PDA

View Full Version : Canada's Boyz: Toronto trio ponders national options

Oldtimer
11-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Yet another Canadian may end up playing for his ancestral country -- one which he's only visited once in his life, while he's training with Canada's U-23 team!

The kicker -- he's with the TFC Academy.

Two others also might turn their backs on Canada.

Morgan was born and raised in Canada. Now 19, he has already represented the North American nation at several youth levels, and is poised to begin a professional career, possibly with
(http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20101128/sports/sports11.html#) club Toronto FC, where he is enrolled in its football academy. Canada is home, where Morgan embraced everything he knows - family, education and football. He visited Jamaica once - as a child. So Morgan leans heavily on the red and white of Canada. Yet he is not ready to concede he has worn a Jamaican jersey for the last time.
"I like to keep my options open," said Morgan in a more serious tone while attending a recent training camp in the with Canada's under-23 team. "You never know."
http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20101128/sports/sports11.html

Batman
11-28-2010, 09:25 AM
lovely. Born and raised in Canada. What a joke. People should have to go live in the country they want to play for. Call me old fashioned...

James17930
11-28-2010, 09:57 AM
FIFA should just drop all this 'where you're family is from shit' and go back to making it wherever you were born. End of.

wzhxvy
11-28-2010, 10:09 AM
This is only acceptable if he is positioning and basically saying I may not be good enough to play for Canada or they might not select me, and I would like to play internationally and if Canada is not an option, I would like to keep my options open. That is the only acceptable explanation to this, because there is no freaking way this is acceptable.

Btw, I should have been warned that the President of the CSA was at the MLS cup so I could have prepared my vocal cords better for booing the absolute and utter incompetence of that organization and its leadership. Shame on you.

deltox
11-28-2010, 10:13 AM
i thought one of the roles of the academy was to help grow CDN talent for the purpose to build the CDN national team.

did i make that up or did i hear that somewhere?

razor787
11-28-2010, 10:14 AM
In a perfect world, CSA would ask him to declare now, and get him locked asap. If he says he is choosing Jamaica, then get him off the TFC-Academy.

I dont want someone like that playing for my club.

Pigfynn
11-28-2010, 10:25 AM
This won't make him a very popular player at BMO. We do say some daft things when we're young though...let's hope it's that.

shawn6597
11-28-2010, 10:56 AM
i thought one of the roles of the academy was to help grow CDN talent for the purpose to build the CDN national team.

either way, the Academy ought to go all CD Guadalajara and keep only CDNS. If he wants Jamaica he gets the snips from the team.
:canada:

prizby
11-28-2010, 11:14 AM
either way, the Academy ought to go all CD Guadalajara and keep only CDNS. If he wants Jamaica he gets the snips from the team.
:canada:

or Athletic Bilbao for that matter

If Canada says to Morgan, look your not in our future plans, feel free to look elsewhere...than i don't have a problem with a Canadian born playing for Jamaica

But if he rides his pony up the canadian system then has a change of heart...it'd be real disappointing and if he signs with the senior team and starts playing with TFC, he will probably be hurting his career and the team because I as a fan would have no problem booing his every touch.

Hopefully he will see some sort of reception he will get when Teal Bunbury comes to town in 2011

Kaz
11-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Can the CSA open it's eyes and say hey maybe just maybe we should improve the program...

prizby
11-28-2010, 11:26 AM
^well they are playing more friendlies...

v00d00daddy
11-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Can the CSA open it's eyes and say hey maybe just maybe we should improve the program...

Kinda how I feel too.

I think these guys jumping ship is shitty but a part of me can't blame them cause our ship is not only sinking...it's been at the bottom of the ocean for a while now.

It's a catch 22. We need good players to improve the program but good players don't want to play for Canada cause the program sucks.

jazzy
11-28-2010, 12:02 PM
In simple words, the greatest, welfare state, Canada, which will basically allow anyone in the world to start a life, gain an education, free health care, nurture their children and live terror free basically for their entire life.......for some reason can't encourage any sense of loyalty..................sometimes these youngsters are heavily influenced by their parents......and I look there..........harsh yes, but put this into context on Remberance Day

TFC07
11-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Kinda how I feel too.

