PDA

View Full Version : White chooses jamaica!

Darlofletch
11-17-2010, 12:26 PM
http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20101117/sports/sports4.html

After a tough, drawn-out wrestling match, with the decision of whether to play for the land of his birth or his adopted country, striker O'Brian White is set to make his senior team debut for Jamaica in tonight's friendly football inter-national here against Costa Rica.

Break out the angry two sticks.

my vote...

Meh!

Technorgasm
11-17-2010, 12:28 PM
better not be playing at BMO next year.
surplus to requirements.

oh. . and he is useless.. . . . bye bye OBW you draft dodging wank.

DOMIN8R
11-17-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm not sure if I should be mad or glad.

Roogsy
11-17-2010, 12:34 PM
:noidea:

I always thought this was the way he was leaning, he never made any direct statements in relation to his option with Canada anyways. Not to mention, he's pretty useless so I am won't be bothered with this and simply wish him the best. As long as he improves for TFC, that's all I care about. I doubt he will ever be a significant contributor on an international basis.

Fort York Redcoat
11-17-2010, 12:36 PM
So the ugly one night stand didn't call us after. How can we feel jilted?

So one less option for Canada. That's too bad.

BS1327
11-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Here's hoping Canada meets Jamaica in World Cup Qualifiers at BMO...
And Canada will be triumphant :) :canada:

JonO
11-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Not born here and never really suggested he would play for Canada... not sure why anyone would be too upset

Technorgasm
11-17-2010, 12:40 PM
JOno - Cuz he sucks ass chunks, and its another great chance to type it.

BS1327. . . We have already witnessed a Jamaica v Canada game at BMO. . . . .. . but its best for all of us to forget it ever happened. . .

JonO
11-17-2010, 12:42 PM
^ forget that what happened ;)

tfcleeds
11-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Never really leaned towards Canada as has been mentioned already, and based on his performances thus far, I'm not exactly quaking in my boots at the thought of him lining up against us.

phonzo
11-17-2010, 12:54 PM
he's bad...he plays for Jamaica now..which will make Jamaica bad...math works

Shway
11-17-2010, 12:58 PM
when i read this my reaction was....does Jamaica no how shit he is?
Dont expect to see him next year...escpecially if he isnt a GA.

the player we should really be concerned about loosing is David Hoilett

Oldtimer
11-17-2010, 12:58 PM
another one bites the dust.

Fortunately, unlike Hargreaves or JDGII, he's not actually very good. Depth for Canada, at best.

TFC07
11-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Meh...

Pachuco
11-17-2010, 01:02 PM
If White gets playing time with Jamaica, then maybe, just maybe we'll be able to beat a Concacaf team. Oh well, who cares.

nobodybeatsthewiz
11-17-2010, 01:12 PM
worst national anthem in history.

nobodybeatsthewiz
11-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Not born here and never really suggested he would play for Canada... not sure why anyone would be too upset

agreed. he was born there and he's no begovic (please break your pelvis) in that he didnt mislead us.......all the power to him.

maninb
11-17-2010, 01:16 PM
when i read this my reaction was....does Jamaica no how shit he is?
Dont expect to see him next year...escpecially if he isnt a GA.

the player we should really be concerned about loosing is David Hoilett

Yessiree...Hoilett looks to be diamond in the rough...speed, with some agressiveness...Harthas already been to Blackburn twice to speak with the lad...

maninb
11-17-2010, 01:17 PM
^ Oh yeah....and good riddance OBW...ya useless twat!!!

Belfast_Boy
11-17-2010, 01:18 PM
am i supposed to be upset that JA has a striker that doesn't score? or that we don't have a striker that doesn't score?

as for the politics I understand his choice.

ensco
11-17-2010, 01:19 PM
I recall that Big Bruva posted, before he was drafted, that OBW was a lock to play for Jamaica.

Roogsy
11-17-2010, 01:20 PM
^ I think you're right.

