PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City Sporting Club

kodiakTFC
11-15-2010, 12:16 AM
The team said there will be a big Kansas City soccer announcement on Wednesday and everyone knows this the re-branding everyone has been hearing the rumors about. Rumors have swirled around for months that its Sporting Kansas because their ownership group, OnGoal, wants A. to be more global B. own more than just one sporting entity. It appears as if the domains for the teams have been purchased and then this leaked..

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-srgPQfjcfs/TOCsOslU19I/AAAAAAAAAkg/C3BzDvAdVl4/s320/sportingkclogo.bmp

new image: http://www.mls-rumors.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/sportingkclogo.png

The blog that obtained claims its from a credible source within the team but I still claim it is bs because as the blog even mentions, it looks exactly like the Eastern Conference logo...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b1/Eastmls.png

We'll have to wait and see until Wednesday I suppose.

TFCRegina
11-15-2010, 12:18 AM
It's history. Keep the Wizards.

kodiakTFC
11-15-2010, 12:22 AM

I disagree with this logic because sometimes team name changes are desperately needed and in this instance I believe it is. Not many Wizards fan even like the name, its all around terrible and cheesy.

Toronto Arenas -> St. Pats -> Maple Leafs
New York Highlanders ->Yankees
Newton Heath LYR Football Club -> Manchester United
Wiz -> Wizards -> Sporting ?

Redcoe15
11-15-2010, 01:35 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-srgPQfjcfs/TOCsOslU19I/AAAAAAAAAkg/C3BzDvAdVl4/s320/sportingkclogo.bmp

:picard: :facepalm: :picard: :facepalm: :picard: :facepalm: :picard: :facepalm: :picard: :facepalm: :picard: :facepalm: :picard: :facepalm:

There are not enough facepalms out there to describe this fuckwad of a decision.

Oldtimer
11-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Both names are stupid, although the Wizards does at least have some sort of link to KC (The Wizard of Oz).

FWIW, the team was named "the Wiz" by a marketing person at Adidas. This individual named all of the original teams, which is why they tended to suck so badly (San Jose Clash, Dallas Burn stick out).

Yeoman
11-15-2010, 06:48 AM
wait, there's logos for the confrences in the mls?
huh, interesting
though i personally like names like that. too bad that they couldn't back it up.

Cashcleaner
11-15-2010, 07:53 AM
As much as people like to get on the back of North American sports clubs for having odd names, I'd much rather prefer an original name and identity over something ripped off from elsewhere. I would take KC Wizards in an instant over Sporting KC or whatever they want to call it.

Also on notice: Real Salt Lake and FC Dallas.

Fort York Redcoat
11-15-2010, 08:27 AM

It will be history and not soon enough. Sporting is an improvement but still not as inclusive as it could be. I'm sure there will be some who are outraged.

rocker
11-15-2010, 08:29 AM
i like Sporting more than Wizards, but not by much.

Wizards is lame... it's soccer mom lame. The kinda name some marketing person probably thought would attract all the kiddies to the stadium.

It's only acceptable to people now because people have gotten used to it.

It's like the Impact. Impact is an awful name. But people in Montreal have gotten used to it, so they'll probably keep it for MLS.

Cashcleaner
11-15-2010, 09:09 AM
^ But what's so good about Sporting Kansas City? What is it about that name that you like? I look at it and analyze it in my mind, but all I get is nonsense. The grammar is all wrong, but obviously it's intentional because they are trying to emulate the famous Portuguese club.

I agree that Wizards is lame, but isn't that still better than sharing an identity with an current club that uses another language entirely?

__wowza
11-15-2010, 09:26 AM
As much as people like to get on the back of North American sports clubs for having odd names, I'd much rather prefer an original name and identity over something ripped off from elsewhere. I would take KC Wizards in an instant over Sporting KC or whatever they want to call it.

+1(00).
there's something to be said about being north american and naming your teams to have them stand out, but there's also something to be said about consistency.

rocker
11-15-2010, 09:26 AM
^ But what's so good about Sporting Kansas City? What is it about that name that you like? I look at it and analyze it in my mind, but all I get is nonsense. The grammar is all wrong, but obviously it's intentional because they are trying to emulate the famous Portuguese club.

I agree that Wizards is lame, but isn't that still better than sharing an identity with an current club that uses another language entirely?

I didn't say I liked Sporting much. I said I liked it better than Wizards because Wizards is one of the lamest names you could ever pick. If you're trying to internationalize your brand, I don't think Wizards is a good name for that. Wizards is kiddie, soccer mom stuff. I thought people on here wanted MLS to get away from that?

Most Americans won't even know there's a Portuguese club called Sporting, so I don't think they have to worry about any identity-sharing issue among fans.

I would have gone simply with Kansas City FC though. Then they'd be playing on all the "City" teams in England without being a ripoff, since their city really is called Kansas City.

__wowza
11-15-2010, 09:27 AM
http://www.google.ca/search?q=kansas+city+sporting+club&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=36f&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&q=kansas+city+wizards+rebranding&aq=0&aqi=g2g-o1&aql=&oq=kansas+city+wizards+rebr&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=9c06a1e43890a4aa

plenty more reading here.

Cashcleaner
11-15-2010, 09:36 AM
I didn't say I liked Sporting much. I said I liked it better than Wizards because Wizards is one of the lamest names you could ever pick. If you're trying to internationalize your brand, I don't think Wizards is a good name for that. Wizards is kiddie, soccer mom stuff. I thought people on here wanted MLS to get away from that?

Most Americans won't even know there's a Portuguese club called Sporting, so I don't think they have to worry about any identity-sharing issue among fans.

I would have gone simply with Kansas City FC though. Then they'd be playing on all the "City" teams in England without being a ripoff, since their city really is called Kansas City.

Sorry, I should have clarified that the question regarding the Sporting name wasn't so much directed at you, but rather a general musing on my part.

You're right in that Wizards isn't likely a brand that is going to achieve international recognition (or perhaps even national recognition for that matter), so a re-branding does make a lot of sense.

Actually, I like KCFC as well. They might run into a few problems with the good folks at YUM! Foods Inc., but it would certainly be a step in the right direction for the club's identity.

James17930
11-15-2010, 09:41 AM

I agree with you in principle, but not when it's as bad a name as Wizards.

Whitecaps? Yes.

Timbers? Yes.

Wizards? No.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-15-2010, 09:44 AM
my only issue with Sporting is that its not a sports club, its a soccer club, as a result its a bit of a misnomer. thats not to mention the fact they are likely to alienate any portuguese fans (although im sure there are few in kansas) with this name.

hate wizards just as well. when i first heard the name i had to have the reference explained to me (im aware of the wizard of Oz but failed to see the link to kansas immediately).

either way, some seriously poor choices here.