I think these guys jumping ship is shitty but a part of me can't blame them cause our ship is not only sinking...it's been at the bottom of the ocean for a while now.

It's a catch 22. We need good players to improve the program but good players don't want to play for Canada cause the program sucks.

What makes Jamaican soccer so special then? No offense, Jamaican soccer sucks as well.

To be honest, CSA shouldn't be blamed for this. Also CSA is slowly starting to change for the good (more friendly for men's team, their women program doing well, talk of having all Canadian pro league).

Ossington Mental Youth
11-28-2010, 12:40 PM

i seem to remember this too, hope someones taking the boy aside and giving him shit. i think these kids get it into their heads that its something special to play for their parents countries. I can kinda understand it especially if youre raised in that culture. that being said theres something even more special in repping Canada.

TFCRegina
11-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Only way you can stop this sort of thing from happening is if you crack down on multiculturalism and disperse ethnic communities.

So, it's not going to change short of this country developing a large fascist movement.

TFC07
11-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Only way you can stop this sort of thing from happening is if you crack down on multiculturalism and disperse ethnic communities.

So, it's not going to change short of this country developing a large fascist movement.

:rolleyes:

TFCRegina
11-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Also, from what they're saying, they're with Canada but it was a mixed choice.

It's disgraceful that it is a choice and not automatic, but they did come to Canada.

TFCRegina
11-28-2010, 12:54 PM
:rolleyes:

Never said it was a good thing.

westrouge
11-28-2010, 02:36 PM
It seems to me like Canada is the primary choice for these guys. You can't really blame them for keeping their options open if Canada does not select them.

Ironically, sometimes the rules about residency end up helping the Canadian, as opposed to what seems like the usual "Hargreaves/Jono De Guzman" situation. I've known Sean Hart (one of the three players in the article) since we were little; he was born here, moved to France for 3 or 4 years, moved back here for 4 or 5 more, and has been living in the U.S. for the past 5 years. We should be thankful that Canada is in fact his first choice.

Pinkie
11-28-2010, 03:44 PM
It seems to me like Canada is the primary choice for these guys. You can't really blame them for keeping their options open if Canada does not select them.

you'd be hard pressed to find a single person who cares even a little if we reject a player and they go off and play for another country. footballers should love to play, and to challenge themselves at the highest level.

however, if you're born here, raised here, go to school here, play timbits soccer here, join the academy for Canada's National Club Team (eat it montreal/'couver), and then decide that you have a slightly better chance of going to a World Cup with someone else? fuck off you judas cunt.

e: lol postin' as pinkie

Toronto Ruffrider
11-28-2010, 06:13 PM

To be sure, the CSA needs to improve its programme, but I get tired of players using the CSA as a crutch to validate their international career moves. It is so easy and convenient to blame the CSA, then jump ship. Would it be too difficult for players to represent the actual country that they feel the most pride in?

westrouge
11-28-2010, 09:07 PM
however, if you're born here, raised here, go to school here, play timbits soccer here, join the academy for Canada's National Club Team (eat it montreal/'couver), and then decide that you have a slightly better chance of going to a World Cup with someone else? fuck off you judas cunt.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

SilverSamurai
11-28-2010, 09:35 PM
In a perfect world, CSA would ask him to declare now, and get him locked asap. If he says he is choosing Jamaica, then get him off the TFC-Academy.

I dont want someone like that playing for my club.
+1.
Boot him off the team.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Meh, it all boils down to the fact our national team sucks. England is every as bit as diverse as Canada, but you never hear about this over there (okay, England kind of "suck" too, but it's super relative). There's an element of chicken and egg to it.

As for booting someone off the team because they want to play for a country other than Canada, hardly a very Canadian thing to do. Can't fire someone because you don't like the way he's exercising his freedoms. I think a more reasonable thing to do would be to demand that players in the U20 and U23 setup commit to Canada at the senior level.

