PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Friday,Nov.12

denime
11-12-2010, 06:17 AM
Mornin'

Klinsmann promises TFC blueprint for success (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/889639--klinsmann-promises-tfc-blueprint-for-success)

Klinsmann starts on road to reform Toronto FC (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/klinsmann-starts-on-road-to-reform-toronto-fc/article1795603/)

Klinsmann ready to help reshape Toronto FC (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/11/11/sp-klinsmann.html)

Klinsmann hits the road to rebuild TFC (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/11/11/klinsmann_tfc/)

Hiring of Klinsmann raises questions (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/11/11/16099876.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Oldtimer
11-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Honest. Straightforward. Realistic.
Words that had been relegated to mere dictionary fodder during the Mo Johnston reign sprang immediately to mind Thursday as Juergen Klinsmann unveiled his mandate as Toronto FC’s soccer consultant for the first time.

:rofl:

Technorgasm
11-12-2010, 07:58 AM
how come short girls always have disproportionatly larger chests?
being 6'4".. . . short girls just dont cut the mustard. . but her mustard dress cant hide her emerging bosom

Klins or anyone else.. my judgement will depend on quanitiable results.
all this talk of "Tell me how you want to play" stuff

does not tell me he has his own vision. so many times in my life and work its the requirements, and direction that guide a project, when its better to list the results you want and let teh HIGH paid 'consultant connect the dots and find the best most efficient way to get them.

not confident. . still seems like MLSE steers this ship.
"how do you want to play"
we want to win the MLS cup. . there go. . . do it. . .

[NBF]
11-12-2010, 08:17 AM
SSG: She's a hottie:)

Klinsmann: This is like the time that I took the vehicle to the dealership and told them that there was a leak in the car because there was a puddle of water on the floor and they told me that everything was good with the door seals and they tried to replicate the leak and were unable to do so. I still had to pay for their time. So my point is never trust the dealership, because if they tried to replicate the leak, there wouldn't have been any of the dust that I had put on there from before I brought it in.

Its time for a new car or Its time to replace every single seal, or time for me to learn about mechanics, or all of the above.

Oldtimer
11-12-2010, 08:31 AM
The Sun article is missing an important point: before you hire a "big name" to manage the club, you need to know what style you want to play. Each manager has their own preferences.

King Jeff
11-12-2010, 08:39 AM
SSG is very cute.

Beach_Red
11-12-2010, 09:32 AM
The Sun article is missing an important point: before you hire a "big name" to manage the club, you need to know what style you want to play. Each manager has their own preferences.

So won't that make it tough to find a good manager if he has to implement someone else's preferered style? Someone else who won't even be under contract with the club by then?

It really looks like Soccer Solutions will design the plan and then Daso and Cochran can implement it. If it's a good plan that works, who cares, but the Sun is right, if it doesn't work there are plenty of built in excuses for everyone left with the team.

Roogsy
11-12-2010, 09:42 AM
I have to agree with Wheeler. I know Wheeler is a bag full of hot air and seems to have a chip on his shoulder about MLSE, but can you really blame him?

His point about Klinsmann ultimately having no accountability and this being more of an interesting exercise than a real long-term project are quite valid. At the end of the day, Anselmi is still in charge, he will still be making the decision who to hire and he will still be running things long after Klinsmann cashes in his cheque and goes back to the sun and beach of California.

We are still screwed.

Anselmi has no idea what he is doing with this football club and it will once again begin to show after the new order is put in place. What happens when it begins to have struggles (as all "new" teams often do) and there is no Juergen around to tell him what to do? Once again it will be up to Uncle Tom to make a decision and as we have already learned, he isn't good at that.

__wowza
11-12-2010, 09:56 AM
;1165305']Klinsmann: This is like the time that I took the vehicle to the dealership and told them that there was a leak in the car because there was a puddle of water on the floor and they told me that everything was good with the door seals and they tried to replicate the leak and were unable to do so. I still had to pay for their time. So my point is never trust the dealership, because if they tried to replicate the leak, there wouldn't have been any of the dust that I had put on there from before I brought it in.

this has to be the most confusing metaphor i've ever read on the boards.

Fort York Redcoat
11-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Anselmi has no idea what he is doing with this football club and it will once again begin to show after the new order is put in place. What happens when it begins to have struggles (as all "new" teams often do) and there is no Juergen around to tell him what to do? Once again it will be up to Uncle Tom to make a decision and as we have already learned, he isn't good at that.

I am NOT calling him that. :nono:

Yagbod
11-12-2010, 10:53 AM
SSG is very cute.

I still like Techo's new signature picture better...:yum:

Yozzarian
11-12-2010, 11:42 AM
My favourite bit: "What does Toronto FC stand for?"

-The FC part has been left intentionally vague since day 1.

jloome
11-12-2010, 12:40 PM
I have to agree with Wheeler. I know Wheeler is a bag full of hot air and seems to have a chip on his shoulder about MLSE, but can you really blame him?