Beach_Red
11-15-2010, 09:58 AM
my only issue with Sporting is that its not a sports club, its a soccer club, as a result its a bit of a misnomer. thats not to mention the fact they are likely to alienate any portuguese fans (although im sure there are few in kansas) with this name.

hate wizards just as well. when i first heard the name i had to have the reference explained to me (im aware of the wizard of Oz but failed to see the link to kansas immediately).

either way, some seriously poor choices here.

Well, it's actually a franchise, not even a club, but I can understand why they don't want to lead with that.

billyfly
11-15-2010, 10:01 AM
There is ONLY ONE TRUE SPORTING

http://seeportugal.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/sporting_clube_de_portugal.png

TOBOR !
11-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Sparta KC would be better, though no less disingenuous.

tfcleeds
11-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Not that Wizards was such a great name, but it's sad to see yet another club adopt a European type name that makes absolutely no sense. Why don't we just rename the rest of the MLS teams that don't have this? Borussia Columbus, Lokomotiv San Jose, Atletico Los Angeles, etc. (Actually, Borussia Columbus makes a bit of sense, given the strong German cultural influence that still exists today there).

sully
11-15-2010, 10:16 AM
just call it Kansas City

Cashcleaner
11-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Not that Wizards was such a great name, but it's sad to see yet another club adopt a European type name that makes absolutely no sense. Why don't we just rename the rest of the MLS teams that don't have this? Borussia Columbus, Lokomotiv San Jose, Atletico Los Angeles, etc. (Actually, Borussia Columbus makes a bit of sense, given the strong German cultural influence that still exists today there).

What did we tell you about giving them ideas? :nonod:

prizby
11-15-2010, 10:25 AM
I disagree with this logic because sometimes team name changes are desperately needed and in this instance I believe it is. Not many Wizards fan even like the name, its all around terrible and cheesy.

Toronto Arenas -> St. Pats -> Maple Laughs
New York Highlanders ->Yankees
Newton Heath LYR Football Club -> Manchester United
Wiz -> Wizards -> Sporting ?

fixed

prizby
11-15-2010, 10:26 AM

and the piss colour jerseys

Pookie
11-15-2010, 11:32 AM
I like it.

Reminds me of Dynamo or some of the more storied Russian "Athletic Clubs". Speaking of which, North America has a few of those already.

In baseball, the Oakland A's are a short form for "Athletic Club." Which, for the baseball buffs, came to being after the team moved from Kansas City where it was named the Kansas City Athletics.

Good on them. "Wizards" is not as prestigious as "Sporting Club"

deltox
11-15-2010, 11:49 AM
why not Kansas city United?

its not like there has to be only 1.

Globetrotter
11-15-2010, 11:52 AM

it looks exactly like the Eastern Conference logo...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b1/Eastmls.png

I think you have a different interpretation of the word "exactly" than I do.

tfcleeds
11-15-2010, 11:56 AM
I like it.

Reminds me of Dynamo or some of the more storied Russian "Athletic Clubs". Speaking of which, North America has a few of those already.

In baseball, the Oakland A's are a short form for "Athletic Club." Which, for the baseball buffs, came to being after the team moved from Kansas City where it was named the Kansas City Athletics.

Good on them. "Wizards" is not as prestigious as "Sporting Club"

I just don't think Sporting Club Kansas City is an appropriate name, and makes about as much sense as Real Salt Lake. Sporting Clube de Portugal (which I presume is the inspiration for the new name) is an actual "sporting club". Whereas Kansas City is just a football club. I don't think they will have other teams in basketball, volleyball, or rowing. I agree that the Wizards name sucks, but they could have found a more appropriate name, like KC United, Kansas City SC, or some such thing. I do agree though, that "KC Athletic" would be a nod to their history and former baseball team.

Chewy Unikronik
11-15-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm quite partial to Kansas City '96 :)

Pookie
11-15-2010, 12:47 PM
I just don't think Sporting Club Kansas City is an appropriate name, and makes about as much sense as Real Salt Lake. Sporting Clube de Portugal (which I presume is the inspiration for the new name) is an actual "sporting club". Whereas Kansas City is just a football club. I don't think they will have other teams in basketball, volleyball, or rowing. I agree that the Wizards name sucks, but they could have found a more appropriate name, like KC United, Kansas City SC, or some such thing. I do agree though, that "KC Athletic" would be a nod to their history and former baseball team.

Perhaps but who knows what their future plans might involve.

Maybe this name change is the first step in a long range strategy to acquire a few other "properties." Of course, we wouldn't recognize a longer term strategy when we see it here in MLSE country.

billyfly
11-15-2010, 01:21 PM
fixed

Did you come up with that all by yourself?

Leave my Leafs outta this pls.

Whoop
11-15-2010, 01:24 PM
I don't think the Kansas City Wizards would want to emulate Sporting CP of all teams.

pfft.

billyfly
11-15-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't think the Kansas City Wizards would want to emulate Sporting CP of all teams.

pfft.

Yes, why would they want to emulate one of the most successful Sporting Clubs in all of Europe?

Eat sh*t Benfiquista.

TOBOR !
11-15-2010, 01:41 PM
just call it Kansas City

winner.

kodiakTFC
11-15-2010, 01:43 PM

I said in the original post that their ownership OnGoal wants to own more sporting entities and its assumed it would be under this Sporting banner.

tfcleeds
11-15-2010, 01:52 PM
I said in the original post that their ownership OnGoal wants to own more sporting entities and its assumed it would be under this Sporting banner.

Indeed you did - missed that.

TOBOR !
11-15-2010, 02:33 PM
AC Kansas City would make a bit more sense, then, giving the two previous posts to this one.

Whoop
11-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Yes, why would they want to emulate one of the most successful Sporting Clubs in all of Europe?

Eat sh*t Benfiquista.

Testy, testy.

Because 99.9% of the people in Kansas City have never heard of it and 85% of American football fans haven't either.

*Not saying they've heard of other clubs either, just I don't think SCP is the inspiration here.

They should go with Athletic Club of Kansas City - AC KC - so to speak to kind of tie in with the Kansas City Athletics. Don't think KC AC would work as well.

Thrillos
11-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Just and FYI, I think some people on here who have posted in this thread are unaware of the term "sporting" not only referring to SCP. There are several other clubs in europe with sporting, which is solely there to designate them as a club with intentions to the "sporting" nature of being a club.

In fact the only term that is a complete rip-off would be RSL, as Real Madrid were designated the term of "Real" by the King of Spain because of their success in the Champions League. So I am fine, in fact, want all MLS teams still using their stupid gimmick name and going to a more simple "designation", because when it comes down to it, as a fan you should be supporting your city not the animal or whatever your team is named after......