This is a problem that's not going to go away until soccer is bigger in Canada and the men's team grows in stature too.

rocker
11-28-2010, 11:36 PM
if these guys stopped defecting our team would be better. it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

hopefully some good canadian players come along and have the balls the take the tough, but noble route, rather than jumping to an easier option.

ag futbol
11-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Let`s face it, once FIFA made those rule changes things have been completely flipped on their head. If you`re a country like Canada you have to compete to retain your players which is pathetic but in other ways good because it forces the CSA to clean up their act.

But really, if were talking about competing against Jamaica, is it REALLY about he CSA. They are every bit as backwards as we are.

I just think these guys are stating the facts. If they are good enough they most likely will commit for Canada. If it doesn`t look like they can fit well in the program they will play for Jamaica.

Stouffville_RPB
11-29-2010, 08:37 AM

I know for a fact that when players come into the academy they have to sign papers stating their intention to play for Canada.

razor787
11-29-2010, 09:43 AM
As for booting someone off the team because they want to play for a country other than Canada, hardly a very Canadian thing to do. Can't fire someone because you don't like the way he's exercising his freedoms. I think a more reasonable thing to do would be to demand that players in the U20 and U23 setup commit to Canada at the senior level.

Why not? The academy is a training ground to improve players to prep them not only for TFC but for the canadian nats. If a player states that he doesnt know if he is going to play for Canada, then why waste money developing him? Tell him he either commits, or he is gone (have vancouver and any other Canadian academy do the same).

Im tired of seeing players go through the Canadian ranks, just to stab us in the back later on.

Fort York Redcoat
11-29-2010, 10:17 AM
you'd be hard pressed to find a single person who cares even a little if we reject a player and they go off and play for another country. footballers should love to play, and to challenge themselves at the highest level.

Haha! Well said Azer!

Whoop
11-29-2010, 10:37 AM
I know for a fact that when players come into the academy they have to sign papers stating their intention to play for Canada.

Yeah, didn't the Academy make a big stink about this earlier?

Fort York Redcoat
11-29-2010, 10:57 AM
This keeps up and the regional rivalry with Jamaica will reach new heights.

ochos
11-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Get him to commit to Canada and lock him up, or kick him out of the Academy.

You can bet that Morgan will not here the end of it from myself from myself and the supporters if he chooses Jamaica over Canada. He'll be forced off the team..

Wull
11-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Why not? The academy is a training ground to improve players to prep them not only for TFC but for the canadian nats. If a player states that he doesnt know if he is going to play for Canada, then why waste money developing him? Tell him he either commits, or he is gone (have vancouver and any other Canadian academy do the same).

Im tired of seeing players go through the Canadian ranks, just to stab us in the back later on.

You can't exclude players based on that, you'd have a lawsuit in a heartbeat.

I don't really give a fuck which nationality they are. I agree that if they visited it once on holiday they shouldn't be allowed to play for that team but, ultimately, the TFC academy is for the benefit of TFC. If we scouted and brought in Messi 2 from Argentina at 14 and had him at the academy, I'm not going to complain when he opts for Argentina. Basically TFC's academy should be for the benefit of TFC. Canada shouldn't really come into the conversation

Stouffville_RPB
11-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Yeah, didn't the Academy make a big stink about this earlier?

This did come up previously.

Stuart Neely cleared it up when he spoke at one of the coaching sessions. He flat out said that when players are brought into the academy they sign papers stating their intent to represent Canada.

deltox
11-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Canada's MNT is being built through the academy's of impact, caps and TFC.

there really isnt any other option for building the MNT

Pinkie
11-29-2010, 11:44 AM
^^ but thats normal, no? take germany for example- it's because the bundesliga teams have an amazing academy that their national team kicks ass...no?

prizby
11-29-2010, 11:56 AM
^^ but thats normal, no? take germany for example- it's because the bundesliga teams have an amazing academy that their national team kicks ass...no?

actually, its because Klinsmann reworked the youth soccer system in Germany in 2004!

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-29-2010, 09:15 PM

? Is it? Isn't the express purpose of the academy to develop players for TFC? Don't see where the national team program enters into. It would be nice if TFC academy players would want to play for Canada, but I don't see how they can be forced to. Whats make anyone think TFC should have that kind of control over there individual players? It's bordering on authoritarian.