__wowza
11-17-2010, 01:54 PM
http://imc1.piccsy.com/14130-be8c3a-550-373.jpg

MartinUtd
11-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Money says Pat Onstad finishes his career with more goals for Jamaica than OBW.

sashavukelich
11-17-2010, 02:04 PM
^^^haha, I could care less of OBW moves on/plays for Jamaica, we can do a heck of a lot better for him for the money in MLS.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Good for White. He was born and raised in Jamaica (up until his teens?). Is he even a Canadian citizen?

I hope he fits in well for Jamaica. Who are they playing Half-Man-Half-Turtle planet? Otherwise, I think his lack of pace will be evident.

Razor
11-17-2010, 02:46 PM
he's shyte anyways. he better not be wearing a TFC kit next year.

Toronto Ruffrider
11-17-2010, 02:57 PM
This doesn't bother me one bit. We all expected White to choose Jamaica anyway. I'm not sure how this benefits Jamaica, though - they've got better options at that position.

jazzy
11-17-2010, 02:59 PM

Right.....this wonderful country we call home welcomes anyone with open arms......subsidy's, free room and board, free health care, education and the invitation to take part as a member of our society, by becoming a citizen and and what do get in return ..? zilch............ Sweet, for me thats shows NO character.........real citizens pay up, and contribute!

Roogsy
11-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Right.....this wonderful country we call home welcomes anyone with open arms......subsidy's, free room and board, free health care, education and the invitation to take part as a member of our society, by becoming a citizen and and what do get in return ..? zilch............ Sweet, for me thats shows NO character.........real citizens pay up, and contribute!

That's a much broader argument. If Obie came to Canada, worked, paid taxes, contributed to the economy, never got into trouble, donated time to charities and still decided to play for Jamaica, does that make him any less grateful to this country to someone who does play for the national team but avoids paying taxes, gets into criminal activities and never gives to anyone else but himself?

Someone's choice to play for Canada should come down to national pride, maybe Obie does not have it and I am disappointed (after all, what did Jamaica ever give him?) But I certainly disagree that it makes him any less of a model citizen to this country than someone else just because they chose to play for Canada.

JonO
11-17-2010, 04:12 PM
I don't even think he's a citizen (but I could be wrong). It's not his fault Canada allows permanent residents. And I don't see anything wrong with it either. If someone chooses to live/work here legally and pay taxes, why should they be forced to give up their heritage?

Also not sure about the subsidies and free room and board to which you refer. Lastly, health care and education are not free - they are paid by tax dollars. Someone who lives and works here is paying for the services he gets

spark
11-17-2010, 04:58 PM
simeon jackson > o'brian white

I think we've come out on top.

Brooker
11-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Ricardo Fuller is gonna be pissed playing alongside him.

Belfast_Boy
11-17-2010, 05:18 PM
I don't even think he's a citizen (but I could be wrong). It's not his fault Canada allows permanent residents. And I don't see anything wrong with it either. If someone chooses to live/work here legally and pay taxes, why should they be forced to give up their heritage?

Also not sure about the subsidies and free room and board to which you refer. Lastly, health care and education are not free - they are paid by tax dollars. Someone who lives and works here is paying for the services he gets

there's free shit???? where's that line start? I missed it!

zeelaw
11-17-2010, 05:28 PM
He was born there, played there as a youth... Good for him!

Belfast_Boy
11-17-2010, 05:38 PM
if I was good enough to play at that level and Ireland came calling I don't think I'd give it up for Canada.

Sullivan
11-17-2010, 05:48 PM
The fact that Stephen Hart openly acknowledges his interest in having White join the senior MNT program is very disturbing.

It illustrates Hart's shortcomings with regard to player evaluations.
It screams how desperate he is, and how difficult it is becoming for him to appeal to more "seasoned" and professionally trained players who continue to stop dead in their tracks due to his amateur coaching status.
It exposes his lack of professional experience and limitations at the international level.

