PDA

View Full Version : Reserve League and Expanded rosters

David_Oliveira
11-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Return of the Reserve League and Expanded rosters (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/mls-expands-rosters-relaunches-reserve-division)

Teams can now sign an unlimited number of homegrown players per season while rosters sizes will expand from 26 to 30 players beginning in 2011.
Six spots of those roster spots will be reserved for players 24 and under, and they will not count against a team’s salary budget, which for 2011 will be $2.67 million per team.

Yeoman
11-16-2010, 05:20 PM
bad ass sickness
i assume the reserve matches will follow on after the games eh?
man, we've got everything up to the age of what again? under 16's for reserve csl?

David_Oliveira
11-16-2010, 05:28 PM
This is very good news for TFC and the CMNT!! For TFC, obviously getting to grow talent at home will help. For the CMNT it means more quality games for fringe players.

TFCRegina
11-16-2010, 06:04 PM
We need U-14 and U-12 Academy now to put us ahead of the game.

Yeoman
11-16-2010, 06:35 PM

one could dream in a few years my good man
flares at u-12? love it!

MartinUtd
11-16-2010, 08:37 PM
I was reading Ives' break down (http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/11/garber-state-of-the-league.html#more) of the state of MLS address and was intrigued by this revelation:

Garber stated that, pending approval from the MLS Board of Governors, MLS rosters will expand to 30 in 2011, up from 24 this season. The roster spots will be available for players under the age of 24 and will not count against a team's salary cap.
2011 will also mark the return of MLS' reserve division. According to the commissioner, teams will be able to place players from their academies, those on trial and players, who hold the latter six roster spots in the reserve league in hopes of developing their own prospects.

I really like how they've done this because it addresses the urgent need for an increased roster size and we can finally give games to those younger fringe players who are rotting away on the bench.

The question is, who on the team will (if they're around) will get the spots? Gabe Gala, Emanuel Gomez, Fuad Ibrahim, Amadou Sanyang, Doneil Henry and Nicholas Lindsay all qualify. Not sure exactly who is going to be back next year but they're the only ones on the current roster who will be under 24 come the 3rd week of March.

It would make the most sense to use a spot for Ibrahim since he's on a $100k and I can't imagine his GA status will last. The rest are all around $40k so it doesn't matter.

I'm also wondering if these rule changes open up the opportunity to cheat the system. For example we could offer Nana Attakora (22 years old, locally developed) a $250k contract, have him play one game in the reserves then get away with discounting his salary against the cap. The league would come down on such actions, but it might work for a season.

Stryker
11-16-2010, 08:42 PM
So whats to stop a team from getting 10 million worth of young studs?

Aside from the fact they've already been signed in Europe.

ArmenJBX
11-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Nothing.

Besides the fact they're in Europe!

SIGN TOMMY MULLER 2011!

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Good stuff. Maybe worth pointing out in 2006, it was basically the same system with 18 senior + 10 development spots. That situation was deemed not to be working, not sure how this is much different, other than the fact the development players are no longer on the comically low wages.

TFCRegina
11-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Good stuff. Maybe worth pointing out in 2006, it was basically the same system with 18 senior + 10 development spots. That situation was deemed not to be working, not sure how this is much different, other than the fact the development players are no longer on the comically low wages.

Actually, it was scrapped because it was expensive and the world was headed into a major recession. The league is bringing it back now.

Attakora is a fine example of the Reserve league developing players and I'm sure if I had more knowledge about the rest of the league, we could find some more examples.

MartinUtd
11-16-2010, 08:57 PM

What was seen as wrong with the old system? Clearly they didn't like where things were so they changed (back?) to system that promotes local development. Maybe the difference is that Garber finally realizes that the NCAA isn't cutting for quality prospects.

troy1982
11-16-2010, 09:03 PM
^^
A big part of the change is do to the new Adidas deal which grew substantially and most of the added money is going to player development.

Think Generation Adidas^2

werewolf
11-16-2010, 09:46 PM
SIGN TOMMY MULLER 2011!

You have mentioned this player before, I have never heard of him. What position does he play?

James17930
11-16-2010, 10:02 PM
This is all fantastic news. Great stuff from the league.

MartinUtd
11-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Take away the hyperbole and put in a Freddy Montero and those abuses of the rule look a little more likely.

DOMIN8R
11-16-2010, 10:32 PM
I read this on the MLS site this morning. We should be very happy with this news.

adammac
11-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Attakora is a fine example of the Reserve league developing players and I'm sure if I had more knowledge about the rest of the league, we could find some more examples.

Chris Wondolowski who was MLS Reserve League leading scorer in 2005 with Earthquakes and 2007 with Houston. Now won the golden boot this year in the MLS.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Actually, it was scrapped because it was expensive and the world was headed into a major recession. The league is bringing it back now.

