PDA

View Full Version : Cochrane and Daso

Batman
11-25-2010, 01:15 PM
They're getting a bit more prominence on the TFC website lately.

Could it be, we're being prepped for the news that they stay in their positions?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2010, 01:19 PM
prob more because we want the info rather than trying to get us used to them being around in their positions (or so i hope)

v00d00daddy
11-25-2010, 01:23 PM
They getting a bit more prominence on the TFC website lately.

Could it be, we're being prepped for the news that they stay in their positions?

God I hope you're wrong but I've had this gut feeling all along.

They've already managed to sway people into thinking that it might be an okay thing to do.

I don't care how nice they are or how competent they seem.

They are the last things that this team needs right now. We need experience and people who know how to win. Neither of these guys fits the bill.

But I'm sure they were very nice at the end of season party and chatted up lots of "friends".

By the time they're announced they'll have lots of friends amongst the supporters....in fact, they already do...which is fucking sad in my opinion.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2010, 01:26 PM
i hope to fuck youre right too Voodoo

Fort York Redcoat
11-25-2010, 01:34 PM
People they told us they weren`t not going to get anyone till after the draft. That doesn`t give a lot of time to grab a proper coach/gm.

gracos
11-25-2010, 01:34 PM
If we get them as management, I will make sure to give them 2 years, to show something, if nothing, going straight to our rival being introduced next year, Impact de Montreal

DangerRed
11-25-2010, 01:36 PM
If we get them as management, I will make sure to give them 2 years, to show something, if nothing, going straight to our rival being introduced next year, Impact de Montreal

Don't wait two years. If you're ready to switch club allegiance over the choice of GM, just go now. Please.

gracos
11-25-2010, 01:39 PM
I am just upset with the "being happy to be mediocre team" method of creating a team, players arent content, fans arent content, we are getting no name players joining us, but still would support the team due to them being closest to where I live

J .
11-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Daso is a CSA guy, a guy who helped coached the CMNT, he has a horrible track record.

No thanks. I hope he goes to coach Limpact with gracos.

This is a TFC supporters forum, not a fan boy forum.

Batman
11-25-2010, 01:55 PM
i also would be disappointed if we stick with the status quo.

We've had too many people try to learn their jobs with our money.
Anselmi, no soccer experience. Mo had little gm experience (and what he had was poor), Brennan no assist. GM experience, Daso and Cochrane, no experience in their jobs at THIS level, other than the stub period at end of year.

I have nothing against the individuals, and I hope they stick with the team in other capacities. I also realize people can grow, but I'd like that growth to be under the tutelage of someone who has been there before, either in MLS or at a more advanced league. Let's face it, the tutelage under Mo had to be pretty useless.

Continuing this trend, I would find very disappointing.

Darlofletch
11-25-2010, 02:23 PM

Anselmi, no soccer experience. Mo had little gm experience (and what he had was poor), Brennan no assist. GM experience, Daso and Cochrane, no experience in their jobs at THIS level, other than the stub period at end of year.

I have nothing against the individuals, and I hope they stick with the team in other capacities. I also realize people can grow, but I'd like that growth to be under the tutelage of someone who has been there before, either in MLS or at a more advanced league. Let's face it, the tutelage under Mo had to be pretty useless.

+1 to all of that.

If earl wasn't at tfc, would we be clamouing for him to be the gm? do you think any other mls club would seriously be considering earl as the gm? if anyone answered no to both of those questions, and i hope you have, then why would you be ok with tfc settling for him.

Hitcho
11-25-2010, 02:27 PM

+1 to all of that.

If earl wasn't at tfc, would we be clamouing for him to be the gm? do you think any other mls club would seriously be considering earl as the gm? if anyone answered no to both of those questions, and i hope you have, then why would you be ok with tfc settling for him.

and +1 from me too. You're absolutely right Batman! (always wanted to say that :D)

razor787
11-25-2010, 02:27 PM

Forever we'll love you so
Through all of the highs and lows
This is our crest and this, this is our home

We want you to know
We want you to knoooooow oh oh
Forever we'll love you, we'll love you TO

The words to that obviously mean nothing to you.

Pookie
11-25-2010, 02:28 PM
^ do we really know how many aspiring Managers want to work in the MLS?

Forget aspiring, how many experienced and successful Managers want to work in the MLS?

The thing about knocking "The Coch" is that you don't really know what the competition for this job looks like. "The Coch" might be the best we can get

Hitcho
11-25-2010, 02:31 PM

Forget aspiring, how many experienced and successful Managers want to work in the MLS?

The thing about knocking "The Coch" is that you don't really know what the competition for this job looks like. "The Coch" might be the best we can get

Pookie, that's dangerously defeatist. The approach we should be taking is: other teams have got good GMs or coaches in place, so why the fuck can't TFC do it, because it clearly can be done in this league.

Until MLSE learns that, we're going nowhere, however many people Anselmi tries to "train" out of humanitarian tendencies.

