PDA

View Full Version : Danny Dichio 23:13

FluSH
11-21-2010, 09:26 PM
It took me a second to realize that it was us who were chanting tonight at the MLS Cup... and there it was Danny Dichio 23:13.

The most heard voices...

I'm glad that those who went paid respect to our grounds proper. It made me tear.

One day we will make the playoffs and play in these finals...

Heart of Stone
11-21-2010, 09:31 PM

It would be magical...

TFCin110
11-21-2010, 09:42 PM
It would be magical....I miss Dichio....

Nerepis
11-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Well Done!

clc12
11-21-2010, 09:49 PM
It took me a second to realize that it was us who were chanting tonight at the MLS Cup... and there it was Danny Dichio 23:13.

The most heard voices...

I'm glad that those who went paid respect to our grounds proper. It made me tear.

all i can say is awesome!
it would have been crazy if the majority of tfc supporters decided to show up at the game and drown out the other supporters with pro-TFC chants. that would have been classic.

Heart of Stone
11-21-2010, 09:54 PM
all i can say is awesome!
it would have been crazy if the majority of tfc supporters decided to show up at the game and drown out the other supporters with pro-TFC chants. that would have been classic.

Like that Dichio was done but it would have been kind of shitty to sing TFC chants without our team being there... a little classless...

clc12
11-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Like that Dichio was done but it would have been kind of shitty to sing TFC chants without our team being there... a little classless...

as long as we are at home i think its fair game.
this is our house!

phonzo
11-22-2010, 12:44 AM
I think respecting the supporters of the two teams playing is equally as important. The FCD and Rapids fans traveled a long way and honestly this weekend for those that partook was about setting past supporter differences and enjoying ourselves. Shit look at joes or football factory they were great.

So to me doing a lot of TFC chants would have just been a little classless. That's my personal view though

Mark TFC
11-22-2010, 01:36 AM
I think it was great to hear! Like clc12 said, this is our house so it's totally fair game.

loconet
11-22-2010, 01:39 AM
The spontaneous 23:13 chant during ot was nice too..

Yagbod
11-22-2010, 02:04 AM
Screw the rest of the league. We had to pay for this game. And the game mostly sucked. I sang loud and proud for TFC. It is a disgrace that neither Dallas or Colorado could not host this game, but it was here and the top of 109, 110, 111 and the better parts of 112 and 113 had a good time singing for TFC. (no disrespect to the other sections where you did your best.)

For the week and pre-game we toasted the visitors. I was at Joe's on Saturday and 'grinned and bared it' when the visitors mocked us in words and song. It was all in good spirit, but when the game started: fuck them. Bring your people if you want the show.

We sang and it was good.

Auzzy
11-22-2010, 02:04 AM
I was sitting near the Colorado supporters section. A good number of them loudly sang along with the Dichio chant at 23:13 of regular time.

morgank1986
11-22-2010, 02:17 AM
I loved it that there were two 23:13. And the Dichio was sung on both.

razor787
11-22-2010, 02:59 AM
I think respecting the supporters of the two teams playing is equally as important. The FCD and Rapids fans traveled a long way and honestly this weekend for those that partook was about setting past supporter differences and enjoying ourselves. Shit look at joes or football factory they were great.

So to me doing a lot of TFC chants would have just been a little classless. That's my personal view though

Agreed. There were several TFC chants that people tried starting up, but didnt last long at all, and ended up being pretty quiet. I admit, I did take part in a couple TFC chants, but only those that are must haves at BMO.

I am suprised at how many Dallas fans came out. With the distance that they had to travel, and the problems they have in the stands at their own park, it was great to see so many of them.

Brooker
11-22-2010, 03:23 AM
I am suprised at how many Dallas fans came out. With the distance that they had to travel, and the problems they have in the stands at their own park, it was great to see so many of them.

didn't their FO fly them all up if they had a ticket for the MLS Cup?

phonzo
11-22-2010, 07:32 AM

no not all - their FO did charter a flight etc and sell packages that included the ticket, subsidized flight and hotel. Which is equally awesome.