Chewy Unikronik
11-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Testify!

Just and FYI, I think some people on here who have posted in this thread are unaware of the term "sporting" not only referring to SCP. There are several other clubs in europe with sporting, which is solely there to designate them as a club with intentions to the "sporting" nature of being a club.

In fact the only term that is a complete rip-off would be RSL, as Real Madrid were designated the term of "Real" by the King of Spain because of their success in the Champions League. So I am fine, in fact, want all MLS teams still using their stupid gimmick name and going to a more simple "designation", because when it comes down to it, as a fan you should be supporting your city not the animal or whatever your team is named after......

[NBF]
11-15-2010, 04:58 PM
First Thought: hahahahahahaha@ Sporting KC............My guess is that they want to build credibility as well as association with Sporting CP.

This is the second thought came to mind:

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/1660/img08221.jpg

billyfly
11-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Testy, testy.

Because 99.9% of the people in Kansas City have never heard of it and 85% of American football fans haven't either.

*Not saying they've heard of other clubs either, just I don't think SCP is the inspiration here.

They should go with Athletic Club of Kansas City - AC KC - so to speak to kind of tie in with the Kansas City Athletics. Don't think KC AC would work as well.

AC KC sounds better to me as well. I don't think they are using SCP as the inspiration either.

kodiakTFC
11-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Kansas City Blues FC is a good one.

Heart of Stone
11-15-2010, 06:46 PM
I think it is a good change... legitimizes the league... Toronto F.C.... Sporting Club Kansas City... both good names...

nascarguy
11-15-2010, 07:26 PM
both names suck

rocktml
11-15-2010, 07:32 PM
I love it, whats wrong with you guys

Brooker
11-15-2010, 08:42 PM
both names suck

this

Heart of Stone
11-15-2010, 08:55 PM
The new soccer specific stadium in KC will be open when Toronto visits next summer...

billyfly
11-15-2010, 09:20 PM

I know that Sporting Gijon etc. BUT, SCP is the best and I don't care what Whoopee says.

prizby
11-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Did you come up with that all by yourself?

Leave my Leafs outta this pls.

i have been refering to them like that for a couple of years...

Maple Laughs and Craptors

and don't worry...they are both my teams too; I couldn't support a non-Toronto team

billyfly
11-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Crapids have exclusive rights to Crap in their name.

TFCRegina
11-15-2010, 11:21 PM

Actually, Sporting Gijon, I believe, is another Real. Real Sporting de Gijon.

But let's be realistic. It's not like DCU picked their name because they wanted to associate themselves with Hereford or Oxford. TFC, one could argue, basically copied Liverpool FC (red and white, and we're Toronto FC). RSL copied Madrid.

Everyone does it in this league. But I like the Wizards as a name over Sporting Club.

Cashcleaner
11-16-2010, 08:17 AM

But let's be realistic. It's not like DCU picked their name because they wanted to associate themselves with Hereford or Oxford. TFC, one could argue, basically copied Liverpool FC (red and white, and we're Toronto FC). RSL copied Madrid.

Everyone does it in this league. But I like the Wizards as a name over Sporting Club.

But DC United is still more relevant than a team like, say, REAL Salt Lake. The "united" moniker is often used to denote, well, UNITY - typically within the community. As in: "DC united for football" or what have you. With Real Salt Lake however, where is the relevancy? There are few Spaniards in Utah and no regal attachment to anything. It's obvious they were banking on a gimmick when they came up with that name, but I think DCU is in the clear on this one.

As for Toronto, I don't think anyone can reasonable equate TFC to anyone else. There's so many other clubs in the world which are simply named after the city they are in, and the red-and-white colour scheme is fairly common. I'm pretty sure our colour scheme has more to do with the Canadian flag and random artistic licence than anything else.

tfcleeds
11-16-2010, 08:30 AM
But DC United is still more relevant than a team like, say, REAL Salt Lake. The "united" moniker is often used to denote, well, UNITY - typically within the community. As in: "DC united for football" or what have you. With Real Salt Lake however, where is the relevancy? There are few Spaniards in Utah and no regal attachment to anything. It's obvious they were banking on a gimmick when they came up with that name, but I think DCU is in the clear on this one.

As for Toronto, I don't think anyone can reasonable equate TFC to anyone else. There's so many other clubs in the world which are simply named after the city they are in, and the red-and-white colour scheme is fairly common. I'm pretty sure our colour scheme has more to do with the Canadian flag and random artistic licence than anything else.

100% agreed.

koryo
11-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Wiz/Wizards = stupid
Sporting = pretentious

Not much to choose between them. But if this is the choice, go with Sporting. A bit less hoaky and not entirely irrelevant.

Fort York Redcoat
11-16-2010, 08:46 AM
Okay folks this is all a bit silly if we don't take into account our true bias here.

This is really a vote on NA style names or foreign style names. Most of us here are used to hearing names from elsewhere in the world and are reminded of a better quality of football. If not, then at least a different team with far more history.

Be it FC, Sparta, SC, Real, or United it only legitimizes because its familiar. I for one agree with it only if there's a reflection of a majority of people it reflects.
FC and English style names work because all of us here use English as a first language but if there's a large population of support in any given area of a certain background it makes sense to go with a name that reflects it.

SC Kansas City is an obvious Portuguese reference that would seem to me more at home here in Toronto or New England (touch Ironic, that last one) but all these names, ALL of them will exclude a group of people anyway.

I'm big enough to admit my bias to Toronto FC over InterToronto and probably would have thought less of my local team name if it had a NA nickname.

Unless it had been The Toronto Redcoats.:lol:

koryo
11-16-2010, 08:49 AM
I didn't need to admit my bias Pete, it's self-evident :D

Azerban
11-16-2010, 10:12 AM
they won a supporters shield, a mls cup, and an open cup as the wizards, got to the semi-finals of a champions cup, were the wizards for 15 years, how are you supposed to have any history if you flop around

its a dumb name but it's their dumb name

Cashcleaner
11-16-2010, 10:21 AM
^ A truly excellent point, to be honest.

rocker
11-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Wiz/Wizards = stupid
Sporting = pretentious

Not much to choose between them. But if this is the choice, go with Sporting. A bit less hoaky and not entirely irrelevant.

+1. exactly the point I was making earlier. but said better that i did. :)

Thrillos
11-16-2010, 11:05 AM
they won a supporters shield, a mls cup, and an open cup as the wizards, got to the semi-finals of a champions cup, were the wizards for 15 years, how are you supposed to have any history if you flop around

I agree with you on the fact that their history is pretty good for MLS, but I think your missing the point that they won those titles as "Kansas City." Like I said earlier I think people are missing the point that you support your city (or in the case of London, your suburb of London ie. Chelsea, Tottenham, Fulham....). You don't support the Wizard of Oz, because that is just retarded.

