PDA

View Full Version : Thierry Henry @ Arsenal on MLS cup weekend!

Mark in Ottawa
11-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Watching today's Arsenal/Tottenham fixture and they pointed out that Thierry Henry of the NY Red Bulls was in attendance visiting his former team. He was seen during the game broadcast more than once.

They also mentioned the MLS cup at the intermission.

I guess the NYRB Designated Player doesn't think enough of MLS to put in an appearance at the MLS cup.

Wouldn't the sightings of various MLS designated players at the MLS cup be good for marketing of the league as a whole? Are any of the league DP's in Toronto this weekend?

tfcleeds
11-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Yes, Steve McManaman is in Toronto (for you Liverpool fans) - colour commentator for the MLS Cup Final. Ian Darke will do the play-by-play. They did the interview for ESPN at Dundas Square.

Mark in Ottawa
11-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Yes, Steve McManaman is in Toronto (for you Liverpool fans) - colour commentator for the MLS Cup Final. Ian Darke will do the play-by-play. They did the interview for ESPN at Dundas Square.
Yep... they were the guys talking about the MLS cup during the 1/2 time break in the Arsenal/Tottenham game from Toronto.

Seemed very professional and reflects well on the league as a whole.

boban
11-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Watching today's Arsenal/Tottenham fixture and they pointed out that Thierry Henry of the NY Red Bulls was in attendance visiting his former team. He was seen during the game broadcast more than once.

I guess the NYRB Designated Player doesn't think enough of MLS to put in an appearance at the MLS cup.

Wouldn't the sightings of various MLS designated players at the MLS cup be good for marketing of the league as a whole? Are any of the league DP's in Toronto this weekend?
He still has time to grab a flight back and be here before kickoff.

sully
11-20-2010, 06:09 PM

Henry and his team and the other DPs weren't good enough to get to Toronto. This game will be about two good football teams and won't have a celebrity angle as a distraction. Marketing the league...let Colorado and Dallas do that with a good game tomorrow.

ilikemusic
11-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Why would Henry be at the MLS Cup?

Did Sidney Crosby hang around last years Stanley Cup Final? Did Roy Halladay make an appearance at this years World Series?

anto7
11-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Yep... they were the guys talking about the MLS cup during the 1/2 time break in the Arsenal/Tottenham game from Toronto.

Seemed very professional and reflects well on the league as a whole.
Yes I watched that this morning, Stevie M looked like he was shivvering his nuts off.
Its really cool that they are airing the game live in the UK and that they have sent over Darko and Mcmannaman to call the game, although I doubt too many people will be watching the game at 1.30am

James17930
11-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Yes I watched that this morning, Stevie M looked like he was shivvering his nuts off.
Its really cool that they are airing the game live in the UK and that they have sent over Darko and Mcmannaman to call the game, although I doubt too many people will be watching the game at 1.30am

That's probably why they're showing it . . . there's nothing really to compete with it at that hour.

Although Colorado does have British connections, so I'm sure there will be a few diehards watching.

prizby
11-20-2010, 11:27 PM

Did Sidney Crosby hang around last years Stanley Cup Final? Did Roy Halladay make an appearance at this years World Series?

it is stupid comments like these that make me ignore most registered users

is the NHL only 15 years old? Are the best players in baseball playing in the Chinese league?

Simply put, the MLS isn't a totally established sports league in North America and it doesn't attract the worlds best players...it needs profile players to raise the profile especially of its supposive, marquee event

Fushida
11-20-2010, 11:34 PM

is the NHL only 15 years old? Are the best players in baseball playing in the Chinese league?

Simply put, the MLS isn't a totally established sports league in North America and it doesn't attract the worlds best players...it needs profile players to raise the profile especially of its supposive, marquee event

oh wait, so if I paid a couple of bucks my opinion wouldn't be stupid? you're tellin me.

these guys have no obligation towards attending a final that their team isn't involved in. they didn't sign a contract to promote the league, they signed one to play for their team. didn't see you crying over JDG and our TFC players not going to the MLS cup last year.

greatwhitenorf
11-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Didn't see much of Henry in the second half. Just like the rest of Arsenal.