Cashcleaner
11-22-2010, 08:01 AM
I ran into a couple of Dallas and Calorado fans in town over the weekend, many of which had never been to Canada before, and they were all really impressed with the city and the club's supporters. And to be honest, I think their trip up north may have shattered a few previous misconceptions about us.

zamperina
11-22-2010, 08:11 AM
I met people from Both teams and ones from L.A. , Houston and Philadelphia who were here for the first time. Everyone said that T.O. was a cool city.

P.S. Was the Dallas F.O. at Shoeless before the game last night? I saw a few professionally dressed people enter a limo to head to the game.

pekduck
11-22-2010, 08:44 AM
no not all - their FO did charter a flight etc and sell packages that included the ticket, subsidized flight and hotel. Which is equally awesome.

as much as i wanted to see that happen for us in Toronto, but i'm not even going to entertain the remote possibility of our FO considering it

this is FC Dallas's owner who knows sporting franchises (per wiki)

Clark Knobel Hunt (born February 19, 1965) is Chairman of the Board of the National Football League's Kansas City Chiefs and a founding investor-owner in Major League Soccer. Hunt inherited ownership of Major League Soccer's Columbus Crew and FC Dallas in 2006.

He is the son of Lamar Hunt and the grandson of oil tycoon H.L. Hunt. Following the death of his father in 2006, Clark, his sister, and two brothers inherited ownership of the Chiefs. Clark serves as the ultimate authority as Chairman of the Board.[1]

Red Rat
11-22-2010, 08:44 AM
^^they were all there there including some cheer leaders.
And yes all drinking together read that TFC FO.

DavydMT
11-22-2010, 09:39 AM
It was a great weekend and i need to get some sleep now.
In my onion final should always be in neutral location and MLS should start treating it as a weeklong festival of football.
It was great to sing Dichio and do the bounce with LA, Chivas and Portland supporters.

Parkdale
11-22-2010, 09:46 AM
In my onion final should always be in neutral location and MLS should start treating it as a weeklong festival of football.

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/onion430x300.jpg

my onion agrees

phonzo
11-22-2010, 09:51 AM
P.S. Was the Dallas F.O. at Shoeless before the game last night? I saw a few professionally dressed people enter a limo to head to the game.

Yup; their entire front office and owner as well as the mayor of one of the burbs of Dallas.

Pek, I agree with you would be fantastic to see but ya...

jabbronies
11-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Dichio23:13 was the most fun I had all night! Well done to those who started it up. It was also one of the best I've heard in a loooooooooooooong time! Too bad our team wasn't there to enjoy it with us.

jabbronies
11-22-2010, 09:58 AM
oh...The second Dichio 23:13 in extra time was a riot! at first we were all like "huh?" but then we looked at the clock and went "oh ya!"

greatwhitenorf
11-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Met a very entertaining group of Red Bull fans - raving about their new stadium - and a group from Kentucky. Nice people with nothing but nice things to say about Toronto. Very impressed with the soccer culture they experienced here.

MartinUtd
11-22-2010, 10:11 AM

I'm with you on this one. I seriously rolled my eyes when I heard it AGAIN in extra time. Maybe now that we've done it at the cup we can let it go.. not likely though.

Carts
11-22-2010, 10:16 AM
I loved the fact the Dichio chant was done - it was our "stamp from the stands" in hosting the game...

Flooding the game with TFC chants would have been just stupid in my opinion...

We reacted to the match - but held to our tradition...

In my opinion, that was a perfect display of hosting the match...

Carts...

jabbronies
11-22-2010, 10:18 AM
I loved the fact the Dichio chant was done - it was our "stamp from the stands" in hosting the game...

Flooding the game with TFC chants would have been just stupid in my opinion...

We reacted to the match - but held to our tradition...

In my opinion, that was a perfect display of hosting the match...