Yes, but in terms of TFC, I've always felt that of the 10 development players, of whom Attakora was one, the team should have been able to develop at least two or three players. I felt they could have brought Nunez, Gala, and Attakora through.

Another point which I will be interested to see how the new reserve league addresses, is that one of the problem's with the the old setup was the accusation that there weren't enough players for teams to field competitive reserve squads. So this time they're trying it again with a smaller number of players?

I'll be interested to see how it works out and if they avoid past problems.

oxygenatedbrain
11-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Anyone on the TFC roster, on trial with TFC, or in the academy, is eligible to play in the reserve league.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-17-2010, 01:18 AM
Having academy players play reserve games is good move, bridges the gap between the academy and the first team. Last time around, TFC used CSL players to make up the numbers. It was always fun reading the match report than trying to figure who the players were. I think Jason De Thomasis is probably the leading goal scorer in TFC reserve history.

I think the new rules still allow for guest players, so long as they have a background in professional soccer. I know the concern is in the past some teams didn't take the reserve league to seriously, I think LA infamously resorted to using players' friends and families to make up numbers.

Fort York Redcoat
11-17-2010, 07:39 AM
flares at u-12? love it!

Think of the children!!

But really this is a great decision for us and I can't wait to see how many kids can challenge the roster. Giving kids a sniff of the pro level is one of the best ways to grow this league into the mainstream.

Oldtimer
11-17-2010, 08:36 AM
I'm also wondering if these rule changes open up the opportunity to cheat the system. For example we could offer Nana Attakora (22 years old, locally developed) a $250k contract, have him play one game in the reserves then get away with discounting his salary against the cap. The league would come down on such actions, but it might work for a season.

Take away the hyperbole and put in a Freddy Montero and those abuses of the rule look a little more likely.

Earlier reports (when this deal was being worked out) also stated that these players would all have to be on league minimum. I suspect that hasn't changed.

__wowza
11-17-2010, 10:08 AM
so does this mean we're keeping o'brian white?

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/MLS+2009+Super+Draft+vBZiJr-clIBl.jpg

Fort York Redcoat
11-17-2010, 10:28 AM
^ Any excuse and I think they'll keep him. Sorry wowza..

Ossington Mental Youth
11-17-2010, 10:56 AM
not at that price tag, i think youll see us thinking twice about that

MartinUtd
11-17-2010, 11:01 AM
OBW is too old for the reserve league. Its basically first team or nothing for him.

snowcrash
11-17-2010, 11:02 AM
flares at u-12? love it!

They have that now with CSL games up in Woodbridge.

oxygenatedbrain
11-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Reserve league is not u-24...

James17930
11-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Anyone on the TFC roster, on trial with TFC, or in the academy, is eligible to play in the reserve league.

That's also huge -- that guys can go from the Academy team to the Reserve team and back.

That way they can play more than just the ten reserve league games.

Shway
11-17-2010, 01:01 PM

ahead of who?

many mls teams have those age groups

Shway
11-17-2010, 01:03 PM
so Ashtone Morgan will be getting signed

James17930
11-17-2010, 08:55 PM
^Probably.

And probably also Amando Matheson.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-17-2010, 10:39 PM
havent been that impressed with matheson but now that we have a reserve league im hoping he will progress

ag futbol
11-17-2010, 11:36 PM
Pretty sure matheson is done with tfc, he's going to college. After all the talk, I wasn't overly impressed.

Physical, not too much else.

Red CB Toronto
11-17-2010, 11:44 PM
The reserve will be under 24 from my understanding with the exception of players coming off injury who need some minutes before being thrown back into the mix of things with the first team.

Gone are the days of the guest players ala those from the CSL who never had a chance of ever being signed. I remember one reserve game at BMO where the Red Bulls were in need of a few bodies and got them from the CSL.

oxygenatedbrain
11-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Re: Matheson

He's gone to prep school in the states...TFC will retain signing rights. What will be more interesting is whether TFC retains signing rights to players who graduated the academy before the new rules were put in place...McLeod, Whiteman, for example...

by the way I'm pretty sure you're wrong about the under 24 thing...the reserve team still has to function as a way to get games for the 19 squad players who don't get a start...Pretty sure Eye-viss or his minion researcher jumped the gun on that interpretation...have you seen anyone else comment on that?

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Re: Matheson

He's gone to prep school in the states...TFC will retain signing rights. What will be more interesting is whether TFC retains signing rights to players who graduated the academy before the new rules were put in place...McLeod, Whiteman, for example...

by the way I'm pretty sure you're wrong about the under 24 thing...the reserve team still has to function as a way to get games for the 19 squad players who don't get a start...Pretty sure Eye-viss or his minion researcher jumped the gun on that interpretation...have you seen anyone else comment on that?

I was wondering that too. I'm curious how broadly the term homegrown will be understood. Hypothetically, do the players have to come from the team's academy setup. What about players playing in the CSL for other teams, would they be considered homegrown?