Beach_Red
11-25-2010, 02:37 PM

At the price we're willing to pay, maybe, but there's no salary cap for management.

Except self-imposed. Really, if you're MLSE why would you spend more money on an outside manager when you can give the job to the guy already here? A new manager (or coach) if he's experienced and successful, will demand not only more money but more control and probably the ability to spend more money on more assistants of his choice.

And that's just what they did with their hockey team - they signed an experienced GM with a recent championship, gave him a solid, long-term contract, allowed him to hire more scouts and an assistant GM who's run a team himself and so far the results just aren't there. They aren't selling any more tickets and they aren't playing in any playoff games. They could have saved a lot of money, stuck with JFJ and been in the same position.

So now TFC have pretty much sold out all the season tickets again (the team will certainly make a profit next year), so what's the motivation to spend more money? A little more profit? Is it worth te risk?

They will probably extend the contract with Soccer Solutions.

Wull
11-25-2010, 02:38 PM
I would hope they would realize by now that we aren't about to put up with daso and earl getting the jobs permanently. If they do then a big part of our reason for protesting will have been completely ignored.

Oldtimer
11-25-2010, 02:38 PM
I think there is way too much paranoia around here.

Remember "Rollin' with Rickets?"
How about "Esky's World?"
All the focus on Carver?

featuring on the TFC website is a sure indication that you won't be around much longer!

:D

Batman
11-25-2010, 02:55 PM
I think there is way too much paranoia around here.

Remember "Rollin' with Rickets?"
How about "Esky's World?"
All the focus on Carver?

featuring on the TFC website is a sure indication that you won't be around much longer!

:D

You maybe be right Oldtimer. All the crap we've put up with over the years (and as Raptors fan, I've had 15 other years of that comedy too) with MLSE leads to it I guess. I'm pretty suspicious.

It will be interesting to see if they do whats right for the team and the fans, or do whats right for their wallet. We'll see.

wzhxvy
11-25-2010, 02:59 PM
So from Donadoni and Klinsman, now its Daso and Earl. No freaking way, not an acceptable pair of unproven, inexperienced, underqualified leadership. They want to keep those 2 fine...but somewhere in a non leadership role where they can learn and develop.

Section 117
11-25-2010, 03:06 PM
So from Donadoni and Klinsman, now its Daso and Earl. No freaking way, not an acceptable pair of unproven, inexperienced, underqualified leadership. They want to keep those 2 fine...but somewhere in a non leadership role where they can learn and develop.

So what RSL did with an uporven GM and Coach is unacceptable to us?? We shouldn't want to be like them they are only one of the best teams in the MLS

No offense the hiring of Dondadoni would have been a huge mistake. What has really done? Outside of having a couple of good months with Livorno? Hiring an a "name" as a coach just cause of his name is bullshit and is no what we should do.

rocker
11-25-2010, 03:18 PM
the point about RSL hiring two people with no experience, who took them to MLS Cup, is definitely a good counterpoint. RSL gave Kreis and Lagerway time to screw up and figure their way through things. RSL didn't make the playoffs in Kreis' first year as coach. They barely made the playoffs in the second season... made playoffs in the third but without any improvement (flatlined). They were great in their fourth season.

So 1 year of suck, 2 year of barely making playoffs before becoming great. Are TFC fans willing to let no-names have that kind of slack?

The reason I like going for an experienced person with the right mentality, is that maybe we don't need to suck for much longer until we find out if it works. See Sigi and Bruce and Backe. These guys have made their mistakes at other teams, and worked out a philosophy for success.

wzhxvy
11-25-2010, 03:32 PM
So what RSL did with an uporven GM and Coach is unacceptable to us?? We shouldn't want to be like them they are only one of the best teams in the MLS

No offense the hiring of Dondadoni would have been a huge mistake. What has really done? Outside of having a couple of good months with Livorno? Hiring an a "name" as a coach just cause of his name is bullshit and is no what we should do.

I dont frankly care about the RSL example. We are not RSL, and we dont have the patience for what they did, given the history of the incompetence in this franchise. This franchise will implode if we dont see improvement and playoffs next year. Earl and Daso are not the answer. Not even close to the answer.

ArmenJBX
11-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Donadoni has a job now, by the way.

He's not in contention anymore.

DangerRed
11-25-2010, 03:36 PM
the point about RSL hiring two people with no experience, who took them to MLS Cup, is definitely a good counterpoint. RSL gave Kreis and Lagerway time to screw up and figure their way through things. RSL didn't make the playoffs in Kreis' first year as coach. They barely made the playoffs in the second season... made playoffs in the third but without any improvement (flatlined). They were great in their fourth season.

So 1 year of suck, 2 year of barely making playoffs before becoming great. Are TFC fans willing to let no-names have that kind of slack?

The reason I like going for an experienced person with the right mentality, is that maybe we don't need to suck for much longer until we find out if it works. See Sigi and Bruce and Backe. These guys have made their mistakes at other teams, and worked out a philosophy for success.

