PDA

View Full Version : Academy location narrowed down

rocker
12-11-2010, 11:15 PM
in an article on Richard Peddie today in the Star, there was this juicy tidbit about the academy complex:

"a multi-million-dollar indoor/outdoor training facility for the baby of MLSE’s sports properties, TFC, in Vaughan or at Downsview."

I had not heard they had narrowed it down to those two choices.
Downsview would be a pretty good location. Vaughan's not bad either, although getting there would be more difficult for kids and parents.. plus the traffic can be a bitch getting up there. I wonder if it would be close to the new subway line -- that would eliminate the driving issue, I guess.

stoked
12-12-2010, 12:40 AM
C'mon downsview

dupont
12-12-2010, 01:38 AM
Downsview is much better than Vaughan. Anything in the world is better than Vaughan though.

prizby
12-12-2010, 01:39 AM
I think (and from what I have heard), it is somewhat dependent on what type of sponsors they can get and if they can get free/cheap land. Vaughn, I have no issue with, if it isn't the weekday afternoon trying to go there. Downsview, I wouldn't have an issue with at all (thats by the old airport/Canadian Armed Forces Air Base/The Hanger)?

its too bad, cuz i heard there were four options with one of them being a lakeshore option...but i guess it didn't work out

razor787
12-12-2010, 02:17 AM
I dont know if they would actually even go through with this. If they sell, they wont be selling any of their real estate. So why would they invest money into building a building, if they are going to sell the team, and will end up with a training academy they cant really get any use out of.

Even though there is talk about it, I dont know if it will actually take place (unless a sale wont be happening for a number of years)

Nestease
12-12-2010, 08:12 AM
I dont know if they would actually even go through with this. If they sell, they wont be selling any of their real estate. So why would they invest money into building a building, if they are going to sell the team, and will end up with a training academy they cant really get any use out of.

Even though there is talk about it, I dont know if it will actually take place (unless a sale wont be happening for a number of years)

When they mention real estate, they're referring to the condominiums and restaurants. I'm sure this building would be included in any sale package.

Parkdale
12-12-2010, 09:02 AM
anyone else hoping they just keep the academy games at Lamport?

denime
12-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Downsview has already 3 artificial and 1 grass field build.

It is very much Central location for GTA parents,401/Allen Rd./Subway,it would make more sense than Vaughan or Lakeshore.You have to look what is easier for parents and kids and any downtown location is definitely not.Most of Academy kids are from outside Toronto central area.Vaughan,Mississauga,Brampton,North York,Scarborough etc.

Only problem all fields are privately operated already and I think Downsview is still federal land not City of Toronto.

Pookie
12-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Downsview has already 3 artificial and 1 grass field build.

It is very much Central location for GTA parents,401/Allen Rd./Subway,it would make more sense than Vaughan or Lakeshore.You have to look what is easier for parents and kids and any downtown location is definitely not.Most of Academy kids are from outside Toronto central area.Vaughan,Mississauga,Brampton,North York,Scarborough etc.

Only problem all fields are privately operated already and I think Downsview is still federal land not City of Toronto.

I agree with your reasoning but not your conclusion.

Vaughan would make the most logical location for parents outside the "Toronto Central Area."

My son is in another Academy program and a very high percentage of these kids are not from Toronto. We generally train at facilities around the 407, highway 7 area. You should hear the complaining when we switch to the Esther Shiner Stadium at Bathurst and Finch.

As you point out, parents of academy players probably live in the suburbs. Preference is to go door to door and the prospect for many, to commute back into the city after work, is about as appealing as root canal.

Even if the TTC were an option, academy parents, generally speaking, are not going to be taking the TTC for a couple of reasons. Younger players train after school and after dinner during the week. Sessions go till 8pm. Convenience of driving and getting them home on a school night takes precedence.

Older Academy players start their sessions after the younger ones have left.
Parents of these players are not that interested in being with their kids on a subway at 10pm.

Let's not forget that these parents are generally well off in order to afford the thousands of dollars that these programs command. They like their wheels. They would like a location close to home for reasons of convenience.

Vaughan would be a perfect location.

BeerBaron95
12-12-2010, 10:15 AM

Vaughan would make the most logical location for parents outside the "Toronto Central Area."

My son is in another Academy program and a very high percentage of these kids are not from Toronto. We generally train at facilities around the 407, highway 7 area. You should hear the complaining when we switch to the Esther Shiner Stadium at Bathurst and Finch.