Hart cannot be the man that will lead the way to Brazil in 2014!

With regard to White....
The fact that he's barely capable of playing at the MLS level is apparently lost on a few folks.
The fact that his football IQ is equal to that of a corner flag also appears to be overlooked.
He plays soft, and possess the first touch of a brick wall.
When he plays, he often disappears for extended periods, and when he's not playing soft, he looks lost, totally without ideas on what, where or who to look for.
His lifeline as a footballer is solely based on his Gen A contract, he's a depth player, attempting to develop at 24 yrs of age.
It ain't gonna happen - he's hit his peak.

And then the fact that he was born in Jamaica, and he's about as Canadian as jerk chicken and an ice cold red stripe, he really should remain with Jamaica and the Reggae Boyz.

Otherwise, a pleasant young man, best of luck to him.

Oldtimer
11-17-2010, 06:09 PM
I don't think you should fault Hart at all. There are so few who are both capable of and willing to play for Canada, that Hart is forced to look for crumbs, while other countries are dining on steak.

spark
11-17-2010, 07:16 PM
and how difficult it is becoming for him to appeal to more "seasoned" and professionally trained players who continue to stop dead in their tracks due to his amateur coaching status.

???

For example?

CretanBull
11-17-2010, 07:25 PM
worst national anthem in history.

I loved it! The never ending anthem with WOOOOs! in it.

Ricardo Fuller is gonna be pissed playing alongside him.

I can't see White playing with Fuller. Jamaica have at least 2-3 other strikers before they'd turn to White.

oxygenatedbrain
11-17-2010, 07:41 PM
White, as a graduated senior, never was a GA player...and if you can be just plain wrong about such an obvious fact, well, what else could you be Wrong about? Aw, heck, I know people just like to yap...

Zeke_Jones
11-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Wow so many people quick to hate on the man because he didnt choose canada.

Although he probably dreamed of playing for Jamaica when he was a poor boy growing up its not like that would mean anything when CANADA comes calling!!!!

To anyone still hating on him get over yourself

TOBOR !
11-17-2010, 08:36 PM
If White gets capped by Jamaica the federation ought to get about looking for a new manager to run the team.

Brooker
11-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Wow so many people quick to hate on the man because he didnt choose canada.

Although he probably dreamed of playing for Jamaica when he was a poor boy growing up its not like that would mean anything when CANADA comes calling!!!!

To anyone still hating on him get over yourself

nobody in here is mad at him for choosing Jamaica. the only dislike for him I see in here is based on the fact that he's a crap footballer. did you see anybody saying they wanted him on Canada in here?

EDIT: I stand correct.... 1 reply out of 40 said he took advantage of our country and should play for us.

jloome
11-17-2010, 08:52 PM
White, as a graduated senior, never was a GA player...and if you can be just plain wrong about such an obvious fact, well, what else could you be Wrong about? Aw, heck, I know people just like to yap...

He'd be wrong about the player peaking at 24. Most professional coaches will tell you pro strikers usually peak at about 27. With a few years starting in a capable tandem, he could be decent. His intelligence on the pitch is low, but his physical skills and finishing are high.

Derko
11-17-2010, 10:05 PM

I guess you are entitled to your opinion, that's why we live where we live. I'm not upset about OBW's choice, good for him.

CretanBull
11-17-2010, 10:17 PM
I have no hard feelings towards him at all but I didn't think that he was good enough for Canada but he might have had a shot with us down the line. Given that Jamaica has better depth at striker, it was an odd move in terms of career options but if Jamaica is where his heart is then all the power to him and best of luck.

Canary Canuck
11-17-2010, 11:11 PM
The fact that Stephen Hart openly acknowledges his interest in having White join the senior MNT program is very disturbing.

It illustrates Hart's shortcomings with regard to player evaluations.
It screams how desperate he is, and how difficult it is becoming for him to appeal to more "seasoned" and professionally trained players who continue to stop dead in their tracks due to his amateur coaching status.
It exposes his lack of professional experience and limitations at the international level.