That said I can see how the national team setup at the U20 and U23 levels could make such a demand. The lower level national team squads have a direct and organic connection to the senior mens team, unlike TFC.

TFCRegina
11-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Guys, Morgan, at the very least, is committed. Some of the V's know his family and contacted them after this article. He remains committed.

razor787
11-29-2010, 10:01 PM
? Is it? Isn't the express purpose of the academy to develop players for TFC? Don't see where the national team program enters into. It would be nice if TFC academy players would want to play for Canada, but I don't see how they can be forced to. Whats make anyone think TFC should have that kind of control over there individual players? It's bordering on authoritarian.

That said I can see how the national team setup at the U20 and U23 levels could make such a demand. The lower level national team squads have a direct and organic connection to the senior mens team, unlike TFC.

MLSE has said it several times in the past that they think its important to build Canadian talent. Not only players, but staff as well. Thats why we have Daso and Cochrane. If MLSE didn't care about getting them experience so they can potentially move to the CDN national team, they would have been gone when preki came in.

How is it authoritarian to tell someone "we are giving you amazing training to be a pro footballer, but out only condition is you join the Canadian national team"

They should know that they either stay true to the country that taught them, and commit to their team if called up, or they don't get the training.

For morgan to say "I don't know where I'm going to play" really loses respect from me. You should be excited to play for the Canadian team, not debate about it as if you just got contracts from 2 club teams.

@Regina- that sounds like damage control. The family realizes he said something he shouldn't have, and are trying to bury the evidence.

Azerban
11-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Whats make anyone think TFC should have that kind of control over there individual players? It's bordering on authoritarian.

we don't keep them in a rape dungeon

scooter
11-29-2010, 10:08 PM
the fact that we even have to talk about this sums it up for me ---unfuckinbelievable

no one is saying that if you develop in this country to be good enough to play in europe that we are going to hold you back be it england,spain etc

but play for your country damm it

TFCRegina
11-29-2010, 10:16 PM
http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?41250-Canada-s-Boyz-Toronto-trio-ponders-national-options

Register and make your comments known if you disagree. Unfortunately, I disagree with the belief that Canada is second choice with these guys.

Brooker
11-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Tread carefully, Morgan. Fucking carefully! :D

Jamaicanadian
11-29-2010, 10:55 PM
I just read the article....Seems to me that these young guys are victims of their Canadian politeness...

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Taking away people's freedom of choice just because you don't like the choices they're making is authoritarian.

I'd prefer that TFC academy players would want to play for Canada. I just don't see how it's a club football team's function to make them do that. This is one of those things, it's so easy to make judgements about players in this position. I'd like to think I'd choose Canada without hesitation, I just don't think any of us are really in a position to understand the factors at play in each individual case. As an example, although a little abstract of this specific case, if you were a Canadian footballer with the opportunity to play for a major European nation, I think from a professional development perspective, it would a difficult choice. Playing for a major European team can do huge things for your career.

For whatever reason, I just never got that into national team soccer team. I watch all the tournaments and have gone to the Canadian mens teams matches, but I just don't live and die with it or find it as interesting as club football. Sport as representation of a country just doesn't resonate with me. Also I hate hockey.

razor787
11-30-2010, 01:40 AM
Taking away people's freedom of choice just because you don't like the choices they're making is authoritarian.

I'd prefer that TFC academy players would want to play for Canada. I just don't see how it's a club football team's function to make them do that. This is one of those things, it's so easy to make judgements about players in this position. I'd like to think I'd choose Canada without hesitation, I just don't think any of us are really in a position to understand the factors at play in each individual case. As an example, although a little abstract of this specific case, if you were a Canadian footballer with the opportunity to play for a major European nation, I think from a professional development perspective, it would a difficult choice. Playing for a major European team can do huge things for your career.

For whatever reason, I just never got that into national team soccer team. I watch all the tournaments and have gone to the Canadian mens teams matches, but I just don't live and die with it or find it as interesting as club football. Sport as representation of a country just doesn't resonate with me. Also I hate hockey.