Carts...

agreed

TFC John
11-22-2010, 10:21 AM
I haven't read any other threads so I appologise if this has been addressed elsewhere.
When Jurgen Klinsman does his analysis of the team and operations, could he possibly fire Danny Dichio? Is there anyone there to let him know what a huge mistake that would be? Will someone show him that we sing for Danny even at the MLS Cup final? I don't care if Danny turns out to be the worst assistant coach in the world. He should always have a home here.
BTW It was awesome to hear the 23:13 come rolling up the stadium. I was in 127 and could hear it faintly coming from the south end. Then the east side caught on and finally it spread to the north.

Section 117
11-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Danny 23:13 should be sung at every soccer match played at BMO regardless if TFC is playing are not period....

This is our tradition and if we don't sing it due it being a cup final or what have you the tradition will die out and we will be just another sports team in TO

phonzo
11-22-2010, 10:46 AM
haha talking to the dallas fans during the halftime break the inferno rep was like ya we heard it and were happy you guys were having a good time (in reference to dichio + the massive)

also the attitude of we paid for this fuck the league is wrong. I'm sorry in the end we need the MLS in a lot of ways some I didn't even ponder until yesterday to be honest.

1) It is the top league in the US / Canada
2) It has spawned and encouraged youth development of the game (USMNT)
3) Hopefully as Garber noted the same can take hold in the development of players for the CMNT
4) It's a successful and sufficient league (from a financial perspective) that continues to spread football in both countries

So no yesterday was NOT and should NOT have been taken as a we torontonians fuck the MLS game. No; yesterday was a enjoy the pinnacle of the game in the US / Canada and enjoy the comradery of fellow supporters and have some fun. That's what it was; our issues with MLSE should not have once been brought into BMO yesterday.

phonzo
11-22-2010, 10:48 AM
also I don't think anyone here is saying we shouldn't have sang danny :) I'm happy we did it. Props to Gino from U-Sec for yelling at us (well me) long enough to grab our attention.

I know keyman was already to go :)

Flint
11-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Danny 23:13 sounded GREAT on tv. One of the best singings of it i think.

Parkdale
11-22-2010, 11:10 AM
I know that when we were singing it at the 2nd 23:23 moment.... some usector guys looked over like WTF? I pointed at the clock and they got it and joined in very loudly. Good times!

Bloor West FC
11-22-2010, 11:31 AM

The package for each person on this charter with hotel for one night was $1800!!!! I think the flight to Buffalo was a better option :).

As for the Dichio chants, that was awesome, two times in one game! When will we ever do that again!

And for TFC chants I enjoyed having that to a minimum, its was about FCD and the Rapids, it was great hearing them chant from the South End. I would not have participated with TFC chants, but the Nous Chanton Le Rouge Allez chant was fun!

ilikemusic
11-22-2010, 11:38 AM
I know this is a wildly unpopular sentiment but I am so fucking sick of hearing about Danny Dichio.

DavydMT
11-22-2010, 11:46 AM
I know this is a wildly unpopular sentiment but I am so fucking sick of hearing about Danny Dichio.

just in case you missed the announcement, there is no more fucking swearing in MLS

phonzo
11-22-2010, 11:52 AM
just in case you missed the announcement, there is no more fucking swearing in MLS

yes no more fucking swearing fucking ESPN...apparently. Though ironically FCC regulations exempt that during broadcasts as it's considered natural and not controllable by the broadcaster.

fucking garber....

Wull
11-22-2010, 11:59 AM

^^ This

ilikemusic
11-22-2010, 12:05 PM

Fuck me!

clc12
11-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Screw the rest of the league. We had to pay for this game. And the game mostly sucked. I sang loud and proud for TFC. It is a disgrace that neither Dallas or Colorado could not host this game, but it was here and the top of 109, 110, 111 and the better parts of 112 and 113 had a good time singing for TFC. (no disrespect to the other sections where you did your best.)

