PDA

View Full Version : O'Brian White

gracos
11-24-2010, 07:30 PM
We lost OBW to Vancouver in the Entry Draft, they now traded him Seattle Sounders

gracos
11-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Following the Expansion Draft, Whitecaps FC traded their first pick in Sanna Nyassi to 2010 MLS Cup champions Colorado Rapids for an international player spot. Vancouver then dealt fifth-round selection Alan Gordon back to Chivas USA for another international player spot, as well as seventh-round selection Alejandro Moreno to Chivas USA for allocation money. Vancouver also traded their sixth-round selection in O'Brian White to Pacific Northwest rivals Seattle Sounders FC for allocation money.

gracos
11-24-2010, 07:35 PM
The Portland Timbers today acquired defender/midfielder Rodney Wallace from D.C. United and the lower of United’s two fourth-round draft picks in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft in exchange for midfielder Dax McCarty and allocation money

Ossington Mental Youth
11-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Wallace was pretty decent on the wing and showed promise

gracos
11-24-2010, 07:39 PM
The Portland Timbers today acquired allocation money from the Colorado Rapids in exchange for defender Anthony Wallace, who was selected in today’s 2010 Major League Soccer Expansion Draft. Also, the Timbers received the higher of Real Salt Lake’s two second-round picks (No. 22 overall) in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft in exchange for midfielder Arturo Alvarez, the club’s No. 10 pick in the Expansion Draft.

J .
11-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Alvarez could look good on Torontos wing...

Sullivan
11-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Wallace was pretty decent on the wing and showed promise

He wasn't the same player after recovering from a fractured fibula.

69Chevy396
11-24-2010, 08:31 PM
wallace was the best player on colorado at the mls cup game

MG42
11-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Vancouver showing shades of MoJo's expansion draft technique lol

prizby
11-24-2010, 08:41 PM
i remember the u-20 fifa world cup when it was here in Toronto...Anthony Wallace was one of the players I was most impressed with

Heathen
11-24-2010, 08:42 PM
wallace was the best player on colorado at the mls cup game

You're having a laugh surely! he was absolutely awful, the consensus around us what that he was the worst player on the field

Fushida
11-24-2010, 08:49 PM
finally gone?

:flare::flare::flare:

Jeffro
11-24-2010, 08:59 PM
I harbour no ill will towards OB White, all the best to him, unless he's playing against TFC!

69Chevy396
11-24-2010, 08:59 PM
[quote=Heathen;1172100]You're having a laugh surely! he was absolutely awful, the consensus around us what that he was the worst player on the field[/quote
i thought he played a big role in stopping the dallas midfielders, and made a few nice runs/passes...and he was an intimidating bastard

billyfly
11-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Let's see what we replace him with.

Chevy
11-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Following the Expansion Draft, Whitecaps FC traded their first pick in Sanna Nyassi to 2010 MLS Cup champions Colorado Rapids for an international player spot. Vancouver then dealt fifth-round selection Alan Gordon back to Chivas USA for another international player spot, as well as seventh-round selection Alejandro Moreno to Chivas USA for allocation money. Vancouver also traded their sixth-round selection in O'Brian White to Pacific Northwest rivals Seattle Sounders FC for allocation money.

I think what Vancouver is saying with this is:

"The available MLS players are shit. We're going to go out and find our own."

Keystone FC
11-24-2010, 09:46 PM
We lost OBW to Vancouver in the Entry Draft, they now traded him Seattle Sounders
Now watch him becone the Sounders top scorer.:facepalm:

Strikers
11-24-2010, 10:00 PM
We'll see what happens. First he was coming off a serious injury and had to deal with Mo & Preki in his short stay here. Not an easy way to come into the league. I'm sure he'll be a solid player in Seattle under Schmid.

jloome
11-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Now watch him becone the Sounders top scorer.:facepalm:

Sigi's no fool. Kid has talent, just can't read the pro game. Maybe once he's in a system he'll be able to. He's still a hell of a finisher; but let's be honest, how many chances did he really get in front of goal?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-24-2010, 10:04 PM
He wasn't the same player after recovering from a fractured fibula.

rodney?

