PDA

View Full Version : THE ACADEMY is the key to the future

trane
12-03-2010, 12:08 PM
This is a team game. No one player will bring success, and there are not enough players around north america to build a team that will be succesfull in the long term. Therefore our academy will be key, for succes, we need to adopt a style of play, and teach it to our youthplayers, develop and then build teams based on this tallent, bringing only some key players in.

If this happens we may acctualy develop a great organization, as we are doing now, we make the playoffs but we will never have long term lasting succes. Clearly with the sallary cap you can not buy a team so you have to develop it.

prizby
12-03-2010, 12:16 PM
look at the barca - RM game

8 of Barca's starters were Barca academy products. Only 1 of RM's starters was an RM academy product

trane
12-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Good point. RM can at least buy player, with the MLS rules even that is limited. You have to develop.

Parkdale
12-03-2010, 12:43 PM
look at the barca - RM game

8 of Barca's starters were Barca academy products. Only 1 of RM's starters was an RM academy product

comparing our situation at TFC to the situation of the two biggest
clubs in Spain (and two of the biggest in the whole world) get this....

http://forums.revora.net/style_emoticons/default/facepalm.gif

I was saving that for something special.

The Barcelona academy is legendary, longstanding and attracts prospects from all over the world.
Comparing ours to theirs is like comparing the MLS to the EPL (something people like to do, but really means nothing)

I agree with trane's point though - the academy is our future BUT not by itself.
Better scouting of the NCAA is a big part of our future. International scouting that works
(not just sending Mo to Brazil) is a key to our success.

There are lots of things we need to improve upon if we ever want to have a real shot at dominating this league.

Section 117
12-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Our academy should provide depth for our squad at best, because if the kids coming through are EXTREMELY talented they won't be playing in the MLS period....

If we luck out and find the occasional diamond then so be it, but my expectation for the academy is to provide depth just like it has done with Henry and the Lindasy.

London
12-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Good point. RM can at least buy player, with the MLS rules even that is limited. You have to develop.

this i agree with

__wowza
12-03-2010, 12:51 PM
academy strength is nothing new.
you raise proper talents to fit your style of play, or to adopt into a new style of play. if those talents don't fit your particular brand of football, it doesn't mean they aren't phenomenal, it just means they don't mesh and can be sold (normally for a pretty good price) which would equal a return on your investment.

just like trophy manager :D

Pookie
12-03-2010, 05:39 PM
I have a son in the Academy system that has ties into TFC's. Very pleased with the emphasis on youth development over and above what I've seen with the Club system.

Given salary caps and player movement, having a strong Academy is key and it appears as though they are getting their stuff together.

Yeoman
12-03-2010, 05:41 PM
now if we could only get people to come out and watch it with me.

trane
12-03-2010, 05:49 PM
^ I will be watching alot of CSL next year, including Academy.

London
12-03-2010, 05:57 PM
i am glad alot of people are showing interest in the academy and the CSL

before this season, the CSL was kinda like a guilty pleasure, i went but did not realy tell people about it LOL

TFC07
12-03-2010, 05:59 PM
TFC needs to have younger teams. Just having U-16 and U-18 team isn't enough to develop players.

Yeoman
12-03-2010, 06:07 PM
they have connections to various teams under that age across the gta

prizby
12-03-2010, 06:20 PM
before expanding their academy to younger players, TFC needs to have academy facilities to do this

Yeoman
12-04-2010, 06:16 AM
they need to be allowed back at BMO for one in my personal opinion

Pookie
12-04-2010, 10:17 AM
TFC needs to have younger teams. Just having U-16 and U-18 team isn't enough to develop players.

Like Yeoman says, they have connections to teams.

There is interaction at the coaching level with those teams. Players from various Academies and some clubs, will be identified for TFC Academy at an appropriate age. Coaches tend to follow a similar development philosophy.

It's a good way to expand their influence without expanding their costs. We routinely see TFC personnel at my son's Academy training sessions.

Darlofletch
12-04-2010, 11:14 AM
I believe the children are our future.

I agree with whoever said above, that the only long term players we'll get through the academy will be average depth players. if they're very good, we'll get them for a year or two when they're promising before selling them on rather than having them be stars of our team for years and years. the unfortunate reality of being a feeder league.

having said that, a steady stream of youngsters who are already familiar with each other and our style of play to fill out the squad would be a very good thing.

TFCRegina
12-04-2010, 11:17 AM
CSL is the best place you can be watching football right now if you want to support the Canadian game. TFCA plays there, Impact Academy plays there, and there's a host of teams that use young players on part-time bases. The other thing is that the CSL has committed to an Academy program next year, and that will be leading to serious improvements in players available as well.

Luanda
12-04-2010, 12:28 PM
All of this is true. But at the moment we have but 16 players (excluding Gomez):
Kocic / Conway/ Frei
Henry / Attakora /Cann /Harden
Gargan / Sturgis / DG / LaBrocca
Lindsay / DeRo / Peterson / Santos / Barrett

We are facing a major overhaul, once again. And some of the above may also not return!

TFCRegina
12-04-2010, 12:41 PM
All of this is true. But at the moment we have but 16 players (excluding Gomez):
Kocic / Conway/ Frei
Henry / Attakora /Cann /Harden
Gargan / Sturgis / DG / LaBrocca
Lindsay / DeRo / Peterson / Santos / Barrett

We are facing a major overhaul, once again. And some of the above may also not return!

Guess we'll either have to use that locked down third round :rolleyes: or pull some guys up from the Academy. Or sign people from the CSL/PDL/South America/NASL.

deeznutz
12-04-2010, 11:15 PM
The thread title speaks enough for itself!

+1

Macksam
12-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Our academy should provide depth for our squad at best, because if the kids coming through are EXTREMELY talented they won't be playing in the MLS period....

If we luck out and find the occasional diamond then so be it, but my expectation for the academy is to provide depth just like it has done with Henry and the Lindasy.
That will be the situation until MLS becomes a top ten league world wide.

TFCRegina
12-05-2010, 09:46 PM

Disagreed.

If that was the case, then European clubs wouldn't discover gems in Latin American leagues. Kids come through the clubs and may play 1-3 years in the leagues before being sold. But that's what MLS needs to do in order to build profits that can propel them to the next level in football in terms of attracting players.