PDA

View Full Version : FUCK! THAT!: keane looking into vancouver

__wowza
11-29-2010, 09:44 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/kick-keane-canada-dempsey-takes-stand
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Soccer+Whitecaps+looking+Tottenham+Keane+Report/3894401/story.html

makes sense, one of their execs used to work with the spurs.

mastermixer
11-29-2010, 09:48 AM
It's potential signings like this that would rub salt in the wounds of TFC fans. Especially considering its another Canadian team.

razor787
11-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Balls!

billyfly
11-29-2010, 09:50 AM
They do have mountains (as they like to remind us)

__wowza
11-29-2010, 10:02 AM
It's potential signings like this that would rub salt in the wounds of TFC fans. Especially considering its another Canadian team.

again, i understand this completely as they do already have someone who has ties to another european club. kinda like how we brought in mista with de guze's help. if keane goes down there, it'll be because he's been coaxed into it, but good god, what a signing that would be.

CretanBull
11-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Its the best thing that could happen to us.

bgnewf
11-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Its the best thing that could happen to us.

The only thing good for Toronto if he goes to Vancouver is that it hopefully raises the chances for us getting a good DP of his ilk rather than some fucking re-tread bum like Mista was

Parkdale
11-29-2010, 10:22 AM
part of me wonders if this is just the 'new franchise, itchy trigger finger' style of reporting that we also had.

Remember the rumours of Ronaldo coming here, or Zidane to Chicago? I'm hoping that's the case.

JonO
11-29-2010, 10:24 AM
I dunno about this - would spurs be willing to let him walk without a transfer fee? Especially if there is interest from other European leagues...

CretanBull
11-29-2010, 10:25 AM
The only thing good for Toronto if he goes to Vancouver is that it hopefully raises the chances for us getting a good DP of his ilk rather than some fucking re-tread bum like Mista was

Thats exactly what I'm thinking! If Vancouver lands Keane, the pressure on Toronto to get someone who's at least as good as him goes through the roof.

Roogsy
11-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Lenarduzzi is determined to make TFC look stupid.

So far, I think he's doing a good job of it. Then again, he has help...from TFC.

CretanBull
11-29-2010, 10:29 AM
part of me wonders if this is just the 'new franchise, itchy trigger finger' style of reporting that we also had.

Remember the rumours of Ronaldo coming here, or Zidane to Chicago? I'm hoping that's the case.

I'd not convinced that its a sure thing, but I don't think this is the case. The league has grown A LOT since we've joined and the number of true stars in the league have grown quite a bit. In the new reality of the MLS, Keane makes sense.

Vancouver have ambition, they have a solid foundation to build on and (I'm sure) want nothing more to get the better of both Toronto and Seatle. Their front office ties to Tottenham make the rumour even more plausible.

Parkdale
11-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Lenarduzzi is determined to make TFC look stupid.

So far, I think he's doing a good job of it. Then again, he has help...from TFC.

and just wait until Joey Saputo gets on the scene. He'll try to make both us and Van look like chumps.

definitely, the pressure will be on TFC/MSLE to step it up.

Whoop
11-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Which is good.

MLSE doesn't like competition.

__wowza
11-29-2010, 10:37 AM
^ it's not really a rumour, it's more speculation than anything. he's looking into vancouver as one of his options as to where he'll get the most playing time. i honestly don't think that juvert will play him that often at age 30. to add to that he's been quite vocal about his discontent with his playing time this season. spurs may just be looking to unload him on whoever bids the highest.

__wowza
11-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Which is good.

MLSE doesn't like competition.

MLSE: building dynasties through spite.

JonO
11-29-2010, 10:39 AM
spurs may just be looking to unload him on whoever bids the highest.
If it involves a transfer fee, Vancouver is likely out... Simple as that I say

billyfly
11-29-2010, 10:40 AM
We need more spite.

Spite can drive my car any day.

