PDA

View Full Version : Garcia - GONE

Parkdale
12-03-2010, 09:57 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/12/tfc-decides-three

Toronto FC has decided to not pick up the 2011 options on Fuad Ibrahim, Amadou Sanyang and Nick Garcia. Garcia is the only Toronto FC player eligible for the Major League Soccer re-entry draft on December 8th.

“This is yet another necessary step as we look toward building our 2011 squad,” said Earl Cochrane, Toronto FC interim director of soccer.

“With Nick we simply couldn’t find a way to make him fit within our current budget situation. If we lose Nick through this re-entry process, we will miss his leadership and experience and wish him all the best in the future.”

“We will evaluate shortly where or how Fuad and Amadou might fit into our 2011 plans.”

Sorry to see Ibby and Sanyang go, but not that much.

KdotOdot
12-03-2010, 09:58 AM
embed the Lou Reeds Pefect day right about now! Maybe the Pavorotti version. It's worth it!!

Pinkie
12-03-2010, 09:59 AM
woooow

maninb
12-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Excellent!!! Garcia and Ibrahim were excess garbage...If Sanyang wants to come back as a depth player on small wages then fine....

Parkdale
12-03-2010, 10:04 AM
at least this is one player who won't be coming back to score against us at BMO
(James, Robbinson, Casey, OBWhite, Gerba.....)

billyfly
12-03-2010, 10:06 AM
The day is here.

I never hated him as much as some people but there were days I wanted Nick's head on a stick.

Parkdale
12-03-2010, 10:06 AM
embed the Lou Reeds Pefect day right about now! Maybe the Pavorotti version. It's worth it!!

about about the All-Star Cast?

j2JXy1Z9ovs

tfcleeds
12-03-2010, 10:07 AM
And there was much rejoicing.....

Lucky Strike
12-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Excellent!!! Garcia and Ibrahim were excess garbage...If Sanyang wants to come back as a depth player on small wages then fine....

Youpi!

I've hate lots of hate for Garcia (even more so than Velez) but even I have to admit that after a brutal start to the season, he became a lot better (or perhaps it's better to say a lot less worse) and competent at LB. However, 190K was waaaaaay too much. This decision makes plenty of sense. Plus we know he has the capacity to be truly dreadful and shambolic - what if he were to return to that form? Yuck.

Ibrahim - Probably a little unfair as he's still really young and could have developed better in the return of the reserve league but he was GA and probably isn't anymore. He would continue to expect GA-like wages (he made 133K last year) and for what he brings, that's even less feasible than Garcia's cap hit.

Though I have to point out that I'm a little disappointed with the Sanyang decision - I thought he was already a depth player that earned small wages (46.5K).

Thoughts?

billyfly
12-03-2010, 10:09 AM
And there was much rejoicing.....

"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and fruit bats, and breakfast cereals, and orangutans. ..."

razor787
12-03-2010, 10:09 AM
at least this is one player who won't be coming back to score against us at BMO
(James, Robbinson, Casey, OBWhite, Gerba.....)

I wouldnt say that... If there is any defender that is going to score on us, its him.

Nuvinho
12-03-2010, 10:10 AM
I keep saying this, Sanyang's concussion must of been worst than expected. Else why not bring a guy back at $40K.

Parkdale
12-03-2010, 10:11 AM
I wouldnt say that... If there is any defender that is going to score on us, its him.

Julius James got us.

I'm just saying he wont score on us because he's probably retiring after this.

Section 117
12-03-2010, 10:13 AM
I keep saying this, Sanyang's concussion must of been worst than expected. Else why not bring a guy back at $40K.

Maybe cause he is shit and we should not be bringing back players that are shit

Razor
12-03-2010, 10:14 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRf9A5ZTYL6iXSrfMQ-NAODCEt0uCvRFqfSyQHCGW9iRuedBlt3FA

Stryker
12-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the memories Nick. I'll always remember that time you mouthed off and got jacked in the jaw.
Ive never laughed so hard as when I watched your unconscience ass flop onto the pitch.

Joe Kool
12-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Does this really mean Garcia is gone though? I thought he goes into the re-entry draft to see if anyone wants his contract the way it is but then after that he can negotiate lower to stay with TFC. Unless I am missing something. The quote from Cochrane indicates they may lose him...not that they will for sure.

“With Nick we simply couldn’t find a way to make him fit within our current budget situation. If we lose Nick through this re-entry process, we will miss his leadership and experience and wish him all the best in the future.”

Parkdale
12-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Does this really mean Garcia is gone though? I thought he goes into the re-entry draft to see if anyone wants his contract the way it is but then after that he can negotiate lower to stay with TFC. Unless I am missing something. The quote from Cochrane indicates they may lose him...not that they will for sure.

I think that's just Earl being nice.

Everyone knows that Garcia is leader off the field, BUT that's not enough to keep him on the team when his on-field play isn't worth the money.

Roogsy
12-03-2010, 10:21 AM
I was never a Garcia hater. The man worked hard here and suffered under poor management and tactics that highlighted his diminishing skills. But in his day, he was a solid player in the league and he played his guts out while he was here. While I think this is the right move, I also wish him the best going forward. He sacrificed a lot to come here and I am not sure it was ever a pleasant experience. I can only imagine he's glad this experience is over.

Gazza
12-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Now we're going to have to fill a serious void on the left:)

Such a perfect day...that song will be in my head all day now.

Shakes McQueen
12-03-2010, 10:26 AM
I was never a Garcia hater. The man worked hard here and suffered under poor management and tactics that highlighted his diminishing skills. But in his day, he was a solid player in the league and he played his guts out while he was here. While I think this is the right move, I also wish him the best going forward. He sacrificed a lot to come here and I am not sure it was ever a pleasant experience. I can only imagine he's glad this experience is over.

I didn't like Garcia his first season here, but I thought he got a lot of undeserved heat this past season. I thought he played much better, and while he still wasn't fantastic, he was also far from the real source of the team's problems.

- Scott

Pachuco
12-03-2010, 10:29 AM
No surprise Garcia is gone. But I'm definately surprised that Sanyang is gone. I mean, not a huge loss or anything, but I thought at his price he may be worth taking a shot on.

