PDA

View Full Version : Respect for Conor Casey

Kooper
11-22-2010, 09:34 AM
When TFC signed Conor Casey in the expansion draft I initially thought, nice we have a proven MLS striker who can score goals and win games. Then he left and I stopped caring. When he came back to play against us I would pull out the "TO Reject" chant but generally I have not care much about him.

Last night as I cheered for Colorado to beat Cunningham and Hartman I found a respect for Casey and found myself thinking, what would TFC's history have been like if he stayed? Dichio and Casey up front would have been pretty for opposition defenders. He is a leader on the field and never gives up on balls. The prospect of Casey up front with Dero feeding him passes would have been amazing.

JonO
11-22-2010, 09:51 AM
If we kept Casey, it's unlikely we would have gotten dichio - they're too similar...

Phil
11-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Moving this thread as its not really news.

Cheers

__wowza
11-22-2010, 09:55 AM
casey conor you mean?

deltox
11-22-2010, 10:04 AM
i think i would prefer Buddle still up front

Carts
11-22-2010, 10:10 AM
casey conor you mean?

I couldn't believe it when I heard him announced as that...

Even worse was the attempt at fixing it with "...that's Mr.Casey I mean..."

Love him, hate him, or don't care - he busted his ass out there and deserved the Man of the Match honours...

His quote in the paper this morning was funny "...I've never won anything before, really, so I was giving everything out there..."

It showed...

Carts...

__wowza
11-22-2010, 10:22 AM
His quote in the paper this morning was funny "...I've never won anything before, really, so I was giving everything out there..."

It showed...

Carts...

he was giving elbows, and headbutts, and arm drags.
he's not a benoit is he? :rolleyes:

Frick
11-22-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm pretty sure we picked him up through the returning US players allocation with the intent to trade him to Colorado. He's from that State and wanted to go there after leaving Europe. Since MLS has their wonderful rules, we grabbed him, played him in 2 games for limited mintues and traded him. Pretty much like the McBride/Barrett deal the following year.

deltox
11-22-2010, 11:22 AM
^if thats the case, why did they put his pic on the season ticket in the first yr?

Frick
11-22-2010, 12:02 PM
^if thats the case, why did they put his pic on the season ticket in the first yr?

I don't think it's too hard to fathom a possibility that the guy running the team didn't communicate his full plans/intentions to the guy in charge of designing/printing tickets.

It was also ironic that the ticket his picture was on, was the game versus Colorado.

Pachuco
11-22-2010, 01:48 PM
There is no player in the MLS that I hate more then Casey Connor ;).

He is the epidemy of everything that is wrong with football in the MLS. He's a hack, dirty piece of shit who I wish someone would just turn around and klobber in the face for once.

Of course with my luck he wins MVP of the match. Well, atleats he was embarrased by the announcer not even knowing the guy's name.

Roogsy
11-22-2010, 01:52 PM
He does what it takes to win and it's up to the ref to take him to task if he crosses the line. What was evident was that he was giving his all to try to help his team win and his first goal was a direct result of not shying away from getting down and dirty.

Do I like his style? Nope.

Do I respect it? Kind of. I don't like "dirty" players but I do like to see heart and determination, which he showed plenty of. There was a mad desperation look to him last night that I would have loved to have bottled and given to TFC players this season.

TOBOR !
11-22-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't think it's too hard to fathom a possibility that the guy running the team didn't communicate his full plans/intentions to the guy in charge of designing/printing tickets.

It was also ironic that the ticket his picture was on, was the game versus Colorado.

I think the intent was to keep him, but once he'd made his position clear there was nothing in it but to move him to Colorado. And so began the search for a replacement.

Carts
11-22-2010, 01:57 PM
he was giving elbows, and headbutts, and arm drags.
he's not a benoit is he? :rolleyes:

LOL... Kinda looks like a pro-wrestler...