Which is why I am fine with Sporting, Athletic, FC or whatever else they choose to designate them as a Team/Club of the city of Kansas City.

TOBOR !
11-16-2010, 11:21 AM
simple - rebrand as AC Kansas City, incorporate a 'wizard' into the club logo and forever be known by your nickname - 'the Wizards'.

BTW, this copying of existing club names and kits of clubs with an existing history is nothing new - it's been going on since the game first left the British Isles more than a hundred years ago (but you still have to take issue with RSL, though).

Oldtimer
11-16-2010, 11:27 AM

The Maple Leafs count the St. Pat's Stanley Cup wins amongst their total wins.

tfcleeds
11-16-2010, 11:28 AM
simple - rebrand as AC Kansas City, incorporate a 'wizard' into the club logo and forever be known by your nickname - 'the Wizards'.

BTW, this copying of existing club names and kits of clubs with an existing history is nothing new - it's been going on since the game first left the British Isles more than a hundred years ago (but you still have to take issue with RSL, though).

True...look at South American sides. You have a Liverpool in the Uruguayan league, Corinthians (named after a team that toured there in the early 1900s) in Brazil, Everton in the Chilean league, etc. etc.

If KC feels the need to rebrand at this point, so be it. I just don't care for this particular name, but whatever. It's not like I'll be having sleepless nights over it - they aren't my club.

Cashcleaner
11-16-2010, 11:46 AM
According to multiple sources, Sporting KC is the new name for the club.

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-kansas-city-wizards-sporting-kc-new-name-111510,0,3363206.story

http://kcwfans.com/articles/thoughts-on-the-new-wizards-logo/

http://www.mls-rumors.net/11863/2010/11/report-kansas-city-wizards-to-re-brand-to-sporting-kansas-city-hard-evidence-uncovered/

All I can say is; ugh.

TOBOR !
11-16-2010, 12:09 PM
How do you think Juventus supporters feel about their kit being modelled on Notts County ?

tfcleeds
11-16-2010, 12:21 PM
^Actually, it was the other way around. Juventus' original kit was pink (they still have this as an away jersey) but adopted the black/white kit of Notts County.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-16-2010, 12:25 PM
clearly not enough teams with blue and white in their colors.

Thrillos
11-16-2010, 12:30 PM

Probably the best option, very widely used by many clubs around the world

__wowza
11-16-2010, 12:49 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football_club_names
new game, create a better name for the club!!

i suggest.. kansas city wednesday :D

TOBOR !
11-16-2010, 01:03 PM
^Actually, it was the other way around. Juventus' original kit was pink (they still have this as an away jersey) but adopted the black/white kit of Notts County.

I thought the 'other way around' meant something else.

I'd also wager that the 'pink' jersey was due to an attempt at 'red', but either insufficient or poor quality dye was used for colouring.

__wowza
11-16-2010, 03:49 PM
http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-wizards-new-name-poll,0,5555899,post.poll
it's interesting seeing the split amongst KC supporters.

Roogsy
11-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Much better than the Wizards, I don't see anything wrong with this rebranding. It's not "European", it's a global soccer custom. If that were the case, we should be just as upset that our club is called "Toronto FC".

nascarguy
11-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Much better than the Wizards, I don't see anything wrong with this rebranding. It's not "European", it's a global soccer custom. If that were the case, we should be just as upset that our club is called "Toronto FC".
oh hell yeah it is much better then the wiz.

Redcoe15
11-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Wiz/Wizards = stupid
Sporting = pretentious
Hear hear. I usually don't mind if MLS teams use traditional soccer names. As long as they make sense.

Toronto FC makes sense.

Philadelphia Union makes sense.

Sporting Kansas City? You gotta fucking be kidding me! :prrr:

Whoop
11-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Should have just gone Kansas Football Club.

Azerban
11-16-2010, 05:34 PM
http://tinypic.com/ivbfav.jpg

what the hell

J .
11-16-2010, 05:58 PM
I like the Wizards better.

rocker
11-16-2010, 06:02 PM
http://www.decal-orations.com/images/graphics/k/ka/kansas_city_wiz.png

Brooker
11-16-2010, 06:17 PM
I'll always call them The Wizards. This sounds like another Real Salt Lake to me. Well, maybe not as bad but still sounds silly.

ArmenJBX
11-16-2010, 06:20 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semen_Padang

LAWL.

zeelaw
11-16-2010, 06:27 PM
thumbs up to getting rid of wizards, thumbs down for copying the many others

Chevy
11-16-2010, 06:30 PM

Yep. Juventus has been around since 1897, and even they had to steal their kits from Notts County.

Redcoe15
11-17-2010, 02:34 AM
Yep. Juventus has been around since 1897, and even they had to steal their kits from Notts County.
But not too much. Rather than call themselves the Magpies, Juventus called themselves the Zebras.

bman27
11-17-2010, 12:13 PM

But let's be realistic. It's not like DCU picked their name because they wanted to associate themselves with Hereford or Oxford.

who doesn't want to associate themselves with Leeds! :D mot!

Wagner
11-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Kansas City MoJos.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/10/article-1161003-03D21634000005DC-332_224x350.jpg

Roogsy
11-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Kansas City MoJos.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/10/article-1161003-03D21634000005DC-332_224x350.jpg

:lol:

ochos
11-17-2010, 01:27 PM

I think RSL need to change to Salt Lake City FC..

__wowza
11-17-2010, 01:57 PM
FC salt lake city FC

or perhaps

Their Excellency (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excellency), Presidents for Life (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_for_Life), Field Marshal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_Marshal_%28Uganda%29) Al Hadji (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajji) Doctor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Laws)[B] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idi_Amin#endnote_Doctorate) Real Salt Lake, VC,[C] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idi_Amin#endnote_VC) DSO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distinguished_Service_Order), MC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Cross), Conqueror of the British Empire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Empire) in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular".[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idi_Amin#cite_note-guardian_obit-7)

nascarguy
11-17-2010, 02:10 PM
the more I see SC kansas the more I'm starting to like it! I would like all MLS teams to start to use traditional soccer names.

nascarguy
11-17-2010, 02:12 PM
I think RSL need to change to Salt Lake City FC..
nope it's too long and the name that the have is a good all ready

kodiakTFC
11-17-2010, 02:40 PM
nope it's too long and the name that the have is a good all ready

Plus they actually have ties to Real Madrid now.

kodiakTFC
11-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Its official. The logo is correct and the name is officially "Sporting Kansas City."

SQUIRREL
11-17-2010, 07:37 PM
It's on the MLS website....I like it "Sporting KC"

jimiv
11-17-2010, 07:57 PM
A fews points I found interesting from the news conference - fans will be known as members, members will not get charged for tickets to away games, and they should put a bronze statue of Preki up in front of the new stadium....

