PDA

View Full Version : Do you think there should be a change in national team eligibility rules?

Shway
11-13-2010, 01:03 PM
The reason why i present this is because, its bothers me when i read about the US missing out, and poaching players.

For instance in the case of Teal, i know it was just a call up, so he isnt cap tied "yet". However, I believe the rule should be if your place of birth comes calling for you first!, you should have to first play for them.
Its annoying to read "zakuani chooses Congo over US".....uhhh.....noo........hes not eligible to play for the US, he just came to the US...........and that the nation he should be playing for.

MY change rules would be:

- You have to play for your national team IF they come calling for you.(jonathan de guzman, teal bunbury, david hoillet).
If they dont you can THEN proceed to switch. (jermaine jones, and a bunch of other German players)

- You have the option to play for only your parents nations.

- You qualify to choose to play for a country if you have lived there for 6+ years before the age of 20.

Im annoyed because if Canada has a player, and he is a potential star playing abroad, or in the MLS, and they are making a name for themself, aslong as the first rule isnt implemented, then Canada will be consistenly loosing players, because everybody knows 80% of the population is a first generation Canadian.

Am I the only one who thinks the rules should change?

kodiakTFC
11-13-2010, 01:05 PM
It is a shame that we miss out on so many players. If you take a look at what our team could like we improve quite a lot. I especially hate these players who are basically mercenaries who have no connection to the teams they play for.

TFC Bhoy
11-13-2010, 01:59 PM
i don't agree that it should be just where you were born, because say someone was born here in canada, but only lived here for a 2 or 3 years then their parents moved them to somewhere in Europe say. So they can't remember anything about Canada, did all their training and that in another country, I don't think that's fair to that other country or the person that they should be forced to play for Canada. Or it could be vice versa, but you get my point i think

prizby
11-13-2010, 02:56 PM
i think if a player comes up from a nations youth system, they should be forced to sign a letter of intent to play with that teams national team should they be called upon in a reasonable amount of time (say as long as you are u-23 eligible, you can't switch nations, but after u-23, if you haven't been called upon by the national team, you are free to switch without having to pay compensation...you pay compensation if you continually reject call ups then switch post u-23). Should a player decide to break that letter of intent, they should owe the federation the amount of money that it cost to send them to tournaments and give them the coaching that increased their ability.

Shway
11-13-2010, 03:09 PM
i don't agree that it should be just where you were born, because say someone was born here in canada, but only lived here for a 2 or 3 years then their parents moved them to somewhere in Europe say. So they can't remember anything about Canada, did all their training and that in another country, I don't think that's fair to that other country or the person that they should be forced to play for Canada. Or it could be vice versa, but you get my point i think

agree....thats why i said,
spent a significant number of years before the age of 18-20 in the couuntry of NOT there birth is acceptable

razor787
11-13-2010, 03:29 PM
I think it should go to the country they spent the most years of their life in. Any country you live in for 6 years before the age if 20, are eligible for your choosing. So if you spend 7years in Canada, 7 in the US, and 6 in England. You can choose wherever you want.

I would also allow players to appeal decisions. Let's say they lived in Canada for 5 years, instead of the 6, but have bigger family ties to Canada, then FIFA can review it, and decide to let him play there, or stick with the rules.

J .
11-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Canada is losing a solid player or prosect every year. I think its been four years and four prospects or players lost.

Begovic, JDG2, Lensky, Bunbury.

ag futbol
11-13-2010, 05:46 PM
I don't think there should be many conditions. But, I think if you play for a country at any level, in any game, you should be cap-tied.

This stuff with lensky, begovic, is completely ridiculous. Play for whoever you want but no switching....