Its not removing their choice to pick a different country. If they want to leave, then they wont be shot for treason. All it does, is let the players know that if they wont support the canadian national team, then they will not get any support from the CSA or any of the canadian teams in return.

If I was a professional athlete and I had the option to play for England (my families heritage) I would turn it down. I am PROUD to be Canadian, and I would wear my shirt with honour.

rocker
11-30-2010, 01:44 AM
As an example, although a little abstract of this specific case, if you were a Canadian footballer with the opportunity to play for a major European nation, I think from a professional development perspective, it would a difficult choice. Playing for a major European team can do huge things for your career.

But that's the point of complaints people have, I think. Club football is where you make your career. National football is where your ego and personal interests should disappear (you are not paid for it, you are working on behalf of a far greater community), and you serve your country. They are two totally different things.

I just find it sad that players would choose to serve a foreign country instead of their own, for the selfishness of career advancement.

I'm also not sure that country play helps your career. Many players get noticed for country play because of success in their professional club, not the other way around. So chances are, if you're on the national team, you're already successful in your career -- that's what got you noticed in the first place. Remember that many national coaches will not even call up a player if he's not in form with his pro club.

To me it's just very cynical stuff to have a born and raised Canadian play for another country for selfish reasons.

My father is German but I have no real connection to Germany myself... never been there... I can't imagine desiring to play for Germany. I have no love for the country... it would be just job... like playing for any team. Having been born in Toronto, I would love like hell to play for Canada, and be the guy to take them to the World Cup though...

TFCRegina
11-30-2010, 01:48 AM

Yeah, but it's not about your pro career, it's about serving your country. If all the Whoregreaves of the world chose to play for Canada, we'd likely be a hell of a lot better as a national club and the game would have a higher profile with more money available.

People like you apologize for people being traitors. That's not right.

Macksam
11-30-2010, 09:40 AM
You can't exclude players based on that, you'd have a lawsuit in a heartbeat.

I don't really give a fuck which nationality they are. I agree that if they visited it once on holiday they shouldn't be allowed to play for that team but, ultimately, the TFC academy is for the benefit of TFC. If we scouted and brought in Messi 2 from Argentina at 14 and had him at the academy, I'm not going to complain when he opts for Argentina. Basically TFC's academy should be for the benefit of TFC. Canada shouldn't really come into the conversation
No, you wouldn't. Also, if you think a kid born here, raised here and who learned the game here ends up playing for another country, do you really think he would be loyal to TFC?

It goes hand in hand.

You shouldn't have a choice when it comes to this. You grow up here and learn the game here, you play for us. If he's not good enough, by all means try Jamaica out.

Fort York Redcoat
11-30-2010, 09:58 AM

I'm sorry your patriotic bone was removed. It's probably a question of frequency. Club football is plentiful where your country only plays from time to time and instead of making that special many people don't feel a familiar connection. Shame really.

Macksam
11-30-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm sorry your patriotic bone was removed. It's probably a question of frequency. Club football is plentiful where your country only plays from time to time and instead of making that special many people don't feel a familiar connection. Shame really.
Here here Fort York Redcoat. :drinking:

Canada versus Jamaica was the most fun I ever had at BMO.:canada:

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-30-2010, 10:44 AM

I'm proud to be Canadian, I just don't associate it with sport at all and I think that's a good thing. Sport is supposed to be fun, not a pre tense to boss teenagers around like everyone else seems to think it is.

I am enough of a football fan to attend CMNT matches and I cheer for Canada while I'm there.

Wull
11-30-2010, 11:06 AM
No, you wouldn't. Also, if you think a kid born here, raised here and who learned the game here ends up playing for another country, do you really think he would be loyal to TFC?

If you get booted out on that basis you have a case of discrimination. It's blatant

Macksam
11-30-2010, 12:29 PM
If you get booted out on that basis you have a case of discrimination. It's blatant
You signed the contract. You don't fulfill the obligations, too bad for you.

Carts
11-30-2010, 12:32 PM
FIFA should just drop all this 'where you're family is from shit' and go back to making it wherever you were born. End of.

It really is getting to that point...

Personally, why doesn't Canada cap Maicon Santos - he's never gonna get a sniff at the Brazilian team.

