PDA

View Full Version : Robbie Keane & TFC in contact: MLS Rumors

DangerRed
11-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Consider the source, but ...

http://www.mls-rumors.net/11873/2010/11/incoming-toronto-fc-in-contact-with-striker-robbie-keane/

I say great, do it. Limited playing time with Spurs, getting long in the tooth, but still plenty firepower. Perfect MLS DP.

MartinUtd
11-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Well he his friends with Robbo.. who know's maybe there's something to it.

Super
11-16-2010, 11:42 AM
That would be great, but I don't trust the source.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-16-2010, 11:53 AM
That would be great, but I don't trust the source.

cosign, he'd run things here for sure

CretanBull
11-16-2010, 11:59 AM
How likely is it that our team is talking to Spurs when we don't even have a GM? A move like this would seem to contradict the purpose of hiring Klinsmann's company.

Oblio2
11-16-2010, 12:03 PM
The fact that he could command a spot in most Premier League teams, would negate the thought of him "moving down 2 or 3 divisions"

Roogsy
11-16-2010, 12:04 PM
How likely is it that our team is talking to Spurs when we don't even have a GM? A move like this would seem to contradict the purpose of hiring Klinsmann's company.

:iamwithstupid:

torontocelt
11-16-2010, 12:36 PM
The fact that he could command a spot in most Premier League teams, would negate the thought of him "moving down 2 or 3 divisions"

I'm with you, I would seriously doubt he would come here rather than stay in the premiership. His form hasn't been great to be honest but I would think there would still be a whole heap of mid level / lower level premiership clubs who would want him.

19Barrett19
11-16-2010, 12:38 PM
I disagree I think we are going to have him playing for tfc really soon he's a great player and could cause a lot of damage in the mls

Nuvinho
11-16-2010, 12:38 PM
I saw this a few days ago on mls rumours, but figured if I posted it here - i'd get ripped apart...haha!!

19Barrett19
11-16-2010, 12:42 PM
I also think that keane has a 77-100 at the age of 30 that's better the jpa meaning that tfc would have the best striker in he mls

__wowza
11-16-2010, 12:44 PM
if this happens i swear to god i'll splooge in my pants.

Beach_Red
11-16-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm with you, I would seriously doubt he would come here rather than stay in the premiership. His form hasn't been great to be honest but I would think there would still be a whole heap of mid level / lower level premiership clubs who would want him.

Yeah, but what's the appeal playing for a mid-level team? Once a player is no longer at the top, anything is really possible. It really becomes a matter of money, doesn't it? TFC has been making big profits, pay him a million more than a mid-level team.

If, as CretanBull says, there's anyone associated with TFC who could authorize a singing.

jabbronies
11-16-2010, 12:50 PM

Not saying anything about the rumour with this comment, but according to what our iterm. GM has been saying, it's still business as usual. They are getting ready for the drafts, prepping for the pre season. etc etc.

Any move by the team could be under the guidance of Klinsmenn??

19Barrett19
11-16-2010, 12:52 PM
I say pay him 6,000,000 and he'll swim across the Atlantic ocean by the time the season starts

Oldtimer
11-16-2010, 01:04 PM
The source is crap, an anonymous email to a disreputable site.

That being said, it's not impossible, but unless Klinsmann has already determined the style of play, why would anyone be signed?

Waggy
11-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Klinnsman and TFC both said a new GM might not be in place for a few months. TFC can't just not do anything in that time. I'm sure they'll be in close contact with Klinnsman over any prospective moves, but some signings (and draft work) HAVE to be completed in the interim. Of course, if we just hired a GM in time to do both of those things, the problem would be solved. Maybe they're talking to Robbie about the vacant GM spot actually haha.

While I love Keane, I don't love him as our DP. Too old, a step slow, injury riddled. We say it every offseason but I'll take an up and coming South American over a big name European on a retirement tour any day. Easier said than done? Ya. But more likely to result in TFC improving? Oh ya.

torontocelt
11-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah, but what's the appeal playing for a mid-level team? Once a player is no longer at the top, anything is really possible. It really becomes a matter of money, doesn't it? TFC has been making big profits, pay him a million more than a mid-level team.

If, as CretanBull says, there's anyone associated with TFC who could authorize a singing.

Well he isn't that old and some of these mid level teams have some really good players that would be a pleasure to team with. The crowds at some of these clubs are still impressive and there is the passion and the history of some of the clubs which players respect and like. On top of that he would still get paid an absolute fortune, if he performs well then he could be a god to the support as one of their better players and he would have a realistic chance at european football. The biggest selling point though is the competition the premiership offers, it is way higher than the MLS. I would also question whether playing in North America would have the same appeal as playing in England to an Irishman? The Irish grow up watching the premiership, they dont have much of an interest in the MLS. I am not saying signing Keane is impossible but it isn't just a case of giving someone $1m more than a mid level premiership club, there is way more than money to just consider.

I also think that Robbie Keane would like to prove himself at another English club. His time at liverpool was not impressive and his return to Spurs had also not worked out. In between he had a decent run at celtic but I think Keane might want to try and prove his premiership doubters wrong by staying in the league albeit not with Spurs.