Good points all (I cannot for the life of me believe I'm agreeing with you). And I think if in year two and three TFC made the playoffs at all, it would be viewed as a coming-of-age achievement rather than slack. That's how low the bar is right now.

Oldtimer
11-25-2010, 03:39 PM
I dont frankly care about the RSL example. We are not RSL, and we dont have the patience for what they did, given the history of the incompetence in this franchise. This franchise will implode if we dont see improvement and playoffs next year. Earl and Daso are not the answer. Not even close to the answer.

RSL was a monumental disaster in their first few years, and was by far the worst expansion side until TFC came along. RSL is the perfect example for us, because they are exactly parallel to TFC. The only difference is that their coach and GM were fired at the end of year 3 instead of year 4. We can blame Tom Anselmi for letting Mo fool him for one more year.

They didn't need a "big name" GM and neither do we. We just need someone with the right attributes. Some fading Euro guy may not be the right answer.

billyfly
11-25-2010, 03:39 PM
I think both are staying.

Oldtimer
11-25-2010, 03:42 PM
I think both are staying.

I would be concerned about Daso being in charge.

Section 117
11-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Further to Rocker's point two out of three coaches he stated have had MLS experience Backe had nothing. Maybe I am the only one here but who is out there with MLS experience and is a winner????

Just to completely dismiss Daso and or Earl just because the lack of experience is short sided and incorrect. What if they are the answer? We don't know because we don't have a clue who else is out there. I have spoken to quite a few of players and nothing but good things have been said about Daso. Also, I would like to state when discussing previous coaches while they were here they never said anything positive about them.

menefreghista
11-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Its funny because Dasovic has more experience at coaching than Cochrane has at player management, yet everyone is ready to install Cochrane because he comes across as a nice guy that might know his stuff.

Cochrane is more qualified to replace Michel Lissel than he is to replace Mo Johnston.

It will be disheartening if either of these guys are still in their roles when the season starts.

Stouffville_RPB
11-25-2010, 03:46 PM
With all the cap space and 2 DP spots whoever it is that comes in will be able to make TFC "their" team in their first season.

In a league where 1/2 of the teams make the playoffs and have a chance to be champions there really is no reason why whoever is brought in should fail.

Fort York Redcoat
11-25-2010, 03:47 PM
What do you think would have to happen to make Tom Anselmi change his mind about keeping these two past the draft I wonder

Pookie
11-25-2010, 03:53 PM
^ further to that. If Klinsmann is here to put in place a vision and operational plan for the team... and most people like that idea.... why is it important to have an experienced GM with his own line of thinking?

If anything, the hiring of Klinsmann to bring a strategy that the new GM can put in place screams out the need for an inexperienced GM to push the buttons that have been put in place by Klinsmann.

Which experienced soccer guy are you going to get who wants to adopt someone else's plan?

Batman
11-25-2010, 04:12 PM
What do you think would have to happen to make Tom Anselmi change his mind about keeping these two past the draft I wonder

Just to clarify, nothing's been stated that they have the jobs. I was merely speculating that the recent PR either about, or by them MAY be a way to get the supporters to warm up to the idea.

I may be completely off base. Frankly, I hope I am.

Section 117
11-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Just to clarify, nothing's been stated that they have the jobs. I was merely speculating that the recent PR seems interesting and MAY be a way to get the supporters to warm up to the idea.

I may be completely off base. Frankly, I hope I am.

Based on what? what if they are the right people for the job?

Batman
11-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Based on what? what if they are the right people for the job?
based upon all the points I made earlier. look up...way up. ^^^^

ManUtd4ever
11-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Apparently, Klinsmann is reviewing over 50 applicants for the GM/Coach positions. Surely some candidates should emerge with a greater pedigree than either Cochrane or Daso. If Anselmi is going to run this organization like a popularity contest by insisting that the incumbents remain within their respective roles then TFC is doomed to failure regardless of Klinsmann's involvement...

gracos
11-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Apparently, Klinsmann is reviewing over 50 applicants for the GM/Coach positions. Surely some candidates should emerge with a greater pedigree than either Cochrane or Daso. If Anselmi is going to run this organization like a popularity contest by insisting that the incumbents remain within their respective roles then TFC is doomed to failure regardless of Klinsmann's involvement...
I totally agree with this statement, and you better believe I just wanted to say that I would change teams, to get your guys reactions.

Oldtimer
11-25-2010, 04:32 PM
I totally agree with this statement, and you better believe I just wanted to say that I would change teams, to get your guys reactions.

So... you're saying you're a :troll: ?

Batman
11-25-2010, 04:34 PM

Thanks for clarifying re: the applicants. Fingers crossed!

Pookie
11-25-2010, 04:35 PM

But again, why is a pedigree important if this is JK's plan?

Without JK's plan, the traditional stuff (winning, connections, vision, etc) are indeed important.

