PDA

View Full Version : Should MLS change its logo?

NBS
11-26-2010, 02:58 AM
First post here, although I've enjoyed reading the comments on here for the past couple of years.

My question pertains to Major League Soccer's logo. We have seen a trend in MLS towards more traditional team crests and names (the Kansas City re-branding being the most recent example), but the MLS logo seems stuck in the mid 90's. I recently went to purchase a TFC jersey. I loved the crest, I loved the flag, but that logo is a bit of an eyesore. It may appear to be a trivial matter, it probably is, but it's the identity of the league and I don't know if it reflects the league for where it is now, or at least the direction it's trying to go.

TFC Bhoy
11-26-2010, 03:04 AM
not going to say it wouldn't be nice to update it a bit. But in my mind there are things MUCH more important for the league to focus on that would put the logo way down the list. just my 2 cents

ilikemusic
11-26-2010, 03:08 AM
La Premier Bundesliga A-1

NBS
11-26-2010, 03:10 AM
^I understand there are more pressing issues. Believe me, I follow this league enough to know there is much to be done. I was just wondering people's opinions on it. Although I don't think something like this takes much in the way of resources, it probably doesn't hinder their ability to do anything else.

NBS
11-26-2010, 03:12 AM
La Premier Bundesliga A-1
I'm fine with the name. I wasn't at first, but it's uniquely us I suppose, I can live with it. Just that logo I can't stand.

MG42
11-26-2010, 03:22 AM
I agree NBS

kodiakTFC
11-26-2010, 03:32 AM
I kind of like it, I agree that is very American but i think it works.

NBS
11-26-2010, 03:43 AM
I kind of like it, I agree that is very American but i think it works.
I don't mind the fact that it's American so much, I'm fine with the NBA or MLB logo's for instance, and I don't think everything we do in our league has to have a European feel to it necessarily. Just in and of itself, I don't like it much.

razor787
11-26-2010, 04:03 AM
I hate the leagues name and logo. I dont care if its european or not, but it should be a more traditional name. 'Major League' makes it sound amatureish in a way. Like its trying too hard to be taken seriously. Although its not perfect, I would prefer 'National Soccer League'.

I do agree though, that there are more pressing matters than the leagues name and logo.

ochos
11-26-2010, 07:46 AM
^^ I'm going to have to disagree. Marketing is one of the most important things this league needs to focus more on, particularly to attract new fans and foreign talent. Let's not forget how integral the FA's re-branding/restructuring of their top flight division - the Premier League - was for the game of football on a global scale.

Granted I'm used to and fine with the term "M-L-S", I wouldn't care if they changed the name when putting in place a relegation/promotion system 10-15 years down the line.

But the logo is an eye sore. The Galaxy & Wizards are great examples of teams that have re-branded over the past years and it's about time MLS followed suit. Pressing? Certainly not, but it's not like they have to spend every waking hour thinking about it - that's what consulting firms are for. If the league does move to a single table format soon (even if only temporarily) it would be a great chance to re-brand themselves and usher in a new era professional soccer in North America

TOBOR !
11-26-2010, 07:48 AM
It doesn't strike me as being the worst of this lot. Not the best, but certainly not the worst :http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/305/diritti.jpg

I think it has it's own personality that sets it apart from the others somewhat.

Cashcleaner
11-26-2010, 07:51 AM
I've got a newsflash for people - WE'RE NOT IN EUROPE.

I see nothing wrong with keeping the current logo. It's fairly recognizable and people who haven't seen it before will get a general idea as to what it's about. Who cares if it doesn't look like a European league crest? We have our own unique identities here in Canada and the US.

http://www.funbumperstickers.com/images/MLS_logo2.gif

I mean, it's a shoe kicking a soccer ball. What more do you need?

TOBOR !
11-26-2010, 07:54 AM
@ CAsh - don't forget the colours representing the green grass and blue sky.

Cashcleaner
11-26-2010, 08:00 AM
^ And all this time I thought it was green for mucus and the blue for the dyed chemical they use to show on tv how effective certain brands of feminine napkins are at soaking up liquids.

But grass and sky makes sense now that you've mentioned it. :D

Fort York Redcoat
11-26-2010, 08:08 AM

I see nothing wrong with keeping the current logo. It's fairly recognizable and people who haven't seen it before will get a general idea as to what it's about. Who cares if it doesn't look like a European league crest? We have our own unique identities here in Canada and the US.

Class. Less Mickey Mouse.

" Children I want you to look at these crests and tell me which sport you want to play. Plus there will be orange slices."