For the week and pre-game we toasted the visitors. I was at Joe's on Saturday and 'grinned and bared it' when the visitors mocked us in words and song. It was all in good spirit, but when the game started: fuck them. Bring your people if you want the show.

We sang and it was good.

i agree. one of the main reasons Toronto was given the final was because of us! the TFC supporters.

phonzo
11-22-2010, 01:22 PM
i agree. one of the main reasons Toronto was given the final was because of us! the TFC supporters.

TFC supporters they thought would be passionate about the game as much as they are about the league. This wasn't given to TFC cause they figured you'd cheer for TFC the whole time but that you'd be excited to be part of it.

Parkdale
11-22-2010, 01:32 PM
even Dichio said in his pre game interview "I hope the Toronto guys makes some noise"

we did..... just it was boooos and it was directed at Cunningham.

Phil
11-22-2010, 01:40 PM

Oh yeah, I almost fucking forgot.

:D

Hitcho
11-22-2010, 02:47 PM

^^ This

Well Bah Humbug to you guys. May the ghost of Dichio past haunt you forever. :D:D:D

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHH
DANNY DICHIOOOOO
DICHIO
DICHIO
DANNY DICHIOOOOO

Roogsy
11-22-2010, 02:49 PM
I like the Dichio24, but wasn't too thrilled when the Massive showed up.

There were no "rouges" to "allez".

Parkdale
11-22-2010, 02:52 PM
ah, but we're chanters...

and...

chanters gonna chant.

I think we had the right balance yesterday. A few songs that were short and sweet so people knew we were there, but not trying to take attention away from the teams on the field. Or at least that's how I felt it went down.

menefreghista
11-22-2010, 03:11 PM
I like the Dichio24, but wasn't too thrilled when the Massive showed up.

There were no "rouges" to "allez".

I don't mind that.

What I found stupid was people chanting TFC songs but changing the words to Colorado or Dallas. That was retarded.

Auzzy
11-22-2010, 03:16 PM
I don't mind that.

What I found stupid was people chanting TFC songs but changing the words to Colorado or Dallas. That was retarded.

Sitting next to Colorado, we were amazed how many of their chants/songs were exactly the same as TFC chants (and likely many other team chants around the world) with slightly different words.

So maybe what you were hearing were actually Colorado or Dallas chants... :wink5:

menefreghista
11-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Sitting next to Colorado, we were amazed how many of their chants/songs were exactly the same as TFC chants (and likely many other team chants around the world) with slightly different words.

So maybe what you were hearing were actually Colorado or Dallas chants... :wink5:

I was in the south end. There were no Rapid or Dallas fans there. It was TFC fans doing the singing.

Alixir
11-22-2010, 04:06 PM
When Jurgen Klinsman does his analysis of the team and operations, could he possibly fire Danny Dichio?
he can't fire anyone...he is a consultant not a gm.

Auzzy
11-22-2010, 04:27 PM
I was in the south end. There were no Rapid or Dallas fans there. It was TFC fans doing the singing.

Note the :wink5:

tfcmanu
11-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Some Chants from around the world and MLS are used, you just change it around a little for your sepcific team.

tfcmanu
11-22-2010, 04:42 PM
A birdie told me 5000 seats were given away in the east stands so it did'nt look like the stands were empty when camera was on east stands..Can anyone confirm?

sulfur
11-22-2010, 04:44 PM
^ They still looked half empty.

South and north looked decently full. Never saw the west side.

phonzo
11-22-2010, 04:48 PM
West Side was horrid especially the upper deck. Bottom not as bad.

not the 21,700 announced

tfcmanu
11-22-2010, 04:51 PM
^ I switched over to the East side 2nd half and looked over to the west side and the top of 219 & 227 allot of empty seats, also the fairweather fan gets a free tix do you think they would make an effort in showing up and if they did they left in the 2nd half.

rocker
11-22-2010, 11:59 PM
A birdie told me 5000 seats were given away in the east stands so it did'nt look like the stands were empty when camera was on east stands..Can anyone confirm?

i doubt that's possible.