Detroit_TFC
11-17-2010, 08:34 PM
I thought I would be outraged about this, but I'm not. Maybe the new(ish) owners did a cost-benefit analysis and determined that the old brand just didn't have much built-up value.

HOWEVER
Notice to MLSE: if you do this with TFC I will rip off your head and piss down your throat. That is all.

mclaren
11-17-2010, 08:38 PM
anything, ANYTHING is better than the wizards so this is good.

James17930
11-17-2010, 08:50 PM
^Yeah, the name is good, but that crest is ugly-stupid.

Could they really not have come up with something better than a rip-off of the E. Conf. logo?

Or maybe this proves that the conferences will be gone next year.

troy1982
11-17-2010, 09:46 PM
http://www.mls-rumors.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/SportingTs.jpg

Jimmy Conrad & the new DP Omar Bravo

Chewy Unikronik
11-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Tired of these generic Adidas jerseys and lack of creativity. Especially when it comes to away kits. Let's just flip the colours! Great.

jabbronies
11-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in portugal the reason teams are called "sporting" is because they have multiple teams playing different sports?

Sporting Clube de Portugal (Portuguese pronunciation: also known as Sporting or Sporting CP, and in English often unofficially referred to as Sporting Lisbon, is a Portuguese sports club based in Portugal's capital city of Lisbon. The club is particularly renowned for its football its teams. Athletes and supporters are often nicknamed Leões (The Lions) by its fans. department. With more than 100,000 registered club members

Fort York Redcoat
11-18-2010, 10:08 AM

Time to get a sponsor guys. What about "Corn"?

__wowza
11-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Time to get a sponsor guys. What about "Corn"?

:lol:

__wowza
11-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Tired of these generic Adidas jerseys and lack of creativity. Especially when it comes to away kits. Let's just flip the colours! Great.

in all seriousness though, i mentioned this awhile back:

unless adidas is looking for brand recognition (which is the only reason why i'd see them doing this), i think it'd be cool for them to also bring reebok (owned by adidas)into this. reebok has been manufacturing kits for quite some time now and would provide a breath of fresh air for a lot of the fans.

you could choose which brand you wanted to create your kits, doubling your choice and whilst keeping the adidas sponsorship agreement (they're both run by a single entity, not two seperate corporate divisions).

similar things could happen should the league ever be sponsored by nike (which i don't know why it hasn't happened when nike is american) and umbro.

__wowza
11-18-2010, 11:10 AM
also, check out their site and their fucking stadium:
http://kcw.io-media.com/

apples to oranges my ass. it's completely covered, looks gorgeous (although uninspired), the cheapest seats are $14, most expensive are $64, and they have.. drum roll please..

BENCHED SEATING IN THEIR SUPPORTERS SECTION.

http://www.insightkc.com/sportingbrand/index.html

rocker
11-18-2010, 11:48 AM
also, check out their site and their fucking stadium:
http://kcw.io-media.com/

apples to oranges my ass. it's completely covered, looks gorgeous (although uninspired), the cheapest seats are $14, most expensive are $64, and they have.. drum roll please..

BENCHED SEATING IN THEIR SUPPORTERS SECTION.

they learned a lot from the stadiums and the new experiences that have come in MLS since TFC started.

__wowza
11-18-2010, 12:08 PM
i'd give my middle testicle for a roof/benched seating :(

jloome
11-18-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't like SCKC, but I do like KCSC.

Why not just anglicize it, and use it as a community marketing tool to offer sports branding across several disciplines, not just soccer? Works for Madrid.

Kansas City Sports Club. Nothing wrong with that.

rocker
11-18-2010, 01:11 PM
I don't know if I like "Sports" though... it doesn't have that noble sound that Sporting does.

Since Sporting is an Anglo word already, Kansas City Sporting Club would be fine too.

flatpicker
11-18-2010, 01:28 PM
^ I agree that "Kansas City Sporting Club" would have sounded better.
But I also think "Athletic" would have been as good or better.
At least then they could have been referred to as "Athletics" or "A's",
Which is something Americans are familiar with.

kodiakTFC
11-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in portugal the reason teams are called "sporting" is because they have multiple teams playing different sports?

Sporting Clube de Portugal (Portuguese pronunciation: also known as Sporting or Sporting CP, and in English often unofficially referred to as Sporting Lisbon, is a Portuguese sports club based in Portugal's capital city of Lisbon. The club is particularly renowned for its football its teams. Athletes and supporters are often nicknamed Leões (The Lions) by its fans. department. With more than 100,000 registered club members

Did you read the first post? The ownership plans to bring a Lacrosse and Rugby to their brand and have them plan in their stadium as well.

TOBOR !
11-18-2010, 01:32 PM
4 pages about the Wizards (they'll always be the Wizards to me), I can't believe it.

flatpicker
11-18-2010, 01:34 PM
^ Considering you robots are always looking for ways of obtaining a real heart, I'm not surprised you would have bad feelings about them dumping the wizard!

rocker
11-18-2010, 01:35 PM
they'll always be the Wizards to me

they'll always be the WIZ to me. ;)

__wowza
11-18-2010, 01:42 PM
they'll always be the WIZ to me. ;)

http://173.239.183.194/doll/src/the-wiz.jpg

__wowza
11-18-2010, 03:54 PM
oh, and for anyone that cares, alaska airlines is sponsoring portland's kits.
enjoy seeing this logo..

http://www.seeklogo.com/images/A/Alaska_Airlines-logo-E8909BE242-seeklogo.com.gif

Keystone FC
11-18-2010, 04:43 PM

The navy kit reminds me of th Whitecaps and the sky blue one reminds me of the Rapids...Colorado Rapids not the Rapid in Europe.

Keystone FC
11-18-2010, 04:48 PM
^Yeah, the name is good, but that crest is ugly-stupid.

Could they really not have come up with something better than a rip-off of the E. Conf. logo?

Or maybe this proves that the conferences will be gone next year.
They explain the logo in detail here:

Doesn't make the logo better but it does give some insight into what everything means.

__wowza
11-18-2010, 05:12 PM

Doesn't make the logo better but it does give some insight into what everything means.

but does it explain why it has two snakes fucking on it?