Cashcleaner
11-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Thats exactly what I'm thinking! If Vancouver lands Keane, the pressure on Toronto to get someone who's at least as good as him goes through the roof.

Sure, the pressure might occur, but I doubt it's going to work on the MLE board. I mean, it's not like it really has in the past, right?

Think about it: New York picked up Henry and Angel, LA spent the money for Beckham, Chicago got Blanco, and several other DPs were signed for other clubs long before Toronto got it's ass in gear and brought in De Guzman.

Keane going to Vancouver means nothing, except to prove that the owners of the club want to come out of the gates in the running. This can only be good news if our club decides to react to this development appropriately and makes a move for a superior player.

__wowza
11-29-2010, 10:49 AM
If it involves a transfer fee, Vancouver is likely out... Simple as that I say

it may not, he's bringing in 65k and has only been on the pitch twice all season. if harry can't unload him, and he's not getting playing time elsewhere, it's going to be an easy sell. again, i understand that this is a lot of speculation, but he's got 2.5 years left on his contract. at 65k a week, i don't think tottenham are going to be holding onto him until he's 32 at that wage.

edit: 65k = £65,000

Carts
11-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Giovanni Trapattoni said if Keane wants to remain with the Irish national team, he must play at a high level - and the MLS isn't considered a high level...

At 31 or so, Keane's days with the national club are numbered, but this would likely end his international career...

I see Keane coming over here after Euro, then play out his days here...

Carts...

Fort York Redcoat
11-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Ugh. Well I'd start to hate Vanny if they got em. Like Keane but hope he does some research and skips on Vanny.

CretanBull
11-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Sure, the pressure might occur, but I doubt it's going to work on the MLE board. I mean, it's not like it really has in the past, right?

Think about it: New York picked up Henry and Angel, LA spent the money for Beckham, Chicago got Blanco, and several other DPs were signed for other clubs long before Toronto got it's ass in gear and brought in De Guzman.

Keane going to Vancouver means nothing, except to prove that the owners of the club want to come out of the gates in the running. This can only be good news if our club decides to react to this development appropriately and makes a move for a superior player.

Surely Vancouver doing something straight out of the gate puts pressure on Toronto the way NY or LA doing something doesn't.

DangerRed
11-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Robbie Keane? Yeah? Well... we've got fuckin' Nate Sturgis!

Also - Keane's getting 65,000 GBP a week. We're going to pay Sturgis $65,000 a YEAR.

BOOYA!

J .
11-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Id like to have Keane on our team.

Van goes after Keane. We go after Mista.

Making Losing Seem Easy.

jloome
11-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Anybody catch the Portland executive on the weekend who said they gave up Dax McCarthy to DC becuase they think they're about to sign a big-name midfielder and a big-name striker from Europe?

Sounds Mo-ish. Also makes me wonder how many teams Keane's agents have called.

tfcleeds
11-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Maybe we could steal him from under their noses...that would be a great way to start the rivalry.

Nuvinho
11-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Vancouver making a major announcement at 1pm today ET. Is it a player?

DangerRed
11-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Watching the live Whitecaps feed. Nothing yet but FIFA 11 replays and a lot of background noise. Seems like a pretty big event.

Ageroo
11-29-2010, 01:04 PM
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/vancouver-whitecaps-fc

Nuvinho
11-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Watching the live Whitecaps feed. Nothing yet but FIFA 11 replays and a lot of background noise. Seems like a pretty big event.

EA sports is going to have an update in FIFA 11 to include the Whitecaps? hahaha!!!

Ageroo
11-29-2010, 01:07 PM
EA sports is going to have an update in FIFA 11 to include the Whitecaps? hahaha!!!

Look for the expansion pack...IN STORES NOW....:)

JonO
11-29-2010, 01:09 PM
EA going to be sponsors? Seems like something EA related. Boring

deltox
11-29-2010, 01:10 PM
go SPURS

Nuvinho
11-29-2010, 01:11 PM
I guess its time to switch to pro evolution.