The stand only holds 7000 seats. There's gotta be more than 2000 season ticket holders in the east stands. So they wouldn't have 5000 seats to give away.

at the 30 minute mark I'd say the east stand was about 80% full. I sit directly across from it.

FluSH
11-23-2010, 10:23 PM
I haven't read any other threads so I appologise if this has been addressed elsewhere.
When Jurgen Klinsman does his analysis of the team and operations, could he possibly fire Danny Dichio? Is there anyone there to let him know what a huge mistake that would be? Will someone show him that we sing for Danny even at the MLS Cup final? I don't care if Danny turns out to be the worst assistant coach in the world. He should always have a home here.
BTW It was awesome to hear the 23:13 come rolling up the stadium. I was in 127 and could hear it faintly coming from the south end. Then the east side caught on and finally it spread to the north.

I totally agree... know why?

out of respect.

Heart of Stone
11-24-2010, 03:16 AM
Not sure who wrote this but it still gives me goosebumps:

"May 12, 2007

After failing to score in their first three away games, Toronto FC was hoping home was where the goals were. Unfortunately frustration persisted as TFC were turned aside during their home opener against Kansas City. With the clock ticking past 384 minutes of continued futility, Toronto began their next game, hosting the Chicago Fire, with the same flurry of half-chances and near misses. As the game passed the 20-minute mark, Toronto was dominating possession and was keeping the play in Chicago's half. Desperate to regain possession, Edson Buddle tore the ball from one Chicago defender and darted into the right side of the six yard box, drawing several players to him. Ever the opportunist, Danny Dichio crept behind the play and threw his body at Buddle's eventual cross, thrusting the ball into the back of the net. The goal had come at last, and the sound that accompanied it was frightening."

torontocelt
11-24-2010, 09:06 AM

I totally disagree with this, reason being TFC should only employ people if they are good at their job. If Danny was crap at his job then he should not be employed in that position. Danny Dichio is a club legend for scoring the first goal and rightly so but that does not mean that TFC owe him a living for the rest of his life regardless of his ability to perform in his job. The notion that we owe Dichio a continuous wage and job is absurd and it is not a sign in any way of disrespect if we do not offer him these benefits. If you want a club to go backwards then TFC should continue to offer guys money who cannot perform in their job. Anyway I like to think that Danny is good at his job and is continuing to learn as he could be very beneficial for our academy as he has played at the highest level and has the most amount of experience out of all of our current staff members I believe.

Parkdale
11-24-2010, 09:21 AM
If Danny was crap at his job then he should not be employed in that position.

I agree. However, there are lots of positions at TFC and they have enough money to pay him to do one that he's good at. IF he was a shit coach who the players hated, then put him into a different role. Clearly he's well liked by the staff and owners or else he wouldn't still be there.

Sure he's not entitled to have a 'job for life' because of his status, but as long as he's doing the job he's been given in a decent capacity, then why look for a replacement?

right now he's an assistant coach. He's much lower on the totem pole than the people who might be replaced by a new GM. Well first there's the GM who could be replaced, then Daso, then Leo. Danny's role needs to be filled by someone, and at the moment, there has been no evidence that he's resting on his laurels. It's the opposite of that infact.

TFC Cityboy
11-24-2010, 09:59 AM
no-one is untouchable. Legends are let go from clubs and life goes on.
The Dichio chant should continue come what may and I hope Danny has a job at TFC for life, but football ain't like that and coaches/staff and even legends sometimes have to move on.

I'm sure JK will put the basic framework of GM/Coach in place and at that point it would be up to the new man to decide who he keeps. If he lets the current staff go, that's his call, tho it would not be a popular 1st move.
Being the asshole he is, I'm surprised Preki didn't make this move!

jabbronies
11-24-2010, 10:09 AM
I've noticed that if Danny is not leading one of the pre-game drills, he's usually working with the younger kids in a group. Seems like between that and working with the youth academy, his role may be limited to development as oppose to first team duties?