I hate the leagues name and logo. I dont care if its european or not, but it should be a more traditional name. 'Major League' makes it sound amatureish in a way. Like its trying too hard to be taken seriously. Although its not perfect, I would prefer 'National Soccer League'.

Agreed. Love the irony.

Cashcleaner
11-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Class. Less Mickey Mouse.

" Children I want you to look at these crests and tell me which sport you want to play. Plus there will be orange slices."

Yeah, that makes sense. Because players are really concerned about logos and colours when deciding which teams they might want to play for.

Oldtimer
11-26-2010, 08:21 AM

+1

I have no problem with either the name or the logo. it's very North American, but that's where we live. As long as the game rules are the international ones and the support is real, that's what really matters.

CretanBull
11-26-2010, 08:25 AM
I've never liked the name, but as far as the logo goes...

Fort York Redcoat
11-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Yeah, that makes sense. Because players are really concerned about logos and colours when deciding which teams they might want to play for.

Yeah. They are. Not all the time. Most like money more but if you're saying that logo and colour have nothing to do with it you're just wrong. Your sarcasm falls flat.

__wowza
11-26-2010, 10:41 AM
i looks like clipart, i'll give you that, but i don't hate it.
in fact.. with the way the SKC logo looks, it could be much, much worse.

i'd take "i don't hate" over a possible piece of shit anyday.

jabbronies
11-26-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm ok with the logo idea but I do agree it does have a clip art look and feel. If they kept the idea of the foot and ball and just updated it, I think that would be good.

I hate the colours as well. Not sure why they have the blue and green.

Also

Chevy
11-26-2010, 11:11 AM
At least the current logo is WAY better than the one the dicks at bigsoccer preferred.

http://glassworksandwoodknots.com/images/flag_eagle.jpg

Carts
11-26-2010, 11:14 AM
I don't like the name "Major League Soccer"... But that being said, I really don't have an idea of what to call it...

If they did "American Premier League" people would rip them for being like Europe...

If they did "American League-1" they'd rip them for being - etc etc etc...

Hell, people would even rip "American" but that would refer to 'North America'...

Tough spot for the league to be in...

I think the logo could be updated, maybe use something that is very 'traditional' as the league crest...

Tough call...

Carts...

Carts
11-26-2010, 11:18 AM
It doesn't strike me as being the worst of this lot. Not the best, but certainly not the worst :http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/305/diritti.jpg

I think it has it's own personality that sets it apart from the others somewhat.

Looking at these logos, I wouldn't mind something that has the USA and Canadian flags in it - to brand the league internationally as USA/Canada...

There's some logos in there that I don't know what country they are from - and with our league seeking international regonition, I think that is a first step (being noticed) as such...

Carts...

Redcoe15
11-26-2010, 11:24 AM
The logo is fine the way it is. End of story.

boban
11-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Looking at these logos, I wouldn't mind something that has the USA and Canadian flags in it - to brand the league internationally as USA/Canada...
Never going to happen because it isn't Canadian- not even 1%.
Its a US league run under the USSF.

phonzo
11-26-2010, 11:48 AM
it needs more eagles in it..and if not eagles pedobear.

DangerRed
11-26-2010, 12:03 PM
The name should be:
La Premier Bundesliga Ekstraklasa Ersedivisie A-1

The logo should be:
http://www.arthursclipart.org/justforkids/mickey/mickey%20soccer.gif

Carts
11-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Never going to happen because it isn't Canadian- not even 1%.
Its a US league run under the USSF.

I agree with you that its never gonna happen... I would just like it to happen... LOL

Like winning the lottery - never gonna happen, but I keep buying the damn ticket! LOL

Carts... :D

kodiakTFC
11-26-2010, 12:25 PM

One word: Lasers.

BS1327
11-26-2010, 12:31 PM
I actually like the logo. Its simple and to the point! Honestly, based off mlb, and nba, the bundesliga logo looks more North American than ours...and I like their logo too. To me, its not really necessary to include a maple leaf or some stars in the logo.

MartinUtd
11-26-2010, 12:39 PM
It should look more like this

http://mls.theoffside.com/files/2009/03/revolution_logo.gif

TFC Via Buffalo
11-26-2010, 12:45 PM
The AmeriCanada Premias Ligeua

Batman
11-26-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm ok with the logo as it stands. At least it's not red, white and blue, like many US leagues / sports.

ochos
11-26-2010, 01:18 PM

I'm ok with the logo idea but I do agree it does have a clip art look and feel. If they kept the idea of the foot and ball and just updated it, I think that would be good.