Parkdale
12-03-2010, 10:31 AM
I thought he played much better, and while he still wasn't fantastic, he was also far from the real source of the team's problems.

but he's not the kind of defender that inspires confidence. He got beat a lot. Sure he got a bit better, but he could still get beaten by any A-Game striker at any moment. If TFC is ever going to make the playoffs (or advance in them) then we need defenders who are MUCH better than Garcia was.

jabbronies
12-03-2010, 10:32 AM
I didn't like Garcia his first season here, but I thought he got a lot of undeserved heat this past season. I thought he played much better, and while he still wasn't fantastic, he was also far from the real source of the team's problems.

- Scott

agreed.

Still happy to see him go though.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-03-2010, 10:33 AM
I honestly like to see sanyang and ibby back for the reserve league for a year/year and a half at lowest wages, if they can't develop further, drop em

Parkdale
12-03-2010, 10:33 AM
No surprise Garcia is gone. But I'm definately surprised that Sanyang is gone. I mean, not a huge loss or anything, but I thought at his price he may be worth taking a shot on.

Sanyang was one of the last 'Gambian Prospects' brought in by MoJo (and FirstWave), so he might just be a causality of the Post-Mo housecleaning.

pekduck
12-03-2010, 10:34 AM

he did score on us while on our team....

Island Man
12-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Pleased that Garcia is leaving, I would take Ibrahim back but on much lower wages, would also have Sanyang back, we going to need to get in a lot of players.

Roogsy
12-03-2010, 10:35 AM
I agree about Sanyang and Ibby. Bring them both in at league minimums to fill out the bench isn't something I'd be opposed to.

Stryker
12-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Twice.
:facepalm:

Parkdale
12-03-2010, 10:36 AM

:drinking::drinking::drinking:

and the winner.... IS YOU!

Carts
12-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Unless the plan is to have Cochran & Daso as our GM & Coach - making all these players moves is simply STUPID!

I'm not sad to see these set players go - but we are MAKING THE SAME MISTAKE we have made in previous years (if we get a new coach/gm) and that's having someone else build the new managements team...

Insert facepalm here...

Carts...

Pachuco
12-03-2010, 10:40 AM
I agree about Sanyang and Ibby. Bring them both in at league minimums to fill out the bench isn't something I'd be opposed to.

I think Sanyang was already on league minimum right? so this can't be a negotation ploy. This pretty much means they aren't considering keeping him. Ibby might be another story.

Beach_Red
12-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Have they picked up any options? It looks like they're getting rid of everyone they can.

It sure makes for a great opportunity for a new GM to come in and build his own team with little baggage.

You know, if they ever get a new GM....

Gazza
12-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Another year, another completely different team on the field.

Excuse me for not having any confidence as to where we go from here.

Lucky Strike
12-03-2010, 10:43 AM
I think Sanyang was already on league minimum right? so this can't be a negotation ploy. This pretty much means they aren't considering keeping him. Ibby might be another story.

Someone may have mentioned it earlier but it's possible his concussion is worse than anticipated and not getting better.

__wowza
12-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Unless the plan is to have Cochran & Daso as our GM & Coach - making all these players moves is simply STUPID!

carts, if cochrane is our GM next year, these moves make sense.
even if he isn't their contracts were up anyways, signing them to deals so the new GM has more to work with makes sense.

__wowza
12-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Another year, another completely different team on the field.

Excuse me for not having any confidence as to where we go from here.

i agree with you, but excuse the typical toronto sports fan in me when i say i have faith that we'll do better next year. the only catch is that we need to keep anchors in the team (cann/attakora/frei/dero/barrett/etc). we're not blowing up our team completely, most of the players we've let go have been journeymen and haven't found their place in the squad.

two years ago, we weren't that bad, but we blew up the team regardless.
this year, things got worse. we can't have players that were brought in the play prekiball still on the pitch.

Carts
12-03-2010, 10:48 AM
carts, if cochrane is our GM next year, these moves make sense.
even if he isn't their contracts were up anyways, signing them to deals so the new GM has more to work with makes sense.

Agreed on "if Cochrane" is our GM...

BUT IF NOT, we're going down the same road we have before - having someone else form the roster for the new guys...

Its just frustrating to make the same mistakes all over again... :(

Again though, these moves are pretty simple and basic and not too 'big' in any way - but the roster SHOULD be built by our new Manager or GM/Coach combo, not the interim guys...

Carts..

Ossington Mental Youth
12-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Our teams not gonna be all that diff next uyear, most of the dudes gone were fringe or not useful. Curious to see if we add anyone from the reentry draft

Redcoe15
12-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Far too many mistakes by Garcia in the past that hurt our side doesn't make me feel sad he's leaving. Plus, he was Mo Johnston's pal. All that's enough for me to say to Garcia "Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out!"

Ossington Mental Youth
12-03-2010, 10:54 AM
I suspect impact players will be signed by gm, might still pick up one or two filler players

Stouffville_RPB
12-03-2010, 10:55 AM

I'm not sad to see these set players go - but we are MAKING THE SAME MISTAKE we have made in previous years (if we get a new coach/gm) and that's having someone else build the new managements team...

Insert facepalm here...

Carts...

I disagree Carts. These aren't earth shattering moves. It isn't like Cochrane is singing DP's or bringing players in on high wages.

Nothing is really being built by releasesing these players who no one can really blame TFC for dropping. If it were the other way around and these guys were being resigned then you have a very valid point.

Right now Cochrane is giving his successor exactly what he would want. Cap and roster space to do whatever he would like. There won't be any worry with international roster spots or money as these moves only give the new guy more to work with.

Lucky Strike
12-03-2010, 11:01 AM
i agree with you, but excuse the typical toronto sports fan in me when i say i have faith that we'll do better next year. the only catch is that we need to keep anchors in the team (cann/attakora/frei/dero/barrett/etc). we're not blowing up our team completely, most of the players we've let go have been journeymen and haven't found their place in the squad.

two years ago, we weren't that bad, but we blew up the team regardless.
this year, things got worse. we can't have players that were brought in the play prekiball still on the pitch.

If you look at who's left over, it's my opinion that those players represent the core of TFC. The one probably contentious name is Jacob Peterson, several of us disagree with management about his worth as a player (I'm not one of them though). All the peripheral players, the bad contracts and the useless players have been moved out, leaving us with 17 players.

But in short, I'd say all the fluff has been cut out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_FC#Current_roster

Stouffville_RPB
12-03-2010, 11:03 AM
the roster SHOULD be built by our new Manager or GM/Coach combo, not the interim guys...

Not trying to pick on you here Carts but this is a point that I've seen many people make so I'm asking in general.

What is the point of putting anyone in an interim position if you don't allow them to do anything? What would be the difference in just leaving the position vacant until you hire a new GM?