Azerban
EA going to be sponsors? Seems like something EA related. Boring

yeah no shit

Vancouver Whitecaps - Lets Talk About Our Real Favourite Team Because This Announcement Is Boring As Heck

Brooker
Never gonna happen and everytime they say "top 25 club in the world" I burst out laughing.

Ageroo
go SPURS

I was waiting for you or Simon to chime in on that.....:)

DangerRed
Whitecaps announce EA as official videogame partner?

LAME.

Edit: I'd be hilarious if they said "EA will be our videogame partner. Also: we're signing Robbie Keane."

menefreghista
11-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Whitecaps announce EA as official videogame partner?

LAME.

Edit: I'd be hilarious if they said "EA will be our videogame partner. Also: we're signing Robbie Keane."

Agreed. Sponsorship deals aren't major announcements.

Azerban
11-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Vancouver Whitecaps renamed to The Vancouver Whitespurs??

Nuvinho
11-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Will Vancouver now be rated 99 in all categories in FIFA 12?

Azerban
11-29-2010, 01:17 PM
what does any of this mean

oh thank god official motion capture of the whitecaps yet again losing the canada cup

tear-fluid physics

photorealistic evil bert in the stands

DangerRed
11-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Also: Keane's been offered to Villa for Young.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/848696-robbie-keane-offered-to-aston-villa-for-ashley-young-transfer-swap

Ageroo
11-29-2010, 01:19 PM
ha ha...Rohan...was wrong....at least today....

http://twitter.com/rohanricketts

Nuvinho
11-29-2010, 01:21 PM
ha ha...Rohan...was wrong....at least today....

http://twitter.com/rohanricketts

He was either trying to fool us with his tweets, or had no clue. He has said nothing after they announced the EA dea.

CretanBull
11-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Also: Keane's been offered to Villa for Young.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/848696-robbie-keane-offered-to-aston-villa-for-ashley-young-transfer-swap

There's a better chance of Keane signing with Vancouver, denouncing his Irish citizenship, becoming a Canadian and suiting up for us than there is of Villa giving up Ashley Young for him.

DangerRed
11-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Ricketts.... So... irrelevant.

jenkinsm
11-29-2010, 01:45 PM

Don't forget they're 3 hours behind...check back at 4pm EST.

DangerRed
11-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Don't forget they're 3 hours behind...check back at 4pm EST.

:facepalm:

Oldtimer
11-29-2010, 02:10 PM
This is unimportant, what's more important is a philosophical issue:

Will Whitecaps fans buy FIFA 11 for the X-Box, given that X-Box is Seattle's sponsor?

What a conundrum!

Pookie
11-29-2010, 02:13 PM
This is unimportant, what's more important is a philosophical issue:

Will Whitecaps fans buy FIFA 11 for the X-Box, given that X-Box is Seattle's sponsor?

What a conundrum!

And to save up for it, will they have to put money in their BMO bank account?

TOBOR !
11-29-2010, 02:22 PM
ha ha... Steve Nash is behind all of this, to be sure.

__wowza
11-29-2010, 04:13 PM
for some reason, van city have been trading all of their expansion players for allocation money and international spots. read into it what you will, but something wicked that way comes.

Oldtimer
11-29-2010, 04:18 PM
for some reason, van city have been trading all of their expansion players for allocation money and international spots. read into it what you will, but something wicked that way comes.

Maybe they have Mo Johnston as a consultant?

That's what he did in year 1.

Beach_Red
11-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Maybe they have Mo Johnston as a consultant?

That's what he did in year 1.

Yeah, but then we went and bought all the tickets to all the games and his boss told him they didn't need to sign any expensive players.

So really, it was our fault ;).

Heathen
11-29-2010, 04:45 PM

I get the feeling that Vancouver aren't all that interested in being a Seattle and competing in year one. It's almost as if they want to bring in some names to generate a buzz but still expect to suck.

bgnewf
11-29-2010, 05:43 PM
having extra international lots and clearing a ton of cap space in my eyes means one thing most of all...

