PDA

View Full Version : Another slap in the face from MLSE....

TFCin110
11-25-2010, 04:50 PM
So the local football shop here in Niagara Falls, On The Ball, tried to get a TFC player to come to the store. They had Mojo down in year 1 and Rohan Ricketts down in year 2. They asked TFC to have another player down to appear at the store only to be told that they (TFC) now only deal with their corporate sponsors or charities. On The Ball couldn't do enough for TFC when they started out to try and promote the club and sells bucket loads of their merchandise. The owners are season seat holders and they regularly buy group tickets and fill a bus to go to the games. There are a lot of season seat holders past Burlington and St.Catharines is only an hour from Toronto. Shame on you MLSE.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2010, 04:53 PM
meh, its a club in flux, i dont blame em at this point.

Don Julio
11-25-2010, 04:59 PM
They could still probably get Ricketts for a fiver.

Pookie
11-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Are there any players left to even go?

J .
11-25-2010, 05:01 PM
MLSE dont care. You were their social marketing tool. They do not need that anymore.

__wowza
11-25-2010, 05:03 PM
i'm pretty sure you could get ricketts if their driveway needed a shovel

ginkster88
11-25-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm curious to see where they go from here. I can't see myself at BMO more than once or twice next year, if at all. I simply can't be bothered to make the trek to pay through the nose to watch poor soccer. MLSE better get their house in order quickly, I feel this city turning its eye further away from Exhibition place every day.

JonO
11-25-2010, 05:08 PM
MLSE dont care. You were their social marketing tool. They do not need that anymore.
Yes they do... There may be valid reasons why they changed their policy.

TFCin110
11-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Outside of bringing Mo in back before the team existed and then Rohan, the only other event in the Niagara Region was Brennan attending the NOTL Santa Claus Parade. I guess the GTA is their main focus. All the Niagara region season ticket holders and fans don't get a chance to meet some players unless they have travel 40 minutes or more.

MartinUtd
11-25-2010, 05:31 PM
They asked TFC to have another player down to appear at the store only to be told that they (TFC) now only deal with their corporate sponsors or charities

If this is true then it's a real shame. Even if they have a legit reason, you don't say things like "only corporate sponsors matter" because it brings down the whole facade of them nurturing the community.

TFCin110
11-25-2010, 05:36 PM
If this is true then it's a real shame. Even if they have a legit reason, you don't say things like "only corporate sponsors matter" because it brings down the whole facade of them nurturing the community.

I didn't speak to TFC myself but this is what the shop owner is telling me....and I trust him. Plus, based on the behaviour of the club lately, it doesn't surprise me.

J .
11-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Yes they do... There may be valid reasons why they changed their policy.

Yes, they do. But they are not treating their partners like that. I am not drinking the koolaid from this past season. A ticket freeze that was deserved two years ago does not buy my loyalty.

There is very little, if anything they have gotten right.

s2cazz
11-25-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm curious to see where they go from here. I can't see myself at BMO more than once or twice next year, if at all. I simply can't be bothered to make the trek to pay through the nose to watch poor soccer. MLSE better get their house in order quickly, I feel this city turning its eye further away from Exhibition place every day.

Same here. I will be at the Academy games though... I hear thats where all the cool kids hang out.

cementhead
11-25-2010, 06:47 PM
I had one player come to my soccer practices in Welland he was ask and he came.

TFC07
11-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Outside of bringing Mo in back before the team existed and then Rohan, the only other event in the Niagara Region was Brennan attending the NOTL Santa Claus Parade. I guess the GTA is their main focus. All the Niagara region season ticket holders and fans don't get a chance to meet some players unless they have travel 40 minutes or more.

When was the last time a TFC player or TFC related event was in Brampton?

billyfly
11-25-2010, 07:35 PM
THe store owner and yourself have a right to be mad etc but this is standard practice across all industries. You move from here to here and marketing priorities and alliances change.

While I think it's important to reach all over the golden horseshoe and beyond, a "re shift" in marketing happens all the time.

razor787
11-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Get the owner to contact PUMA. They sent down Dero, Guevara, Velez, Robbo to a small soccer shop in my town a year or two ago. TFC may not send them, but the players individual sposors will

Technorgasm
11-26-2010, 08:15 AM
So the local football shop here in Niagara Falls, On The Ball, tried to get a TFC player to come to the store. They had Mojo down in year 1 and Rohan Ricketts down in year 2. They asked TFC to have another player down to appear at the store only to be told that they (TFC) now only deal with their corporate sponsors or charities. On The Ball couldn't do enough for TFC when they started out to try and promote the club and sells bucket loads of their merchandise. The owners are season seat holders and they regularly buy group tickets and fill a bus to go to the games. There are a lot of season seat holders past Burlington and St.Catharines is only an hour from Toronto. Shame on you MLSE.