But since we have JK's plan, in that scenario it is probably necessary that they find competent folks (scouts, salary cap experts, etc) that buy into the JK plan who don't necessarily have radical tendencies or trouble living in someone else's shadow. Otherwise, the plan goes to shit.

The Coch might not be the man for the job but pedigree and a history of winning isn't as important as the ability to implement JK's plan based on what MLSE have created.

ManUtd4ever
11-25-2010, 05:00 PM
But again, why is a pedigree important if this is JK's plan?

Without JK's plan, the traditional stuff (winning, connections, vision, etc) are indeed important.

But since we have JK's plan, in that scenario it is probably necessary that they find competent folks (scouts, salary cap experts, etc) that buy into the JK plan who don't necessarily have radical tendencies or trouble living in someone else's shadow. Otherwise, the plan goes to shit.

The Coch might not be the man for the job but pedigree and a history of winning isn't as important as the ability to implement JK's plan based on what MLSE have created.

Cochrane and Daso can be retained in supporting roles. If Klinsmann does not hire his own GM/Coach to implement his plan then this whole thing is a farce in my opinion...

Pookie
11-25-2010, 05:01 PM
why would it be a farce?

Alixir
11-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Daso better not be the coach come kickoff. That will just show us that the FO could not give a shit about its team, or that they are just football dumb.

ManUtd4ever
11-25-2010, 05:44 PM
why would it be a farce?

Would you not find it somewhat suspect if Klinsmann, with all of his connections in the football universe, decided in all his wisdom and research that Earl Cochrane was the best man for the job? With all due respect to Earl, I'm inclined to assume that among all of the potential suitors, someone is more qualified to be entrusted with the most important job at the most critical juncture in the history of this franchise...

Batman
11-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Would you not find it somewhat suspect if Klinsmann, with all of his conections in the football universe, decided in all his wisdom and research that Earl Cochrane was the best man for the job? With all due respect to Earl I'm inclined to assume that among all of the potential suitors, someone is more qualified to be entrusted with the most important job at the most critical juncture in the history of this franchise...

very nicely said.
:hump:

reggie
11-25-2010, 06:04 PM
get off the crack people...you guys want a earl to be our gm,,,wtf...the guy is a pr guy who helped with visas and paperwork,and mo hired him along with jimmy ,daso and 10 other coaches..enough said.

J .
11-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Dasoshit has failed at every level he coached with Mitchell during the CMNT "qualification" and I use quotations because that was pathetic.

Cochrane likely will not be GM, he made a minor trade and cut a bunch of stiffs. That is all.

Batman
11-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Dasoshit has failed at every level he coached with Mitchell during the CMNT "qualification" and I use quotations because that was pathetic.

Cochrane likely will not be GM, he made a minor trade and cut a bunch of stiffs. That is all.

No need to get rude about Daso.
I don't want him as head coach, but I appreciate the effort he's put in.

TFCRegina
11-25-2010, 07:22 PM
I just don't get it. People hate on Earl for being the Interim GM. They hate because he's interim, they hate because he has no experience, they hate because they simply can.

The no experience factor is being dealt with. Maybe Earl isn't the guy we need right now, in fact, I'd probably agree that he isn't what we need right now.

BUT, Earl is getting experience as a GM. And maybe he's the guy of the future. As I have mentioned before, I expect a permanent GM by January 1st, although the search might take a little longer. I'm ok with that. They're actually taking a look around and trying to find the right guy for the job.

But the club doesn't stop operating in the meantime.

So next time, when we're searching for a GM, maybe we have this guy who has been involved with the club, the CSA and MLS for awhile. And maybe he did a serviceable job in the past as an interim guy, maybe he did a good job with academy and maybe, just maybe, we can promote from within (what I hope will be) a winning organization.

Our club is new. We need to create football people here at home.

You might say that we want someone from Europe or Latin America running the club. Great, but what happened when the sport was new in those countries? People had to take charge back then and learn. And sometimes there were talented people who had no experience running clubs, there simply had to have been.

While I don't think we need Earl to be running the club next year, him getting this crucial experience will help the club and Canadian sport in the long run.

Just the same as Daso being Interim Coach will help.

jloome
11-25-2010, 07:28 PM
I just don't get it. People hate on Earl for being the Interim GM. They hate because he's interim, they hate because he has no experience, they hate because they simply can.

The no experience factor is being dealt with. Maybe Earl isn't the guy we need right now, in fact, I'd probably agree that he isn't what we need right now.

BUT, Earl is getting experience as a GM. And maybe he's the guy of the future. As I have mentioned before, I expect a permanent GM by January 1st, although the search might take a little longer. I'm ok with that. They're actually taking a look around and trying to find the right guy for the job.

So next time, when we're searching for a GM, maybe we have this guy who has been involved with the club, the CSA and MLS for awhile. And maybe he did a serviceable job in the past as an interim guy, maybe he did a good job with academy and maybe, just maybe, we can promote from within (what I hope will be) a winning organization.

