PDA

View Full Version : Referee's and Nationality

druid
12-02-2010, 11:11 PM
An interesting statistical analysis of rugby games where two nationalities were playing and the ref shares nationalities with one of the teams:

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2010/07/29/revealed-biased-rugby-referees-in-both-codes-hand-big-advantage-to-own-countries-290702/

Does anyone think the stats shown here would be similar to Toronto FC home games with American refs?

razor787
12-03-2010, 12:56 AM
I dont think so. Every team complains about bad officiating, and always think they are singled out. Problem isnt ref's going against us, problem is refs dont have the skill to referee even in a kids league.

druid
12-03-2010, 07:52 AM
I dont think so. Every team complains about bad officiating, and always think they are singled out. Problem isnt ref's going against us, problem is refs dont have the skill to referee even in a kids league.

I think lack of expertise plays a part but I remember someone on this site posting a card count comparison of Canadian vs US refs at BMO and the American refs gave out significantly more red and yellow cards.

razor787
12-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Canadian refs dont have as much experience as the american refs. It doesnt even really make that much sense for refs to go against a club team. It may be a canadian team, but at the same time, there are many americans on the team.

maninb
12-03-2010, 10:07 AM
From what I've seen is more about the "style" of the refs opposed to Nationality....When we've had Latino refs and been playing teams with a lot of Latino players, who let's face it.."dive" more than other players, we tend to get more cards and fouls called against us...

SilverSamurai
12-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Canadian refs dont have as much experience as the american refs. It doesnt even really make that much sense for refs to go against a club team. It may be a canadian team, but at the same time, there are many americans on the team.
That also has to do with their being more US refs vs. Canadians.

I guess an easy way to compare would be to compare NCC games to MLS games. Unless if I'm wrong, aren't all NCC games officiated by Canadian refs? Wheras the CCL matches are random refs from throughout the region.

Also the reffing as a whole sucks in CONCACAF...