Does ESPN offer a sub-title service for Steve McMananaman?

Redboy11
11-21-2010, 08:13 AM

Simply put, the MLS isn't a totally established sports league in North America and it doesn't attract the worlds best players...it needs profile players to raise the profile especially of its supposive, marquee eventIt's attitudes like this that have driven long time members away and why I, someone here from the start rarely post. It doesn't matter if someone is a member or not, everyone is entitled to add he or she's opinion here. Smarten the fuck up!

Hessanfefer
11-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Hear, hear or here, here I'm never sure which! :rolleyes:

koryo
11-21-2010, 01:39 PM

That's a fair question. As was rightly pointed out above, the league will help itself more by letting its football do the talking, rather than falling back on cheap bread-and-circus "celebrity" marketing.

@prizby: think before you post.

ilikemusic
11-21-2010, 01:46 PM

It is stupid (and rude) comments like this these give me no desire to become a 'member' despite the fact that I am one of the oldest users on the board (by time on board, not age).

Also, you spelt 'supposed' wrong. But you paid $15 so I guess that means it isnt stupid.

Mark in Ottawa
11-21-2010, 05:25 PM
All comments on the original questions are appreciated guys'n'gals.

I just wondered if MLS was making any effort to use all available "Star Power" to publicize the league at one of their major events.

Comparisons to Hockey/Baseball are an apple/orange type thing given the nature of their 7 game finals. The NFL Super Bowl or CFL Grey Cup are more "one of" type events and often see teams/supporters of the non playing franchises holding events or gatherings and often stars from those franchises put in an appearance to promote their own franchise as well as the leagues as a whole.

Kooper
11-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Didn't see much of Henry in the second half. Just like the rest of Arsenal.

Does ESPN offer a sub-title service for Steve McMananaman?

Hopefully there will be someone there who can translate his stupid ideas into something intelligent. Watching him on the Premier League coverage is painful.

KezmanCCCC
11-21-2010, 07:23 PM
What channel if any is the match being broadcasted on tonight?? Or is up to the Internet to broadcast it for us Canadian fans even thought the match is in Toronto

Brooker
11-21-2010, 07:44 PM
What channel if any is the match being broadcasted on tonight?? Or is up to the Internet to broadcast it for us Canadian fans even thought the match is in Toronto

It really is a shame that we have to watch the Championship game on a blurry internet stream.... like you say the fact that it's in Toronto makes it even worse.

I agree with the point your trying to make but lord knows why you wanna make so many enemies with that first part of your post.

TFCin110
11-21-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't know, if I was henry I think i'd rather be at the north london derby as well. That said, I don't think he has any obligation to be at the final

ilikemusic
11-21-2010, 08:31 PM
I understand that MLS is in a different situation than the NHL or MLB, but at some point it has to grow out of this promotional tendency to ignore the winning players and focus on the celebrity players. I dont think it reflects well on the league and I think it sends a bad message about how seriously the league takes the championship.

Heart of Stone
11-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Usually there are quite a few NBA superstars from other teams present at games during the Championship series...

AL-MO
11-21-2010, 08:42 PM

Really? C'mon man.

Comments like this won't get you any respect around here.

FluSH
11-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Usually there are quite a few NBA superstars from other teams present at games during the Championship series...

That's because most NBA superstars are there for the parties... heck they all slap each other before the game and after... good old times! lol

BC101
11-22-2010, 01:10 AM

Christ... is this a real post?

Davenport
11-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Really? C'mon man.

Comments like this won't get you any respect around here.

Agreed....very naive comment.

deltox
11-23-2010, 03:39 PM
i wasnt there and i paid for tickets.

i dont see why he would want to go....clearly he preferred watching Arsenal get spanked at home by Spurs