Toss him in a friendly and see what happens..

Every other country caps everyone they can to secure them - the CSA should...

Wait, that would mean the CSA would actually be thinking and proactive - forget it, never will it happen...

Carts...

Wull
11-30-2010, 12:33 PM
You signed the contract. You don't fulfill the obligations, too bad for you.

Wait for the first case then

razor787
11-30-2010, 12:44 PM

Thats not discrimination. Thats simply saying "we wont train you so that you can jump ship to somewhere else"

The player would have the choice. They can either stay with the academy, and get their training, and agree to play for the country that has, and continues to support them.

Or

The player can choose to play for a different country, but know that he is losing the support of the clubs academy, the CSA, and respect from every canadian football fan.

Why should the clubs/CSA support players that have shown they may not/will not play for Canada.

The academy systems we have here are really new. We have already graduated 2 people from our system, so in the future, we will get other players coming up from our academy. If players state they may be looking at different countries, then we will be able to fill their spot with someone that wants to be here.

That isnt discrimination. Thats not illegal. Its simply the organizations not putting up with the players shit.

rocker
11-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Here here Fort York Redcoat. :drinking:

Canada versus Jamaica was the most fun I ever had at BMO.:canada:

same here. I was so happy but tense that night.. I was so hyped up but also angry at the "Canadians" near me cheering on a foreign country in my country... But proud at the support that night that drowned them out.

It was actually the most patriotic I've ever felt. THAT's when it hit me.

Maybe in a few generations these kids parents will be Canadian, even if their parents were from some foreign country, and they will never be able to play for another country.

J .
11-30-2010, 02:14 PM
"I have a Jamaican jersey, I have a Canada jersey," Morgan explained with a laugh over two years later. "... I had my Jamaican jersey on."

I hope he suffers a career ending injury. He should get on the next boat home.

TFCRegina
11-30-2010, 02:16 PM
It really is getting to that point...

Personally, why doesn't Canada cap Maicon Santos - he's never gonna get a sniff at the Brazilian team.

Toss him in a friendly and see what happens..

Every other country caps everyone they can to secure them - the CSA should...

Wait, that would mean the CSA would actually be thinking and proactive - forget it, never will it happen...

Carts...

The new FIFA rules are very stringent in that respect anyway. It's something like 5 years residency, plus citizenship.

Wull
11-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Thats not discrimination. Thats simply saying "we wont train you so that you can jump ship to somewhere else"

The player would have the choice. They can either stay with the academy, and get their training, and agree to play for the country that has, and continues to support them.

Or

The player can choose to play for a different country, but know that he is losing the support of the clubs academy, the CSA, and respect from every canadian football fan.

Why should the clubs/CSA support players that have shown they may not/will not play for Canada.

The academy systems we have here are really new. We have already graduated 2 people from our system, so in the future, we will get other players coming up from our academy. If players state they may be looking at different countries, then we will be able to fill their spot with someone that wants to be here.

That isnt discrimination. Thats not illegal. Its simply the organizations not putting up with the players shit.

Canada and its clubs are two separate entities. The academy belongs to TFC not the CSA. If they throw someone out for pledging allegiance to a different country, they are discriminating against non-Canadians (technically) and as such could be hit with a lawsuit.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the sentiment on here, you just can't do it under Canadian law. It would be like my company firing me for not taking up Canadian citizenship even though I'm a permanent resident or firing me for getting Australian citizenship even though it does not affect them in the eyes of the law.

ag futbol
11-30-2010, 03:15 PM
I think you'd have to look a little closer at the circumstances to see whether this actually fits the bill. If TFC can align the policy with it's business objectives discrimination goes out the window.

Macksam
11-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Canada and its clubs are two separate entities. The academy belongs to TFC not the CSA. If they throw someone out for pledging allegiance to a different country, they are discriminating against non-Canadians (technically) and as such could be hit with a lawsuit.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the sentiment on here, you just can't do it under Canadian law. It would be like my company firing me for not taking up Canadian citizenship even though I'm a permanent resident or firing me for getting Australian citizenship even though it does not affect them in the eyes of the law.