Keystone FC
11-18-2010, 05:26 PM
but does it explain why it has two snakes fucking on it?
Maybe they were inspired by Conan the Barbarian:
OBGOQ7SsJrw

boban
11-18-2010, 06:03 PM
they learned a lot from the stadiums and the new experiences that have come in MLS since TFC started.
You make it sound like TFC had no one to learn from with regards to stadium design.
Home Depot Centre was up and running for a few years and Toyota park was practically done before a shovel hit the ground on the NSS at the CNE. Also Dallas was opened. As far design, all better than NSS. Two of those had a proper roof. TFC also knew what was coming down the road with RBNY (the nixed design was even FAR better than what TFC put up). The NSS was a dramatic step BACKWARD for the SSS popping up in North America.
Stop being an apologist for MLSE.

twistedchinaman
11-18-2010, 06:16 PM
It's a good start for sure, renaming to Sporting Club. The Wizards idea was born out of a fairy tale written by L Frank Baum, and while local enough...was sorta dumb.

It could've been worse...Kansas City Stockyard Workers.

rocker
11-18-2010, 08:04 PM
You make it sound like TFC had no one to learn from with regards to stadium design.

I "make it sound like" ??? Sorry those sounds are the crazy voices you're hearing in your head every day.

I simply make the point that the stadium KC is building is based upon all the things that has come since TFC burst on the scene and took MLS into the next generation. KC is building on NYRB's experience... on Philly Union's experience... on TFC's experience...

I contend that NOBODY would have built a stadium like that in 2006... so there's no reason for people to criticize BMO for not looking like that. Who would spend 180 million or more on a soccer specific stadium before 2007?? Nobody.

p.s. BMO Field is designed using some elements from other stadiums.... but of course the model wasn't as diverse in 2006 as it is now. And if TFC knew this thing would blow up, they would have spent more $$$$ tricking out BMO Field. But hindsight makes you look like a genius, doesn't it?

James17930
11-18-2010, 09:54 PM

Wow -- they brought Asclepius into it.

Well that does it for me :lol:

billyfly
11-18-2010, 11:10 PM
THE REAL SPORTING

http://ma-schamba.com/ficheiros/sporting1002xf.jpg

greatwhitenorf
11-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Lifted off of a Spurs fan website, mock MLS names for possible future franchises.

(Energie) Penobscottbus
ADO Den Hagerstown
Hearts of Oakland
Hajduk Pitt(sburgh)
Key West Ham United
GreenBayern Leversconsin
Stoke-lahoma City
Cape Henlopeñarol
Feyenoord Dakota
FC Barceloneonta
Real Fargoza
Sao Palo Alto
Cheyenne-derlecht
FC Lokomotiv Chattanooga
Zenit St. Petersburg (FL)
Crewe Alexandria (VA)
Bayonne Leverkusen
BSC Young Boise
Aston Wasilla
Tupelo-komotiv
Racine Santander
Savannahthinaikos
Boca Raton Juniors
Moose Jawventus
Dayton Orient
Minneapolis-St. Pauli
Niagara Grampus Eight
Oklahoma City Sounders
Kansaslautern
Galatallahassee
Aspen Villa
West Bromwich Albany
Newell’s Old Boise
Go Ahead Philadelphia Eagles
Borussia Kansasgladbach
Green BayErn Leversconsin
Kentucky FC
Castel Di Sacramento

+ Future Canadian entries

ExtremaDurham

Hamilton Macadamians

Kawartha Antlers

manic.street.preacher
11-19-2010, 04:57 AM
^ #FutureMLSFranchise is about as awesome as it gets with hashtags ... re: rebrand, as much as the names Wizards sucks, i'm not terribly keen on the change

TOBOR !
11-19-2010, 08:24 AM
^^ *yawn*

Cashcleaner
11-19-2010, 08:31 AM
^ #FutureMLSFranchise is about as awesome as it gets with hashtags ... re: rebrand, as much as the names Wizards sucks, i'm not terribly keen on the change

I say we start using their nickname for Kansas City. Inoffensive Soccer Franchise FC.

Macksam
11-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Wiz/Wizards = stupid
Sporting = pretentious

Pretentious or stupid? I personally would go with stupidity.

CBTFC
11-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Kentucky FC

To celebrate opening day, every fan gets a free bucket of chicken upon entry to the stadium.

boban
11-19-2010, 04:01 PM
I "make it sound like" ??? Sorry those sounds are the crazy voices you're hearing in your head every day.

I simply make the point that the stadium KC is building is based upon all the things that has come since TFC burst on the scene and took MLS into the next generation. KC is building on NYRB's experience... on Philly Union's experience... on TFC's experience...

I contend that NOBODY would have built a stadium like that in 2006... so there's no reason for people to criticize BMO for not looking like that. Who would spend 180 million or more on a soccer specific stadium before 2007?? Nobody.

p.s. BMO Field is designed using some elements from other stadiums.... but of course the model wasn't as diverse in 2006 as it is now. And if TFC knew this thing would blow up, they would have spent more $$$$ tricking out BMO Field. But hindsight makes you look like a genius, doesn't it?
Well you are incorrect. RBNY were planning a stadium. Yes when Red Bull bought the team a design change happened, but even the nixed plans were on par with what KC has or even better. The NSS at the CNE was a regression of the stadiums being built 4,5, 6 years ago.
Honestly, what designs in the tin box that we have are so prevailing in these new stadiums?
MLSE knew TFC was going to make money from the get go. Make no mistake about that. They knew it. They sold it as a risk so they would only spend minimal on infrastructure on that stadium.

__wowza
11-19-2010, 04:14 PM
^^
and then they realized that they could pack a stadium regardless of perks like a roof.

Chewy Unikronik
11-19-2010, 04:47 PM

What a bunch of Hoooey! Do they really think this shit up when designing? Please.

CommradePolski
11-19-2010, 04:49 PM
As long as they still look like smurfs and we can chirp em about that Im good with it.

troy1982
11-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Badge up close
http://www.tpbphoto.com/photos/1095403777_o7Ng5-M-1.jpg

rocker
11-20-2010, 12:40 PM
the badge looks better on the shirt than in the JPG image.

ilikemusic
11-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Im guessing the 'sporting club' idea is meant to be symbolic and 'connect' all levels of soccer to the team.

Their new stadium is a big sports complex is it not? With like 15 pitches or something like that?

Im guessing they see the 'Sporting Club' and an all-inclusive term that refers to the entire complex, any teams playing there, and by extension, all the players that go there.

I could speak in more abstract corporate bullshit speak, but I would have to punch myself in the face for being a douche if I did.

rocker
11-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Their new stadium is a big sports complex is it not? With like 15 pitches or something like that?

the previous incarnation of the KC stadium complex at another location had the additional community pitches alongside... this one does not, mainly cuz it's located right in a shopping/entertainment area.

kodiakTFC
11-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Im guessing the 'sporting club' idea is meant to be symbolic and 'connect' all levels of soccer to the team.

It doesn't. Its Sporting because they plan to have a rugby and lacrosse team.

