PDA

View Full Version : Frei and Ibrahim officially graduate GA

Smokecell
11-17-2010, 10:03 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/generation-adidas-players-graduate-seasons-end

razor787
11-17-2010, 10:05 PM
I wonder how much we will be paying frei now. Hopefully its not so much that we cant afford to keep him. With Conway and Kocic as our other two, I can see MLSE not wanting to pay that much for another keeper. Especially with the salary cap this league has.

deltox
11-17-2010, 10:11 PM
give frei what he wants.

ibby wont count towards the cap on the new roster rules anyway

Red CB Toronto
11-17-2010, 10:30 PM
I have never understood what are the protocols for graduations, Faud has been in the league two years longer that Stefen, so how does that work, a 2007 draft pick and a 2009 selection graduating at the same time.

deltox
11-17-2010, 10:32 PM
ibby didnt play as many games as frei?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Ibby is also only 18 or 19 if im not mistaken and was 17 when he was signed and came here shortly after

TFC07
11-17-2010, 10:40 PM
give frei what he wants.

TFC are planning to sign more kids from their academy. Plus with couple of new players from draft coming next season means Ibby days are numbered unless he shows something in training camp if he belongs here.

Red CB Toronto
11-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Ashtone Morgan with the expanded roster will be signed for sure, with the roster being expanded by 4 spots and the ability to graduate as many as you want from the Academy, you will see the better ones signed for sure. Oscar has a great shot too, Fuad will have to take a huge paycut if he has any hope of sticking around.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-18-2010, 12:17 AM
give frei what he wants.

I'm not so sure about that. There must be some salary restrictions for the development players even if there salary doesn't count against the overall team cap. Ibrahim is on 100k+, I'd be surprised if there going to pay dev. players that much.

Shway
11-18-2010, 02:08 AM
speaking about academy players what ever happened to Josh Janniere, i remember on Its Call Football it was being talked about him being the most posible candidate to be signed from the academy

Yeoman
11-18-2010, 06:23 AM
TFC are planning to sign more kids from their academy. Plus with couple of new players from draft coming next season means Ibby days are numbered unless he shows something in training camp if he belongs here.

mls commish is considering of upping the amount of academy players to be allowed on the team that do not count on the cap.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-18-2010, 07:31 AM

speculation or fact?

He might also take a pay cut as i dont think anyone in the league is willing to pay 100k for him

Redpunkfiddle
11-18-2010, 07:33 AM
mls commish is considering of upping the amount of academy players to be allowed on the team that do not count on the cap.

Yes but how much will they be allowed to be paid. It seems unlikely that anything goes- you could have 6 under 25 DP salaries then!

Someone mentioned they may only be allowed the league minimum in fact.

Stouffville_RPB
11-18-2010, 07:37 AM

Ibby is younger than the "kids"coiming out of the draft and has some MLS experience. I can't see Ibby being let go over a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick in the draft if he fits into the reserve league squad.

As far as the Academy goes TFC won't just sign their academy kids to push out Ibby. I can see Ashtone Morgan and Oscar Cordon being signed but TFC aren't just going to sign anyone from the academy to push out Ibby.

Ibby needs to start showing progress and should be looking over his shoulder though.

torontocelt
11-18-2010, 08:22 AM
If we can negotiate Ibby's wages I would put him on about $28k a year, for me that is about how much he is worth to the team.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-18-2010, 09:30 AM
we dont/cant pay under 34k if im not mistaken

torontocelt
11-18-2010, 10:15 AM
we dont/cant pay under 34k if im not mistaken

Lucky for Ibby I guess, if that guy gets anywhere near his current wage then there is something seriously wrong with this world.

J .
11-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Ibby hasnt really developed, but he is still a young kid and does have some talent. I would kee him on at a lower price. He has potential, no it hasnt shown, but it would be interesting to see the price he will fetch.

jloome
11-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Ibby hasnt really developed, but he is still a young kid and does have some talent. I would kee him on at a lower price. He has potential, no it hasnt shown, but it would be interesting to see the price he will fetch.

It has shown a little bit. He just gets zero playing time and doesn't have the upper body strength yet for his height to be a striker. I think they see him more as wing player now due to the physical side, although that's probably a mistake. His close control is pretty good.

scooter
11-18-2010, 02:34 PM
he has potential but hasnt got there yet
i would be carefull not to give up on him to fast cause he might be another buttle
but i agree he aint worth 100 k
but maybe they will sell him for big bucks like edu in a few years

Nuvinho
11-18-2010, 03:43 PM
he has potential but hasnt got there yet
i would be carefull not to give up on him to fast cause he might be another buttle
but i agree he aint worth 100 k
but maybe they will sell him for big bucks like edu in a few years

Dallas gets half of any transfer fee I think.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-18-2010, 03:50 PM
not anymore if im not mistaken

Sullivan
11-19-2010, 11:25 AM
I have never understood what are the protocols for graduations, Faud has been in the league two years longer that Stefen, so how does that work, a 2007 draft pick and a 2009 selection graduating at the same time.

You're not alone.... I still say it's arbitrary, but influenced by who is at risk... for instance, how does Houston's Danny Cruz remain a Gen A? or Stefan Frie last year?

I think it would be a good tough question for the Q&A on Sunday.... "What, why and where is the Gen A grad policy?

Have a read at this, good stats too.
http://usasoccer.blogspot.com/2009/09/graduating-from-generation-adidas.html

Roogsy
11-19-2010, 11:26 AM
:seeya:

Bye bye Ibby...

JonO
11-19-2010, 11:27 AM
It does seem somewhat arbitrary (and I think MLS did us a favour last year), but it's not difficult to see why it took Ibrahim longer to graduate from the program than Frei (hint: playing time is definitely a factor)

Ossington Mental Youth
11-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Ibby might stick around at a lesser salary, especially as we have a reserve league. I dont see him wanting to go elsewhere (as he came here cuz of family) and im sure hes not so deluded as to still expect to make 100k. I say sign him for league minimum and try him out for a year in the reserves. Kids only 18 and is still making u-21 nats...

Glenchen29
11-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Ibby can leave in my opinion regardless, he performs way under par and affraid of a challenge. The boys coming up from the Academy are far more hungry and talented. He's another Lombardo!

Time will only tell what happens with Frei, he is a franchise keeper!

Damien
11-21-2010, 11:19 PM
I know guys who have spoken personally to Ibby.

His desire to go to Europe is pretty strong. I'm betting he'll sign for some lower-end Euro league club and try to work his way up there.

TFC07
11-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Ibby can leave in my opinion regardless, he performs way under par and affraid of a challenge. The boys coming up from the Academy are far more hungry and talented. He's another Lombardo!

Agreed. :)

His desire to go to Europe is pretty strong. I'm betting he'll sign for some lower-end Euro league club and try to work his way up there.

Well, good luck to him.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-22-2010, 12:30 AM

That would be very interesting. As a fan of "lower-end" Euro leagues, I wonder where he could catch on? I think most Euro first divisions would be a big ask for him, I can't see him getting a game in Denmark of Belgium for example.

Damien
11-22-2010, 03:25 AM
oh, and by "lower end euro leagues" i meant "3rd division lichtenstein"