Interim coaches get hired and do the job of a full time coach. Why would a GM be any different? I didn't hear people say that Dasovic shouldn't pick an XI every week or come up with any tactics.

Again I'm not picking on you Carts I just would like to know what people think interim means and why an interim GM shouldn't make simple decisions?

TOBOR !
12-03-2010, 11:06 AM
I wonder who will carry on the august tradition of wearing the number 4 shirt ?
http://www.powersoccer.ca/images/coaches/large/Marco.jpghttp://www.torontofcfans.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/marco_velez.jpghttp://www.rednationonline.ca/photos/Nick_Garcia_Cruz_Azul.jpg

Carts
12-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Not trying to pick on you here Carts but this is a point that I've seen many people make so I'm asking in general.

What is the point of putting anyone in an interim position if you don't allow them to do anything? What would be the difference in just leaving the position vacant until you hire a new GM?

Interim coaches get hired and do the job of a full time coach. Why would a GM be any different? I didn't hear people say that Dasovic shouldn't pick an XI every week or come up with any tactics.

Again I'm not picking on you Carts I just would like to know what people think interim means and why an interim GM shouldn't make simple decisions?

No, not picking on me I know - its a good discussion / question...

In my experience, the interim role is usually (& effectively) used during the season...

Granted my experience is with the NHL not the MLS, but they are kind of similar...

The interim GM basically just steers the ship on a safe and tidy course. Don't make any hard turns, don't hire/fire any sailors, just steer the ship until the new captain can take over...

The Interim GM is needed, as day to day things need to be run...

But off-season, its just foolish to have someone build a team, only to have someone else come in and say "...don't like him..." or "...you released player-A for what reason? I think he fits here..." etc etc etc...

Again, these moves are simple ones - and nobody really dsiputes them - but in the off-season, you need your management in place, to build a roster and team for the year to come...

During the season, and interim GM is fine, as they just guide the team through the season without shaking things up too much...

Carts...

Suds
12-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Garcia was hardly our worst player this past season. Once he was moved out of the central defense it helped his game this year.

I'd take him back on a lower wage and for some depth for our defense; not s starter. You still need some vets around even when rebuilding your squad. Of course, this would have to take into account the direction TFC want to go as a team and style of play.

Gazza
12-03-2010, 11:14 AM
I don't mean to get off topic, but this has to do with who we bring in going forward...

...what are we paying Maicon Santos? I'm really looking forward to a full year with him (hopefully we can put a dp striker along side of him.)

Section 117
12-03-2010, 11:14 AM
TFC is just getting rid of the crap that Mo and preki brought in no big deal...

But as I have said all along expect status quo in the management side of this squad.. This is just by opinion

Roogsy
12-03-2010, 11:15 AM

Interim positions are known as "caretaker" positions. They are suppposed to do the bare bones of the position, but nothing that effects the scope of the business long term. That is in essence what an interim position does and what Cochrane is doing definitely goes far beyond doing what is necessary to keep the team running just for now, he is making moves and decisions that will effect the team long-term.

I am more sure than ever that Earl is keeping the position. Book it, I said it right here. There is no way an executive team allows someone with an interim tag to make moves these fundamental to the organization. They have already decided to keep Earl where he is, probably with some sort of change in title depending on what Klinsmann suggests.

As I said to some of the other guys...this is a joke. They needed to hire a consultant to not change anything at all? This Klinsmann exercise has been useless unless he brings in a top-quality coach which in essence has made Klinsmann and his company nothing more than recruiters instead of consultants.

Carts
12-03-2010, 11:16 AM
I don't mean to get off topic, but this has to do with who we bring in going forward...

...what are we paying Maicon Santos? I'm really looking forward to a full year with him (hopefully we can put a dp striker along side of him.)

Me too...

I think Santos has the ability to be a very effective MLS player...

He's at that level where he can be a superstar here - but wouldn't be scouted / picked up at any "attractive" level that would make him leave...

Carts...

Section 117
12-03-2010, 11:16 AM
IMO Soccer Solutions will suggest how to run the academy better than they are doing now and suggest who to hire as a coach....

Book it Earl as GM

deltox
12-03-2010, 11:17 AM
ill be happier when we get some new guys coming in....and i dont mean from the super draft

Roogsy
12-03-2010, 11:23 AM
IMO Soccer Solutions will suggest how to run the academy better than they are doing now and suggest who to hire as a coach....

Book it Earl as GM

You're late P! I already said it! :lol:

Section 117
12-03-2010, 11:24 AM
I know I just want to reinforce it

Carts
12-03-2010, 11:25 AM
ill be happier when we get some new guys coming in....and i dont mean from the super draft

Maybe they'll do open tryouts! :)

Carts...

Cashcleaner
12-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Garcia started off poorly, though admittedly he did improve over the course of the season. I don't believe it was by nearly enough, however, and I'm glad he's out the door.

Much like Parky though, I'm a little sorry to see Ibrahim and Sanyang going.

Sweeper
12-03-2010, 11:29 AM
I think what we are seeing here is Cochrane doing the dirty work for the incoming management/coach. Likely Klinsmann is advising on these decision too. I don't think the organization wants another Preki situation where he is doing all of the hiring and firing and making bad last minute player contract decisions. I don't think we will see a lot of player acquisitions before the next Director and Coach are in place and I would suspect that will happen soon. Hats off to Cochrane for taking the fall for the new management, which the players in 2011, both existing and new, won't associate with a the housecleaning operation.

Parkdale
12-03-2010, 11:29 AM
I don't mind Earl as GM as long as the duties are made clear.

that was the problem with Mo (one of many) - his job description was so general that it was hard to stick anything to him. team sucks? pass the buck to the coach. Can't sign players? Pass the buck to the league. I think Earl would do a fine job as a GM, provided that position is clearly defined.

bgnewf
12-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Addition By Subtraction

http://tinyurl.com/2u6nw7f

Three more players depart Toronto FC, including perhaps the controversial Nick Garcia. Comments always appreciated.

grizzle
12-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Great way to start a day :) Good riddance!

Nuvinho
12-03-2010, 11:40 AM
I want to see the list of who is available from all teams. I think TFC can pick up some guys from there. I know Houston gutted their roster already.

London
12-03-2010, 11:41 AM
bye!

bgnewf
12-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Remember folks, just because his option is not being picked up that does not mean Garcia will not be back with Toronto FC.

Obviously he feels that he might get a better offer in "free agency" through the re-entry draft process next week than what TFC is likely to offer him. If he gets no takers in the draft then there is no reason why he might not re sign with TFC.

