PDA

View Full Version : RPB in MLS Headlines

kodiakTFC
11-21-2010, 03:57 PM
TFC supporter: No boycott of MLS Cup

Toronto FC fans won't boycott MLS Cup
Despite rumors, Red Patch Boys president says members on board

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/primary_image-620x350/image_nodes/2010/10/tfc.jpg

TORONTO – Toronto FC fans will not boycott Sunday’s MLS Cup at BMO Field after a frustrating season led to rumors that the local supporters would skip out on the event to send a message to TFC ownership.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/toronto-fc-fans-wont-boycott-mls-cup

Gixmo
11-21-2010, 04:01 PM
lol.. Hi RPBLondon!

A boycott would have be funny to see at least.. Oh vell, We'll know in a few hours!

Toronto_Bhoy
11-21-2010, 04:02 PM
I won't be there.

Darlofletch
11-21-2010, 05:08 PM
yeah, hopefully there'll be plenty of people there. people have come here from across north america, boycotting/protesting would be a bit of a slap in the face really. this game isn't about tfc or mlse, it's about MLS, and helping the growth of the game. plus a trophy will be presented and wwho knows, it could even be a decent game.

if you've still got tickets and are on the fence, just go. have fun.

Wagner
11-21-2010, 05:12 PM
yeah, hopefully there'll be plenty of people there. people have come here from across north america, boycotting/protesting would be a bit of a slap in the face really. this game isn't about tfc or mlse, it's about MLS, and helping the growth of the game. plus a trophy will be presented and wwho knows, it could even be a decent game.

if you've still got tickets and are on the fence, just go. have fun.

I agree.

Just go.
have fun.
or give your tickets to a kid and his parents.

Keyman
11-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Ha, nice picture.

Mark in Ottawa
11-21-2010, 05:14 PM
It was correct to point out that no Organized boycott is in place or being promoted by the supporters groups.

Any perceived boycott will be seen for what it is... personal decisions by individual fans.

rocker
11-21-2010, 05:52 PM
You guys are such MLSE apologists...

Love, boban

Jeff s
11-21-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm not going, I can't even sell the ticket, even on account manager pfff.

London
11-21-2010, 06:22 PM
well,

i am in the pic and i am sitting at home boycotting the match LOL

adamdz
11-21-2010, 06:50 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/hwzgi9.gif

FluSH
11-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Pronto looks freaking old in that picture... I see my brother with shades at the bottom and CB's Hairline!

phonzo
11-22-2010, 12:42 AM
i wish MLS hadn't posted this article..talking with a few folks there was a rumour started during the game that people were walking out during the game at the start. In fact they were not rather it was just that sparsely populated in the upper west stand.

I'm posting that because the rumour pissed me off to no end as it implicated that supporters u-sec / rpb were encouraging it when not once did I hear from anyone that was the intention. Shit by the middle of the second extra time it was mostly the south that still had full seats.

billyfly
11-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Some of the guys in that picture are UGLY.

BeerBaron95
11-22-2010, 02:21 AM

LMFAO!!!

Parkdale
11-22-2010, 09:10 AM

thank you adamz. that made my morning!

ilikemusic
11-22-2010, 11:28 AM
i wish MLS hadn't posted this article..talking with a few folks there was a rumour started during the game that people were walking out during the game at the start. In fact they were not rather it was just that sparsely populated in the upper west stand.

I'm posting that because the rumour pissed me off to no end as it implicated that supporters u-sec / rpb were encouraging it when not once did I hear from anyone that was the intention. Shit by the middle of the second extra time it was mostly the south that still had full seats.

Ya, this is annoying me.

There was no organized boycott. The supporters barely got a couple hundred people on board to boycott MLSE at the last game of the season, why do people think the supporters managed to keep thousands of people away from this game?

phonzo
11-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I guess what's not known is the amount of flack the RPB / U-Sec twitter accounts were getting over it accusing us of doing it and being classless fans. Sorry but I got extremely pissed over that - we are so classless that we all spent our weekend even weeks beforehand planning for this and we would then what half ass the actual game.

Rudi
11-22-2010, 12:02 PM
I guess what's not known is the amount of flack the RPB / U-Sec twitter accounts were getting over it accusing us of doing it and being classless fans. Sorry but I got extremely pissed over that - we are so classless that we all spent our weekend even weeks beforehand planning for this and we would then what half ass the actual game.
THANK YOU!!!

