PDA

View Full Version : Perfect DP?

Thrillos
12-05-2010, 09:24 AM
So I was reading some bundesliga news and saw podolski's name. It got me thinking, he left Bayern to play at FC Koln, who is not in the champs league or even in the Europa League, and they won't be anytime soon. The only reason he went there was because he wasn't liking Bayern anymore and Low told him that moving to Koln wouldn't hurt his International Career.

So as a player he is the perfect DP, he can play as an out and out striker, or he can move to the wing and be a deadly distance shooter or pin point crosser. Which means he's versatile depending on our injury possibilities that will no doubt occur within a season. On top of that he is strong, and lightning quick, something that is important for MLS. He is still only 25 which is awesome. Normally I would think there is no way he would leave europe, but like previously mentioned he isn't playing in europe anyway (ie. champs or europa). So essentially we would just need Low to assure him again that his international career would be ok with a move to MLS.

Now obviously alot depends on whether or not he would want to leave the team that started his career and the fact that they paid 10 million for him and would most likely want that as a fee. But, if he is playing for Koln, his salary can't be that high.

We sign him for 3 years for example, 3.3 million per year for the transfer then say 2 million a year for his salary. So MLSE shells out 5 mil a year for a player that we could also easily sell back to Europe in 3 or 4 years at easily the same price or depending on how good he plays here, substantially more.

I could be missing reasons for why he wouldn't consider the move. but obviously our new "consultant" could help persuade him.

Thoughts????

Yeoman
12-05-2010, 09:26 AM
will never happen
koln is the team he grew up with, and supported. he was severely home sick through out his whole time in bayern. as well, he didn't not like that added attention that all the media gave him while in bayern.
hey, his words not mine.

prizby
12-05-2010, 09:36 AM
transfer fee...

perfect dp might be gareth bale or lio messi...also won't happen

Thrillos
12-05-2010, 09:54 AM
will never happen
koln is the team he grew up with, and supported. he was severely home sick through out his whole time in bayern. as well, he didn't not like that added attention that all the media gave him while in bayern.
hey, his words not mine.

Ya I thought I remembered something about that but I wasn't sure, so i guess that clears it up then. He would be a great pick up though.

Prizby, if you actually think that Bale and Messi are on the same radar as Podolski I have lost total respect for anything you post.

Yeoman
12-05-2010, 10:05 AM
while don't get me wrong, i would be over the moon if podolski was here, he did some amazing stuff while at bayern. i haven't followed koln as much. then again, i haven't really followed the bundesliga much this year. i should do more of that.
but podolski is prone to his mistakes that he does.

colman1860
12-05-2010, 10:42 AM
I disagree with the statement that Podolski did amazing stuff at Bayern. The only reason he's still on the National team is because he plays amazingly well for them, while he's crap with his club.

Having seen his personality (and intelligence level) in "Deutschland: ein Sommermaerchen", I am also certain that he would not do well in a foreign country with a different language.

Juanito
12-05-2010, 11:23 AM
^^

Listen to this man. He KNOWS Bundesliga.

ArmenJBX
12-05-2010, 11:38 AM
The Perfect DP for this side right now is Raul Gonzalez.
Still young(ish), great strike rate, legendary status, a leader on the field and off of it, and a team player first. Doesn't boast an incredible ego and is a real goalscorer.

He'd light up BMO Field, much like he did when Madrid came to town last year.

Yeoman
12-05-2010, 12:39 PM
I disagree with the statement that Podolski did amazing stuff at Bayern.

I did say some. I know he sucks at club level.
You can't tell me he always played like crap at Bayern.

phonzo
12-05-2010, 01:08 PM
why is the view on this board that DP's are the only solution for us to succeed?

Colorado and Dallas don't have any.... just sayin

SilverSamurai
12-05-2010, 01:31 PM
I disagree with the statement that Podolski did amazing stuff at Bayern. The only reason he's still on the National team is because he plays amazingly well for them, while he's crap with his club.

Having seen his personality (and intelligence level) in "Deutschland: ein Sommermaerchen", I am also certain that he would not do well in a foreign country with a different language.
Sounds like the Gerba syndrome. (no I'm not comparing the 2) Just saying how they both play much better for the national team vs. their clubs.