He very well could be back....

Just saying

Sweeper
12-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Interim positions are known as "caretaker" positions. They are suppposed to do the bare bones of the position, but nothing that effects the scope of the business long term. That is in essence what an interim position does and what Cochrane is doing definitely goes far beyond doing what is necessary to keep the team running just for now, he is making moves and decisions that will effect the team long-term.

I am more sure than ever that Earl is keeping the position. Book it, I said it right here. There is no way an executive team allows someone with an interim tag to make moves these fundamental to the organization. They have already decided to keep Earl where he is, probably with some sort of change in title depending on what Klinsmann suggests.

As I said to some of the other guys...this is a joke. They needed to hire a consultant to not change anything at all? This Klinsmann exercise has been useless unless he brings in a top-quality coach which in essence has made Klinsmann and his company nothing more than recruiters instead of consultants.

that was the problem with Mo (one of many) - his job description was so general that it was hard to stick anything to him. team sucks? pass the buck to the coach. Can't sign players? Pass the buck to the league. I think Earl would do a fine job as a GM, provided that position is clearly defined.

I think Cochrane is competent for the position, my only concern is player acquisition and whether he has the international contacts to bring in big signings.

wzhxvy
12-03-2010, 11:54 AM
If they pay him anything more than 60K they are out of their mind. No one will take him for his current salary. I would bet money on that.

Stryker
12-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Is Garcia still gone? Awesome.

HTFCLMV3Cdc

The K-Man!
12-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Never heard of them...

daner90
12-03-2010, 12:02 PM
I am actually happier Sanyang is gone.

So...how many players does TFC actually still have under contact now?

bgnewf
12-03-2010, 12:14 PM
I am actually happier Sanyang is gone.

So...how many players does TFC actually still have under contact now?

Here is the list I wrote on my blog today

Goalkeepers (3)

Stefan Frei
Jon Conway
Milos Kocic

Defenders (5)

Nana Attakora
Adrian Cann
Emmanuel Gomez
Ty Harden
Doneil Henry

Midfielders (7)

Julian de Guzman
Dwayne De Rosario
Dan Gargan
Nick LaBrocca
Nicholas Lindsay
Jacob Peterson
Nathan Sturgis

Strikers (2)

Chad Barrett
Maicon Santos

That looks like a total of seventeen as of today. There are thirteen slots remaining as the 2011 rosters, with the return of the MLS reserve league, are going up to 30.

jloome
12-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Maybe cause he is shit and we should not be bringing back players that are shit

Sanyang is going overseas. He's been scouted heavily by French League repeatedly and has probably asked for a release.

He's not shit, he's 19 for fuck's sake. A 19-year-old of his both physical and technical abilities, defensively, is a gem.

If we could hold him for less money than starting, I doubt he'd be going anywhere.

Oldtimer
12-03-2010, 12:20 PM

Goalkeepers (3)

Stefan Frei
Jon Conway
Milos Kocic

Defenders (5)

Nana Attakora
Adrian Cann
Emmanuel Gomez
Ty Harden
Doneil Henry

Midfielders (7)

Julian de Guzman
Dwayne De Rosario
Dan Gargan
Nick LaBrocca
Nicholas Lindsay
Jacob Peterson
Nathan Sturgis

Strikers (2)

Chad Barrett
Maicon Santos

That looks like a total of seventeen as of today. There are thirteen slots remaining as the 2011 rosters, with the return of the MLS reserve league, are going up to 30.

That's a good solid starting point, I don't know why people are complaining about letting Nick Garcia go on re-entry. I think almost any GM whose name is not Mo Johnston would do the same. Why that means some great conspiracy about Earl because he made an obvious move, I don't know. Why that suddenly makes Klinsmann a whitewash for status-quo, I don't know either.

jloome
12-03-2010, 12:21 PM

The problem with mo wasn't his ability to duck trouble, Parkie, it was the underlying issue: he sucked at it.

Putting Earl Cochrane in as GM is just fucking wrong.

torontocelt
12-03-2010, 12:27 PM
the cull of crap continues and I like it a lot.

trane
12-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Sanyang is going overseas. He's been scouted heavily by French League repeatedly and has probably asked for a release.

He's not shit, he's 19 for fuck's sake. A 19-year-old of his both physical and technical abilities, defensively, is a gem.

If we could hold him for less money than starting, I doubt he'd be going anywhere.

I was suprised that they let him go. He is a promising DM, maybe even a CB.

Wooster_TFC
12-03-2010, 12:29 PM
The other thing that people seem to forget is that TFC still owns their rights within MLS (even the released players I believe), unless they are picked up in the re-entry draft. Garcia is the only player we've released/not picked up option on that is eligible for the re-entry draft.

I highly doubt that the option on Sanyang is larger than 100k, and if he's being heavily scouted it would shock me if TFC didn't pick up the option just to be able to get some form of transfer fee (even if it's a couple 100k). I'm more of the opinion that his option is for 80k or something, and his concussion is worse than feared. Also, on top of that, there were a whole slew of issues with him in the summer when he was fasting, and I wonder if this didn't go over well. There were several instances of him pulling up lame during the summer, and there was even a comment from Preki about it being "too hot" for him. I wonder if he's a headcase for TFC to be giving up on him already.

jabbronies
12-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Cliff Flecture was an interm GM for the Leafs wasn't he. His only job was to clean house.

No, not picking on me I know - its a good discussion / question...

In my experience, the interim role is usually (& effectively) used during the season...

Granted my experience is with the NHL not the MLS, but they are kind of similar...

The interim GM basically just steers the ship on a safe and tidy course. Don't make any hard turns, don't hire/fire any sailors, just steer the ship until the new captain can take over...

The Interim GM is needed, as day to day things need to be run...

But off-season, its just foolish to have someone build a team, only to have someone else come in and say "...don't like him..." or "...you released player-A for what reason? I think he fits here..." etc etc etc...

Again, these moves are simple ones - and nobody really dsiputes them - but in the off-season, you need your management in place, to build a roster and team for the year to come...

During the season, and interim GM is fine, as they just guide the team through the season without shaking things up too much...

Carts...

jabbronies
12-03-2010, 12:35 PM
I suspect impact players will be signed by gm, might still pick up one or two filler players

Agree with this. I can only see him releasing the junk and bringing in bench/depth players.

