more official confirmation that discussions are taking place, two legged semi final followed by one off final.

boban
12-12-2010, 09:22 PM
I don't like this new format.

boban
12-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Don't like this new format.
its only four teams. This just reaks of playing to MLSE

TFCUNITED
12-12-2010, 09:39 PM

Toronto FC & Vancouver receive a pass through the early rounds as they play in the top tier league (Montreal would follow when they enter the MLS)...

Any sanctioned pro/minor pro clubs should be allowed to enter and have it out...

Nothing is better than small clubs making waves in these style of tournaments...

Carts...

+1. Would make it pretty interesting to see small clubs go on long runs.

nfitz
12-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Don't like this new format.
its only four teams. This just reaks of playing to MLSESooner or late the play everyone format doesn't work, with more 2nd tier Canadian teams in the works.

We have to go to this sooner or later.

And perhaps this format will let CSA teams in as well.

nfitz
12-12-2010, 09:56 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=25720This post seems to link back to this thread.

werewolf
12-12-2010, 09:57 PM
This post seems to link back to this thread.

threads were merged.

Darlofletch
12-12-2010, 09:57 PM
This post seems to link back to this thread.

probably a seperate thread that got merged after the fact.

Redpunkfiddle
12-12-2010, 10:21 PM
High stakes, high intensity.

Oldtimer
12-13-2010, 09:58 AM
The semifinal would be a two-leg aggregate affair, and the final would be hosted by the highest seed.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/12/changes-ncc-anticipated

So TFC will play in Edmonton. Final will be at BMO, assuming TFC beats Edmonton.

boban
12-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Sooner or late the play everyone format doesn't work, with more 2nd tier Canadian teams in the works.

We have to go to this sooner or later.

And perhaps this format will let CSA teams in as well.
Timing is everything and its waaay too soon.
If the current format is kept you only add 1 home and 1 away game. Not a biggie. And the regular season is not that long to begin with.
Like Jurgen said : MLS players have to play more to commit more, play more to understand what it is to be a pro football player.

deltox
12-13-2010, 10:02 AM
so next yrs season ticket package will have 1 home game for us?

boban
12-13-2010, 10:05 AM
so next yrs season ticket package will have 1 home game for us?
You know I was thinking the same thing as I posted last.
MLSE knew full well that the NCC was going to be altered with the increase of the MLS schedule, yet they sold the second game on the assumption they would win the first round. What pretentious pricks.

scooter
12-13-2010, 10:14 AM

Carts...

yes that would be brilliant

sort of canadian fa cup

Oldtimer
12-13-2010, 10:24 AM
You know I was thinking the same thing as I posted last.
MLSE knew full well that the NCC was going to be altered with the increase of the MLS schedule, yet they sold the second game on the assumption they would win the first round. What pretentious pricks.

You don't think TFC will win?

I expect there would be a lot of people who would be willing to lay bets with you in that case.

Chewy Unikronik
12-13-2010, 10:37 AM

Carts...
Naaaaah... That would be way too much fun, and makes just as much sense. :rolleyes:

boban
12-13-2010, 10:46 AM

I expect there would be a lot of people who would be willing to lay bets with you in that case.
Its not whether I expect them to win or not. Its the assumption from FO that they would.
BTW, wasn't that one of the problems from the ruckess of the release of the 2011 season ticket package? Or are we suffering form amnesia?

Redcoe15
12-13-2010, 11:10 AM

They'd better fuckin' win against a first year D2 squad, is all I'm sayin'.

As for the new format, I'm not sure what to make of it. I liked the idea of a home and home series against fellow Canadian teams. But, after the anticlimactic ending to the NCC, a championship game to determin a winner never hurts.

TFC1154ever
12-13-2010, 11:14 AM

Probably going to be a home and away against Edmonton, and if we win, will host Montreal or Vancouver in the finals in a one game leg.

nfitz
12-13-2010, 11:21 AM
MLSE knew full well that the NCC was going to be altered with the increase of the MLS schedule, yet they sold the second game on the assumption they would win the first round.Good grief, when MLSE started selling ticket packages, they were talking of up to 3 Voyageur Cup games at BMO Field.

Clearly MLSE didn't know what the final plan was back then - at least at the start of season ticket sales.

What pretentious pricks.An interesting choice of words ...

jloome
12-13-2010, 11:43 AM
They'd better fuckin' win against a first year D2 squad, is all I'm sayin'.

As for the new format, I'm not sure what to make of it. I liked the idea of a home and home series against fellow Canadian teams. But, after the anticlimactic ending to the NCC, a championship game to determin a winner never hurts.

LOL, FC Edmonton scored 21 goals in two games last year against PDL teams. In fact, I believe it was shortly after they'd tied the Portland Timbers 3-3 that Victoria lost 5-0 to Edmonton.

I realize that's two levels below MLS, but I would've had a hard time imagining that level of unity against ANY opponent from our team last year. So don't expect them to be a complete walk.

Mark in Ottawa
12-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Pardon my attack of "oldtimers" here... TFC, Vancouver, Montreal... check.
Teams that play in MLS or USL.

How did Edmonton get chosen as team # 4??
Are they champions of some lower level league?
Did they win some sort of "FA" tournament?

boban
12-13-2010, 12:13 PM

From my understanding is that Edmonton moved up to one league below MLS.
This year they will play in the same league as the Impact.

TFCRegina
12-13-2010, 02:59 PM

Montreal is a member of the North American Soccer League and a professional soccer team.

FC Edmonton is the newest member of the North American Soccer League and a professional soccer team. They have been in existence for about 9 months, but have not played a league match. They will participate in the NASL in the 2011 season.

Their team consists mostly of young Prairie talent (and was being developed by two dutch coaches with UEFA Pro Licenses prior to their departure for Japan) and older dutch players.

BS1327
12-13-2010, 03:34 PM
I like the idea of a 6 team tounament.

Give Toronto (2010 Winners) and Vancouver (MLS) byes to the second round, then have Montreal play York Region (CSL League Champs) and Edmonton play Brantford (CSL Playoff Champs). Winners move one. Then when Montreal joins MLS 2012, have the highest seed MLS team get the bye.