As you point out, parents of academy players probably live in the suburbs. Preference is to go door to door and the prospect for many, to commute back into the city after work, is about as appealing as root canal.

Even if the TTC were an option, academy parents, generally speaking, are not going to be taking the TTC for a couple of reasons. Younger players train after school and after dinner during the week. Sessions go till 8pm. Convenience of driving and getting them home on a school night takes precedence.

Parents of these players are not that interested in being with their kids on a subway at 10pm.

Let's not forget that these parents are generally well off in order to afford the thousands of dollars that these programs command. They like their wheels. They would like a location close to home for reasons of convenience.

Leave it at Downsview

denime
12-12-2010, 11:51 AM

Parents of PRIVATE academy players probably live in the suburbs,however Let's not forget TFC Academy is INVITATIONAL ONLY and how well off are parents mean absolutely nothing.

Since your reasoning is based on private academies who are taking even a house league players as long parents can dish out 3-5 K per year TFC Academy is skill oriented were the best kids will make cut and not how much $$$ parents are able to spend.

So looking that way Downsview is more logical and better location than Vaughan.

rocker
12-12-2010, 11:52 AM
this is also the TFC training facility for the first team, so Downsview would probably be the best for them -- closer to BMO. Players could also go up there on the subway from their downtown condos if they missed the team bus! ;)

They'd just drive the bus up Dufferin from BMO to Downsview, eh?

now, if they ever come up with the Downtown Relief Subway Line, one could go all the way on the subway from the new Vaughan city centre subway station to BMO.

denime
12-12-2010, 11:58 AM
^ True,

Most of the 1st team can't afford a :auto: so TTC is logical solution.:D

BeerBaron95
12-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Leave it at Downsview.. nuff said lol

:flare::flare:

Macksam
12-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Isn't the academy going to turn into a residency soon? Why would traffic be taken into consideration?

rocker
12-12-2010, 12:32 PM
also, the highschool many of the academy boys attend is only a short drive to Downsview or short subway ride for them when they need to get up there after school. i think they can walk from the school to the Eglinton subway in 10 minutes.

Pookie
12-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Parents of PRIVATE academy players probably live in the suburbs,however Let's not forget TFC Academy is INVITATIONAL ONLY and how well off are parents mean absolutely nothing.

Since your reasoning is based on private academies who are taking even a house league players as long parents can dish out 3-5 K per year TFC Academy is skill oriented were the best kids will make cut and not how much $$$ parents are able to spend.

So looking that way Downsview is more logical and better location than Vaughan.

But where is TFC Academy scouting their majority of their players? It isn't at xyz house league tournament. The CAP (partnership with TFC Academy) program does include Club teams as well as an Academy. That's where the bulk of the scouting and co-development takes place.

It's one thing to say invitation only but if the invitations go to players from certain pools, there is a good chance that a large percentage of those players would come from these programs.

Regardless of whether an individual plays Private or in a Club system, the fact of the matter is that Rep soccer (and supplemental training) are expensive. That generally correlates with a higher income or a large percentage of disposable income being spent on the sport.

It is very admirable that TFC Academy seeks to ensure that economics aren't a barrier.

If the Academy is indeed a residency then location isn't a major factor for Senior players. But the plans for the Academy include Youth Teams for U12-16 as well as a "Stage 1" program for players as young as U7. If these are to be incorporated going forward, location is indeed still a factor.

Particularly since the only clubs currently in their CAP program (partnership program where they scout) include Barrie SC, Bryst International, Capital United SC (Ottawa), Cavan FC, Pickering SC, Nepean Hotspurs SC, Thunder Bay Chill, and Unionville-Milliken SC. Not too many of those parents are living near the 401.

Beach_Red
12-12-2010, 01:57 PM
The comment about where the academy would be located came in an article about business- about how MLSE were looking to expand the Real Sports restaurant nationwide and about what a great job Peddie has done bringing in money. He joked about finding someone to take over the Rico lease. How far down the list of priorities for the academy do you think the concerns of the players and parents are?

If Vaughn is willing to put up enough money and land, that's where the academy will be. If the federal government is willing to give up the land in Downsview and some other
level of government is willing to kick in, then that's where the academy will be.

How long have we been following this company?