Derko
11-24-2010, 10:08 PM
I harbour no ill will towards OB White, all the best to him, unless he's playing against TFC!

He will be another one of those ex-Toronto players that will haunt us,maybe!!

Sullivan
11-24-2010, 10:08 PM
rodney?

Yes.

Sullivan
11-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Sigi's no fool. Kid has talent, just can't read the pro game. Maybe once he's in a system he'll be able to. He's still a hell of a finisher; but let's be honest, how many chances did he really get in front of goal?

He'll be surrounded by smarter, more talented players. He'll just follow the ball, fewer decisions, it's what he did at UConn.

ArmenJBX
11-24-2010, 10:20 PM
O'Brian White is in Seattle now? :D Holy what a trip :P

ManUtd4ever
11-24-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm glad it was Obie instead of Barrett...

Alixir
11-24-2010, 11:53 PM
I am willing to bet money that White scores against TFC next season.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-24-2010, 11:59 PM
^ In the reserve league, maybe. He's got some good scoring touch, but he's so slow, he's like the missing link between man and molasses.

ag futbol
11-25-2010, 12:51 AM
I think what Vancouver is saying with this is:

"The available MLS players are shit. We're going to go out and find our own."
Exactly, and frankly the way they played it was smart. They immediately turned over their picks for assets.

I still have major questions about their team and i don't buy their management team being all that great, but I think they showed much more forward thinking than portland today.

Don't think we'll miss OBW, Seattle can take this one as a long term project.

TFC Bhoy
11-25-2010, 01:29 AM
its not that I hated OBW, but just that I had high hopes for him and was left hanging. All the best to him, but I have to say im really not too disappointed he's gone

Shway
11-25-2010, 02:21 AM
sad to see him go,
but happy to see him leave

Brooker
11-25-2010, 03:19 AM
OBW scored 0 goals for Vancouver...... we told you he was shit!

Shakes McQueen
11-25-2010, 04:05 AM
Smell ya later Obie.

- Scott

Fort York Redcoat
11-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Going from prospect number 1 to broken leg to Allocation.

I believe those who're saying he'll be spending more time in the reserves are right.

TOBOR !
11-25-2010, 07:56 AM

sorry, but 'Hell of a finisher' of what ? I've never seen any evidence of this. How does 'playing in the wrong system' affect your ability to direct a shot on goal ?

maninb
11-25-2010, 08:40 AM
OBW had many many chances to shine here and 95% of the time he was absolute crap....Sure he may be a late bloomer but you can't teach intelligence, speed or aggression, and he was sadly lacking in all of those...Anyway good luck to the kid...

Fort York Redcoat
11-25-2010, 09:11 AM
They were mentioning that his move to Vancouver would be interesting because of the Canada/Jamaica international scandal.

Well that's done. He'll be spending most of his time in the US now.

__wowza
11-25-2010, 09:15 AM
you can't teach intelligence, speed or aggression, and he was sadly lacking in all of those

i do recall a two game stint where he was tenacious as hell. he didn't score but he put constant pressure on the ball, so i disagree with you that he lacks aggression or intelligence. he's just inconsistent.

gtaguy
11-25-2010, 10:31 AM
i think obw was used incorrectly by the many tfc coaches. for one this guy does not have legs to marathon back and forth on the field and should have been used more as a poacher infront of the net..
he was a classy kid and I hope that next year is not his breakout year with seattle and make TFC's front office look like fools again

reggie
11-25-2010, 10:40 AM
why didnt we trade him for some allo money??

ensco
11-25-2010, 10:45 AM

Interim guys have less credibility with other teams in terms of doing trades on a deadline. Everything happens so fast on a day like yesterday.

The TFC FO have no ability to just say yes to anything.