69Chevy396
12-05-2010, 01:41 PM
The new GM will be hard pressed to persuade his mlse boss that a dp will help this club, considering the utter failure of mista, and the lackluster contributions that JDG offers. The later would likely have to go before a risk is taken with a high priced european, unless they can land a marque player and sponge off his endorsement value. Why would Raul want to come to Canada to play in a third tier league? He can stay closer to home, make just as much money, and not have to risk injury playing in a league filled with dirty tacklers?

Azerban
12-05-2010, 07:32 PM

where do i find a english dubbed/subbed version of this

Stouffville_RPB
12-06-2010, 01:51 PM
why is the view on this board that DP's are the only solution for us to succeed?

Because DP's are alot more fun to talk about than John Smith.

Roogsy
12-06-2010, 01:53 PM

Because without DPs, the only way for a team to succeed is to build from the ground up. Has TFC been able to show ability to do that? Not yet. Maybe going forward under a new management structure but there is no evidence that this new management will be any more effective than the old one therefore the only real impact can be found through a DP...for now.

ACSertL
12-06-2010, 02:19 PM

He played OK at Bayern, but when playing for Germany he's a completely different player.

Also it was Jurgen Klinsmann that stuck his ass to the bench in favour of Luca Toni which caused Podolski to express his desire to leave Bayern.

JonO
12-06-2010, 02:21 PM
We sign him for 3 years for example, 3.3 million per year for the transfer then say 2 million a year for his salary.
My understanding of the salary cap and transfer fees lead me to believe that not only would he be our DP at that price, but he's also be our only player. Transfer fees count against the cap.

Yeoman
12-06-2010, 03:08 PM
He played OK at Bayern, but when playing for Germany he's a completely different player.

Also it was Jurgen Klinsmann that stuck his ass to the bench in favour of Luca Toni which caused Podolski to express his desire to leave Bayern.

probably

jabbronies
12-06-2010, 03:16 PM
transfer fee...

perfect dp might be gareth bale or lio messi...also won't happen

wait...perfect for TFC? MLS in general?

Aside from the biggest names from each league at the moment, who would be a realistic DP target?

Yeoman
12-06-2010, 03:18 PM
personally i'm more interested in suckering someone from a mid to bottom level team in the EPL, Bundesliga, or even chancing La Liga personally.

J .
12-06-2010, 04:05 PM
I think we should try to get Angel or GBS for a year to pair up with Barrett and DeRo.

colman1860
12-07-2010, 02:51 AM
where do i find a english dubbed/subbed version of this

I've heard (on IMDB message boards, which may not be the most reliable source) that for some sort of player privacy or copyright reasons the film has not been allowed to be subtitled/dubbed. Doesn't make a ton of sense to me, but I'm not in the film or sports business industry...

colman1860
12-07-2010, 02:52 AM

Of course he had days where he was better than others, but 4 goals in one season for a national team striker (yes, i know he's now used on the left) is pretty consistent suckage.

Yeoman
12-07-2010, 06:34 AM
can't argue with that

BFin
12-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Because without DPs, the only way for a team to succeed is to build from the ground up. Has TFC been able to show ability to do that? Not yet. Maybe going forward under a new management structure but there is no evidence that this new management will be any more effective than the old one therefore the only real impact can be found through a DP...for now.

Have our DP choices really been any better than our young core?

"THE PAGE"
12-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Dont know how accurtate this can be but I heard from someone close to FO and soccer solutions that Klinsmann is working on Miroslav Klose.

Ryan1984
12-08-2010, 01:52 PM
No team with a DP has won MLS cup since it was introduced in 2007

ag futbol
12-08-2010, 08:06 PM
No team with a DP has won MLS cup since it was introduced in 2007
Ah but statistics can be used to prove just about anything. Did you know that teams that made the playoffs this year were more likely to have a designated player on their roster as opposed to those that didn't?

In the end, if you have any player on your roster in the mid 300's or up the practical implication is that he's putting you in the same spot cap wise a DP would.

werewolf
12-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Of course he had days where he was better than others, but 4 goals in one season for a national team striker (yes, i know he's now used on the left) is pretty consistent suckage.

Its twice as many as he had last season LOL and 4 more then Carsten Jancker had in 01-02 ;)

Speaking of which, Carsten Jancker to TFC.

Technorgasm
12-10-2010, 08:33 PM
carmella bing. . .