Do you ever go to the DRUMMOND INN to watch games?Richard the owner is a Toffee and one of the best bar keeps in this country.
LOVE that place.
he opens early for EPL and locks the door behind you. . . make of that what you will. . . .:drinking:

If not, DEF check it out, tell 'em Gils sent ya.

Fort York Redcoat
11-26-2010, 08:32 AM
meh, its a club in flux, i dont blame em at this point.

Bam. the last thing they'd want is 2 dozen J.'s showing up to a public event/signing/whatever.

Section 117
11-26-2010, 08:49 AM
tell the shop owner to speak to his sales rep for Adidas, Puma, Umbro or Nike. If he does enough business with them they should be able to get a player or two out. The only thing is can't be promoted as TFC event.

Alixir
11-26-2010, 10:30 AM
thats absolute bullshit....don't worry I will still shop there. Gotta come pick me up the new Newcastle uni.

Mark in Ottawa
11-26-2010, 12:23 PM
The only thing is can't be promoted as TFC event.
And it shouldn't be. Why shill for ML$E when they won't support the event.

Promote it as MLS soccer players and equipment manufacturers event!

Mark in Ottawa
11-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Don't mind me... I'm just pissed that ML$E had me buy a "Ransom Pack" of tickets (Marlie tickets I would never use so I could get the TFC tickets I wanted) and then had the nerve to give my name to the Marlies marketing people.
They called me here at work to try and flog hockey related stuff!! Wankers!

TFCin110
11-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Do you ever go to the DRUMMOND INN to watch games?Richard the owner is a Toffee and one of the best bar keeps in this country.
LOVE that place.
he opens early for EPL and locks the door behind you. . . make of that what you will. . . .:drinking:

If not, DEF check it out, tell 'em Gils sent ya.

I drink at the Drummond a lot...Richard is awesome! How do you know that place?

Shakes McQueen
11-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Don't mind me... I'm just pissed that ML$E had me buy a "Ransom Pack" of tickets (Marlie tickets I would never use so I could get the TFC tickets I wanted) and then had the nerve to give my name to the Marlies marketing people.
They called me here at work to try and flog hockey related stuff!! Wankers!

You're surprised by this? I would think you'd expect it. The pack had Marlies tickets in it, and they are owned by the same people. It seems reasonable that they would assume you might be interested in Marlies tickets, if you bought a Marlies pack.

Calling you at work is ridiculous though, I agree.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
11-27-2010, 07:51 PM
THe store owner and yourself have a right to be mad etc but this is standard practice across all industries. You move from here to here and marketing priorities and alliances change.

While I think it's important to reach all over the golden horseshoe and beyond, a "re shift" in marketing happens all the time.

More or less my thoughts about this. The owners of that store have every right to feel slighted, but this isn't uncommon from any sports team. Marketing priorities change all the time.

- Scott

Roogsy
11-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Get the owner to contact PUMA. They sent down Dero, Guevara, Velez, Robbo to a small soccer shop in my town a year or two ago. TFC may not send them, but the players individual sposors will

tell the shop owner to speak to his sales rep for Adidas, Puma, Umbro or Nike. If he does enough business with them they should be able to get a player or two out. The only thing is can't be promoted as TFC event.

This.

TFC hasn't been making great decisions lately so don't count on them. But there are other ways to get players out. Agents. Player sponsors. Even some people on this board have very close connection to players and might be able arrange something.

TFCin110
11-27-2010, 08:12 PM
This.

TFC hasn't been making great decisions lately so don't count on them. But there are other ways to get players out. Agents. Player sponsors. Even some people on this board have very close connection to players and might be able arrange something.

Thanks for the advice guys and i'll pass that on to the owners. The point is though, that TFC, has again, bit the hand that fed it. It's less the issue of getting a player, and more an issue of the attitude of the front office to, again, alienate the fans.

razor787
11-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Agreed. Places that have sold their kits, and advirtised for them in the past arent to be left out. Those places that have had their backs since day 1 deserve their recognition. Doesnt even make sense, since its free publicity.

Saying 'we only want to have X autograph signings in the off season, so we dont lose the novelty' is one thing. But saying 'major sponsors only' is just a slap in the face.