Pachuco
11-25-2010, 10:51 AM

Because that would've meant protecting him and leaving someone else unprotected.

reggie
11-25-2010, 11:06 AM
i could of lived without protecting peterson..

Heathen
11-25-2010, 11:21 AM
i think obw was used incorrectly by the many tfc coaches. for one this guy does not have legs to marathon back and forth on the field and should have been used more as a poacher infront of the net..
he was a classy kid and I hope that next year is not his breakout year with seattle and make TFC's front office look like fools again

A poacher? you can't really have a pure poacher when you're playing 4-5-1. Personally I think since his injury he's been tentative in the tackle, that along with an inclination towards laziness are the reasons most aren't upset to see him go.

Oldtimer
11-25-2010, 11:24 AM

Peterson's not great, but he has more upside than OBW.

Pachuco
11-25-2010, 11:36 AM

This is a good point. I actually would take OBW over Peterson on any given day. Peterson is a terrible winger but somehow people warmed up to him because he scored 2 goals late in the season. Never mind the fact that his service from the wings is attrocious.

Now having said that, referring to your first question. If you leave Peterson unprotected maybe they take Peterson, and then trade him for allocation money, and the question is the same, why didn't we protect Peterson right?

Unless your team is real shit, it's difficult to protect every single player who is worth something, even a little bit of allocation money. So it's likely teams will lose players in the expansion draft who they may have been able to trade for something. That's how it goes.

Beach_Red
11-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Interim guys have less credibility with other teams in terms of doing trades on a deadline. Everything happens so fast on a day like yesterday.

The TFC FO have no ability to just say yes to anything.

So what do you think the latest date should be to either hire someone else or remove the "interim" tag?

jloome
11-25-2010, 11:52 AM
sorry, but 'Hell of a finisher' of what ? I've never seen any evidence of this. How does 'playing in the wrong system' affect your ability to direct a shot on goal ?

Short memory. He scored two beauts last season, including one where he flipped the ball over his head in the box and volleyed it into the top corner.

When was the last time you actually saw him take a shot?

Section 117
11-25-2010, 12:02 PM
jloome - two goals over that last two years can't justify his talents... The guys is 25 either by this point he is a footballer or not. His touch and movement were good against college players where you play maybe one solid defender a year....

College is not the place to find strikers IMO by that point of their career if they are really good they wouldn't be playing in college...

Perfect example is Zakuani went through Arsenal youth system which means he had the talent went to college cause he couldn't cut it for what ever reason, now he is on trial with Everton. He had the talent originally not like OBW or the majority of the strikers coming out of college

jloome
11-25-2010, 12:09 PM
jloome - two goals over that last two years can't justify his talents... The guys is 25 either by this point he is a footballer or not. His touch and movement were good against college players where you play maybe one solid defender a year....

College is not the place to find strikers IMO by that point of their career if they are really good they wouldn't be playing in college...

Perfect example is Zakuani went through Arsenal youth system which means he had the talent went to college cause he couldn't cut it for what ever reason, now he is on trial with Everton. He had the talent originally not like OBW or the majority of the strikers coming out of college

I see the argument, just disagree. I think he has the technical and physical skills to score a lot of goals. He just can't read the speed of play, same problem as Julius James in his first year (and still his big weakness, but not as much).

WE had a very poorly structured tactical system, which doesn't help. But you might be right. I tend to think you can improve most of a player's skills fairly significantly as they age -- it's their physical tools that decline, not their cognitive skill. That's why most coaches say strikers peak at 26 or 7 and goalies often peak over 30.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's successful eventually in MLS, although I don't see a world beater there. I think his knee injury took away too much of his acceleration, and he hasn't learned to be more of a target/poacher/scrapper.

edit: LOL, and it was four goals in two years, two of which were particularly impressive. I know, not exactly a thunderous strike rate.

jloome
11-25-2010, 12:11 PM

Haven't half the good strikers in this league come out of college? Brian McBride, Taylor Twellman, both guys with Europe-level skills, came out of college.