You might say that we want someone from Europe or Latin America running the club. Great, but what happened when the sport was new in those countries? People had to take charge back then and learn. And sometimes there were talented people who had no experience running clubs, there simply had to have been.

While I don't think we need Earl to be running the club next year, him getting this crucial experience will help the club and Canadian sport in the long run.

This is absurd. Who here has "hated" on Earl?

People don't want an inexperienced man in the job. That's eminently sensible.

menefreghista
11-25-2010, 10:24 PM

You do realize that Cochrane has little to no experience as a GM.

In fact, I wonder if he did any work in that field while Mo Johnston was there.

TFCRegina
11-26-2010, 01:12 AM
You do realize that Cochrane has little to no experience as a GM.

In fact, I wonder if he did any work in that field while Mo Johnston was there.

Did you really just ask that question?

Or are you being a facetious *****?

AND I QUOTE:

they hate because he has no experience
Earl is getting experience as a GM.This indicates that Earl had no prior experience, but now has experience.

Next time read what the hell I've written before you ask questions.

Remember, there are no dumb questions, just a lot of inquisitive idiots.

menefreghista
11-26-2010, 06:48 AM
I am shocked that people are willing to let another GM learn on the job here. After the last 4 years we've been through. I can't believe it.

Cashcleaner
11-26-2010, 07:41 AM

Some of that I agree with. Some of it I don't.

Seriously, at the moment someone has to be in charge and that someone just happens to be Cochrane. I wouldn't be happy if he is announced as the next full-time GM, but there's nothing I've seen that really suggests it. All we know, is that he's managing at the moment because that's his job. In the long-term I'd rather see new faces filling the GM and coach positions, but the fact that he's fulfilling a role right now doesn't mean he'll be doing it next month.

TFCRegina
11-26-2010, 08:41 AM
I am shocked that people are willing to let another GM learn on the job here. After the last 4 years we've been through. I can't believe it.

I guess you were also unable to read this quote:

I'd probably agree that he isn't what we need right now.

BUT, Earl is getting experience as a GM. And maybe he's the guy of the future. As I have mentioned before, I expect a permanent GM by January 1st

He's learning now, as an interim. Next time, he'll be a little more seasoned.

JonO
11-26-2010, 09:59 AM
With all due respect to Earl, I'm inclined to assume that among all of the potential suitors, someone is more qualified to be entrusted with the most important job at the most critical juncture in the history of this franchise...
This is where my confusion comes in. I am not sure the GM is the most important job - I would argue the coach is . At the end of the day, it depends on how the roles are defined, but it is certainly conceivable that the GM's position is is merely as an administrator-type to implement the coach's plan. Thus the coach could be more of the traditional "manager" role and the GM takes some of the administrative burden from him...

Batman
12-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Even though I started this little thread 3 weeks ago, that lack of news still has me wondering if we might be stuck with Cochrane as gm.

LesH
12-12-2010, 02:21 PM

I really hope this is not the case.

Though I could live with having The Coch staying in his positions (of course I'll consider it a very weak choice), but it may still work out in the long run somehow.
But having Daso as the head coach, with all the respect to him it's a horrible choice. He's a star player's man at TFC, which means he's owned by someone like Dero for ex, or even JDG, plus with all his background related to these players and the National Team, plus he's inexperience in such a position..... :facepalm:

I still can't see both guys staying in position, because then how they'll explain Klinsmann's role in all the advisory mumbo-jumbo we are fed with? Because nobody could tell me Klinsi advised the upper management to leave both guys in there positions, that would be a simple lie, can't happen... Right?

Mikey
12-12-2010, 06:05 PM
LOL....ML$E hands Klinsmann a bag of cash and he says "keep the two new guys, thanks for the cash" .....?

Or did they spend the money just so that they could have him and TFC mentioned together in the same newspaper articles when they were facing a ticket selling crunch?

Looks like I'm still on plan for seeing out one more year and TFC's first 100 players......:scarf:

TFC07
12-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Klinsmann said he's hoping to hire a new coach before x-mas. I don't think Daso is going to bew coaching TFC next season.

Whoop
12-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Well, we're two weeks away from Christmas.

Cutting things short, no?

Batman
12-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Well, we're two weeks away from Christmas.

Cutting things short, no?

Yep, and we're nearly 7 weeks from when Klinsmann was introduced at TFC. (and how much longer from when they stated talking to him.)

Considering 7 weeks ago they said they had about 50 applicants. You'd think you could at least get that to a short list in about 3-4 weeks, and another 1-2 max to finalize....so...any day now?

Carts
12-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Keeping the 'status quo' would be a big negative hit to Klinnsman's Soccer Solutions team...

Why hire a guy as a consultant, if all he can do is say "yes, your interim GM and temporary coach are good enough" in a German accent...

Carts...