If they make you sign papers saying to be apart of our academy, you have to play for Canada, that is it. If they reject you because you don't want to do that, that is no grounds for discrimination.

J .
11-30-2010, 03:48 PM
They should discriminate 100%. This is competitive football and wasting resources to develop talent for other nations is not what we should continue to be about.

The players get to choose where they play. The teams get to choose who plays for them. Everyone has a choice.

Azerban
11-30-2010, 04:45 PM

citizenship and fifa eligibility are two seperate entities

also, is tfc being forced to have a certain number of domestic players discrimination?

Wull
11-30-2010, 05:10 PM
citizenship and fifa eligibility are two seperate entities

also, is tfc being forced to have a certain number of domestic players discrimination?

That's being looked at in either the sports or european courts at the moment. I don't really have an issue with it personally but the law being an ass and all that ....

Macksam
11-30-2010, 10:52 PM
That's being looked at in either the sports or european courts at the moment. I don't really have an issue with it personally but the law being an ass and all that ....
Don't have an issue? If that's the case, why were you crying about it a page back?

SilverSamurai
12-01-2010, 03:57 PM
They should discriminate 100%. This is competitive football and wasting resources to develop talent for other nations is not what we should continue to be about.

The players get to choose where they play. The teams get to choose who plays for them. Everyone has a choice.
+1.

Mexico does it blatantly. Yet if we did it here everyone cries foul.

Also playing for the CMNT has no effect on the club career.

Let's look at it from a citizenship POV. Which citizenship do you think is going to carry more "weight" or favourable? I don't think either would be a big deal when it comes to wanting to play in Europe. Even if someone has dual citizenship (EU/UK and Canadian) why would choosing the CMNT affect someone's club? (excluding the Euro teams that don't like players coming over to play here) but would saying "I want to play for the CMNT." be any different in the eyes of Euro clubs vs. a player saying "I want to play for the JMNT"? Me thinks not.

Anyways, tell him to make up his mind and be done w/ it. If he doesn't want to play for Canada, then the kid should be shown the door.

Wull
12-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Don't have an issue? If that's the case, why were you crying about it a page back?

It's not a matter of what I think should be allowed, it's a matter of what can be done from a legal standpoint

Macksam
12-01-2010, 08:29 PM
It's not a matter of what I think should be allowed, it's a matter of what can be done from a legal standpoint
You're wrong on that end as well.

J .
12-01-2010, 09:15 PM
+1.

Mexico does it blatantly. Yet if we did it here everyone cries foul.

Also playing for the CMNT has no effect on the club career.

Let's look at it from a citizenship POV. Which citizenship do you think is going to carry more "weight" or favourable? I don't think either would be a big deal when it comes to wanting to play in Europe. Even if someone has dual citizenship (EU/UK and Canadian) why would choosing the CMNT affect someone's club? (excluding the Euro teams that don't like players coming over to play here) but would saying "I want to play for the CMNT." be any different in the eyes of Euro clubs vs. a player saying "I want to play for the JMNT"? Me thinks not.

Anyways, tell him to make up his mind and be done w/ it. If he doesn't want to play for Canada, then the kid should be shown the door.

Yup.

Canadian soccer should look out for itself and look for results. It needs to be cutthroat.

Juanito
12-01-2010, 10:10 PM

I thought so too. I must have been daydreaming.

Juanito
12-01-2010, 10:12 PM
or Athletic Bilbao for that matter

If Canada says to Morgan, look your not in our future plans, feel free to look elsewhere...than i don't have a problem with a Canadian born playing for Jamaica

But if he rides his pony up the canadian system then has a change of heart...it'd be real disappointing and if he signs with the senior team and starts playing with TFC, he will probably be hurting his career and the team because I as a fan would have no problem booing his every touch.

Hopefully he will see some sort of reception he will get when Teal Bunbury comes to town in 2011

Athletic Bilbao is even worse. They only take "Basque" players. That would be like TFC saying we will only get guys from Ontario. Forget those BC and Quebec bastards!

trane
12-03-2010, 03:28 PM
You have to take his comments with a grain of salt he is speaking to a Jamaican paper, it may be that he just does not wish to offend them.