PDA

View Full Version : MLS on the world football calendar?

Yagbod
11-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Apologies if this was posted elsewhere.

Last night on the Fan590's Soccer Show with Reed and Iarusci, Don Garber came on and stated:

"At some point we're going to have to get on the World Calendar. And at some point we are going to be playing regular season games at this time of the year in Toronto"

They go onto discuss Russia and possible times to have a winter break. Plus the idea of scheduling the northern teams to be away in the south for the colder weeks/months.

I was shocked to hear him say this. I like the idea because it would make transferring to the MLS from other parts of the world easier and more likely. But at the same time I think: it is freaking cold here!

To listen: http://www.fan590.com/onair/soccer/
and click on the Nov 18 show. Go to the 17 min mark for the Garber interview. His comment comes at 19:00.

Thoughts?

Roogsy
11-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Garber is out of his mind.

At the moment they can't work their pea-sized heads around the international breaks, they're really going to consider moving the entire season to the other half of the year?

:out:

deltox
11-19-2010, 01:30 PM
so u think if we match our season dates with other the leagues.....that players will then come here.

thats not the reason why they dont come to the MLS

Roogsy
11-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Exactly. Players don't care when they play, just that they play at all, in a league that compensates them well, and in a league that highlighted and promoted well to allow them opportunity to move to bigger leagues. That is all you need to attract players.

deltox
11-19-2010, 01:50 PM
and they dont wanna play in snow and in minus 8 degrees weather.

and if they do switch to winter schedule, im dropping my 4 season tickets

Yagbod
11-19-2010, 01:50 PM
so u think if we match our season dates with other the leagues.....that players will then come here.

thats not the reason why they dont come to the MLS

True, but it would make it easier. For example, it would allow for those 'fringe' players who do not get signed in the Summer to play a year in MLS and then work their way back to Europe without any delays for transfer windows to open.

It certainly would not hurt the process, unlike the current situation.