I agree it's a poor system to have pros starting at that age, but it's not the end of the world and there is some talent there.

Section 117
11-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Haven't half the good strikers in this league come out of college? Brian McBride, Taylor Twellman, both guys with Europe-level skills, came out of college.

I agree it's a poor system to have pros starting at that age, but it's not the end of the world and there is some talent there.

Completely agreed there is SOME talent there. But unless the player is a virtual lock for top three in the draft, TFC is better off finding keepers, defenders and midfielders in draft as there is more succes drafting these players than strikers...

ensco
11-25-2010, 12:29 PM
So what do you think the latest date should be to either hire someone else or remove the "interim" tag?

In this case, I'd say Jan 1. You need at least two weeks to get ready for the draft.

If Cochrane does the draft, that will be a major negative for me. They'll have wasted a large part of the offseason by that point.

Stryker
11-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Sigi commented yesterday that White had good speed.
Speed like a locomotive. Takes him 3/4 of the pitch to get up to speed and then once he does it would take him another half to slow down.

rocker
11-25-2010, 01:01 PM
My scouting report on White:

White is good in traffic, muscling off defenders and somehow keeping the ball on his foot. He's powerful in that regard.
He's absolutely pathetic in the air (he has an awful time judging high balls; his opponent wins the balls coming down out of the air 99% of the time despite the fact that he's so tall), so I don't think he'd ever be good at heading crosses or the like.
His maximum speed is quite fast, with those long strides. But his quickness is awful; in a 100m race he'd be the last guy off the blocks. His finishing when in close is good in limited opportunities (he's no Kai Kamara, I think). His passing is decent.
He's 25 years old, so I don't expect much more improvement, but in the right system he could be a 10 goal man. The big question is price. Right now he's probably only worth $50-80K in MLS cap terms. If he could produce 10 goals, he'd be worth more than that.

Fort York Redcoat
11-25-2010, 01:27 PM
In this case, I'd say Jan 1. You need at least two weeks to get ready for the draft.

If Cochrane does the draft, that will be a major negative for me. They'll have wasted a large part of the offseason by that point.

Tom said Cochrane and Brennan are taking us through the draft.

tovan
11-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Vancouver took Nyassi and Sturgis away from Seattle and gave them White in return lol. Talk about stickin it to your rivals.

69Chevy396
11-25-2010, 06:29 PM
I predict White rarely starts for Seattle, and eventually gets dropped signing with a USL team.

jloome
11-25-2010, 06:44 PM

White is good in traffic, muscling off defenders and somehow keeping the ball on his foot. He's powerful in that regard.
He's absolutely pathetic in the air (he has an awful time judging high balls; his opponent wins the balls coming down out of the air 99% of the time despite the fact that he's so tall), so I don't think he'd ever be good at heading crosses or the like.
His maximum speed is quite fast, with those long strides. But his quickness is awful; in a 100m race he'd be the last guy off the blocks. His finishing when in close is good in limited opportunities (he's no Kai Kamara, I think). His passing is decent.
He's 25 years old, so I don't expect much more improvement, but in the right system he could be a 10 goal man. The big question is price. Right now he's probably only worth $50-80K in MLS cap terms. If he could produce 10 goals, he'd be worth more than that.

Bang on.

J .
11-25-2010, 07:00 PM
I cannot believe people are defending him. He had no solid qualities to be a starter in MLS. He couldnt play in the rigid Preki style or in Dasovic. His first touch was poor, vision poor, heading qualities were poor, his quickness was poor, he ability to finish was poor.

slOBW is gone. Excellent.

TFCRegina
11-25-2010, 07:47 PM

And how much better would they have been if they had been in a proper academy setup?

I often wonder how awesome Frei could have been if he'd have been developed in a club.

jloome
11-25-2010, 09:18 PM
And how much better would they have been if they had been in a proper academy setup?

I often wonder how awesome Frei could have been if he'd have been developed in a club.