James17930
11-20-2010, 11:19 PM
the previous incarnation of the KC stadium complex at another location had the additional community pitches alongside... this one does not, mainly cuz it's located right in a shopping/entertainment area.

In the interview with the KC guy on It's Called Football he said they are still going to have those 15 - 20 pitches next to the stadium . . . or maybe I misunderstood.

rocker
11-21-2010, 12:05 AM
In the interview with the KC guy on It's Called Football he said they are still going to have those 15 - 20 pitches next to the stadium . . . or maybe I misunderstood.

well, it could be further down the street. But not right next to the stadium, as the stadium is blocked on three sides.... unless they've bought out the parking lot of the Nebraska Furniture Mart.

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=39.1218,-94.8237&ie=UTF8&ll=39.122153,-94.823921&spn=0.008207,0.013797&z=16

if they're talking regulation pitches, they could probably squeeze three or four to the immediate left in that stretch of grass between the motor speedway and the stadium. Although it looks like the other greenspace around the motor speedway is used for parking.

RicoSuave44
11-21-2010, 05:24 AM
How have 3/4 of us voted for the new name/logo??!?! As bad as the old name was, the new one is 5x worse. Up there with Real Salt Lake for worst in league. Seriously.... Wizards is a pretty badass name. ATM it's crappy... but 30 odd years from now I reckon it would have the same throwback zany ring to it as 'Knickerbockers' sounds today. Plus the name Wizards actually has some history behind it. FFS, at least in South America when Liverpool, Everton, Barcelona etc were created they were formed by ex-pats with a connection to the name. How many Portuguese are in KC?! It's a stupid marketing ploy.... just like fuzzy mascots and cheerleaders and shoot-outs. Sounding 'ethnic' or 'established' is the current trend. Typical American Disneyfication of the beautiful game.
To all those who voted for the new name.... please GYHAS!!!!!

/end rant

james
11-22-2010, 03:13 PM
How have 3/4 of us voted for the new name/logo??!?! As bad as the old name was, the new one is 5x worse. Up there with Real Salt Lake for worst in league. Seriously.... Wizards is a pretty badass name. ATM it's crappy... but 30 odd years from now I reckon it would have the same throwback zany ring to it as 'Knickerbockers' sounds today. Plus the name Wizards actually has some history behind it. FFS, at least in South America when Liverpool, Everton, Barcelona etc were created they were formed by ex-pats with a connection to the name. How many Portuguese are in KC?! It's a stupid marketing ploy.... just like fuzzy mascots and cheerleaders and shoot-outs. Sounding 'ethnic' or 'established' is the current trend. Typical American Disneyfication of the beautiful game.

/end rant

pfftt, wizards is the worst name in the league. Its a joke. Sporting isnt great but it looks and sounds better then the Kansas City Wizards name and crest. In the 30 years it still would be a shit name!

james
11-22-2010, 03:19 PM

i totally agree with this.

Big Bruva
11-23-2010, 02:02 AM
I like the change, actually sounds like a Football team instead of a NHL, NBA, NFL team.

Oldtimer
11-23-2010, 09:20 AM
MLSE knew TFC was going to make money from the get go. Make no mistake about that. They knew it. They sold it as a risk so they would only spend minimal on infrastructure on that stadium.

All indications were that ML$E was shocked and surprised by TFC's popularity, and while they thought it would be profitable in the long-haul, they were disorganized and unprepared for 20K+ fans.

For example, in year 1, they ran out of jerseys within a very short time. If they had known what was going to happen, they would have trucked in huge amounts of merchandise to make more $$$$ (and we know that ML$E loves money). The RPB board in year one had multiple threads of "I found some jerseys in XYZ store!" That's because you couldn't get merchandise for the longest while.

The decision to cheap-out the stadium was actually not made by ML$E, it was made by the CSA because they didn't get the funding from the Feds for the U-20 tournament that they expected (that's why we didn't get the roof that was in the initial plans). All plans had to be approved by the CSA's board (comprised of the leaders of the provincial associations, all with their own agendas) and 3 levels of government so ML$E would not have been able to change much, even if they had wanted to. All of this is fully documented because the negotiations were quite public due to the Toronto city council being involved. I say this not to be an apologist for ML$E, but just to set the record straight.

Fort York Redcoat
11-23-2010, 09:28 AM

/end rant

Although you're right about the relevance-through-ethnicity ploy most worldwide fans would call the initial names of MLS a disneyfacation of the game not contrived changes like these.

Ricky_Portugal
11-30-2010, 02:46 AM
THE REAL SPORTING

gloioso s.l.b.

billyfly
11-30-2010, 12:31 PM
^Spell it right Ricky lol...

Glorioso.

rocker
11-30-2010, 12:41 PM
in a year or two, KC fans will get used to the name -- they'll be fine with it.
Human beings are funny that way... change comes and people get pissed off cuz it disrupts what they know... then a few years later that change seems normal.

and new fans of the team will start with the new name and have no connection to the old.
They'll be like "they called it Wiz and Wizards before? glad they changed to Sporting!"

and expanding the brand internationally will probably be easier with sporting in the name than Wizards... must be kinda funny when you contact players in other countries about signings and you say "I'm calling from the Wizards..." ugh. haha.

tfcmanu
11-30-2010, 01:27 PM
^Spell it right Ricky lol...

Glorioso.
WoW...Ricky, Gloioso...LOL My Portuguese isn't the best, However that made be laugh GLORIOSO it is, :facepalm:

Jeffro
11-30-2010, 01:50 PM
THE REAL SPORTING

The REAL real Sporting ;)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XGnQrL8fEK4/TJeVEh5K1dI/AAAAAAAABcM/pNYZPYUdHzw/s1600/Sporting+Gijon.gif

tfcmanu
11-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Maybe The REAL REAL Sporting is Sporting De Gijon Founded 1905, However The Biggest Sporting Club Is Sporting Clube De Portugal.