The major players should only be signed by someone who is in the full time role. That person will be shaping our style of play.

grizzle
12-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Next target, Barrett. Before people say anything, he's been with the team for 3 years now and scored a whopping 16 goals. Sorry to those that love him and praise him saying he works his ass off on the field (which I agree), but unfortunately the game isn't about working hard, its about winning, and to win you need goals. He's a striker that can't finish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-NzDwwTb6o) and if we want the team to progress he needs to be removed.

Roogsy
12-03-2010, 12:37 PM
This is the thing I have a problem with.

I like Earl. I think Earl is an asset to TFC. But is this REALLY the time for the team to be taking a gamble on an unproven GM? I thought this off-season was an opportunity for the team to "get it right" not to just muddle by and half-ass their way into the next season? So far, the results of their efforts have been uninspired.

If Klinsmann just came in to rubber-stamp something that MLSE put in place before he arrived, then this whole thing has been a waste of time.

Roogsy
12-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Cliff Flecture was an interm GM for the Leafs wasn't he. His only job was to clean house.

Cliff Fletcher was also heavily involved in the process to find the new GM, which means whatever Cliff did as interim was going to be continued in spirit with whoever he helped pick. In other words, there would be continuity.

Earl is not involved in the process of picking a new GM. In fact, I would go as far to say as there is no process to pick a GM, we already have him. So take the interim tag off already and stop pretending otherwise.

Section 117
12-03-2010, 12:41 PM

I am sorry I have to completely disagree with you... First off show me reports he is heading to Europe as I have heard and seen nothing to that effect. At one point wasn't there a rumor he was going to Holland. Maybe you are mistaking his holiday to Europe as he is going to play in Europe

Secondly, technically he is very poor, he can't pass, his control is horrible, he is reckless everytime he goes in to make a tackle. Postionally he is ok at best. So outside if his age and being a decent athelete what is really I am missing?

ManUtd4ever
12-03-2010, 12:45 PM

Agreed. My position on the matter has nothing to do with the relative merits of Earl Cochrane or his potential as the long term architect of this franchise. I agree with most of the moves he's made thus far. I just find it hard to believe that Klinsmann would be unable to find a candidate with a greater pedigree given his expertise in the industry. If Cochrane is given the permanent GM role, and that certainly appears likely at this point, than it also stands to reason that he would retain Dasovic considering the loyalty factor.

For all we know, Cochrane and Dasovic might be capable of leading TFC to new heights next season and no one would be happier for them than me. The issue I have is that Anselmi is playing us like fools. Why not be honest with the fan base from the outset and declare that the decision has been made to maintain the status quo in the front office and is deemed to be in the best interest of the franchise moving forward. Although there would be opposition from some supporters at least it would send an honest message.

Klinsmann received over 50 applications for the GM/Coach positions. Why have we not been informed of any type of ongoing interview process or a realistic list of prominent candidates. Ever since the erroneous leak of names such as Donadoni, Baresi, etc. all has been quiet on the prospective manager front.

The hiring of Klinsmann appears more likely to be an empty gesture with every passing day...

Stryker
12-03-2010, 12:47 PM
I am sorry I have to completely disagree with you... First off show me reports he is heading to Europe as I have heard and seen nothing to that effect. At one point wasn't there a rumor he was going to Holland. Maybe you are mistaking his holiday to Europe as he is going to play in Europe

Secondly, technically he is very poor, he can't pass, his control is horrible, he is reckless everytime he goes in to make a tackle. Postionally he is ok at best. So outside if his age and being a decent athelete what is really I am missing?

Exactly. There were rumours he was being scouted during his first few months here but he was actually good then. He's long since fallen to pieces and no top team would be interested in him any longer.

Parkdale
12-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Next target, Barrett. Before people say anything, he's been with the team for 3 years now and scored a whopping 16 goals. Sorry to those that love him and praise him saying he works his ass off on the field (which I agree), but unfortunately the game isn't about working hard, its about winning, and to win you need goals. He's a striker that can't finish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-NzDwwTb6o) and if we want the team to progress he needs to be removed.

I disagree.

having him as support / relief for someone like Santos is a good idea. We've had too many cases of a loan poacher with no support (Vitti, Cunny, Samuel). A striker is not an island, and someone like barrett is the best way to get them the ball AND net a goal or two if needed.

I'm sure many people will disagree / agree with both of our takes on it. It's a divisive issue.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Agreed. My position on the matter has nothing to do with the relative merits of Earl Cochrane or his potential as the long term architect of this franchise. I agree with most of the moves he's made thus far. I just find it hard to believe that Klinsmann would be unable to find a candidate with a greater pedigree given his expertise in the industry. If Cochrane is given the permanent GM role, and that certainly appears likely at this point, than it also stands to reason that he would retain Dasovic considering the loyalty factor.

For all we know, Cochrane and Dasovic might be capable of leading TFC to new heights next season and no one would be happier for them than me. The issue I have is that Anselmi is playing us like fools. Why not be honest with the fan base from the outset and declare that the decision has been made to maintain the status quo in the front office and is deemed to be in the best interest of the franchise moving forward. Although there would be opposition from some supporters at least it would send an honest message.

Klinsmann received over 50 applications for the GM/Coach positions. Why have we not been informed of any type of ongoing interview process or a realistic list of prominent candidates. Ever since the erroneous leak of names such as Donadoni, Baresi, etc. all has been quiet on the prospective manager front.

The hiring of Klinsmann appears more likely to be an empty gesture with every passing day...

Outside of wild speculation, how on earth does it seem certain that earl is the gm at this point?

MFG1
12-03-2010, 12:51 PM
what a great birthday present

Parkdale
12-03-2010, 12:52 PM
well happy birthday to you!

grizzle
12-03-2010, 12:52 PM
I disagree.

having him as support / relief for someone like Santos is a good idea. We've had too many cases of a loan poacher with no support (Vitti, Cunny, Samuel). A striker is not an island, and someone like barrett is the best way to get them the ball AND net a goal or two if needed.

I'm sure many people will disagree / agree with both of our takes on it. It's a divisive issue.

5 Assists in his last 52 appearances. The #'s speak for themselves.

Beach_Red
12-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Cliff Fletcher was also heavily involved in the process to find the new GM, which means whatever Cliff did as interim was going to be continued in spirit with whoever he helped pick. In other words, there would be continuity.

Earl is not involved in the process of picking a new GM. In fact, I would go as far to say as there is no process to pick a GM, we already have him. So take the interim tag off already and stop pretending otherwise.