LOL, interesting example, he was at FC St. Gallen from age 10 to 14. So he had a pretty solid foundation. Not the same as being there the entire time, but he had an advantage over a lot of American kids.

Darlofletch
11-25-2010, 09:42 PM

I wouldn't go that far, one of his 4 goals, he messed up an easy tap in, and barely bundled the ball home, against chicago, and that was ffollowed by another easy tap in that he completely missed and wen through his legs, can't remember against who, so he's had his share of kamara-esque moments.

Jamaicanadian
11-26-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm too close to OB to be objective....
Sometimes a fresh start is needed....I hope he pulls a Buddle on us and with his with his career.

I understand the critiscsm regarding his play for TFC. For the most part he's paid to score goals.........

Fort York Redcoat
11-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Sometimes a fresh start is needed....I hope he pulls a Buddle on us and with his with his career.

I understand the critiscsm regarding his play for TFC. For the most part he's paid to score goals.........

I don't care about that- Who do you want him to play for in the say... the next Gold Cup???:D

__wowza
11-26-2010, 11:56 AM

:( why can't anyone ever improve after they get HERE?

Jamaicanadian
11-26-2010, 11:58 AM
I don't care about that- Who do you want him to play for in the say... the next Gold Cup???:D

I want him to play for the team that he want to play for if he is fortunate enough to have to make this difficult decsion......:)

Jamaicanadian
11-26-2010, 12:02 PM

Not enough coaching stability is a big factor IMO.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2010, 12:10 PM

Barretts gotten better

torontocelt
11-26-2010, 12:11 PM

That's a bit unfair as Frei has improved as has Attakora. Could you say Cann has possibily improved? Another person who you could argue has improved is DeRo as he has had his highest scoring season ever whilst playing in a terrible team although that is using stats to your advantage. It is fair to say that not many players have improved though although how much of that is down to them being crap and how much of it is down to poor training I do not know?

Oldtimer
11-26-2010, 12:12 PM

Even Garcia's gotten better.

Big Bruva
11-26-2010, 12:20 PM
its not that I hated OBW, but just that I had high hopes for him and was left hanging. All the best to him, but I have to say im really not too disappointed he's gone

This is why Footballers need to realize that their career is short an try to set themselves up with something to do after especially when playing in the MLS coz O'B did have high expectations and he did not live up to it but a lot of the reason comes down to his serious injury.

O'B is a friend and im telling you he was much faster before the injury. He now visibly runs slower and more stiff which is a shame.

Big Bruva
11-26-2010, 12:30 PM

Exactly G, i would love him to go Seattle and tear it up. That injury was huge, remember when he was at Magic G tearing up the pitch?

Jamaicanadian
11-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Exactly G, i would love him to go Seattle and tear it up. That injury was huge, remember when he was at Magic G tearing up the pitch?

Yes sir I do...
Next to DeRo he was one of the toughest players to play against in the OSL....I hope he can find that form again, but like you said...the injury.

__wowza
11-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Barretts gotten better

That's a bit unfair as Frei has improved as has Attakora. Could you say Cann has possibily improved? Another person who you could argue has improved is DeRo as he has had his highest scoring season ever whilst playing in a terrible team although that is using stats to your advantage. It is fair to say that not many players have improved though although how much of that is down to them being crap and how much of it is down to poor training I do not know?

Even Garcia's gotten better.

i meant in terms of the three strikers we've released.

Big Bruva
11-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Yes sir I do...
Next to DeRo he was one of the toughest players to play against in the OSL....I hope he can find that form again, but like you said...the injury.

I had to be on my toes marking O'B and just ask Ronny about O'B lol

CretanBull
11-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Don't Seatle play on plastic? He can't be too thrilled about that...

I have no hard feelings towards the guy, but I won't miss him - someone had to go, it might as well have been him.

Oldtimer
11-26-2010, 01:00 PM
i meant in terms of the three strikers we've released.

If they got better, why would we release them?

It doesn't add up.

Either we'd:
1) keep them
2) Trade them within MLS
3) Sell them abroad