Again I am not saying it impossible him signing for TFC, I am just trying to point out the many benefits of signing with a mid level premiership club.

TFCRegina
11-16-2010, 01:44 PM
We need management before we need designated players.

deltox
11-16-2010, 01:44 PM
^ill say it then....its impossible

tfcmanu
11-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Here you go maybe Juventus????

http://www.footballtransferleague.co.uk/football_player.aspx?football_player=Robbie+Keane

deltox
11-16-2010, 01:51 PM
im sure he would rather go to TFC than Juventus:rolleyes:

Alixir
11-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Klinnsman and TFC both said a new GM might not be in place for a few months. TFC can't just not do anything in that time. And they probably won't...This is TFC we are talking about...the same team that does not have a full roster until around the 10 game mark of the season almost religiously.

19Barrett19
11-16-2010, 02:14 PM
We need to have a squad ready for training camp I strongly believe that we will this year for the first time if klinsman has anything to do with this .... Probably but not looking or asking players if they are interested how would you know what options you have , at least that's what I would do. Keane is probably one of many being approched. What do you think about that?

fiji_blue
11-16-2010, 02:32 PM
No new DP's! build a team that can make the playoffs.
Then get another DP.

sully
11-16-2010, 02:40 PM
As much as I'd like it, can't see this happening. Apart from anything else, Keane is very devoted to his national team. It wouldn't be in his best interests really to come to MLS with only a few more chances of reaching the Euros or WC.

jvanpeebles
11-16-2010, 02:44 PM
I would welcome him but I so liked the Ruud Van Nistelrooy (http://redpatchboys.ca/en/people/netherlands/1956/ruud-van-nistelrooy/national) rumour better. If he came I would even buy a ransome pack

Derko
11-16-2010, 02:44 PM
No DP,no thanks build a team with no DP's that can make the playoffs.
Then get a DP.

We are stuck with a DP for another year, are we not, lets hope JDG can actually contribute in 2011.

v00d00daddy
11-16-2010, 04:32 PM
No player signings until we get a GM and coach. We don't need more potential players that the new guy(s) don't want.

Step 1. Instill a philosophy and style
Step 2. Hire a GM and coach to implement said philosophy
Step 3. Make player acquisitions to fill holes in the squad...keeping the philosophy in mind.

If that means no signings anytime soon and a poor record again next year, so be it. As long as we've hit rock bottom and start the climb up.

The last thing I want is the club signing players for the hell of it because the fans demand it.

Install the right people to bring in the right people.

Keane would be a "cart before the horse" signing.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-16-2010, 04:48 PM
In general i agree with the above statement but Keane would be a really good signing and i wouldnt be mad to see him here even if we didnt have a gm/coach in place

Beach_Red
11-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Is it really possible to fill an MLS roster with any style of players, or is the choice of style determined more by the available payers?

Hockey teams first developed a clutch and grab style not because it was their preferred style, but with the players available to them it was the most effective.

I guess there is an almost endless supply of soccer players in the world so it isn't really the same.

rocker
11-16-2010, 05:01 PM
No player signings until we get a GM and coach. We don't need more potential players that the new guy(s) don't want.

Step 1. Instill a philosophy and style
Step 2. Hire a GM and coach to implement said philosophy
Step 3. Make player acquisitions to fill holes in the squad...keeping the philosophy in mind.

If that means no signings anytime soon and a poor record again next year, so be it. As long as we've hit rock bottom and start the climb up.

The last thing I want is the club signing players for the hell of it because the fans demand it.

Install the right people to bring in the right people.

Keane would be a "cart before the horse" signing.

yeah... Keane may work fine with any coach and GM we sign, but it's a risk. You'd hate to saddle a coach/GM with a player he didn't want and is stuck with.

The problem is, how long is this coach/GM search gonna take? Klinsy talked about his part being done "before the season starts." If that means the new management would come in close to the season, that's wayyy too late to wait to then decide on players. Again, we'd have a team that isn't ready for the start of the season. :(

ag futbol
11-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Given that we don't have a gm, this total bs.

Absolutely no way decisions like this are being made right now.

Derko
11-16-2010, 09:48 PM
After all it is only a rumor, and you know how rumors go!!

TFC/Everton
11-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Never in a million years do we sign Robbie Keane. Not a chance. Never ever ever ever ever ever.
We haven't hit rock bottom yet, rock bottom will be when the MLS cup has 13,000 fans at the game and its 1 degree outside.

ilikemusic
11-16-2010, 10:22 PM
It may be just a pipe dream, but still, Robbie Keane would be a PERFECT designated player for this team.

Yohan
11-16-2010, 10:28 PM
lol. some of you think keane is too old at 30?

ensco
11-16-2010, 10:48 PM
If Keane comes to MLS, he should go to the Revs. He would sell a lot of tickets there.

I agree with those who find the idea of this inconceivable.

TFCin110
11-16-2010, 10:52 PM
I think that signing Keane would be terrific but at the same time I think we should have a system, GM, coach in place before we sign anyone.

king dave
11-16-2010, 11:19 PM
^Keane will always be an Irishman in England.
KD.