Pookie
12-12-2010, 02:11 PM

About as long as they've been following corporate welfare. Point well taken.

rocker
12-12-2010, 02:15 PM
The comment about where the academy would be located came in an article about business- about how MLSE were looking to expand the Real Sports restaurant nationwide and about what a great job Peddie has done bringing in money. He joked about finding someone to take over the Rico lease. How far down the list of priorities for the academy do you think the concerns of the players and parents are?

If Vaughn is willing to put up enough money and land, that's where the academy will be. If the federal government is willing to give up the land in Downsview and some other
level of government is willing to kick in, then that's where the academy will be.

I understand the position. But either location is a good one. In other words, either one could be good business for MLSE and still be good for parents and kids.

If they'd chosen some site in Oshawa or Newmarket just because those towns were willing to pay for everything, I think I'd agree with your argument. But they've narrowed it down to two sites that are relatively close to BMO. They aren't going to put it in some far off municipality like Oakville.

Downsview is still a great site for this, and it's only 12km from BMO Field. Vaughan is not as good, in my opinion, but not awful, particularly if it's located well (near highways, not far from new subway line coming).

billyfly
12-12-2010, 02:22 PM
I prefer Downsview but I agree with Beach Red's comments on MLSE's M.O.

Pure spec but...maybe MLSE swaps BMO field to the Argos and builds somewhere else if Vaughan give them a large swath of land.

BeerBaron95
12-12-2010, 02:24 PM
I prefer Downsview but I agree with Beach Red's comments on MLSE's M.O.

Pure spec but...maybe MLSE swaps BMO field to the Argos and builds somewhere else if Vaughan give them a large swath of land.

TFC will stay downtown and not go up to Vaughn

billyfly
12-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Don't think so either but this thread needs more gossip.

BeerBaron95
12-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Don't think so either but this thread needs more gossip.

lol.. ok, carry on then

mmmikey
12-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Take it from someone who commutes through north york daily and plays weekly at the hanger... Downsview park is hugely more accesible than bathurst/finch area in the evening. Downsview Park is a great middle ground.

scooter
12-12-2010, 03:09 PM
how about richmond hill by the 404 that would be convenient for me

BeerBaron95
12-12-2010, 03:23 PM
how about richmond hill by the 404 that would be convenient for me

Nope.. Downsview

:flare:

Carts
12-12-2010, 03:58 PM
I think Downsview would be a perfect location...

Its located just north of the 401 for linking up the suburbs. Its on the TTC line (subway then bus loop) for the city transit riders...

It already has a 'football' crowd going there regularly for men's and coed football leagues...

Carts...

nfitz
12-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Players could also go up there on the subway from their downtown condos if they missed the team bus!Surely players and TFC staff would simply be based out there, and only make special trips into BMO Field.

C.Ronaldo
12-13-2010, 09:36 AM
wouldnt the possible new mississauga stadium/ pitch for the pan am games be a good choice?

Cashcleaner
12-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Oshawa.

I mean Downsview. :D

Seriously, they've got the land out there and it would be much easier for people to get to. Downsview is located more centrally in the GTA than Vaughan. Christiano makes a good point about the proposed Pan-Am Games Stadium, however. Might be more cost-effective that way.

boban
12-13-2010, 09:54 AM
wouldnt the possible new mississauga stadium/ pitch for the pan am games be a good choice?
I don't think Mississauga is getting it as it looks like Hamilton is sorting out the issue of the stadium to get it.
Also, the academy needs multiple fields, which Mississauga is running out of space to accommodate. Although I think somewhere on the Mississauga-Brampton border space can be found for this.

kitchener-TFC
12-13-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm supportive of the Downsview location. Regarding the academy, are any scouts looking at highschool teams, where economic barriers typically do not exist?

bman27
12-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Oshawa.

I mean Downsview. :D

Hey now, remember how well the last Mlse managed facility in Oshawa went:facepalm:

Cashcleaner
12-14-2010, 07:48 AM
^ All the city needed to do was hand them the property, mortgage the PUC to pay for construction, and the whole thing was gonna be a goldmine! A goldmine, I tells ya!

I think it took a grand total of two years for the city the tear up their contract with MLSE and bring in a new company to take over operations

Whoop
12-14-2010, 10:33 AM
I go with Downsview.

Gobi
12-14-2010, 01:16 PM
I can't believe this thread didn't include a poll!