Three big name DP's! extra space allows them the best chance of building some sort of balanced side with three pricey players on the pitch

the

Mikey
11-29-2010, 06:38 PM

I don't think so.

If Keane and a few more aging "names" join the MLS retirement league along with Henry and golden balls, ML$E can factor ticket price increases against drawing in more corporate seats and casual fans who dont give shit if TFC is a winning team or not.

sully
11-29-2010, 07:20 PM
I don't think so.

If Keane and a few more aging "names" join the MLS retirement league along with Henry and golden balls, ML$E can factor ticket price increases against drawing in more corporate seats and casual fans who dont give shit if TFC is a winning team or not.

Henry was 32 when he came to MLS and if (unlikely as I think) keane came he'd be 30. Beckam would still at his age get into a mid table EPL team, everton gave expressed interest, and plenty of players have moved from MLS across the water too. Hardly a retirement league.

Cashcleaner
11-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Surely Vancouver doing something straight out of the gate puts pressure on Toronto the way NY or LA doing something doesn't.

We'll have to wait and see, but keep in mind our track record as a club that tends to follow much more than we lead.

You what would be an even better headline? Keane looking into TORONTO. I'll agree that sometimes acting reactively can end up working well for us, but we ended up doing that with JDG and Mista and see where that got us? One of which has most most definitely NOT proven his worth to the club, and the other of which is treading thin ice when it comes to the topic of investment return.

So yeah, I'm not trying to be cynical here, but what are the chances that we'll land a better player than Keane if he did end up going to Vancouver?

brad
11-29-2010, 08:07 PM
If Keane walks, I think he'll go back to Celtic.

Detroit_TFC
11-29-2010, 11:48 PM
9RcYe_z-s-o

rocker
11-30-2010, 01:29 AM
someone call me when he actually signs with Vancouver.

certain people on this board are always quick to praise Vancouver even when it's a rumour and not an actual, real signing.

__wowza
12-05-2010, 03:11 PM
http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/transfer_talk/57708/robbie-keane-can-leave-tottenham-in-january-for-highest-bidder-harry-redknapp.html

he's gotten the go-ahead to leave. doesn't say he's signing with vancouver, but also clarifies it for everyone whose been mentioning that he's got a few years left or that there's no way tottenham would let him go.

TFC Bhoy
12-05-2010, 03:16 PM
If Keane walks, I think he'll go back to Celtic.
Ya i agree, or at least i hope so!! lol. But in any case the whole reason he didn't want to stay at Celtic was because he still feels he can offer a lot to a top level team. I know the SPL isn't top quality, but I don't see him turning down Celtic to go play for Vancouver in MLS. Just my 2 cents

Stryker
12-09-2010, 10:38 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1336948/Aston-Villa-boss-Gerard-Houllier-Keane-seal-Robbie-deal-6m-bid.html#ixzz17cpH41PK

Roogsy
12-09-2010, 10:44 AM
That makes more sense. The guy is still an impact player in the EPL.

bgnewf
12-09-2010, 10:47 AM
MLS is not going to pay a transfer fee... This is not happening...

Next

__wowza
12-09-2010, 11:13 AM
^ tottenham have mentioned waving the fee.
i'm not saying it's happening. i'm saying it's been heavily put out there, a lot of people are looking at picking him up.

Beach_Red
12-09-2010, 01:41 PM
^ tottenham have mentioned waving the fee.
i'm not saying it's happening. i'm saying it's been heavily put out there, a lot of people are looking at picking him up.

If Vancouver really want to pay him and he wants to come, would anyone really be surprised if they "waived" the transfer fee and he ended up in MLS?

CretanBull
12-09-2010, 01:57 PM
It's up to Keane really. Spurs have said that they'll let him go in January. Even if Villa want to pay £6million for him, Keane doesn't have to sign a deal with them if he doesn't want to go there so he could still end up in Vancouver on a free.