In this scenario, Cliff Fletcher was more the Klinsmann role - the experienced, knowledgeable, successul guy. Maybe Cochrane is doing exactly what Klinsmann has asked him to do. TFC has never been exactly free with the information (we used to blame Mo, but it's likely just company policy).

Parkdale
12-03-2010, 12:54 PM
numbers don't count a lot of things. If you want a game that strictly by the numbers... it's baseball.

We're better with barrett on the field supporting someone like Santos or playing wide for someone like Dero than we are without him.

grizzle
12-03-2010, 12:55 PM
numbers don't count a lot of things. If you want a game that strictly by the number... it's baseball.

We're better with barrett on the field supporting someone like Santos or playing wide for someone like Dero than we are without him.

Not if he is replaced by someone better at doing the job.

Parkdale
12-03-2010, 12:56 PM

well sure.... that could be said about any player on our team.

I just don't trust the team to find someone better. They've had long enough to search.

torontocelt
12-03-2010, 12:56 PM

Agreed, I do not rate Sanyang at all. I would be amazed if he ends up playing at an above average team.

Roogsy
12-03-2010, 12:58 PM
I disagree.

So you're basically asking that he play a supporting role, such as winger.

Except the guy can't cross for shit.

Listen, I agree that we were a better team with Barrett. But "better" is a relative term. With Barrett we were average at best, without him we were shit. And that had more to do with his workrate than his ability. The point is that if we're going to make a run at the playoffs, we need better than "average" especially at his price.

Stryker
12-03-2010, 01:00 PM
In case you haven't noticed, there's not a whole lot of good talent beating down our door promising to play their asses off if we give them a chance to wear the badge. The names Ricketts and Robert spring to mind.

ManUtd4ever
12-03-2010, 01:01 PM

Goalkeepers (3)

Stefan Frei
Jon Conway
Milos Kocic
Defenders (5)

Nana Attakora
Adrian Cann
Emmanuel Gomez
Ty Harden
Doneil Henry
Midfielders (7)

Julian de Guzman
Dwayne De Rosario
Dan Gargan
Nick LaBrocca
Nicholas Lindsay
Jacob Peterson
Nathan Sturgis
Strikers (2)

Chad Barrett
Maicon Santos

On a more positive note, I like this core group as a nucleus. Frei, Attakora, Cann, JDG, DeRo, Sturgis, Barrett and Santos are likely locked in the starting eleven. If TFC can add two solid fullbacks, a winger, and a striker to complement the existing core this team should be vastly improved next season...

Stryker
12-03-2010, 01:02 PM

I disagree, his crossing was getting quite good this year.

Whoop
12-03-2010, 01:02 PM
The biggest thing against Barrett really is his paycheque.

His "bang for his buck" rate isn't great but he is a good MLS player.

bgnewf
12-03-2010, 01:07 PM
5 Assists in his last 52 appearances. The #'s speak for themselves.

With due respect there is one number you are forgetting about, and that is Chad Barrett's salary. Remember Mo gave him that ridiculous deal that gives him a guaranteed wage of $215,500 for the next two years.

You may wish him gone and you are entitled to believe so, but it is not as easy as wishing it. TFC would need to find another MLS club willing to trade for him, and then terms would need to be negotiated. On top of that TFC can not release him as they would have to eat his whole contract against the salary cap... not bloody likely.

Chad is staying.

It is all well and good to bitch and complain about one player or another but this is not FIFA 11 or bloody Football Manager! We are talking about a real player on a real wage, and like on many other occasions Mo Johnston has tied our hands.

Shway
12-03-2010, 01:14 PM
On a more positive note, I like this core group as a nucleus. Frei, Attakora, Cann, JDG, DeRo, Sturgis, Barrett and Santos are likely locked in the starting eleven. If TFC can add two solid fullbacks, a winger, and a striker to complement the existing core this team should be vastly improved next season...

Sturgis is not a core player!!!!

The way sturgis is getting talked about, reminds of the same way everybody was talking about Peterson at one point.

Sturgis is a good bench player a "3rd sub " if we are up!

everyone else you ahve is correct

scooter
12-03-2010, 01:19 PM
so far so good
all these moves are whats best for the team
looks like they are freeing up cap space to make some moves
decisions are spot on so far
5 guys out and they keep gargan,peterson and la brocca perfect
santos is a keeper
today just furthers the steady improvement that the interm staff are making

hats off to earl,jimmy,danny and daso

TOBOR !
12-03-2010, 01:20 PM
There is no way an executive team allows someone with an interim tag to make moves these fundamental to the organization.

Cliff.

Fletcher.

ManUtd4ever
12-03-2010, 01:20 PM

The way sturgis is getting talked about, reminds of the same way everybody was talking about Peterson at one point.

On our current roster he is a core player. I wasn't crazy about giving up a first round pick for Sturgis but based on everything I've read about him, he should be one of the more competent midfielders on our squad...

Auzzy
12-03-2010, 01:21 PM
I think the decision to not pick up the contract options on these three guys has NOTHING to do with the question if Cochrane is staying or not. Dec. 1st is the MLS deadline to pick up contract options, otherwise the players go to the re-entry draft. Obviously these decisions were finalized by Friday, and they announced them today after the league, the players, etc have been informed.

So they HAD to decide now: pick up the options to have these players continue playing for TFC under the previously-arranged contract terms, or letting them go. I think they're consistently doing the bare minimum to keep the ship afloat. (Picking up a single player on a low salary after the unprotected & expansion draft process is done was similar -- that's the only time those deals are available.)

Hopefully they are using the time wisely to very carefully select the next GM & related questions. Sure, the longer they wait gets me more worried, and I hope that they're making these decisions as quickly as possible. But I would still rather they decide with care than with haste.

Shway
12-03-2010, 01:23 PM
On our current roster he is a core player. I wasn't crazy about giving up a first round pick for Sturgis but based on everything I've read about him, he should be one of the more competent midfielders on our squad...

oh boy....sadly i see what your saying, and probaly have to agree

13? New players for TFC in 2011...

ohhh boyy

ManUtd4ever
12-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Outside of wild speculation, how on earth does it seem certain that earl is the gm at this point?

You are correct, it is nothing but speculation at this point. However, it certainly appears more likely as time passes that the interim front office will be in charge next season based on the lack of publicity surrounding the alleged search for the next GM/Coach of the franchise...

v00d00daddy
12-03-2010, 01:39 PM
I think the decision to not pick up the contract options on these three guys has NOTHING to do with the question if Cochrane is staying or not. Dec. 1st is the MLS deadline to pick up contract options, otherwise the players go to the re-entry draft. Obviously these decisions were finalized by Friday, and they announced them today after the league, the players, etc have been informed.

