PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Saturday , Jun.28

denime
06-28-2008, 05:19 AM
Good Morning, it's a GAME DAY :)

Revolution's teenage Gambian star goes AWOL
Coach Nicol unhappy that Mansally isn't back after international duty

MORGAN CAMPBELL

FOXBOROUGH, MASS.–As the New England Revolution took the practice field in yesterday's 32C heat, defender Pat Phelan ran though drills looking confident. After riding the bench with Toronto FC, the rookie defender has started twice since his trade to New England.
Meanwhile, star striker Taylor Twellman looked comfortable. A bad ankle has sidelined him since mid-May but he resumed full-speed practice this week.
And New England's teenage sensation Kenny Mansally?
Well, the division-leading team is still looking for him.
Mansally, who plays for Gambia's national team, was one of several Revolution regulars away on international duty during their loss at Real Salt Lake last weekend, though midfielders Khano Smith and Shalrie Joseph are both back for tonight's game against TFC.
Gambia's last game was on June 20 and the first-place Revolution expected Mansally back in camp by the middle of this week, but by yesterday afternoon he still hadn't arrived and his coaches weren't sure the 19-year-old striker would rejoin the team.

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/450981)

Reds get ready for Revolution

By DEAN MCNULTY (dean.mcnulty@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA

Toronto FC coach John Carver won't need an introduction to New England Revolution's coach Steve Nicol before today's MLS game in Foxboro, Mass.
Carver was often up close and personal with Nicol during their time in the English Premier league when the TFC field boss was on the coaching staff at Newcastle United and Nicol was starring on the pitch with Liverpool.
"I have followed his career in North America," Carver said. "You always want to keep track of fellows from back home."
In just his first year at TFC, Carver has a way to go to match Nicol's record of getting his club to the MLS conference final in six consecutive seasons.
"He has a good record there," Carver said. "We know we'll be facing a well-prepared side."
In TFC's visits to Gillette Stadium last season they were trounced, 4-0 and 3-0.
But as defender Jim Brennan said, this is not the same team from 2007.
"They're a very good side,'' Brennen said. "They're a club that's always there at the end and always up at the top of the table. It's a tough place to go and get a result, but we'll get things right and look to get something."
Carver agrees.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/06/28/6011821-sun.html)

Robinson is just a family guy
By DEAN MCNULTY (dean.mcnulty@sunmedia.ca) -- Sun Media

When Toronto FC players arrive in Boston today for their game tomorrow against the New England Revolution, midfielder Carl Robinson almost certainly will have his cellphone to his ear.
He'll be getting an update on the daily activities of his two children -- a girl and a baby boy -- from wife Laura back here. For Robinson, it's much more than a perfunctory "We have arrived safely" call.
The man his teammates call "Robbo" takes being a husband and father just as seriously as he does playing Major League Soccer at BMO Field.
"When I am on the pitch, that is all I care about," the Welsh international said yesterday. "But once we're off, it's family time."
The 31-year-old native of Llandrindod, Wales, said he learned the value of family from his mom and dad.
"I came from nothing," Robinson said of his childhood. "My dad has had the same job for 35 years as a lorry (truck) driver, who would leave for work at five o'clock in the morning and not be back until seven o'clock at night. He and my mom sacrificed everything so I could play football."
It is with the same sort of dedication that Robinson plans to raise his young family.

Read more (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/TorontoFC/2008/06/27/6004401-sun.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html):noidea:

deltox
06-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Meanwhile Nicol said Twellman, who scored twice against TFC last April, has fully recovered from his ankle injury, but still isn't ready to log a lot of minutes and won't start tonight.

thats good news

scooter
06-28-2008, 08:01 AM
mornin tks once again denime

London
06-28-2008, 08:17 AM
wow are they letting anyone be sunshine girls these days??

Wolfe
06-28-2008, 08:23 AM
she should braid that arm hair, it'd be sweet!!!

rocker
06-28-2008, 08:37 AM
that must be a trangender sunshine "girl" for the pride parade celebrations. I mean "Bobbi-Jo???" .. it must be!

Razcle
06-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Yah she is something else. And when she takes off her glasses, she's a whole new beast. Some lassies just can't win

Razcle
06-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Twellman ready to return to Revs

Forward set to see first game action since May 11

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Revolution striker Taylor Twellman jogged off the field at the end of Friday's training session as he has done over the past few weeks.

There is one slight difference for the veteran striker in this session. Twellman will be available to play in Saturday night's game against Toronto FC at Gillette Stadium. Revolution head coach Steve Nicol passed the striker fit for duty, saying that he'll name Twellman on the bench for the first time since injuring his knee against Chivas USA on May 11

Read More (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20080627&content_id=168863&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp)

Mojo
06-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Ironic that todays sunshine girl comes on a day where its pissing rain.

Or maybe its not ironic?

Mrs. Workie
06-28-2008, 10:40 AM
wow are they letting anyone be sunshine girls these days??

Yes.

tfc_4_ever
06-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks. Good read on robbo :)

Red CB Toronto
06-28-2008, 11:24 AM
I love the Gambians, TFC has to get some of their own.

dantdot
06-28-2008, 11:53 AM
From http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/06/28/transfer-funds-blow-for-keegan-72703-21166889/

The Chronicle revealed on May 21 that Toronto FC boss John Carver wanted to sign Ameobi and, despite the player’s agent Steven Denos ruling out a move to the MLS, the word from across the Atlantic is that the Canadian club are keeping tabs on the recently-married player’s situation.
And talk that Toronto couldn’t afford Shola’s wages has been dismissed by the club.
Mega-bucks Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment group are ready to back a move for the player.
And TFC could exercise their designated player card, which allows teams to have one player earning more than the MLS’s salary cap of $400,000.

Corpand
06-28-2008, 12:13 PM
^^^^^^^^
Now THAT is good news. Ameobi is better than Cunny at least :)

BeachRed
06-28-2008, 12:25 PM
"... the player’s agent Steven Denos ruling out a move to the MLS,"

I imagine that's pretty much always the agent's first reaction to MLS - something that will change as MLS grows. Still, it's something TFC has been up against since the beginning. Agents have a lot of power and may be slow to come around, but they will.

Nice to see TFC not giving up.

ensco
06-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Highly suspect this rumour is BS.

Sounds to me like an agent is telling a reporter over there about "big-bucks MLSE" ....which is a far cry from anyone here being willing to pay a GBP 3 million transfer fee.