JonO
12-09-2010, 01:58 PM
It's amazing that they'd leave 6mill sitting on the table like that. Oh to be one of the big boys...

Yohan
12-09-2010, 02:05 PM
It's amazing that they'd leave 6mill sitting on the table like that. Oh to be one of the big boys...
considering the spurs paid 12 mil to get him back? then again, he was sold for 20 mil? so I guess the spurs still kinda come out on top for transfer fee for keane

still, shitecaps must be promising keane something good if keane picks vancouver over villa

Ossington Mental Youth
12-09-2010, 02:17 PM
id be amazed if he decided to go with van over aston villa.
dudes still got a few more years in him yet. Maybe at 32 but not at 30.

CretanBull
12-09-2010, 02:51 PM

They wouldn't be leaving money on the table, it's not their choice. If he goes to Spurs, they get the 6 mil. If he goes to Vancouver, they get nothing (but get his salary off their books). They can't force Keane to go to Villa if he doesn't want to go there.

__wowza
12-09-2010, 05:01 PM
id be amazed if he decided to go with van over aston villa.
dudes still got a few more years in him yet. Maybe at 32 but not at 30.

you could be a small fish in a big pond, or a big fish in a small pond. personally, i don't see why a lot of footballers aren't coming in here in the twilight of their careers, around keane's age, to collect big bucks and lord over the league instead of floundering in the EPL.

zeelaw
12-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Let him go to Vancouver, in 2 years he'll be suiting up for Aribe Unido or however u spell it

Ossington Mental Youth
12-09-2010, 09:58 PM
you could be a small fish in a big pond, or a big fish in a small pond. personally, i don't see why a lot of footballers aren't coming in here in the twilight of their careers, around keane's age, to collect big bucks and lord over the league instead of floundering in the EPL.

prob because they can and want to play at the highest level

TOBOR !
12-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Villa are sniffing around outside the top 4, so there's a chance of European Nights for him if he goes there. He might be what they require to get them over the hump and perhaps into the CL (pie in the sky).

Compare that to what Vancouver can offer... the NCC. Games against Arabe Unido. Road trips to Columbus.

If he does sign in MLS, the con is on.

Edit - re: Villa's position - bah - a recent poor run of form has them 2 points out of the relegation zone. So, uh, maybe he will sign with Vancouver after all ?

Cashcleaner
12-10-2010, 08:12 AM

There certainly is the appeal to one's ego that needs to be considered. Money will likely be the biggest factor in these acquisitions, but I think what you just typed can be a pretty strong X Factor as well.

__wowza
12-10-2010, 10:27 AM
prob because they can and want to play at the highest level

yer missing my argument, would someone want to get there ass handed to them at the highest level? or would they want to run out the later years of their career (pre-decrepit years) in a lower league?

time will tell, but some people have chosen the latter.

TFCRegina
12-10-2010, 10:43 AM
yer missing my argument, would someone want to get there ass handed to them at the highest level? or would they want to run out the later years of their career (pre-decrepit years) in a lower league?

time will tell, but some people have chosen the latter.

SPL is a lower league.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Thats suggesting that Keane is no longer productive at a higher level, which is not necessarily the case

Macksam
12-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Coming to MLS will give him a new fan base.

anto7
12-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Blackburn want Keane, Bentley
PA Sport
Friday, 10 December 2010 - 10:38 AM
FOOTBALL - Premier League
Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce admitted he would be interested in signing Robbie Keane or David Bentley if they become available in January.
Allardyce, who was flattered to be tipped by Fabio Capello as his possible successor as England boss, will keep an eye on developments regarding the Spurs players but believes he will be in a long queue for their services.

He said: "If Tottenham say that Robbie Keane and David Bentley are available then you are always interested in quality players. If they are, then I think we will be one of many, many clubs in the Premier League who would be interested

"I have identified some targets and some talks have started - I've discussed it with the chairman and he will discuss it with the new owners.

"It's just a question of how much, that's the key element because there are various targets at various prices and we will not rule out a loan signing either."