Hart cannot be the man that will lead the way to Brazil in 2014!

With regard to White....
The fact that he's barely capable of playing at the MLS level is apparently lost on a few folks.
The fact that his football IQ is equal to that of a corner flag also appears to be overlooked.
He plays soft, and possess the first touch of a brick wall.
When he plays, he often disappears for extended periods, and when he's not playing soft, he looks lost, totally without ideas on what, where or who to look for.
His lifeline as a footballer is solely based on his Gen A contract, he's a depth player, attempting to develop at 24 yrs of age.
It ain't gonna happen - he's hit his peak.

And then the fact that he was born in Jamaica, and he's about as Canadian as jerk chicken and an ice cold red stripe, he really should remain with Jamaica and the Reggae Boyz.

Otherwise, a pleasant young man, best of luck to him.

You might want to read the whole article. The only time Hart actually invited him to anything was the B camp last January for off-season north american based players from NASL and MLS. The paper is making it into something it isn't based on that one thing. At the press conference before the Peru game Hart was asked about White and Hoillett. He talked at length about Hoillett but brushed off White as if to cryptically say "whatever, he stinks". Hart knows what we all know after actually getting the chance see White healthy for a full season.

Personally, I don't think White is going to be able to make any kind of a living playing the game much longer anyway. He is that bad.

ag futbol
11-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Money says Pat Onstad finishes his career with more goals for Jamaica than OBW.
Took me a minute, but lol.

Seriously I have no problem with this. He's not that good, played for jamaica first, nothing to see here....

scooterTFC
11-18-2010, 08:45 AM
How many players on Jamaica's national team have Canadian connections? I know that Andy Williams is from Toronto and White spent his teanage years in Toronto. It used to be that they relied heavily on English born/raised players with Jamaican hertitage for the nat team... in the last few years that seems to swinging towards American and some Canadians. Intertesting trend.

koryo
11-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Honestly, Canada hasn't lost anything.

Shakes McQueen
11-18-2010, 09:01 AM
That's a much broader argument. If Obie came to Canada, worked, paid taxes, contributed to the economy, never got into trouble, donated time to charities and still decided to play for Jamaica, does that make him any less grateful to this country to someone who does play for the national team but avoids paying taxes, gets into criminal activities and never gives to anyone else but himself?

Someone's choice to play for Canada should come down to national pride, maybe Obie does not have it and I am disappointed (after all, what did Jamaica ever give him?) But I certainly disagree that it makes him any less of a model citizen to this country than someone else just because they chose to play for Canada.

This is essentially my position.

Always disappointed when an athlete doesn't want to suit up for the country he grew up in - particularly when it comes to immigrants who leave their native land, and come here for the opportunity it presents.

I don't think it really reflects on him as a Canadian citizen though. We cherish our freedom, and that means the freedom to choose, even if people don't like the choices you might make.

And on a talent level, he's no loss to the CMNT - which is saying something.

- Scott

J .
11-18-2010, 10:55 AM
http://imc1.piccsy.com/14130-be8c3a-550-373.jpg

/end scene

69Chevy396
11-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Jamaica just dropped 30 points in the FIFA world ranking

Fushida
11-18-2010, 09:40 PM
hahahahahahahahahaahha

good riddance. now if only he chooses a club outside Canada too.

Glenchen29
11-20-2010, 03:03 PM
He wore yellow boots all year! Good for him and better for Canada!

Jamaicanadian
11-20-2010, 05:24 PM

:picard:

WOW...Just a bit over the top bro...Here's some context for you..
OB repped Jamaica at U15, U17, U20....He has known and played with the a lot of the current reggaeboyz since he was 13....BTW he loves Canada and Toronto. Oh and he does pay Canadian taxes and contributes off the field trust me......What a weird comment lol