So they HAD to decide now: pick up the options to have these players continue playing for TFC under the previously-arranged contract terms, or letting them go. I think they're consistently doing the bare minimum to keep the ship afloat. (Picking up a single player on a low salary after the unprotected & expansion draft process is done was similar -- that's the only time those deals are available.)

Hopefully they are using the time wisely to very carefully select the next GM & related questions. Sure, the longer they wait gets me more worried, and I hope that they're making these decisions as quickly as possible. But I would still rather they decide with care than with haste.

I really hope you're right but I'm with Roogsy on this one. Thought so a long time ago.

Earl Cochrane is our new GM (jimmy B is his assistant) and Daso will be our head coach.

God I hope I'm wrong.

Auzzy
12-03-2010, 01:45 PM
I really hope you're right but I'm with Roogsy on this one. Thought so a long time ago.

Earl Cochrane is our new GM (jimmy B is his assistant) and Daso will be our head coach.

God I hope I'm wrong.

Sure, that could still happen. Yes, I'm also worried. Just that today's announcement is not major evidence either way. In fact, by not picking up these players' options, they are actually tying the hands of the permanent manager/director (or whatever) less than if they had picked up the options. And they had to decide now to meet the deadline.

Beach_Red
12-03-2010, 01:51 PM

So, with this as the core group that will be here next season, can people can start to debate what would be the best "style of football" for Klinsmann to choose?

Pachuco
12-03-2010, 01:54 PM

He was a core player on a team that did much better then we did this year. So yeah, I'm pretty sure he's going to a a core player for us in the future.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-03-2010, 01:55 PM
So, with this as the core group that will be here next season, can people can start to debate what would be the best "style of football" for Klinsmann to choose?

finally a good question that isnt conspiratorial

Pachuco
12-03-2010, 01:57 PM

Listen, I agree that we were a better team with Barrett. But "better" is a relative term. With Barrett we were average at best, without him we were shit. And that had more to do with his workrate than his ability. The point is that if we're going to make a run at the playoffs, we need better than "average" especially at his price.

Yeah I gotta disagree with you Roogsy. I thought his crossing ability this year was much improved. I do think we can be a contending team with Barrett on the field.

Pachuco
12-03-2010, 02:02 PM

God I hope I'm wrong.

I'll stab myself repeateadly in the eye of this is what comes out of hiring Klinsman as a consultant. I wonder how they would explain that one. Well, we hired an expensive consultant to find the right GM and coach and it just so happens that we had the right GM and coach.

reggie
12-03-2010, 02:23 PM
if thats the case...im done with this club.
me and my 6 tickets will go somewhere else.

rocker
12-03-2010, 02:33 PM
the caretaker (The Coch) is right for clearing the team of the dead wood. Otherwise, it wouldn't be cleared at all. Given that we don't yet have a new GM, and given the MLS deadlines regarding picking up options, you have to unload now. Plus, The Coch and Daso know better than an incoming GM who really is hopeless. I don't think anyone can say the players dumped have much upside, so the new GM won't be pissed off that they were let go. The players of even borderline value, and the good ones, are still kept to form some semblance of a roster.

The worst thing would be for the caretaker to do nothing at all, and we pick up Garcia's option (same with the others). Then he's saddled with all this crap and nothing he can do about it.

trane
12-03-2010, 02:42 PM
If Earl becomes the fulltime GM, that is it, there is no saving this organization. I will wish him the best of luck, and hope I am wrong, but it would strike me as the same old, same old.

Plus I agree with the general sentiment, that he should not be cutting players, that should be for the new GM, whom I hope is here no later then christmas.

trane
12-03-2010, 02:43 PM
^ The thought of this makes me mad. We get Klinsman to do a full search and revamp, and what do we come up with Earl Cochrane.

Anyway I hope we are wrong.

ag futbol
12-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Agreed, these moves are all about clearing room.

Now, we can be a little bit selective and say the current staff are picking and choosing their guys, but I think we can be pretty close to objective by saying that they've kept mostly quality and dealt crap. Other than trading that pick they haven't splashed by making any moves.

These moves had to be done soon. Not likely a new GM was going to come in, quickly find his bearings, and make these decisions. He'd be relying on the recommendations of existing staff in anycase.

maninb
12-03-2010, 03:05 PM

I don't agree...Barrett may not be a first class STARTING striker but he's VERY valuable as a striker coming off the benchy with lots off energy who can harrass tired defences later in games....

reggie
12-03-2010, 03:05 PM
the caretaker (The Coch) is right for clearing the team of the dead wood. Otherwise, it wouldn't be cleared at all. Given that we don't yet have a new GM, and given the MLS deadlines regarding picking up options, you have to unload now. Plus, The Coch and Daso know better than an incoming GM who really is hopeless. I don't think anyone can say the players dumped have much upside, so the new GM won't be pissed off that they were let go. The players of even borderline value, and the good ones, are still kept to form some semblance of a roster.

The worst thing would be for the caretaker to do nothing at all, and we pick up Garcia's option (same with the others). Then he's saddled with all this crap and nothing he can do about it.

the coch and daso..lol,sounds like a new kids book.:D

alex andrew
12-03-2010, 03:24 PM
without garcia, we need two central defenders !

nana and cann were desperate for advice and or orders from garcia, lots of times they had no clue who's playing who and why and where.

TFCRegina
12-03-2010, 03:48 PM
At the start of the year, I wasn't a fan of Garcia due to obvious problems in the year prior. Garcia wasn't bad this year, feel bad for him but he had become a focal point of negativity. I felt he could have added something as a coach in our academy program had he retired here.

jvanpeebles
12-03-2010, 03:56 PM
I agree 100% on this. Sanyang was a solid depth player at his wage. I would have like to see him around a little longer. Ibby definatly has an upside but in this league he is overpaid for his current development. Maybe without a cap but I would have to agree with this decision. Garcia.....thank christ himself this pylon is gone. Now bring back Wynne and I am one happy camper.

TFCtoMUFC
12-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Garcia will be back for cheap. Book it.

Roogsy
12-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Cliff.

Fletcher.