UltraSuperMegaMo
12-13-2010, 01:59 PM
^ I was thinking the same thing. In the earlier presser and the recent interview, it's hard to tell what Klinsmann and Co. actually are doing for TFC. I think the coaching hire will be the measure of them, but if it's someone like Colin Clarke from the PR Islander (admittedly not a terrible candidate), I won't be wowed with their contribution. Pretty sure TFC could have landed someone like that without Klinsmann's help.

Yohan
12-13-2010, 02:08 PM
the announcement is going to be like a surprise buttsecks... out of nowhere!

Milky
12-13-2010, 02:09 PM
It's pretty clear that Klinsi's job is to help TFC find an identity. He won't be bothered if Earl and Jim are kept in their current roles. He'll feel his job is done when TFC finally feel confident in their own playing style/future.

Whoop
12-15-2010, 02:24 PM
December 15th.

A week and a half until Christmas.

Something isn't announced by next Wednesday, the earliest you're looking at is early January which means you have 8 weeks to prepare for training camp, if not less.

Section 117
12-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Status Quo .... That is what will be annouced IMO

Whoop
12-15-2010, 02:37 PM
At this point even if it is the status quo, just announce it FFS.

phonzo
12-15-2010, 02:52 PM
little birdie whispered that these folks may or may not have an interview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aron_Winter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Mariner

Jeffro
12-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Nothing here leads me to believe we're in for the status quo:

Earl Cochrane:

The second phase of the Re-Entry Process has come and gone and just as the Reds remained stagnant in the first stage, Toronto has chosen to pass on the list of available players.

“We have carefully weighed the cost and benefit of bringing in a player through this process and decided to pass at this time,” said interim director Earl Cochrane.

“We have to consider salary demands and weigh it against a player’s age and the specific playing style we are looking to implement for next season.”

The two biggest names available in the draft, New York marksman Juan Pablo Angel and Trillium Cup rival Guillermo Barros Schelotto of Columbus are respectively 35 and 37-years old. They also command a hefty wage bill.

“We are also in a transition process,” Cochrane continued, “where we can’t saddle the incoming coach or manager with key pieces that may not fit his vision. We have to be cautious with those types of signings.”

That being said, the front office hasn’t been quiet this fall. Cochrane revealed that there are 10-12 players Toronto has looked at closely and while they haven’t yet put ink to paper, the club has done all the background work necessary to pick up these pieces should they fit the bill.

“There are four or five key roster pieces we are looking to fill and a plan is in process. We have done everything short of signing these players as we want to be in a position to fill these spots once the manager is hired.”

Cochrane also intimated that these players could be acquired through a combination of free agent signings and loan deals – the latter option rarely pursued by Toronto in the last four years while some MLS teams have prospered going down this path.

Section 117
12-15-2010, 03:16 PM
It's funny because certain people involved with TFC want major changes and others do not and they think that if you give the coaching staff the ability to sign the players and Earl just working out the details of the contract is how it should be.

I for one think Nick and Danny would do well as coach and build a proper squad, but unfortunately due to the climate of unrest by fans they will not get that oppurtunity at this point, to no fault of their own. We had a drunk Scot running this team with no plan an no idea of how to build club and now we are where we are.

Also, Jeffro to your point that TFC has players ready to be signed, the problem is teh longer they wait to sign the palyers the more likely they will not be around when get the coach

ManUtd4ever
12-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Based on recent information released through the media, it seems more probable that only one person will be hired, most likely within the next 2 weeks. It remains to be seen whether that individual will have a dual portfolio as coach/GM or be hired strictly as a coach...

Jeffro
12-15-2010, 03:54 PM
It's funny because certain people involved with TFC want major changes and others do not and they think that if you give the coaching staff the ability to sign the players and Earl just working out the details of the contract is how it should be.

I for one think Nick and Danny would do well as coach and build a proper squad, but unfortunately due to the climate of unrest by fans they will not get that oppurtunity at this point, to no fault of their own. We had a drunk Scot running this team with no plan an no idea of how to build club and now we are where we are.

Also, Jeffro to your point that TFC has players ready to be signed, the problem is teh longer they wait to sign the palyers the more likely they will not be around when get the coach

ummm, that wasn't my point, it was Earls, I only pointed out that according to earl, they're preparing for a new coach/manager.

jloome
12-15-2010, 03:54 PM
At the price we're willing to pay, maybe, but there's no salary cap for management.

Except self-imposed. Really, if you're MLSE why would you spend more money on an outside manager when you can give the job to the guy already here? A new manager (or coach) if he's experienced and successful, will demand not only more money but more control and probably the ability to spend more money on more assistants of his choice.

And that's just what they did with their hockey team - they signed an experienced GM with a recent championship, gave him a solid, long-term contract, allowed him to hire more scouts and an assistant GM who's run a team himself and so far the results just aren't there. They aren't selling any more tickets and they aren't playing in any playoff games. They could have saved a lot of money, stuck with JFJ and been in the same position.

So now TFC have pretty much sold out all the season tickets again (the team will certainly make a profit next year), so what's the motivation to spend more money? A little more profit? Is it worth te risk?

