PDA

View Full Version : Best Signing for TFC ever??

gracos
11-26-2010, 12:31 PM
I wonder which player current or past that other fellow TFC fans would find to be the best? List His name, and position, and why you liked him

CretanBull
11-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Raivis Hscanovics - his signing made it painfully obvious to even the most dedicated appologists that Mo hadn't a clue what he was doing and needed to be fired.

MartinUtd
11-26-2010, 12:37 PM
As far as veteran players go, I think i'd say these are on my short list:

I'd say Adrian Cann. He's the physically imposing central defender that we never had. Also on a fraction of the money Guevara and DeRo were making who were on my short list, thus making him their best ever signing (IMO).

MartinUtd
11-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Raivis Hscanovics - his signing made it painfully obvious to even the most dedicated appologists that Mo hadn't a clue what he was doing and needed to be fired.

lol, indirect but effective. You could say same for Nane re:Preki.

CommradePolski
11-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Id have to go with Frei. Whoever scouted him to our team saw greatness and Frei has proven it game in and game out.

JonO
11-26-2010, 01:19 PM
My understanding was that both Hscanovics and Usanov were Preki's choices, not Mo's

Nuvinho
11-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Guevara.

Parkdale
11-26-2010, 01:21 PM
DeRo.

come on guys......

Island Man
11-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Id have to go with Frei. Whoever scouted him to our team saw greatness and Frei has proven it game in and game out.

Very much agreee with this.

1) Frei 2) De Ro 3) Cann

Parkdale
11-26-2010, 01:32 PM

ummm.... we got lucky.

He was in the draft and didn't go as high as was expected, so we picked him up because he was still an option. Hardly something that a scout (or Mo) could take credit for.

Dbl_D
11-26-2010, 01:33 PM
release the Gargan... (frei, de ro, cann for sure) but Dan is the best value for $ ;)

"He’s done it all for $40,000 (all figures U.S.) — the minimum salary in Major League Soccer. That character you can call Dan Bargain."

Jeffro
11-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Dichio.

Smokecell
11-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Adrian Cann.

DeRo was a trade, I don't really consider it a signing

Hitcho
11-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Brennan - historically important first player and captain; first season MOTY and iron man

Dichio - because he's Danny Dichio

De Ro - home town hero we never thought we'd see come here and boy has he done the business since he did

Gargan - just because of the Pookie shorts :D

ensco
11-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Dichio.

DeRo's not a signing. Everyone knew what he could do in this league.

Lucky Strike
11-26-2010, 03:18 PM
The absolute best signing?

Though Dan Bargain makes less (40K), I'd say Adrian Cann because at 65K, he was the one who finally brought solidity and competence to our back line. He arguably played a more important role than Gargan. That and he also made Attakora and Harden better than they otherwise could be. Finally, (and though this is indirect) it allowed Garcia to be moved to LB, a position he seems far more comfortable in where he makes fewer calamitous mistakes.

And I don't say this lightly, Dichio was and remains my favourite player of all-time followed by Gargan.

Belfast_Boy
11-26-2010, 03:27 PM
gotta be Dero. even though he's pissed me off recently.

rocker
11-26-2010, 03:42 PM
I'd say Dichio... the chant lives on because of his impact.

TFCRegina
11-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Dichio.

DeRo's not a signing. Everyone knew what he could do in this league.

By that standard Jeff Cunningham should have been a lock. Whether you like the fucker or not, he has scored a shitload of goals.

MartinUtd
11-26-2010, 04:25 PM
By that standard Jeff Cunningham should have been a lock. Whether you like the fucker or not, he has scored a shitload of goals.

Did he score any more than Barrett did last year? I don't think so. I tried looking it up but it seems his history at TFC has been scrubbed from the MLS records.. check it out (click the stats tab)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/jeff-cunningham

ArmenJBX
11-26-2010, 04:38 PM
The greatest signing in Toronto FC's history is Nathan Sturgis, for the simple reason that Mo Johnston did not sign him.

J .
11-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Andy Welsh. The best wide player TFC has ever had.

Anyone have his jersey?

Red CB Toronto
11-26-2010, 05:05 PM

Anyone have his jersey?

Well I do not, but I ran into Andy when I was in London last year. He told me that forcing his way out of Toronto for a return to The Championship wit Blackpoole was a big mistake, I thought he took way to much crap when he was here.

Cunny also was one of my favourite players when he was here, I know most took a disliking to him but I found him to be quite a good guy. I have a signed photo from each of his six goals for the Reds and he also added the number that the goal represented for his MLS career, he scored goals 94-99 while with Toronto.

acorn34
11-26-2010, 05:19 PM

Anyone have his jersey?

Unfortunately - I do have a Welsh jersey from the first year. I've seen one other - a real 'collector's' item.....

bgnewf
11-26-2010, 05:24 PM

Anyone have his jersey?