Its funny though. Dallas played physical against Becks, Donovan and Buddle and succeeded doing so... Against Casey - not so much...

He gave out a lot - but received a lot too...

There were some great battles up front during the match last night...

He had a 'douchebag moment' though. Hartman had the ball (in his hands) when one of his players was hurt. He tossed it to the sidelines for play to stop. Now, as we all know, Hartman was playing on basically 1-leg, so couldn't take goal kicks. When Casey went over to throw the ball back in - I could hear Hartman as clear as people beside yell at Casey to throw the ball to him, then even said "...I'll wait Case, just wave..." (obviously for Casey to get back into position). Casey grabbed the ball, and tossed it out for a goal kick...

He should have given it to Hartman, as he had it before the injury - but in a Cup final, I'd probably take any advantage I could get as well... LOL

Carts...

TFC/Everton
11-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Nothing but respect for Casey. All heart

sulfur
11-22-2010, 04:39 PM
He had a 'douchebag moment' though. Hartman had the ball (in his hands) when one of his players was hurt. He tossed it to the sidelines for play to stop. Now, as we all know, Hartman was playing on basically 1-leg, so couldn't take goal kicks. When Casey went over to throw the ball back in - I could hear Hartman as clear as people beside yell at Casey to throw the ball to him, then even said "...I'll wait Case, just wave..." (obviously for Casey to get back into position). Casey grabbed the ball, and tossed it out for a goal kick...

He should have given it to Hartman, as he had it before the injury
That's something you'll see almost every competitive player do. It's an advantage to force a goal kick (especially when a defender is taking them) than to let the GK have it in his hands. Competitive players will take any advantage given to them. All the time, even if the game is meaningless and well out of reach.

Carts
11-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Nothing but respect for Casey. All heart

He must have been bagged after the match last night...

The man ran his ass off, fought off defenders, and even managed to score from his ass out there...

He plays a very "Canadian" style that many of us love here in Toronto...

Kind of a player you hate to play against (or watch against your team) but becomes a local hero when on your club...

Carts...

Carts
11-22-2010, 06:45 PM
That's something you'll see almost every competitive player do. It's an advantage to force a goal kick (especially when a defender is taking them) than to let the GK have it in his hands. Competitive players will take any advantage given to them. All the time, even if the game is meaningless and well out of reach.

Oh I know - like I said, I would have done the EXACT SAME THING...

Doesn't make it a non-douchebag move (as everyone knows Hartman was playing on one leg)...

But, ask anyone who played hockey against me at a high level, and douchebag would be the nicest thing said... LOL

Footy at a high level, I was less-a-douchebag, but not much... ;)

I'll take every inch I can get...

Carts...

Blowing Bubbles
11-22-2010, 06:47 PM
he's a dink but I have to give him kudos for last night .... he was an animal out there. You want to see guys busting their ass when it's all on the line.

jvanpeebles
11-22-2010, 07:00 PM
say what you want about him but given the chance to have him again most of us would jump at that in a second.

TFC OZZ
11-22-2010, 08:34 PM
I thought also that we got him through the returning US player allocation... If I remember correctly, MO knew he wanted to go to Colorado but signed him to hold them ransom. Didn't Casey state that he didn't want to be in Toronto?...

Anyways, he played well last night, but I'm not really going to support players who don't want to play here.

Heart of Stone
11-22-2010, 09:03 PM
He plays a very "Canadian" style that many of us love here in Toronto...

Kind of a player you hate to play against (or watch against your team) but becomes a local hero when on your club...

So maybe Klinsmann will look for a GM/Coach who likes players who can score while sitting on their asses to build our soccer identity...

Carts
11-22-2010, 09:18 PM
So maybe Klinsmann will look for a GM/Coach who likes players who can score while sitting on their asses to build our soccer identity...

LOL... Like they say "...they don't ask how, just how many..."

If Klinsmann can find a player who can score 20-25 goals, all from his ass, TFC should take him...

Carts... :)