They will probably extend the contract with Soccer Solutions.

LOL, dude you know I think your the bee's knees, but you are SO convinced already this is going to happen, and we have nothing to suggest it's the case other than group mutual contempt for MLSE.

I just don't see it. No one's that dumb.

wzhxvy
12-15-2010, 03:59 PM
I cant believe anyone would lobby or propose status quo. Coch and Daso are not victims of the fans' contempt, they are just not qualified, so lets not make them into these great people that would have done such a great job if they had a chance.

Sounds like they will hire one person who will coach and manage (ie have player decision making powers), keep Coch as the administrative guy and find a home for Nick. Its not an ideal solution but if this one person, "the Manager" is the right person then I wouldnt care if its one person vs. 2.

sully
12-15-2010, 04:01 PM
December 15th.

A week and a half until Christmas.

Something isn't announced by next Wednesday, the earliest you're looking at is early January which means you have 8 weeks to prepare for training camp, if not less.

in addition to bringing in a substantial number of players.. if not managed well, and soon, things go easily go very badly. I think we really need to have the new manager in place before new year...

scooter
12-15-2010, 04:08 PM

dont have a problem with that this is a good thing
we also have danny,toshak and jimmy b

we need players plain and simple its not rocket science and i am sure they are looking

what is pissing me off is mlse making a decision last year it was slowed down by mls contract talks this year we need to get things going now so training camp is training camp with most or better yet all the players there

scooter
12-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Keeping the 'status quo' would be a big negative hit to Klinnsman's Soccer Solutions team...

Why hire a guy as a consultant, if all he can do is say "yes, your interim GM and temporary coach are good enough" in a German accent...

Carts...

you hit the nail on the head its all in the accent:facepalm:

Beach_Red
12-15-2010, 05:08 PM
LOL, dude you know I think your the bee's knees, but you are SO convinced already this is going to happen, and we have nothing to suggest it's the case other than group mutual contempt for MLSE.

I just don't see it. No one's that dumb.

So where are the rumours? A few posts up someone is saying Paul Mariner is being interviewed. He'd probably be a very good choice, but it's hatd to have faith in an organization that needs to hire a consultant to find him.

And really, I thought the team was in a lot worse shape than could be fixed by one new member of the management team. I thought after last year, again, that we would finally have a productive off-season and go into a new year prepared.

In fact I am SO hoping to be wrong about this. I hope there is time to bring in at least one guy with the power (and budget) to turn this team around.

jloome
12-16-2010, 02:00 AM
So where are the rumours? A few posts up someone is saying Paul Mariner is being interviewed. He'd probably be a very good choice, but it's hatd to have faith in an organization that needs to hire a consultant to find him.

And really, I thought the team was in a lot worse shape than could be fixed by one new member of the management team. I thought after last year, again, that we would finally have a productive off-season and go into a new year prepared.

In fact I am SO hoping to be wrong about this. I hope there is time to bring in at least one guy with the power (and budget) to turn this team around.

Damn my foolish optimism, LOL

I think ....I have no idea what's going on or is going to happen. My instinct says they got a scare last year and are smart enough to go outside, have a few key targets already, and are taking a few weeks to nail it down.

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen by new year, but by mid-January? Yeah, I can see that. And yes, that narrows the signing window somewhat. But it still puts them several weeks ahead of Mo, sad though that be.

Oldtimer
12-16-2010, 08:11 AM

Wow, talk about excessive pessimism.

The whole idea was for Klinsmann to set up a club style and methods. How is freaking Tom Anselmi supposed to know if Paul does attacking or defensive football? He knows zero about the sport.

What they are trying to do is develop some consistency, so that you don't have a Carver who builds an attacking team, then hire a Preki who tears it all apart to build a defensive team. It makes tonnes of sense.

Now Paul Mariner would be an excellent choice. He would be a combination coach/GM. He did very well for the Revs with the cheapo Kraft family undefunding the club, imagine what he could do with TFC with a decent budget! Earl could assist him with the paperwork, but wouldn't be making any decisions.

TOBOR !
12-16-2010, 08:12 AM
little birdie whispered that these folks may or may not have an interview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aron_Winter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Mariner

Aron Winter - a defensive midfielder without coaching ecxperience
Paul Mariner - having a bit of a rough go of it at Plymouth Argyle

torontocelt
12-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Wow, talk about excessive pessimism.

The whole idea was for Klinsmann to set up a club style and methods. How is freaking Tom Anselmi supposed to know if Paul does attacking or defensive football? He knows zero about the sport.

What they are trying to do is develop some consistency, so that you don't have a Carver who builds an attacking team, then hire a Preki who tears it all apart to build a defensive team. It makes tonnes of sense.

Now Paul Mariner would be an excellent choice. He would be a combination coach/GM. He did very well for the Revs with the cheapo Kraft family undefunding the club, imagine what he could do with TFC with a decent budget! Earl could assist him with the paperwork, but wouldn't be making any decisions.