Nicholas Lindsay can run rings around him.

J .
11-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Unfortunately - I do have a Welsh jersey from the first year. I've seen one other - a real 'collector's' item.....

What size is it?

J .
11-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Nicholas Lindsay can run rings around him.

We'll never know cause Welsh is too good to come back and play in MLS. I think he may even get a call from Capello...

TFCRegina
11-26-2010, 06:29 PM
We'll never know cause Welsh is too good to come back and play in MLS. I think he may even get a call from Capello...

That was a good laugh.

TFC_Toon
11-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Olivier Tebily for all of about 45 minutes I think it was, he just oozed class everytime he touched the ball, pure quality.

Island Man
11-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Did he score any more than Barrett did last year? I don't think so. I tried looking it up but it seems his history at TFC has been scrubbed from the MLS records.. check it out (click the stats tab)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/jeff-cunningham

Cunningham scored 6 in 32 MLS games for us.

Island Man
11-26-2010, 07:20 PM
It should of been Laurent Robert, was class in his day.

Vitti <3

Brooker
11-26-2010, 07:27 PM
I guess I'm biased and it's Dichio because he turned me from a fan into a TFC diehard.

Skillwise I guess I'd have to say DeRo, Guevara or Frei. Although I feel like I'm missing someone.

It should of been Laurent Robert, was class in his day.

Pretty much!

Jeffro
11-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Olivier Tebily for all of about 45 minutes I think it was, he just oozed class everytime he touched the ball, pure quality.

Too bad after he got injured he was too diva to play in the reserves to get back to match fitness and never made it back to the first team before he took off....

jloome
11-26-2010, 07:55 PM
ummm.... we got lucky.

He was in the draft and didn't go as high as was expected, so we picked him up because he was still an option. Hardly something that a scout (or Mo) could take credit for.

He was passed over by Chivas for Jean Alexandre. I kid you not.

jloome
11-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Danny Dichio. Gave the club a heart.

ag futbol
11-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Nicholas Lindsay can run rings around him.\Gabe Gala probably could have run circles around him. He was terrible.

The number of times he got punked trying to take his man on from a wide position was hilarious. He was about as frail as a 10 year old girl and had no pace and limited ability to compensate.

acorn34
11-27-2010, 06:33 PM
What size is it?
It's a men's small - not looking to get rid of it.

Razcle
11-27-2010, 07:30 PM

This was my choice. Too bad we never really got to know him. He could have been a contender.

Dont think he has played since we released him

Island Man
11-27-2010, 07:35 PM
No he hasn't, returned to France due to family and never played for another team.

Shakes McQueen
11-27-2010, 07:45 PM
"Best signing" to me indicates a player that has an impact on the team. Based on that, I'm not comfortable giving anyone my vote, until a player comes along that actually makes the team noticeably better - both in quality of play, and the results column.

- Scott

Damien
12-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Amado Guevara
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2008/04/26/guevara-a-392-080413.jpg

I prefer him to DeRo to be honest...

Milky
12-02-2010, 04:40 PM
For me it's a toss-up between Danny Dichio and Dwayne DeRosario.

The Dichio debate: He gave the fans someone to look up to and became a hero in Toronto. He just means so much to the supporters.

The DeRo debate: He is arguably the one player who almost single-handedly brought the most success to this club. He's done so much on the pitch that his good work is only un-done by the infamous check-signing incident.

Still, for me, it's a toss-up. I can't choose between the two. Maurice Edu also deserves honourable mention, but he didn't stick around long enough to be a contender for this category.

Wull
12-02-2010, 04:55 PM
De Rosario then Guevara

trane
12-02-2010, 06:11 PM
I would have to point to two.

Danny Dichio. He was effective when not injured, and made the team better, when he was on the pitch. he score, he defende, he helped organize, and he lead us to some of our better football. WHEN HE PLAYED.

De Ro. He was brought for offence and he brought offence.

Cashcleaner
12-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Amado Guevara
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2008/04/26/guevara-a-392-080413.jpg

I prefer him to DeRo to be honest...

I think DeRo just edges him out, but I agree that Guevara was a class act with TFC.

Hey...now that Preki is gone, I wonder if we could entice him back?...

razor787
12-02-2010, 06:40 PM
He is too now. We would need to pay a transfer, and then we would only have him for a year or two. Not worth it.

Cashcleaner
12-02-2010, 07:08 PM
He is too now. We would need to pay a transfer, and then we would only have him for a year or two. Not worth it.

I'm cool with having him for one or two seasons.

ag futbol
12-02-2010, 07:15 PM
I think we should focus our effort on getting the next Amado Guevara. Great player, really liked him here, but that boat has sailed.

We should take some chances on guys who are in their late 20's early 30's who still have plenty of time left. Probably someone who couldn't cut Europe but excels in South America and wouldn't mind a mild pay day.