PDA

View Full Version : Supporters Shield

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2010, 02:50 PM
I honestly think id be happier winning the supporters shield year in and year out as opposed to winning the cup year in and year out.

Someone suggested on another forum that the supporters shield winners should get a bye to the finals. I kinda like the idea but am intrigued by dilemmas (some people said match fitness as they wouldnt play anyone for 2 or so weeks)

What do you folks think?

Hitcho
11-26-2010, 02:54 PM
If you come from a place where the league title is more prestigious than a domestic cup (like most places that play soccer) then you'd plump for the SS. If you're raised on the play off system then you likely don't give a monkey's about the SS and just want to see a good play off run and a win in the final.

I'm in the league title/supporters' shield camp. However, if you're going to have a play off system then it only really works if you make everyone go through it and don't give the winner a bye to the final because A) you lose a lot of the drama that seems ot make play offs compelling and B) instantly give the best team in the league a 50-50 chance of doing the "double", which further undermines the excitement of a "post season".

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2010, 02:56 PM
very good argument

BS1327
11-26-2010, 03:02 PM
I agree that winning the Supporters Shield should be more of an honour, but that's the European style. This league is American and there just seems to be more pride for a playoff system. It generates more revenue by playing more games. I don't think the Galaxy would have accepted a 3 week layoff, losing 2 home games.

The same goes for hockey in the NHL. The President's Trophy Champions have only won the cup 7 times in a 25 year period. Anything can happen in the playoffs, and it was shown this year with two lower seeded western conference teams compeating for the cup.

Fort York Redcoat
11-26-2010, 03:08 PM
The playoff is NA tradition gone awry.

There is no need for any league worth it's salt to have them anymore. Transportation and sizable distance are the reasoning and now we're stuck with this cockamamie idea that it's more exciting to reward someone undeserving.

"It's just the way it's done here" Yeah that doesn't make it any better and no excuse to be so stubborn for change.

NBS
11-26-2010, 03:13 PM
I thought of that idea before, with the supporters shield winners advancing straight through to the finals, but also thought that match fitness would be an issue as it's too much of a layoff. Here's a couple of fine tuning ideas that might help:

1) Supporters shield winner never has to play on the road, including potentially the MLS Cup(so no more neutral site)

2) You must defeat the supporters shield winner in the playoffs. A draw will the supporters shield winner does not go to a shootout or overtime, the supporters shield winners are awarded the victory in the event of a draw.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2010, 03:15 PM
I dont think we should do away with the playoffs BUT i definitely think there needs to a bigger award/deal made of the supporters shield

Fort York Redcoat
11-26-2010, 03:18 PM
I dont think we should do away with the playoffs BUT i definitely think there needs to a bigger award/deal made of the supporters shield

A "walk of honour" or whatever it's called in La Liga. Help me out LA liga fans...

It's a great way to get the message out there to those that don't know it's a bigger achievement.

Brooker
11-26-2010, 05:37 PM
I grew up watching the NHL... so the SS = The Presidents Trophy. It proves you had a good season, but now prove you're the real deal in the playoffs. Most usually fail.

prizby
11-26-2010, 05:41 PM
allowing them a direct bye to the final is detremental...that'd be 3 weeks off...they'd lose match fitness

Fort York Redcoat
11-26-2010, 06:15 PM
I grew up watching the NHL... so the SS = The Presidents Trophy. It proves you had the best season, but now prove you're the real deal in the playoffs. Most usually fail.

fixed

NBS
11-26-2010, 06:31 PM

There is no need for any league worth it's salt to have them anymore. Transportation and sizable distance are the reasoning and now we're stuck with this cockamamie idea that it's more exciting to reward someone undeserving.

"It's just the way it's done here" Yeah that doesn't make it any better and no excuse to be so stubborn for change.

I find that arguing about relative merits of playoffs vs no playoffs is a pointless endeavor. It's a personal taste thing, usually based on personal history more than argumentative points, which is why most arguments about it never go anywhere. Both sides already know all the arguments, but personal taste is what it is. If you like playoffs, you aren't very likely to change your mind and if you don't, you aren't likely to change your mind either.

Blowing Bubbles
11-26-2010, 06:48 PM

Actually there are very good economic reasons for having the playoffs in MLS.

I'm sorry but there's just no interest in the fights for 4th and 6th place for continental tournament qualification, there is no relegation battle, and there is no prestigious knockout Cup during the year.

What would happen to ticket sales in the EPL in March-May if you eliminated the Champions League, Europa League, FA Cup and had no relegation? Ticket sales would get creamed for a lot of teams who no longer have any milestones beyond winning the title.

And this is a league that can't bleed revenue just to be more "like Europe". They still need to max out anyway they can to eventually build a better product with the extra revenues.

Brooker
11-26-2010, 07:09 PM
fixed

my apologies kind sir. :D

jloome
11-26-2010, 07:59 PM
I find that arguing about relative merits of playoffs vs no playoffs is a pointless endeavor. It's a personal taste thing, usually based on personal history more than argumentative points, which is why most arguments about it never go anywhere. Both sides already know all the arguments, but personal taste is what it is. If you like playoffs, you aren't very likely to change your mind and if you don't, you aren't likely to change your mind either.

Having said that, there's no rational way to argue that a playoff winner of four or five games deserves the title more than one who comes in first place after 30 games. The latter is obviously a tougher achievement.

If someone loves playoffs, they love playoffs. But given the absence of real advantage in a parity league (just look at our titlist the last two years) there's no way it's equal to winning the league.

NBS
11-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Having said that, there's no rational way to argue that a playoff winner of four or five games deserves the title more than one who comes in first place after 30 games. The latter is obviously a tougher achievement.

If someone loves playoffs, they love playoffs. But given the absence of real advantage in a parity league (just look at our titlist the last two years) there's no way it's equal to winning the league.

The fact of the matter is that people who feel playoffs is pointless will be personally satisfied with the supporters shield. People who consider playoffs the true championship test will be satisfied with the MLS cup. Having both tailors to each type.

However, I can counter by saying that the intensity of the regular season is not equivalent to the intensity of the playoffs, given that the players themselves know the league title is on the line once the playoffs start. So playoffs could be considered a bigger achievement that separates the men from the boys. In every sport there are teams that can manage good regular season records but don't have the fortitude to step up once the playoffs start. San Jose sharks in hockey. Twins in baseball. Mavs in basketball. Even if they have the best records in the league, they can't seem to cut it when the intensity ratchets up in the playoffs. Thus they will never be considered true champions. In fact those teams are often looked down upon for not having the heart required to get it done in the playoffs, they are sometimes referred to as "pretenders" for this reason.