His point about Klinsmann ultimately having no accountability and this being more of an interesting exercise than a real long-term project are quite valid. At the end of the day, Anselmi is still in charge, he will still be making the decision who to hire and he will still be running things long after Klinsmann cashes in his cheque and goes back to the sun and beach of California.

We are still screwed.

What is the purpose to Wheeler's rant, except to point out inadequacies within MLSE? If that were the long-term predictor of success for the club, I might care.

But the very fact that they're going outside to get help to make the club work long-term suggests to me it's largely irrelevant whether this does or doesn't lead to systemic change within the company.

Pointless article that weighs heavily to a side without any sense of balance. You can't acknowledge, on the one hand, that the person you've picked to handle hiring is an expert with tons of connections then turn right around and question his value.

That's irrational.

So really, he's mixing up two different issues: the long-term construction of the team and the accountability of the management of the company that owns it.

I'd rather concentrate on the former. Not being a shareholder in MLSE, I don't really give a shit about the latter.

Oldtimer
11-12-2010, 12:51 PM
So really, he's mixing up two different issues: the long-term construction of the team and the accountability of the management of the company that owns it.

I'd rather concentrate on the former. Not being a shareholder in MLSE, I don't really give a shit about the latter.

Well put!

mastermixer
11-12-2010, 12:57 PM
I wonder how much influence Klinsmann will have in the persuasion part of getting a new coach and GM. If I am a coach and I see Klinsmann is asking me to coach a team he has no interest in, I'd think hard about it. Get Anselmi thrown into the mix and it makes it harder.

Beach_Red
11-12-2010, 01:12 PM

How does bringing in a consultant for a few months before the season starts to make some suggestions address the "long-term construction of the team," and what operation in the world has ever been successful without having accountbility?

TOBOR !
11-12-2010, 02:00 PM
It's not just about bringing in the best managers and players, only to see them fail or play an unfavourable style.

The romanticism of soccer allows for each team to have it's own culture, it's own style, if you will.

The belief is that the style of the team reflects the culture and ideas of the area it represents. This is what Juergen is trying to discover and this will be his greatest challenge. He is going to ask us what we are about. What do we believe in ? What makes us laugh or cry ?

He wants to understand us, and only when he does will he be able to get to work.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Why bother to bring this guy in at all if they arent going to take him seriously?
I dont think they will take his suggestions lightly especially considering where they stand with supporters right now

Heart of Stone
11-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Is K.C. hosting next year's MLS Cup?

jloome
11-13-2010, 12:18 AM
How does bringing in a consultant for a few months before the season starts to make some suggestions address the "long-term construction of the team," and what operation in the world has ever been successful without having accountbility?

He's a hiring consultant. He suggests good people to hire. They rebuild the club.

Not sure where this one's that complicated, and the accountability, as with any team, will be with the new GM.

Redcoe15
11-13-2010, 01:33 AM
Is K.C. hosting next year's MLS Cup?
Not that anyone's aware of. Of course, New York would be the favourites to host next year's cup, one would assume.

TFCRegina
11-13-2010, 04:26 AM
We missed an article.

Klinsmann generates massive hits from Germany for Canadian News Websites

Auzzy
11-13-2010, 09:45 AM
We missed an article.

Klinsmann generates massive hits from Germany for Canadian News Websites

Is that actually an article? There's no link. Or just a joke?

Beach_Red
11-13-2010, 10:43 AM
He's a hiring consultant. He suggests good people to hire. They rebuild the club.

Not sure where this one's that complicated, and the accountability, as with any team, will be with the new GM.

It's not complicated, but consultants have a spotty record in many industries. Hasn't the newspaper business spent a lot of money on consultants? And if the new GM has to implement someone else's plan then be accountable for it, will that have any effect on potential GM hires? Isn't it possible that many successful, qualified GMs and coaches would rather be responsible for their own plan?

Would Steve Nicol take the job of implementing someone else's plan to build an MLS team instead of his own?

jloome
11-13-2010, 12:12 PM
It's not complicated, but consultants have a spotty record in many industries. Hasn't the newspaper business spent a lot of money on consultants?

Would Steve Nicol take the job of implementing someone else's plan to build an MLS team instead of his own?

No, it hasn't A

And no, because it's not his "plan", it's a hiring structure. It may impact the corporate makeup of the club, but not who's on the pitch doing the job. That seems unlikely.

Really John, I'm not sure where you see the negative in having Jurgen Klinsmann help identify good football people and a good football plan.

Beach_Red
11-13-2010, 12:48 PM
^ the problem isn't in the identifying, that's fine. They can't do it themselves so they hire someone. I wished they'd done it four years ago.

It's the implementation that worries me. I would have peferred if they'd hired someone like Nicol and given him a 3-4 year contract to be here and run the team. Who knows, that may be what gets recommended and it'll all work out fine.

Anyway, I think Ensco is right and MLSE is going through some big changes. It' tough to have faith in them right now so going outside was a good move. I've worked for plenty of movie producers whose willingness to accept advice was directly related to who was giving it (and how much it costs), so it's true, I expect that MLSE will listen to this advice more than they would if the same things were coming from someone else.