Sporting Clube de Portugal - Founded July 1, 1906
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_Clube_de_Portugal

Sporting de Gijón - Founded 1905
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_de_Gij%C3%B3n

Sporting Clube de Braga - Founded 1921
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_Clube_de_Braga

Here are other Sportings:

Sporting Al Riyadi Beirut (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Sporting_Al_Riyadi_Beirut), a sports club from Beirut (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Beirut), Lebanon (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Lebanon)
Sporting Clube de Portugal (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Sporting_Clube_de_Portugal), a sports club from Lisbon (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Lisbon), Portugal (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Portugal).
A.O. Sporting BC Athens (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Sporting_BC), Greek (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Greece) professional basketball team (Athens (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Athens)).
Club Sporting Cristal (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Club_Sporting_Cristal), a sports club from Lima (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Lima), Peru (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Peru).
Sporting Clube da Covilhã (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Sporting_Clube_da_Covilh%C3%A3), a sports club from Covilhã (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Covilh%C3%A3), Portugal (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Portugal).
Sporting Clube de Braga (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Sporting_Clube_de_Braga), a sports club from Braga (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Braga), Portugal (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Portugal).
Real Sporting de Gijón (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Real_Sporting_de_Gij%C3%B3n), a football club from Gijón (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Gij%C3%B3n), Spain (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Spain).
Sporting Charleroi (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Sporting_Charleroi), a football club from Charleroi (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Charleroi), Belgium (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Belgium).
Sporting Clube de Goa (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Sporting_Clube_de_Goa), a sports club from Goa (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Goa), India (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/India).
Sporting Kansas City (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Sporting_Kansas_City), a soccer (football) club from Kansas City, Kansas (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Kansas_City,_Kansas), USA (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/United_States)

Alixir
11-30-2010, 02:45 PM
At least KC has a really nice stadium...All these nice new stadiums in MLS. Too bad MLSE hired an architect that had no clue about designing a footie specific stadia.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-30-2010, 03:13 PM
gotta remember it was on a budget at the whim of the crown/province/city

TOBOR !
11-30-2010, 03:19 PM
At least KC has a really nice stadium...All these nice new stadiums in MLS. Too bad MLSE hired an architect that had no clue about designing a footie specific stadia.

you haven't been paying attention.

Alixir
11-30-2010, 03:30 PM
you haven't been paying attention.sorry I don't devote my life to these forums.

billyfly
11-30-2010, 04:07 PM
The REAL real Sporting ;)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XGnQrL8fEK4/TJeVEh5K1dI/AAAAAAAABcM/pNYZPYUdHzw/s1600/Sporting+Gijon.gif

Granted there are only 3 (maybe) guys from Spain in Toronto, so I don;t know but the most talked about Sporting is the famously misnamed Sporting Lisbon and not Gijon. Good try you long haired freak (remember you said no names could hurt you...lol)

billyfly
11-30-2010, 04:09 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/81zB_t81_Dc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/81zB_t81_Dc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81zB_t81_Dc

Why does my embed not work!??

Alixir
11-30-2010, 04:25 PM
81zB_t81_Dc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81zB_t81_Dc

Why does my embed not work!??fixed

billyfly
11-30-2010, 04:27 PM
How?

Jeffro
11-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Granted there are only 3 (maybe) guys from Spain in Toronto, so I don;t know but the most talked about Sporting is the famously misnamed Sporting Lisbon and not Gijon. Good try you long haired freak (remember you said no names could hurt you...lol)

Hah! That's a strange definition of "real" ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_de_Gij%C3%B3n

Real Sporting de Gijón, S.A.D. is a Spanish (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Spain) football (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Football_(soccer)) club from Gijón (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Gij%C3%B3n), Asturias (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Asturias). Founded in 1 June 1905, it currently plays in Spanish first division (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/La_Liga).

I think you guys missed my joke :)

... and it's true, you know how many times I got called Beckerman on MLS cup weekend?? LOL

billyfly
11-30-2010, 04:39 PM
I got the Real REAL joke and that's why I used REAL SPORTING in my initial post as well...lol

Unlike Spain we didn't need Royal money for futebol (although Portugal could use some now) although funny enough SCP are known as the rich man's or elites club.

Beckerman? LOL...

Juanito
12-01-2010, 09:57 PM

I hate that name. Yeah .... they must represent the Kingdom of the Mormons in some alternate universe.

Juanito
12-01-2010, 10:01 PM
How?

Aren't you an IT guy Billy?

This is how you do it:

The link in YOU TUBE looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY4pL1qOfyQ

Copy the stufff AFTER the equals ... in this vase its: gY4pL1qOfyQ

Put that inside the

tags

This is what you get:

[YOUTUBE]gY4pL1qOfyQ

redcard
12-01-2010, 11:17 PM
sorry I don't devote my life to these forums.

at least read the posts before your post and you would realize that mlse had nothing to do with the stadium design

boban
12-01-2010, 11:25 PM
gotta remember it was on a budget at the whim of the crown/province/city
Not really.
MLSE pumped pretty much fuck all into the project.
$10-15mil more into the project would have gone a long way.

Alixir
12-05-2010, 08:38 PM
at least read the posts before your post and you would realize that mlse had nothing to do with the stadium designok then let me rephrase what I wrote...Too bad (whoever was responsible for BMO Field) hired an architect that had no clue about designing a footie specific stadia.

billyfly
12-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Aren't you an IT guy Billy?

This is how you do it:

The link in YOU TUBE looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY4pL1qOfyQ

Copy the stufff AFTER the equals ... in this vase its: gY4pL1qOfyQ

Put that inside the

tags

This is what you get:

[youtube]gY4pL1qOfyQ

Thanks Juan, Alixir already told me.

The Youtube link on the RPB site worked with the FULL embed code offered by Youtube before. Now it only works with the video identifier.

TOBOR !
12-06-2010, 08:18 AM
ok then let me rephrase what I wrote...Too bad (whoever was responsible for BMO Field) hired an architect that had no clue about designing a footie specific stadia.

No. That's not it either.

Here, let me help you by quoting Oldtimer from page 5 :

All indications were that ML$E was shocked and surprised by TFC's popularity, and while they thought it would be profitable in the long-haul, they were disorganized and unprepared for 20K+ fans.

For example, in year 1, they ran out of jerseys within a very short time. If they had known what was going to happen, they would have trucked in huge amounts of merchandise to make more $$$$ (and we know that ML$E loves money). The RPB board in year one had multiple threads of "I found some jerseys in XYZ store!" That's because you couldn't get merchandise for the longest while.

The decision to cheap-out the stadium was actually not made by ML$E, it was made by the CSA because they didn't get the funding from the Feds for the U-20 tournament that they expected (that's why we didn't get the roof that was in the initial plans). All plans had to be approved by the CSA's board (comprised of the leaders of the provincial associations, all with their own agendas) and 3 levels of government so ML$E would not have been able to change much, even if they had wanted to. All of this is fully documented because the negotiations were quite public due to the Toronto city council being involved. I say this not to be an apologist for ML$E, but just to set the record straight.

I bolded the relevant bit for you, but left the rest of the post so you can see the context.

Hope this helps.

Alixir
12-06-2010, 09:01 AM
No. That's not it either.

Here, let me help you by quoting Oldtimer from page 5 :

I bolded the relevant bit for you, but left the rest of the post so you can see the context.

Hope this helps.still the whole just of my post was that whoever was responsible for BMO field, wether it be the CSA, the federal government, God, you....regardless of how much money was spent, hired someone with little to no clue about football stadiums to design the place.
I would like to see some of the other designs that were proposed before they settled on BMO's design.