I hate the colours as well. Not sure why they have the blue and green.

Also

1) I don't mind it all that much, but it certainly does need an update. I'd prefer something more akin to the Bundesliga (a la NBA/MLB/NHLPA)

2) Re-branding is an inevitability, as mentioned in my previous post

Parkdale
11-26-2010, 01:24 PM
oohhhhh off -season.

personally, I'm glad it's bit more involved than these two:

http://www.realclearsports.com/blognetwork/mlb_insights/MLB-Logo%2090.gif

http://www.frumpzilla.com/image_gallery/nba-logo.png

Cashcleaner
11-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Yeah. They are. Not all the time. Most like money more but if you're saying that logo and colour have nothing to do with it you're just wrong. Your sarcasm falls flat.

I assure you, it's probably the last thing on their minds.

Agent: Good news! The New England Revolution are interested in picking you up!
Player: Really? How much are they offering?
Agent: Guaranteed $300,000.
Player: Nice, nice. Now, I don't know much about the club, give me some idea here.
Agent: Okay, well they play in the MLS East Conference. They haven't won the MLS Cup, but they've made the finals four times. Pretty good fans, though. And it's a fairly new stadium built in 2002 with pretty decent facilities.
Player: Sounds good. What about the area? What city do they play in?
Agent: Well, the stadium is in Foxborough, Mass. Not really the sort of place you're used to, but it's close to Boston and that's a big US metropolis with a great nightlife and plenty of stuff to do for recreation. Trust me, there's plenty going on in the city.
Player: Okay, well that all sounds good. Just one more question.
Agent: Sure, what is it?
Player: What sort of logo does this team use? Actually, make that two questions. What sort of logo does the league have as well?
Agent: Ummmmmm, I'm not really sure how to answer that.
Player: It's just that I really want to play for a club and in a league that has badges with a more...I dunno, European look to them. You understand, right?
Agent: I'm hanging up now.

^ A very unlikely scenario.

LittleOzzy
11-26-2010, 02:11 PM
The logo is fine but the name should be National Soccer League.

NBA
NHL
NFL
NSL

DangerRed
11-26-2010, 02:26 PM
^MLB

Cashcleaner
11-26-2010, 02:46 PM
The logo is fine but the name should be National Soccer League.

NBA
NHL
NFL
NSL

But....it's not really a national league anymore. Not with Canadian cities now represented. Sure, it's a minor thing, but if people want to get really pedantic it's a bit of an inaccurate name.

NASL - There, I said it. That's the best one by far.

__wowza
11-26-2010, 02:48 PM
^ WNBA

http://paradoxdgn.com/junk/avatars/trollface.jpg

Parkdale
11-26-2010, 02:55 PM
I think it should look more like this:

http://peswiki.com/images/3/3d/Nasa_logo.jpg

Hitcho
11-26-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm fine with the logo. It matches the league - kind of new and weirdly American but also kind of cool in a trendy 1990's kind of way. There's no point putting in a crest that looks like the league is from the 1830's, because it's not.

The current logo represents the league very well, which means it is doing a fine job. Plus it's becoming more well known and like any brand it relies entirely on consumer recognition for its value, so why change it now?

Darlofletch
11-26-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm fine with the logo. It matches the league - kind of new and weirdly American but also kind of cool in a trendy 1990's kind of way. There's no point putting in a crest that looks like the league is from the 1830's, because it's not.

The current logo represents the league very well, which means it is doing a fine job. Plus it's becoming more well known and like any brand it relies entirely on consumer recognition for its value, so why change it now?

+1.

also rebranding would just provide an opportunity for a sponsor to shove their way into it, see the clydesdale bank logo from page 1, or the "barclays premier league"

bones
11-26-2010, 03:20 PM

What is this foot and ball thing???

Here we go! :)

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=228&pictureid=2616

Bones...

NBS
11-26-2010, 03:28 PM
But....it's not really a national league anymore. Not with Canadian cities now represented. Sure, it's a minor thing, but if people want to get really pedantic it's a bit of an inaccurate name.

NASL - There, I said it. That's the best one by far.

The problem with NASL is that Mexico isn't there. That's no small oversight. I know people tend to not include Mexico when referring to North American soccer, but it's still silly IMO.

Chevy
11-26-2010, 04:53 PM
What's the deal with those cleats? I could aerate my friggin' lawn in those boots.

prizby
11-26-2010, 05:03 PM
so you change the logo...what are we rebranding the MLS to?