Is his wiki stats correct for Plymouth as manager -

Games, 29, won - 7, drew - 6, lost 16 - 24.14% win ratio

This record for a team in the english championship, I would have to pass on Mariner. It also says:

'summing up a miserable season for the Pilgrims. Argyle ended the season as the second lowest scoring team in the division, with only Swansea City scoring fewer, as well as winning the least amount of games at home.'

This is hardly a growing tribute for a man who has only even been the manager of one team and assistant at all the others, that is if wiki is correct?

Beach_Red
12-16-2010, 08:46 AM
Damn my foolish optimism, LOL

I think ....I have no idea what's going on or is going to happen. My instinct says they got a scare last year and are smart enough to go outside, have a few key targets already, and are taking a few weeks to nail it down.

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen by new year, but by mid-January? Yeah, I can see that. And yes, that narrows the signing window somewhat. But it still puts them several weeks ahead of Mo, sad though that be.

I hope you're right. The lack of any noise is off putting, but you may be right, they got a real scare and are planning some big changes. But this is the same organization that hired the inexperienced Mo in the first place and then gave him two contract extensions and now has a short-term contract with a consultant. So, I think some heavy skepticism is justified.

This team was very poorly run and is starting from a deep hole they need to dig out of and it doesn't seem like that's how they're acting. We used to complain about the silence from the team and now we're willing to believe in them? I want to, I really do, but at this point pessimism doesn't seem excessive.

Certainly if they make some great moves I'll jump right back on the bandwagon ;)

phonzo
12-16-2010, 09:14 AM
while Mariner hasn't had a great season with ole plymouth he does have experience within MLS which would make him an interesting candidate. Again not sure how I feel about either of the two gents but we shall see in time?

Section 117
12-16-2010, 09:31 AM
How are those two candiates better then what we have??? Mariner has experience in the MLS but is not a winner. His record and the lack of goal scoring on his squad speaks volumes. Preki part 2 only English

That other dude hasn't even coached yet, but I guess because he is from Europe the fans will be happy. This is a change for the sake of change.

I can not believe we are looking at this crap for a manager WTF... We are not going to get someone with a proven track record outside of the MLS as this would be considered a step down for the coach. If we have to choose between those two and what we have I vote to keep what we have. At least it will give us a little bit of stability and we can get the right players in ASAP

Darlofletch
12-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Is his wiki stats correct for Plymouth as manager -

Games, 29, won - 7, drew - 6, lost 16 - 24.14% win ratio

This record for a team in the english championship, I would have to pass on Mariner. It also says:

'summing up a miserable season for the Pilgrims. Argyle ended the season as the second lowest scoring team in the division, with only Swansea City scoring fewer, as well as winning the least amount of games at home.'

This is hardly a growing tribute for a man who has only even been the manager of one team and assistant at all the others, that is if wiki is correct?

mariner's definitely underwhelming, but he was on a hiding to nothing at plymouth. this is a really good blog post from thetwounfortunates (http://thetwounfortunates.blogspot.com/2010/12/10-matches-in-rise-and-fall-of-plymouth.html) that goes into a lot of detail about their downfall, chapter 10 deals with mariner's time there, the short version is that thanks to crazy ownership, and really bad player deals done before he took over, they were absolutely doomed.

Argyle's rise through the leagues had been characterised by a collective effort from a small squad on affordable wages, but by the time of their downfall the playing roster was top heavy with big earners on long contracts, who the club would never be able to flog. Debts had crept right up on Argyle, and players went unpaid several times during the season. As if that wasn't enough, a winding-up order had been placed on the club in January and, to round things off nicely, a transfer embargo was slapped on Argyle at the season's end.

so it'd be a bit unfair to base any opinion of him on his plymouth record.

Darlofletch
12-16-2010, 10:13 AM
having said all that though, I'd be a bit on the disappointed side if we've gone through all this, and taken over 3 months and brought in klinsmann to end up with paul mariner.

sashavukelich
12-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Forever we'll love you so
Through all of the highs and lows
This is our crest and this, this is our home

We want you to know
We want you to knoooooow oh oh
Forever we'll love you, we'll love you TO

The words to that obviously mean nothing to you.

lol, oh please. I've been a STH since year 1. Gracos has every right to feel jerked around by TFC, because we have been. I agree with Gracos in that way too many people have 'learned' the trade with us, and that's just so incredibly innapropriate given where ticket prices are.

MLSE barely cares about the fans, lets wake up. i didn't renew for this upcoming season, and i'd be happy cheering for Canadian soccer aka Montreal/Vancouver, but i do find it strange you'd RUN to A rival!? why not just follow another team you admire?

ensco
12-16-2010, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't write Mariner off just because Argyle were terrible. This ownership situation there is unstable (maybe worse than that).

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/news/Kagami-committed-Pilgrims-future/article-2917048-detail/article.html