Apples

and oranges.

nfitz
12-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Garcia.....thank christ himself this pylon is gone. Are you trying to jinx this? Even the article makes it clear he isn't necessarily gone.

v00d00daddy
12-03-2010, 04:56 PM
I don't agree...Barrett may not be a first class STARTING striker but he's VERY valuable as a striker coming off the benchy with lots off energy who can harrass tired defences later in games....

not at 200k +

much like Garcia Barrett would be useful at a great reduction in salary. neither of them deserve 200k+ which is what starters make and neither if them are good enough to be starters

it's a tough sitch

alex andrew
12-03-2010, 05:39 PM
garcia is worth 60k for his speed and strenght, and 150k for his tutoring / mentoring / teaching skills.

he knows football.

i'd put him behind cann and nana and move the twos 5 yards forward.

Beach_Red
12-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Garcia will be back for cheap. Book it.

He may be playing somewhere next year, but if it's for cheap why would it be Toronto? It might be somewhere closer to home...

twistedchinaman
12-03-2010, 06:16 PM
How'd that Chilliwack song go?

Garcia...gone, gone, gone...

:flare:

ArmenJBX
12-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Sanyang is gone due to poor work ethic in training, as well as injury.

69Chevy396
12-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Pleasant news, ridding from the club all players close to Preki and Mo. Garcia is a ULS caliber player, Ibrahim is way too expensive for a bench player who needs to become a man before playing with them, Sanyang is a good player, but seems to be lazy and injury prone. What is the head count now? How many new players are we going to have in 2011, it seems more than half the team is gone.

jloome
12-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Exactly. There were rumours he was being scouted during his first few months here but he was actually good then. He's long since fallen to pieces and no top team would be interested in him any longer.

I know for a fact he's been scouted by Auxerre since then, and by the way, he can't have been "actually good" during his first few months here; he didn't play in the first team until he'd been with the team for half a season, due to his age.

rocker
12-03-2010, 07:01 PM
How'd that Chilliwack song go?

Garcia...gone, gone, gone...

:flare:

but the rest of the song isn't the right sentiment ;)

She didn`t have to leave me
She didn`t have to run
She didn`t have to go
Without a word to anyone
I hope she`s doing alright
Got no way to know
Unless she gets to hear this song
Hear it on the radio

ArmenJBX
12-03-2010, 07:01 PM
We got 17 guys left.

I expect to see Emmanuel Gomez gone too.

Looks like we're keeping a core of players, and removing all of our dusters.

Good start, let's see what we can make of it.

Red Rat
12-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Good and sad news why?
2011 will be our year one, again.

rr

razor787
12-03-2010, 07:15 PM
First game he played for us too :/

Ball came to him, frei came out for it, but garcia decided to head it back. Went right over Frei and into the net :/

Stryker
12-03-2010, 07:37 PM
I know for a fact he's been scouted by Auxerre since then, and by the way, he can't have been "actually good" during his first few months here; he didn't play in the first team until he'd been with the team for half a season, due to his age.
Well then I stand corrected. I don't watch french football but if they have a thing for young defensive mids who pass poorly and tackle recklessly then I guess anything is possible.

Cashcleaner
12-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Good and sad news why?
2011 will be our year one, again.

rr

But...

Wasn't Year 1 the very best year for us supporters? :scarf:

alex andrew
12-03-2010, 08:19 PM
First game he played for us too :/

Ball came to him, frei came out for it, but garcia decided to head it back. Went right over Frei and into the net :/

i am very, very sorry, i should shut up, but again, i consider myself a supporter too.

garcia is a way way better footballer than frei, entschuldigung stefan !

jloome
12-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Well then I stand corrected. I don't watch french football but if they have a thing for young defensive mids who pass poorly and tackle recklessly then I guess anything is possible.

LOL, ok that made me laugh.

He has a lot of raw talent. It might be, as someone here suggested, that his strict religious issues are involved.

jazzy
12-03-2010, 08:34 PM

I used to feel this way but have grown to repect the man, I think he is very effective on the wing and has shown to be a good playmaker/passer. Yes I am hesitant with him as striker, but after speaking with him he looks forward to being here next year and very much wants to work with the rookies/newbies helping out their game....I can't think of anyone better to show the way......He is a huge team man......and he played hurt half of the year.....he pushed that hammiefor what it's worth.....he is dedicated and in a predetermined role is effective......but the killer is, I believe, he is going to make $300,000.....this year, probably too much, yet we've paid worse players as much.....and more

jazzy
12-03-2010, 08:35 PM
numbers don't count a lot of things. If you want a game that strictly by the numbers... it's baseball.

^this

jazzy
12-03-2010, 08:50 PM
At the start of the year, I wasn't a fan of Garcia due to obvious problems in the year prior. Garcia wasn't bad this year, feel bad for him but he had become a focal point of negativity. I felt he could have added something as a coach in our academy program had he retired here.

I think U have something here, Gargan went out of his way to tell me he liked playing with Garcia, and was comfortable on the field with him,....the younger guys' as mentioned may have welcomed his under attack organizing.........yes he shouldn't be on the field anymore, but probably would be a good coach or even low paid emergency sub......just being realistic

FluSH
12-03-2010, 09:06 PM
sad to see Ibby gone...

tfc007
12-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Its about time! Garcia should have been gone ages ago,The other two I would of kept for at least another year to see !

Davenport
12-04-2010, 12:33 PM
We're better off without all 3.
None of them ever contributed anything.

Sullivan
12-04-2010, 01:41 PM
I think U have something here, Gargan went out of his way to tell me he liked playing with Garcia, and was comfortable on the field with him,....the younger guys' as mentioned may have welcomed his under attack organizing.........yes he shouldn't be on the field anymore, but probably would be a good coach or even low paid emergency sub......just being realistic

Not surprised, somewhat happy with these moves....

IIRC, Garcia has his USSF A badge.

For those who might care, or fwiw...
Garcia, as a defender, was a former Hermann finalist, 1999 I think.
Two years running he was defender of the year (98 & 99).

He was the anchor for a very dominant IU team 1997-2000, including back-to-back NCAA national championships (98 & 99). One of the best college games I've ever seen was Indiana vs Clemson, at Clemson in the very late 90s. Indiana won 2-1, Garcia was a solid stud defender!

And those IU teams were very talented, loaded with smart, skilled players (Garcia included). Time has caught up with him.

Many of his former IU teammates are now coaching in the NCAA, so he's going to have lots of options, as these guys have remained very close even though they've gone in various directions since college.

2 noteables would be:
Caleb Porter, coaches the top team in the country, Akron Zips.
Aleksey Korol is an assistant at IU.

Smokecell
12-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Sad to see Sanyang go, impartial with Ibee, and glad to see Garcia go...performance aside I just feel his cap hit could be much better spent.