Fuck, those of us who run the U-Sector Twitter account were on the counter-offensive, and I noticed the RPB Twitter was, too.

The worst was that fucking twat Steve Goff seemed to be the ring-leader. I don't think he took too kindly when I asked him what kind of self-respecting reporter resorts to spreading rumours and innuendo to gain a few more Twitter followers.

phonzo
11-22-2010, 01:21 PM
THANK YOU!!!

Fuck, those of us who run the U-Sector Twitter account were on the counter-offensive, and I noticed the RPB Twitter was, too.

The worst was that fucking twat Steve Goff seemed to be the ring-leader. I don't think he took too kindly when I asked him what kind of self-respecting reporter resorts to spreading rumours and innuendo to gain a few more Twitter followers.

agreed I'm also not impressed by Nigel running with it as well - that added fuel to the fire.

Phil
11-22-2010, 01:25 PM

If we had decided to boycott a game like this, do people not expect that they would hear something about it in the media?

Our track record as groups speaks for itself, we are not media shy. The whole thing reeks of self important story creation vs. facts.

TOBOR !
11-22-2010, 01:42 PM
MLSE holds a press conference back in April to announce that Toronto will be hosting the 2010 MLS Cup Final and figured that the job was done.

After all that has gone on (and gone wrong) with this season, the only explanation for empty seats at the final must be an organised, unannounced protest.

It couldn't possibly be the poor job of advertising (that admittedly needed to be ramped up as soon as it became clear who the finalists were) once the regular season ended.

FFS, even McCown asked Anselmi about the lack of advertising (to which the response was 'don't need to, it's already sold out').

That aside, this game did not disappoint. I expected to be udnerwhelmed, and I got it.

Parkdale
11-22-2010, 01:44 PM
and let's be honest here..... A sold but unused ticket is just as good for them as a used one. It might look bad for MLS, but MLSE still gets to cash the cheque.

TOBOR !
11-22-2010, 01:52 PM
bingo - so good job MLSE... Making us all look like assholes.

ilikemusic
11-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Tom Anselmi lauged in McCown's face when he called him out for charging full price to the final CCL match that involved half the academy team.

MLSE does not give a fuck about the paying customer.

And I am becoming increasingly convinced that they will "cut off their nose to spite their face". They will drive this franchise into the ground with inflated pricing schemes just to make sure the "Toronto sports market" doesnt get a glimpse of affordable ticket prices.

Roogsy
11-22-2010, 02:56 PM
FFS, even McCown asked Anselmi about the lack of advertising (to which the response was 'don't need to, it's already sold out').

Ah and here is the rub...

phonzo
11-22-2010, 03:18 PM
haha the best was the comment to Garber about the lack of marketing for the cup final.

Garber saying he's seen plenty since he got to Toronto - which was on Thursday I believe and I think downtown didn't start getting advertising until tuesday wednesday

I mean Nigel was bang on..I come from the west end and see about one sign for it.

I think someone forgot to tell MLSE that advertising isn't just about selling something - whoops

DavydMT
11-22-2010, 03:32 PM

It couldn't possibly be the poor job of advertising (that admittedly needed to be ramped up as soon as it became clear who the finalists were) once the regular season ended.

Don Garber restfully disagreed with this statement, even customs officers at the airport knew about this game.

Beach_Red
11-22-2010, 04:09 PM
MLSE holds a press conference back in April to announce that Toronto will be hosting the 2010 MLS Cup Final and figured that the job was done.

Sure, because they decided then to include the ticket in the 2011 season ticket package and sell the leftovers to the supporters of the teams involved and people on the waiting list.

At the time it looked easy.

Oldtimer
11-22-2010, 04:20 PM
And I am becoming increasingly convinced that they will "cut off their nose to spite their face". They will drive this franchise into the ground with inflated pricing schemes just to make sure the "Toronto sports market" doesnt get a glimpse of affordable ticket prices.

Don Garber has already weighed in that the league needs to approve all ticket prices, and while they generally defer to the club (because they know local conditions best), if a team shows that they have a problem in any area, the league will intervene.

I think ML$E has shown they have a problem in this area, big time, and Don Garber was not too pleased, especially with the MLS Cup in Toronto.

Detroit_TFC
11-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Yeah, the supporters boycott meme really pissed me off too, especially when in front of everyone's face, the supporters sections (mainly 111-112-113, but even those further down the south side) were close to filled while the midfield seats were the ones with sparse attendance.