Boondaddy
11-16-2010, 11:55 PM
If true at all, Christmas came early for me...just the sheer possibility is a present.

__wowza
11-17-2010, 10:04 AM
i'm sorry, mls rumours is probably one of the worst fucking sites i've ever read.
either breaking stories that've already been confirmed or throwing out mindless claims is not grounds for a proper site. $20 says i get a baseless claim up there.

sad though, i fucking love this man!!

Lucky Strike
11-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Has anyone made the requisite comment that Keane would "tear the league a new asshole"?

To get serious though, this would be too great to believe. Though we don't have a GM and a vision yet, can everyone truly say that they'd be willing to pass on him because of it? I'm not sure I could make that call.

Derko
11-17-2010, 11:05 AM
I think I will sign Robbie Keane to my TFC squad in FIFA X-Box, and see him tear the MLS a new asshole,lol

Mikey
11-17-2010, 01:14 PM
I heard a lot of similar comments when DeGuzman was on the radar........

maninb
11-17-2010, 01:18 PM
MLS Rumors did break the Mista story though...didn't they?

Oldtimer
11-17-2010, 01:20 PM
MLS Rumors did break the Mista story though...didn't they?

They also reported about a dozen or so signings for TFC that never happened.

Belfast_Boy
11-17-2010, 01:24 PM
can't see it.
Robbie can still generate interest in EPL plus a few other leagues. it would be a huge shocker if he came to MLS now. and an even bigger one if he landed in T.O.

deltox
11-17-2010, 01:27 PM
im sorry but why SHOULD he go to the revs? just cause they play near Boston?

so only Latino players should play in LA or texas?

Belfast_Boy
11-17-2010, 01:52 PM

i missed the Rev's post. he's Irish so he goes to Boston (or near Boston)? was Milan the Italian Irish city?

__wowza
11-17-2010, 01:59 PM
sorry. why doesn't boston have a team yet?
i get that the revs and in close proximity, but fuck we need goons in this league.

ensco
11-17-2010, 03:09 PM

He's worth more to the Revs than to TFC, because he'd sell more tickets in Boston than in Toronto. Is that really controversial?

And yes, I'd also say that you'd be better off putting Latino stars near their communities. Houston has the biggest Honduran community in the US, it's stupid that Guevara never played there.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-17-2010, 03:35 PM
I know that this has been suggested on this board in the past. I'm sure someone claimed he has family in the area. It's sounds a little dubious, but I think it could be safely filed under "stranger things".

mastermixer
11-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Why is this even on the radar... someone sent an email to a crappy website?

DangerRed
11-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Speaking of potential signings, Hejduk and Schelotto are both gone from the Crew, looks like.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/smorgasborg-crew-send-fans-message

Not saying by any means we should sign them, but imagine if one of them suited up for TFC.. oh, the outrage..

__wowza
11-17-2010, 04:26 PM
^ GBS is 38 years old. aka: way too old.
i say we sign him and put him on loan to the rochester rhinos.

DangerRed
11-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Actually, here's the complete list of everyone the Crew's not optioned for 2011:

Guillermo Barros Schelotto, Jason Garey, Leandre Griffit, Frankie Hejduk, Duncan Oughton and Gino Padula.

And GBS had 9 goals and 8 assists last season. Just sayin'.

Pigfynn
11-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Fuck GBS with a hot poker and yes, I am saying that I would NEVER support him as TFC player he is the worst of that rancid yellow filth.

Players like him are the biggest reason why mainstream North American sports fans can't stomach the world's game. Diving, crying, scheming little bitch.

:rant:

ensco
11-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Actually, here's the complete list of everyone the Crew's not optioned for 2011:

Guillermo Barros Schelotto, Jason Garey, Leandre Griffit, Frankie Hejduk, Duncan Oughton and Gino Padula.

It's amazing how, every year, most of the teams in MLS turn over a lot of the roster.

v00d00daddy
11-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Fuck GBS with a hot poker and yes, I am saying that I would NEVER support him as TFC player he is the worst of that rancid yellow filth.

Players like him are the biggest reason why mainstream North American sports fans can't stomach the world's game. Diving, crying, scheming little bitch.

:rant:
While I agree about the whole diving, crying little bitch thing...if he was with TFC he would instantly become the most skilled player we have.

He has more touch on the ball and vision on the field than anyone we have....and it's not even close.

Just saying. :)

Walnut
11-17-2010, 09:09 PM
LOL - Robbie Keane @ TFC.

Daniel Levy would eat MLSE alive - if there is one thing he knows how to do, is get his pound of flesh!

Yohan
11-17-2010, 10:58 PM
It's amazing how, every year, most of the teams in MLS turn over a lot of the roster.well, Columbus was turning into AC Milan of MLS. Most of the guys on that released list is like 35 and over

Columbus wasn't getting results in playoffs in past two years so they figured they need an overhaul

David_Oliveira
11-17-2010, 11:30 PM

Good for them! At least they have the balls to pull something like this off, which many teams seem to not have (ie. Us, Revs)