PDA

View Full Version : Possible GAs

Nuvinho
11-23-2010, 10:41 AM
MLS identifies non-seniors for possible Generation Adidas contract offers after NCAA season

By Steve Goff
The Insider has obtained a list of non-senior college players identified by MLS for possible Generation Adidas contract offers after the NCAA tournament:

Akron junior MF-F Darlington Nagbe
Akron junior D Kofi Sarkodie
Akron sophomore D Zarek Valentin
California junior GK David Bingham
Indiana junior F Will Bruin
Maryland sophomore D Ethan White
Maryland junior MF Matt Kassel
Maryland GK Zac MacMath
Maryland junior F Casey Townsend
Notre Dame sophomore MF Dillon Powers
Penn State junior F Corey Hertzog
UC Santa Barbara junior MF Michael Tetteh
UC Santa Barbara junior MF Luis Silva

The league hopes to sign between eight and 10 from this list. From what I hear, two other highly regarded players, Connecticut junior midfielder Tony Cascio and Duke sophomore forward Ryan Finley, are expected to remain in school.

For clubs, the advantage of acquiring a GA player is the accompanying exemption from the salary cap for at least two years. For the player, joining MLS early yields a larger contract/signing bonus than a senior would receive.
One of the aims of Generation Adidas is to enhance the player pool in the draft, which this offseason will take place Jan. 13 in Baltimore. However, MLS's year-old homegrown rule complicates the situation. Clubs are beginning to take advantage of the policy by signing players who pass through their youth academy. As I understand it, a club would have first rights to an academy player who decides to sign in MLS. If the team doesn't want to offer a contract, the player would then become available to all clubs in the draft.
Kassel (Red Bulls), Hertzog (Philadelphia), White (D.C. United) and Cascio (Real Salt Lake) are affiliated with MLS club academies. I'm not sure about others mentioned above. In general, most college players would go into the draft.

According to sources, MLS has also taken a strong interest in signing some of the top seniors before the draft, eliminating the risk of a club selecting a player who might be enticed to head abroad instead:

Akron MF Anthony Ampipitakwong
California D A.J. Soares
Duke MF Cole Grossman
North Carolina MF Michael Farfan
North Carolina D Jalil Anibaba
North Carolina MF Stephen McCarthy

Sullivan
11-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Random thoughts:

Based on what his 2 older brothers did, Kofi Sarkodie remains in school and graduates. His family is big on education. I don't see him as a Gen A signing. However, he's the best of the three.

Kassel is tied to the RedBulls through his time with their Academy. So I'm told, read, hear, etc.

Dillon Powers has teams salivating, he's very strong, and has Bobby Clark mentoring him; Clark being ex Aberdeen and Scotland keeper. He has a history of developing smart players. He also has a hand in helping his players get set up in Europe - remember Joe Lapira - 2008 draft, 3rd round pick now playing somewhere in Europe.

Ryan Finlay was suspended by Duke last Thursday, indefinetly, on the eve of the NCAAs. He's now waiting his MLS/Gen A offer.

And whoever drafts Farfan, gets the family too! I wouldn't be surprised if this kid sends word to TFC & Vancouver to not select him, because he doesn't want to play in "Kanada", he'll be willing to sit out 2 years.

ArmenJBX
11-23-2010, 06:11 PM
We're signing Kassel

Imagine! A guy named Kassel in a team in Toronto! :D

Sullivan
11-23-2010, 06:19 PM
I posted this one elsewhere some time ago...

The first Gen A player is Texas native Omar Salgado, a 16 yr old forward who stands 6'4, 170 and plays on the US u20. He left Chivas de Guadalajara, he was part of the Mexico u20 program (his parents are Mexican). What's interesting is both Vancouver and Portland have an interest in him. Because he is u18, his loan to the Whitecaps was shelved, so now he's training with Portland. Regardless, he won't fall to 9th, or 8th.

Sullivan
12-01-2010, 08:16 PM
The next Gen A signing is ...
Ryan Finlay, 19 (1991) 6', 180 - he's a forward, Duke University - sophmore

As per the talk from the adidas people at the Akron Indiana game on Sunday, expect something very soon, terms and conditions agreed upon, he
just needs to put pen to paper.

Started in 17 games this season; scored 17 goals.
Smart player, always looking to support the ball; has got good speed, knows how and when to use it. Good first touch and ball control, moves the ball quickly. Performs under pressure. Good ball striker

2010 All ACC First Team
2010 ACC Offensive Player of the Year
Duke's top scorer this year and last. All Freshman team last year.
Was in the USSF residency program U17, Member of the u18 YNT
Has trialed with 2 clubs in Europe
Currently suspended by the coach for violating team rules on the eve of the NCAAs.

Also, Zac MacMath 19 (1991) a 6'2", 175 goalkeeper with Maryland - Jr
Will announce his commitment to the Gen A program shortly after Maryland's season is finished.

2010 All ACC First Team
Plays in the USSF u20 & u23 setups
Tim Howard had him at Everton for training this past summer.
Good shot stopper, quick feet and is very vocal and demanding in
his box. He's got nothing left to prove at the NCAA level, he's ready for
the pro game and has Cirovski pushing him there.

The adidas people are usually very reliable, but I was waiting to hear from some others and they too hear that Finley & MacMath are as good as signed.

MacMath will be the first keeper selected, but UVa shotstopper Diego Restrepo has my eye. I think he's the closest to being MLS ready, and is an excellent shotstopper. In comparing NCAA careers, better than Frei, certainly smarter and a lot quicker. Probably would have been available at the 8th pick! But u know the rest.....

Ossington Mental Youth
12-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Kassel is definitely tied to RBNJ but Ives said they arent interested in him and will most likely pass

razor787
12-01-2010, 09:12 PM
The title of this topic is very misleading...

TOBOR !
12-01-2010, 09:13 PM
it's not just 'possible' - I've definitely got Gas.

razor787
12-01-2010, 09:16 PM
I love how immature us red patch boys are. The only ones to make the gas comment were the full fledged members :P

Juanito
12-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Membership has its privileges.